Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I finally got around to watching Broly and holy poo poo that was the raddest Dragonball movie. I didn't think it was possible to top Battle of Gods, but Broly was amazing and the animation was gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

VolticSurge posted:

And now I'm imagining Gohan THE GREAT SAIYAMAN hanging out with the Titans.

I have never wanted anything more than I want to see this now.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

what the hell did I just watch

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The Bee posted:

I like "what if Piccolo didn't kill Goku" personally. With no Kaio-Ken or Spirit Bomb, you aren't beating Vegeta. And with Goku alive to train his own son, you don't get Piccolo's face turn. End result, I'm fairly sure, is an immortal Vegeta rushing right over to Namek to wage guerrilla warfare against Frieza while abusing endless zenkai boosts.

I think the worst part of this would be if Vegeta discovered Senzu beans and got immortality, because then he could just facetank Freeza instantly.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Calaveron posted:

I don't see Vegeta not killing Piccolo though

Vegeta and Nappa were specifically trying to not kill Piccolo so they could get info about the Dragonballs from him, but Vegeta minorly freaked out when he caught Goku on the scouter.

Had Goku not been as strong as he was, Vegeta would have no problem letting Piccolo flail around. No one on Earth could touch Vegeta short of Goku with King Kai's training.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Mandrel posted:

plus like, it’s probably fair for Vegeta to assume 9000 isn’t his max, which given the dude couldn’t even take Raditz a year ago is pretty alarming and raises the question of what the guy is actually capable of.

This is actually canon. The fight with Raditz revealed that Earthlings could modulate their fighting power, which was not something Vegeta and Nappa had encountered before. Vegeta even says when they arrive, "don't trust your Scouter, they can hide their power."

So when Goku, who was barely pushing 1,000 fully powered up against Raditz, showed up back from the dead with a rating of 5,000, that had Vegeta at least worried. It's the first time since the Saiyans arrive that we see Vegeta sweating a little bit and he orders Nappa to stop playing around.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

A huge point from classic DBZ was that Goku was explicitly not a Chosen One. Vegeta's entire character arc was based on Goku being this random rube that managed to continue outclassing the Prince.

Episode of Bardock was utter garbage and totally voided that.

DB Minus was also bad, but making Goku into Superman is still better than Episode of Bardock.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, the Broly movie made Minus much better than it was in the Jaco manga.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Horrible Taste posted:

According to an interview with the director of DBS: Broly, among the 70 minutes of scenes that were cut from Toriyama's script was a scene focusing on Raditz and Vegeta's childhood and another scene was a fight between Nappa and Raditz.

I want a Toriyama cut of the movie.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Is there anywhere I can read the older manga chapters? I never got around to starting it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

TwoPair posted:

an entire side game that's just Yamcha's baseball career

Not gonna lie, this would be pretty awesome.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

random gripe

i was re-watching the first goku vs. vegeta fight, and one thing always bugged me. goku completely outclasses vegeta by kai-o-ken X3, to the point that vegeta is unable to land a single hit. yet when they're in the beam struggle, vegeta's gallic gun somehow is equal to goku's kX3 khamehameha??

Goku doesn't completely outclass Vegeta, Kaioken x3 gets him a minor speed advantage, but not necessarily a power advantage. As I recall, the Scouter readings had Vegeta around 22,000 and Goku within 1K or so?

In other words, it took Goku using Kaioken x3 to equal Vegeta's Gallic Gun and using x4 to beat him and shoot him into the stratosphere.

Also, Kaioken x3 wrecked Goku's body, so maybe his base power wasn't as high after the first one.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I think the pissed off point can't be understated. He explicitly said he was making a Gallic Gun to destroy the whole planet.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Technically, that's how all the Ki attacks worked in Dragonball: the user focused their energy into a single point and that meant much more power was available than normal.

Z then took it one step further and put specific numbers to that phenomenon.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm super out of the loop. Why is it a scandal that VAs say raunchy things in the booth? I remember reading that Crispin Freeman and Steve Blum actively compete to see who can get more X-rated VA stuff deleted.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Gripweed posted:

I was curious after finding out about Plan To Eradicate The Saiyans so I looked it up, there is a ton of Dragon Ball Z content that never got released in America! On top of both versions of Plan To Eradicate The Saiyans, there's also Yo Son Goku And His Friends Return and Episode of Bardock. That's four OVAs, over two hours of content! Why have they never seen an English dub or American release?

You do not want a dub of Episode of Bardock. TFS did a way better job with it than Funimation ever could.

It's REALLY REALLY bad.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Gripweed posted:

I want it all. I want all the content. I read That Time I Got Reincarnated as Yamcha, however bad Episode of Bardock is, I can take it.

When Freeza destroyed Vegeta, Bardock got sent back in time to a time when Vegeta was still called Plant, encountered proto-Saiyans (that don't look anything like Saiyans), fought Freeza's ancestor Chilled and became the first Super Saiyan.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Like, as much as people complain about Dragonball Minus (justifiably), it's an order of magnitude better than Episode of Bardock.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zinkraptor posted:

Them being proto-saiyans was a DBZA joke. It takes place on planet Plant/Vegeta, which was conquered by Saiyans and wasn't their native planet. Episode of Bardock is insanely dumb, but it's not that dumb, sadly.

Okay, so they were proto-Tuffles.

That actually makes it worse, because then Bardock defended the race that the Saiyans eventually went to war with because....reasons?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

New Leaf posted:

Randomly came across this on YouTube. Picture Vegeta's dialogue from this chapter in this voice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oISqn135sE

good god I'm not sure I can imagine a less fitting voice for Vegeta

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Black August posted:

There's absolutely going to be an arc where Freiza takes control and turns all the angels and Destroyers against Goku and Vegeta, and Vegeta will have to defeat Beerus in one fight with both going full GoD, and Goku will have to defeat Beerus in another with both using MUI.

I am now going to severely disappointed if this doesn't happen.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Thankfully Broly looks incredible

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Tenshinhan and Goku did have a fair fight, but Ten was from the Crane school (run by Tao Pai Pai's brother) and was training to be an assassin.

He broke Yamcha's leg and was planning to kill Goku for revenge

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Last Celebration posted:

To be fair that was around the point when anyone for real enough could just no-sell a Kamehameha just by holding up a single hand. But yeah it feels silly that the Dodanpa never got used again, but then again the Special Giga Drill Breaker hardly ever got used. Or the Galick Gun. Or the move Gohan uses once that you’d really think would have become his signature technique cause it has “demon” in the name and is also the name of a member of Hawaiian royalty.

Masenko is not the name of Hawaiian royalty, that's Kamehameha.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Remember in Dragonball when Goku bent a Kamehameha to hit Piccolo Sr in the back of the head and later on fired a Kamehameha out of his feet as propulsion so he could punch Piccolo Jr?

The fights in OG were so good.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

MHA gets increasing Deku-centric as things go on. It also has the odd quirk that Bakugo is as popular if not moreso than Deku.

Bakugo is the Vegeta/Sasuke of the series, so I expect his popularity is not an accident.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That animation is gorgeous.

Also, I know nothing about AoT, but Saiyan Saga Vegeta could destroy multiple planets, so I can't imagine a Titan would be much of a problem.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, fair point.

I still don't think it would be a remotely fair fight.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Larryb posted:

Ah right, forgot about that. Did it ever get restored a second time or did it just stay gone after the Saiyan saga?

Pretty sure it's just gone forever after Piccolo destroyed it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Larryb posted:

I am surprised she can still do all the screaming necessary for a Dragon Ball protagonist at her age, the woman must have iron clad lungs or something.

But yeah, I am sort of curious what the plan is when Nozawa finally passes.

In Japan, they generally never recast a voice actor until they pass away.

King Kai is a notable exception; I remember a lot of people complaining about him early in Super.

That said, when a voice actor does pass away, they will recast the role, though I suspect Nozama's death will be the first time a character with the pedigree of Goku will need be recast.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I mean Bulma

Fair enough, I forgot about that.

That said, Aya Hisakawa does a really good imitation, I didn't realize Bulma'd been recast until I looked it up.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Nanigans posted:

Nah, that's not what I meant.

I went ahead and Googled my question, and as I remembered, yes, both the English and Japanese casts re-recorded their lines for Kai:

"With much of the original Japanese cast recording damaged or lost, along with a new sound design, Kai has its dialogue re-recorded. Given two decades had passed since Dragon Ball Z first aired, this led to several prominent recasts, both in the Japanese and English-language dubs."

Yeah, from what I've seen/heard, Norio went super over the top for Cell.

I actually don't like how he sounds in Kai as much.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

TFS doing a Super couples therapy session for Goku and Vegeta was absolute genius.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The OVA Bardock wasn't exactly interesting, but Episode of Bardock and Minus have a very different version of the character that is MUCH worse.

Broly has the second best version, which is shaming with faint praise.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Piccolo and Vegeta were fantastic villains, because they were completely self-confident and then got their composure cracked because Goku would not stay down and they got increasingly desperate.

The non-DBZA Cell was far less entertaining, because he really was just a redux of Freeza with more durability.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Is that where the Freeza training montage panels came from?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

How tall are these guys?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Neo_Crimson posted:

Specifically Chris Sabat, who pretty high up in Funi, likes them, but that doesn't translate across the industry.

Chris Sabat and Kyle Hebert have both cameoed in DBZA movies.

Sean Schemmel is on record as not hating them, but siding with Toei that they probably shouldn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

To be fair, he doesn't seem to care much about Goku either.