Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I immediately imagine his little robot sitting at a kotatsu snipping at a runner and kinda cried all over again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Laughed about it in the shonen thread, but still love the Kagurabachi author just talking about his Dragon Ball Heroes addiction, doesn't even mention Toriyama at all lol

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Some Numbers posted:

I wonder how many slave laborers died/will die to make that.

Probably as many that animated this show.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Laughed about it in the shonen thread, but still love the Kagurabachi author just talking about his Dragon Ball Heroes addiction, doesn't even mention Toriyama at all lol

It's also a fun game of "spot the 24 year old"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean hes talking about how toriyamas work influenced his childhood lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

based

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the real hosed up thing is that the kagurabachi guy is in the age range where kai was probably his first exposure to the main series

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Don't say that

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

For the record I do sincerely love Kagurabachi guy's comment. It sticks out in a good way against everyone else's comments.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Digging back into the thread a bit, but...

A Fancy Hat posted:

I'm reading the manga now and it's especially weird because they apparently did the Dragonball Z chapters before they went back and did Dragonball (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

So Piccolo talks normally when he fights Goku at the Budokai, then it's 5 years later and he's talking like he's performing Shakespeare. But he stops doing it by the time he's training Gohan. So it reads like he went through a theater kid stage and quickly gave up on it once he made a friend.
The way it happened was, Viz originally released their versions of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z simultaneously. So by the time they got to Demon King Piccolo in DB, they'd long since dropped his elevated speech in Z.

They also started the manga a few months before Toonami started running the anime and people could actually watch it at a reasonable time, so I'm betting a lot of localization aspects had yet to be set in stone.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Could Demon King Piccolo theoretically have unlocked Orange with his dragon ball wish? Or do you think the dragon has to consider you a bro to throw in the "extra"?

This is assuming he somehow knows to wish for unlocked potential in the first place I guess.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Could Devil Man have defeated Kid Buu

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Nah I figure he was a pretty low level human-centric devil. He isn't strong enough, and plus the devilmite beam targeted an opponent's heart and buu probably doesn't even have one.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Waffleman_ posted:

He would be able to explode Buu but Buu can just reform from that.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

feetnotes posted:

Could Demon King Piccolo theoretically have unlocked Orange with his dragon ball wish? Or do you think the dragon has to consider you a bro to throw in the "extra"?

This is assuming he somehow knows to wish for unlocked potential in the first place I guess.

The way Shenron mentioned throwing in something extra, it seemed like a bonus for being a bro, yeah. Demon King Piccolo probably wouldn't have been given Orange.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also devilman explodes the evil in you but kid buu is a creature driven by pure id and instinct. like frieza, demon king piccolo, cell, super buu, they're all cognizant that their actions are evil and take pleasure in that. kid buu has a sadistic element to his personality but it feels more like how a gorilla or monkey might smile at the pain of other primates, it doesnt feel like there's conscious malice.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

feetnotes posted:

For Orange to matter Demon King Piccolo would need to be in prime fighting form so it would have taken a second wish.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like Orange is like the result of a ton of different factors and not something common. Piccolo had to split himself in half, die, reincarnate, train insanely hard, fuse with another dude, then fuse with himself, then train insanely hard, and then get his potential unlocked Guru-style in addition to a favor from a dragon to pull it off. King Piccolo probably just couldn't.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like Orange is like the result of a ton of different factors and not something common. Piccolo had to split himself in half, die, reincarnate, train insanely hard, fuse with another dude, then fuse with himself, then train insanely hard, and then get his potential unlocked Guru-style in addition to a favor from a dragon to pull it off. King Piccolo probably just couldn't.

We're in total agreement that the bonus from the dragon is critical here, though, right? Like, even if Demon King Piccolo was totally capable in every other way, he wouldn't have access to Orange because Shenron just wouldn't give it to him.

This raises another question. Shenron's been powered up since the start of Z. Would pre-Z Shenron even be capable of giving Orange to Piccolo?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

We're in total agreement that the bonus from the dragon is critical here, though, right? Like, even if Demon King Piccolo was totally capable in every other way, he wouldn't have access to Orange because Shenron just wouldn't give it to him.

This raises another question. Shenron's been powered up since the start of Z. Would pre-Z Shenron even be capable of giving Orange to Piccolo?

It's hard to say if Orange is something he could ever have unlocked or not because the concept of 'potential unleashed' is so nebulous. Could Gohan have unlocked Beast without the combo of Guru Potential Unleashed and Old Kai Potential Unleashed? The way he got it? Yeah, that's all dragon. It's not clear if that means it can only come from the dragon or not. If Piccolo got his potential unlocked by Guru maybe it would be a different story or maybe not.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

My money's on Devilman making the evil within Kid Buu swell and explode results in the solar system being destroyed.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Majin Buu and Kid Buu are clear Devilman counters. He could explode Super Buu though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Devilman (Toriyama) vs Devilman (Nagai)

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 20 days!)

King of Solomon posted:

The way Shenron mentioned throwing in something extra, it seemed like a bonus for being a bro, yeah. Demon King Piccolo probably wouldn't have been given Orange.

Piccolo cashing in on Bulma’s Redeem 10 wishes, get one free card

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There is that as well. The dragon being so grateful at the chance to grant a meaningful wish he threw in something extra for free.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Endorph posted:

also devilman explodes the evil in you but kid buu is a creature driven by pure id and instinct. like frieza, demon king piccolo, cell, super buu, they're all cognizant that their actions are evil and take pleasure in that. kid buu has a sadistic element to his personality but it feels more like how a gorilla or monkey might smile at the pain of other primates, it doesnt feel like there's conscious malice.
Kid Buu may only be able to communicate in monkey noises and chest-beating but he absolutely knows what he's doing, and he does it because he's a horrible little shitbag.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

P funny Shenron did give him that bonus considering Piccolo killed him that one time.

Also maybe pre-ToP was a good time to unlock your potential but I forget what the status of the Dragon Balls were at that point, being inert or not.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

devil man could defeat frieza but he could not defeat anyone that can regenerate. topic locked

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Majin Buu and Kid Buu are clear Devilman counters. He could explode Super Buu though.

Does Buu even have a heart to explode.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how in Kakarot you can resurrect characters like Raditz and Nappa with the dragon balls. Gohan asks Nappa to be his training partner, and tells resurrected Dodoria to be a good guy.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

dodoria just needed a positive role model

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ytlaya posted:

I like how in Kakarot you can resurrect characters like Raditz and Nappa with the dragon balls. Gohan asks Nappa to be his training partner, and tells resurrected Dodoria to be a good guy.

I dislike most of Kakarot's original writing but I do like this a lot. It feels consistent with the series' more idealistic themes, that anyone can become a better person if given the right chances and circumstances to, even if it may take years to do so...

...Except Freeza, who proceeds to pull Resurrection "F" anyways.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

frieza is just a hater and i respect that

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Mr.Acula posted:

P funny Shenron did give him that bonus considering Piccolo killed him that one time.

Shenlong died and was put back together by Kami and then the Dragonballs went inert when the fusion happened, so Dende had to breathe new life into them. Who knows what this Shenlong even remembers.

Also, he's probably more grateful to Kami creating him than he is mad at Piccolo for killing him.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
It's Piccolo's dad who killed Shenron, it's fine.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Ammat The Ankh posted:

It's Piccolo's dad who killed Shenron, it's fine.

Yeah, the whole point of post-Raditz Piccolo is that he started becoming less and less like his dad.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

From what I remember about Super Hero, Dende specifically has to upgrade Shenron to be able to unlock Piccolo's potential. They also consistently ask him to unlock his potential "like Grand Elder Guru", not Old Kai's technique. Considering they remember Gohan's Ultimate form from the Old Kai, my personal headcanon is that Piccolo's first new form is what he'd get if Guru unlocked his potential. His second, Orange Piccolo, is what he'd get if Guru's ritual was refined to the level of Old Kai's, and Shenron just tossed that in for funsies.

It's just hard for me to imagine Shenron somehow pulled that much extra power out of nowhere and tossed it in as a "bonus", though. Him just going above and beyond on the unlocking wish makes the most sense to me.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Blaze Dragon posted:

I dislike most of Kakarot's original writing but I do like this a lot. It feels consistent with the series' more idealistic themes, that anyone can become a better person if given the right chances and circumstances to, even if it may take years to do so...

...Except Freeza, who proceeds to pull Resurrection "F" anyways.

Freeza has become a better person in numerous ways, really. He's still an evil dickhead but he's settled down into taking greater satisfaction from trolling and one-upping Goku than he does from beating/killing him. At this point he's chiller than Zamasu was, at the very least.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

Freeza has become a better person in numerous ways, really. He's still an evil dickhead but he's settled down into taking greater satisfaction from trolling and one-upping Goku than he does from beating/killing him. At this point he's chiller than Zamasu was, at the very least.

He is still invading planets. He just has decided not to gently caress with Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

He is still invading planets. He just has decided not to gently caress with Earth.

The longest journey begins with a single step.