Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
they probably only knew about frieza's first form and concluded that he was an old lady because he always sits in his chair and is small like granny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Don't mess with little old ladies though, they are very dangerous.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1WZkzhQnMo

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

they probably only knew about frieza's first form and concluded that he was an old lady because he always sits in his chair and is small like granny

Hey, if Goku can be played by an old lady...

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
babushka frieza...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/DB_Legends/status/1774679051019690185?t=wDmXWAaO881GT6oUIPUx3w&s=19

Farmer...

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I agree with the thread that generally, the Abridged folks are, as they themselves admit, not the definitive dub, but honestly it's a real tough pick for me between Ayres and LittleKuriboh when it comes to Frieza. LittleKuriboh really knocked that one out of the park.
Also
"Fighting me by yourself? How gutless."
"...How is that gutless?"
"Suicide is the coward's way."
loving owns.

"Oh no, don't mind me. By all means....~give me some ideas~"

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
These balls make me feel something resembling joy, I want to caress them...

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

i will isekai as the farmer with a shotgun and save the world

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I agree with the thread that generally, the Abridged folks are, as they themselves admit, not the definitive dub, but honestly it's a real tough pick for me between Ayres and LittleKuriboh when it comes to Frieza. LittleKuriboh really knocked that one out of the park.
Also
"Fighting me by yourself? How gutless."
"...How is that gutless?"
"Suicide is the coward's way."
loving owns.

On the side of Ayres:
"Oh, ha ha. Your threats are as empty as your title; 'hail Vegeta, prince of no one'."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm doing the Bardock DLC in Kakarot, and it's wild how the story tells you Bardock is a good/honorable guy while he's Literally Super Hitler

You could say the same thing about Vegeta, but IIRC Vegeta is never directly shown doing the whole "exterminating everyone on a planet" stuff in the original manga (and he's also considered a bad guy at the time when he's doing that stuff, so there's never the weird juxtaposition of "him doing genocides" and "him being praised").

Re: Frieza's voice, his original dub voice is actually pretty accurate to the Japanese voice

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That's literally just Bardock for the last decade. Toriyama's been leaning hard into the Goku as Superman origin

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Waffleman_ posted:

That's literally just Bardock for the last decade. Toriyama's been leaning hard into the Goku as Superman origin

Which is funny cuz he used to hate how the anime portrayed him as a Superman-esque hero of justice.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myOz9NEvs-M

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/sloplays/status/1774846677804798014?s=46&t=wHp8T_3AipOs4k6eGwZmlA

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://x.com/GamesCage_/status/1774683672894906459?s=20

put the man in sparking zero

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
does the farmer have a power level of 5 or does the shotgun

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
The shotgun is his power limiter, keeping him at a cool 5 at all times. With the pull of the trigger, the full extent of his agricultural might is unleashed.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Which is funny cuz he used to hate how the anime portrayed him as a Superman-esque hero of justice.
To be fair, having the Superman origin story doesn't necessitate him being a hero of justice.

He's the least evil a Saiyan had ever been (until Gohan), but he was still selfish enough to let Piccolo and Vegeta walk away so he could fight them again.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
goku isnt a bad person and he doesnt like seeing innocent people hurt but if it comes down between the universe and having a cool fight he's going with the cool fight

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

goku isnt a bad person and he doesnt like seeing innocent people hurt but if it comes down between the universe and having a cool fight he's going with the cool fight

Hey, no, Goku would 100% save the universe.

Though, only because he'll probably get even more cool fights!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

To be fair, having the Superman origin story doesn't necessitate him being a hero of justice.

He's the least evil a Saiyan had ever been (until Gohan), but he was still selfish enough to let Piccolo and Vegeta walk away so he could fight them again.

Tbf, IIRC reincarnated Piccolo hadn't actually done any murders (and was kind of obviously very different from his King Piccolo persona)

Edit: doesn't Goku give Cell a senzu before Gohan fights him or something? The Cell/Gohan situation is probably one of the worst "Goku being an rear end in a top hat" situations

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

https://mangadex.org/chapter/61a92644-da99-4b1c-a56e-10dba575c49a/1

A Competition oneshot of Toriyama's from 1977.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Ytlaya posted:

Edit: doesn't Goku give Cell a senzu before Gohan fights him or something? The Cell/Gohan situation is probably one of the worst "Goku being an rear end in a top hat" situations

Yes, yes he does. He wanted Gohan to "have a fair fight".

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
goku thought gohan was like him and just liked fighting only to learn far too late that gohan doesnt enjoy fighting for the sake of fighting

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

goku thought gohan'd think of getting to fight cell as the best surprise party ever and not actively horrifying and traumatic

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Which is pretty amazing considering he spent a year training with Gohan and hadn't noticed that.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Goku is dense, a consistent character trait. Dude does not understand others particularly well if they aren't fight/strength obsessed folks and even then he mostly misses what they actually think.

He forever thinks Vegeta is just as happy ignoring his family as him, thinks freeza is just one spar away from not wanting to conquer the galaxy, and that cell would have been a great bro if only he'd chill. All of these are things that will never happen but he will never see it. He forgot who Chi-Chi was! His innocent charm I guess?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doesn’t Goku basically have brain damage from hitting his head during his time with Grandpa Gohan or as that been retconned (I seem to recall him acting a lot more aggressive prior to that)?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Larryb posted:

Doesn’t Goku basically have brain damage from hitting his head during his time with Grandpa Gohan or as that been retconned (I seem to recall him acting a lot more aggressive prior to that)?

Thats the macguffin that changes his personality from a true saiyan and leaves him with his nice personality. He was just gonna wild out and become an Ape to conquer earth if he hadn't gotten the big bonk.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Remember when he forgot the seal for the mafuba container

hahaha what a cad, that goku

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Larryb posted:

Considering Saiyan biology I doubt it had any permanent effects

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

Considering Saiyan biology I doubt it had any permanent effects

Had to have been good for a zenkai boost after honestly

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Larryb posted:

I'd say its retconned to some extent now with the Dragonball Minus plot that got incorporated into the Broly movie later, but that was always the assumption before that point

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

goku thought gohan was like him and just liked fighting only to learn far too late that gohan doesnt enjoy fighting for the sake of fighting

Of course Gohan's real father Piccolo already knew this lol

edit: to be clear I think it's actually good story-wise that Goku has these obvious character flaws

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don’t think Minus retconned anything about the hitting his head thing.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

It didn't retcon hitting his head, it did retcon Goku originally being sent to conquer the planet and inherent aggression

E: Its still probably the reason for the memory loss and him being more chill, its just not a reason he didn't rampage conquer the world

gay devil fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 2, 2024

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

gay devil posted:

It didn't retcon hitting his head, it did retcon Goku originally being sent to conquer the planet and inherent aggression

E: Its still probably the reason for the memory loss and him being more chill, its just not a reason he didn't rampage conquer the world

Oh, Bardock totally sent him there to conquer the planet. Just not to then contact Frieza to hand it over for sale.

He makes a note of how weak the natives are in explaining his choice. Can't be in danger if you giant ape stomp-blast-kill everybody else.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 21 days!)

i feel like the human population would make great profit for frieza.

like seems like every other planet and race don't have the population earth has. just equip every drafted earthling with that gun that can KO Goku, and send a billion of them to conquer planets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
earthlings are weak and most dont how to manipulate ki frieza would just kill them