Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Much better OP than the last one! It's missing this though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Appearntly his voice is a placeholder and they have someone else in mind when the dub actually gets there.

Thank god. I posted an entire rant in the game thread about Zamasu's English voice. It loving sucks and wouldn't be salvaged even by better direction.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

And somehow, there's a number of fans that didn't understand that that's a bad thing and want it to happen again, but permanently.

A lot of people seem to really hate the idea of Vegeta actually growing as a person.

Vegedad is amazing and anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong.

Seriously though, Vegeta's character development throughout Z and into Super has been surprisingly deep for a show like this and it pushed him into my favorite slot. Krillin used to be my favorite until he fell from grace and became somehow less muscular AND less ballsy than kid Gohan

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

When I was a 10 year old girl watching the original Funi dub, I first started paying attention during the Namek saga and the only females were turbobitch Bulma and turbonag Chichi. (I know Bulma was much more than that before in Dragonball and afterwards in future sagas, but on Namek that sums up her role). All I wanted as a little girl was to see a female kick some rear end on this punchman show, too.

Seeing Kale kick rear end made my inner child squeal in joy and I really hope lots of little girls around the world got to feel the way I wanted to decades ago.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Jedah posted:

Well just wait, Pan will kick rear end kinds of rear end. She'll probably reach SSJ2 by age 7 or something. She won the genetic lottery by being Gohan's daughter, plus Videl was quite powerful for a human. And with Mr. Satan as her cool grandpa manager, nothing will stop her.

Plus, she was part of Goku's SSJ God ritual, which has gotta count for something. They could use it as an excuse to give her Blue the time she's a teenager. Basically, she should be even stronger than Caulifla.

That's if the series goes past EoZ. Which I seriously hope it does (isn't there a gap between EoZ and GT's beginning that they can squeeze more midquel adventures out of?)

The only other Pan we have is GT Pan :barf:

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Kelp Plankton posted:

Kuriza isn't born until after the tournament of power, when Frieza is resurrected and settles down with his new boyfriend Frost

Speaking of Frost, he's been such a huge disappointment. We finally get another (canon) member of Frieza's race and he turns out to be less powerful, less visually interesting (no transformations), and has Frieza's same cartoon villain aspirations but goes about it in a more limpdick way before turning into Hit's bitch. They couldn't even make him Bizarro Good Frieza, an incredibly tired chicle which is somehow still more interesting than what we've got. Someone on another forum described him as Diet Frieza, and that's really the perfect way to describe him. I hope that he and Frieza's supposed plan redeems him somehow, either by changing his personality or by Frieza offing him.

Between Hit being Purple Pikkon and Frost being Diet Frieza, I have no idea how people can call Kale U6's weakest character.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Please don't post spoilers from the Muppets Arc.

Though, it was weird that Gohan makes a point he has no idea what Cell looks like only to imagine Perfect Cell killing Piccolo and Chi-Chi.

Rutibex posted:

I thought he imagined Freeza instead, because he had no idea what Cell looked like.

Pretty sure the Cell in the time chamber sequence was filler. I'm actually watching the Cell arc of Kai right now because I never saw the Cell Games in the original Toonami run and that scene wasn't in it.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

The second half of this episode was great but I really wasn't feeling the first half. I understood the Magical Girl transformation/animation reuse gags but when this show has been plagued with unironic reuse issues that are almost as blatant, the joke feels flatter. The rest was great though, Vegeta's face when Ribrianne rolled towards him and the furry/bird lady Sailor Moon lesbian joke had me dying.

Also holy poo poo someone behind the scenes clearly loves 17, because he has been amazing in Super. 18 has been badass too, she could have so easily slipped into mom mode and ended up with no other identity for the rest of the series.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

TheHan posted:

Somebody please draw Tao Pai Pai riding torso Freeza.

K

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Man, the erasure sequence this time was even more unsettling than universe 9. :stare: RIP Gowasu, may your GodTube continue to get likes.

This was a great episode. The character development of Gohan was on full display but subtle at the same time. The locket scene and Gohan's reaction showed that he still cared about his opponent's fate, but had the balls to press on and continue fighting to protect his own family. I appreciate how Super has many moments like these that are subtle and don't try to hit you over the head with symbolism.

I just hope we get to see Big Green do some stuff independently before he inevitably jobs. Guessing he'll get a Namek episode with the Nail and Lord Slug expies from U6.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

I like Dyspo :3: he seems like a nice Beerus bunny thing and was a nice change from Hit being stoic cool guy #378. Hit's badass and all but his personality is so loving boring and has already been done by better, greener, Namekier characters.

This episode was awesome. Great animation during most of the fight sequences and Goku using SSG again was a nice touch. Also even with all of the other coolness going on Champa stole the goddamn show.

havenwaters posted:

Oh my god, is Vegeta the narrator?

I'm watching the dub episode.

Haven't seen the newest dub ep but hearing Sabat and co. have a blast is why I'be been sitting through Super's earlier/shittier arcs again in dub form. The voice acting has been fantastic

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Skinty McEdger posted:

The Super Dub is so amazingly good that I don't think I can really rewatch the old Japanese episodes now.

The dub has been incredible. Not only are they well done from a technical standpoint, the dialogue has also been great. Episodes which I felt extremely meh about in Japanese, like parts of RoF, have been given such a good treatment with the dub that it almost makes up for the content.

The last episode this week is a great example. It is one of the few DBS episodes I would qualify as total, 100% filler. It may be the worst episode in the entire show, at least IMO. But the the Funimation VAs did as much as they could to salvage it and it honest to god worked. Krillin's terrible imitations and Goku and the narrator getting into a 4th wall bantering session, along with Vegeta throwing around words like "babe" and "honey" have been hysterical.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Granny Goku works. Like many original English Funi dub kids when I first listened to it it bothered me, but weirdly enough it was watching DBZA (which I started watching a little bit before the Super subs) that made me appreciate the Japanese VA more. Just because it gave me an idea of how goofy high-pitched Goku would work if it were in English. It totally does. That being said, Schemmel clearly took some cues from either Nozawa's voice acting or Goku's "true" non Supermanned English dub personality and now he does a great job of nailing goofy Goku too. I think it doesn't really matter what gender Goku's VA is as long as he sounds high pitched and goofy as gently caress outside of fight scenes.

Nozawa then got even better with her Goku Black performance. She sounded legit intimidating and convincingly male (by Goku standards anyway). Compare that to Schemmel's Black performance in Xenoverse 2 where he sounds like original English Goku smoked 10 packs and gargled glass before stepping up to the mic. He sounds like Christian Bale Batman. It's not his fault that the game's voice acting direction was absolutely awful and I hope that English Black sounds loving nothing like that in the dub, because his other performances in the show are so much better.

English Goku Black for those who didn't play the games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYOeOWd0TQE

Japanese Gohan bothers me though, just because the performances are really similar. During the Goku and Gohan fight scenes when they were sparring together it was just a full 20+ minutes of DADADADADADADADA and I honestly couldn't tell who the DADADAs were coming from.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Did you guys not read the whole post :confused:

Yeah seriously, I specifically said that XV's voice direction is total poo poo so it was most likely not his fault.

Covok posted:

Well, they say like it some strange alien word and not just a name anyone can have. They just pronounce it so purposely weird.

Honestly I never mentally pronounced it as "Monica" and thought it was more like the way they said it in the dub before the dub got to that part. I also thought it was pronounced ZaMAsu and not "Zamas-u". Like how you say MetrAHpolis and not Metrohpolis, if my terrible way of typing it out makes sense.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Everyone's lines pretty much sound more silly, yeah, but this is Super. Super really feels like OG Dragonball and DBZ had a schizophrenic baby. And that's perfectly okay and works for the series. It's not like Super doesn't know when or how to get serious (the entire Goku Black/future Trunks arc got dark) so when it's being dumb during lighthearted moments that's fine.

Like 80% of the franchise is just characters endlessly squatting and screaming like they're about to take the most massive poo poo of their lives. The entire concept is goofy.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Regarding Vegeta's babe/honey thing I actually think it works (along with he and Bulma's entire Super relationship) because it's clear that the writers are trying to make it look like these two are actually IN a relationship. In Z the two hooking up was so contrived and clearly an asspull to have Trunks come into existence without being Goku's relative. Even in the Buu saga it was hard to believe Vegeta gave a flying gently caress about his family right up to ,and beyond, the point of him killing himself for their sake. Super's writers took the character growth he was already exhibiting and fleshed it out to make him feel more human and less like a bag of villain tropes. He and Bulma actually sound like a couple who have been married for years now, and it's pretty much the only pairing in the show that is believable. Those words will never feel natural coming out of Vegeta's mouth (and him doing the ^_^ face in RoF or genuinely smiling looks OOC/downright creepy) but it's all part of him having more depth than MY SAIYAN PRIDE!

Frieza has gone a little nuts with the metaphors, I noticed that immediately too, but watched Kai for the first time alongside Super around the time the RoF dub started and he always seemed to talk that way in English. I think most of the main cast in Super (barring a few like Vegeta and Future Trunks?) suffered a little Flanderization, but not too heavily to be enjoyable.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

For anyone who hates the dub that much the subs are that way >>>

There are a number of small differences in Funi's script, but it's not a total rewrite that misses the point like the 90s dub did. If that's still not okay and you want direct translations with zero embellishment that's totally fine. However, that's also why subs exist in the first place.

On the topic of music Falcouner is not high art but I love it anyway due to cheese and nostalgia. The original score is leagues better and I don't miss the Falcouner tracks in Kai, but I use the gently caress out of a XV2 mod that replaces the game's abortion of a soundtrack with Falcouner pieces.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Aurora posted:

The subs are right here

The subs are here, in my heart.

DADADADADA

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

I don't know what it is with like, weebs in particular, where you want a direct one-to-one translation of every word from original Glorious Nihongo. So much of this poo poo is like puns and idioms, or things that make you sound like a robot if you break them out into a sentence fragment. Like, where does it end? Do we just start having the English VA's say "Nii-san" and "Aniki" because both of those translate to "Big Brother"? Do we do that completely heinous strat where the English dialog appends Japanese honorifics to names? No, you change it to a line that carries the appropriate connotation in English.

The best example I can think of in DBS is when they are summoning Super Shenron.

Sub: come forth super Shenron, samurai hair!

Dub (what they'll probably do similar to how the sub handled it) come forth Super Shenron, easy peazy!

Literal translation wet dream: come forth Super Shenron, samurai hair! (Gigantic paragraph appears explaining the "please" pun in Japanese and what the samurai hair word directly translated meant in context)

Using this as an example, they HAVE to rewrite this line because it makes no sense in English. Translations are full of little things like that and while sub fans are willing to pause and read what contextual stuff like this means, or even look it up themselves, a lot of native dub watchers would be like "nah gently caress that". I'm a sub purist for other anime. I get that feeling. But again, subs and dubs are really for two different types of audiences.

Mr. Creakle fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 25, 2017

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

To be fair to people not a fan of the above quotes many of them were from the 90s Funimation dub, which was terrible and rewritten to the point of butchery such as Goku's heroic "nightmare to you" speech. By contrast both Kai and Super are being translated with MUCH more care to what the original Japanese was saying, because back in the 90s the industry didn't give a poo poo.

Still no matter what you think of Funimation's dubs the Dragonball franchise has suffered from much worse, such as in the Speedy dub when King Kai had something to say about black human beings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyT68tXkctI

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Big Green dub rules, Speedy dub rules, Mr. Popo being called Poo Poo while the music changes 5 keys in 5 seconds rules https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0AzeAIb7ws

Dias posted:

I'm glad we all eventually realized Goku is not Superman and is more, I'unno, Booster Gold.

I haven't watched most of pre-Kai DBZ in like 20 years, but from what I understand Toriyama himself was not happy with the way Goku was portrayed even in the original Japanese version of Z. He was too heroic and not enough of the spirit of pure fighting obsessed manchild. In contrast Super's Goku is clearly Toei trying to capture the original intention of Goku's character - that he is simply MUST FIGHT TO GET STRONGER, pure and a good person but not necessarily a hero. How much of that is them following Toriyama's outline and them doing it on their own I'm not sure, but it's still much more interesting.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

We are. Zamasu's voice actor in Xenoverse was outright said to be placeholder. They stated for the dub they currently have someone perfect in mind.

Thank god. Xenoverse Zamasu was loving terrible, every single read sounded bored and mumbly.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

I like Hit's Xenoverse VA because of how happy he was to make the donuts.

I like Hit's Xenoverse VA because when you combo him he goes NOOOUUUU

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

If Android Frieza powered up 100% would his cybernetics break apart or would he just look really really goofy

If Carved-Into-A-Million-Pieces Frieza powered up 100% would his chunks get beefier

Could Chunky Frieza defeat Yamcha

Now I kind of want to draw a hurricane of Frieza chunks raining down on Yamcha's corpse

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

This episode was great - I seriously thought they were going to kill Roshi off there. Could have done without the gross rapey part though. The fights were overall a lot more fun and interesting with Roshi than the beamspam that pretty much everyone else has been doing. It felt like OG Dragonball in a good way.

Now I can't wait for the next episode with animation previews like these!

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

After thinking about it I realized just how much this is the definitive Power Levels are Bullshit episode. Master Roshi stopped being relevant before Dragonball even turned into Z. Sure he beat up a few goons in Resurrection F, but so did everyone on the B-team. They did make an effort to show him training here and there throughout the series, and he even had a line about taking out foes with tactics because he doesn't have Goku's saiyan retard strength, but that is still an absolutely massive jump to be able to play with the big boys.

And you know what? It doesn't matter and this episode loving ruled anyway. Roshi kicked all kinds of rear end and pulled out his crazy Dragonball tactics. He hit the climax (heh) of his Super era character development...then reverted it all for the sake of a gag, just as predicted. Despite that he still managed to come across as serious and badass. Also his death was one of the saddest moments in Super, and you could really tell how hard Krillin and Goku were affected by the sight.

Super consistently surprises me with how well it's written for a dumb punchman shonen. Bringing Roshi back and treating his character like this was clearly a great move and this is probably the best ToP episode since Frieza's recruitment episode.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Vegeta's voice... oh my god. Christ. It still sounds like a bad Brian Drummond impersonation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDJHs-Q6SwA

Piccolo isn't bad though.

EDIT I saw you said still so you probably already know, oh well I'll leave this in anyway

Fun fact it actually did basically start as a Brian Drummond impression. If I remember right Sabat was supposed to mimic the Ocean dub. Over time he made it more of his own voice, and it's clear because it sounds much more natural than his early Vegeta in the 90s.

Pretty sure Piccolo won't be looking for a wife because Namekian reproduction involves becoming huge and puking out lots of eggs like some hideous humanoid termite queen. That "At last I understand?" shocked Piccolo is prime avatar material though.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Burkion posted:

I kept waiting for Frost to show up and kick Roshi off.

loving Christ Krillin, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Meanwhile, Tien is finally going to come back from his poker game with 18, Frost and the other No Screen Time Players

I'm still really bummed about Krillin's poor showing, he was my favorite character as a kid. Poor guy has been one of the most disappointing characters since early DBZ - first on Namek his biggest role in the story is functioning as Goku's damsel in distress. Then he lets his boner get in the way of stopping the Androids. Then he basically gets written out of the story entirely in the Buu saga by Dabura spitting on him. Then in Super he gets legit hurt by a bullet, when he used to tank Launch's bullets as a child. Then finally, when it appears that he'll have a chance to shine without Saiyans getting in the way, he has a couple of mediocre fights before getting ganked by a Frieza clone.

Say what you will about Tien or Piccolo not getting many moments to shine in Z but at least they got to keep their dignity. I see why DBZA chose him to have an 'owned' counter.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

The Bee posted:

Yeah, I looked up that scene and yikes. Please save us, dub writers.

Yeah I don't know what it is about DBS Roshi but his perv side feels less...innocent? Playful? Whatever and much more sinister and rapey. Even in Dragonball it wasn't as bad, and that show had Bulma flashing him while underage and Roshi sneaking into the bathroom while Bulma was on the toilet. I think it's because in Dragonball and Z, he always got his comeuppance. In Super, there's either no karmic payback or not enough.

Like how much better would that disturbing Puar and Roshi "training" scene be if a shapeshifted Puar kicked his rear end? Or turned into a big ugly Bactrian looking dude the second Roshi made contact?

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Hahaha Jesus. That's just blatant.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

I honestly prefer TFS's Vegeta too because even though it's the same ridiculous gargling-glass raspy voice, it sounds better during casual conversation. Sabat' casual Vegeta in Kai sounds like Piccolo with a cold, though it got better in Super.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Zedd posted:

I liked his work in the Buu saga quite a bit, but i'll actually agree that the FTS and sub version work better.
He is by no means bad at it though, he's a good VA imo; just not my favourite take.

He's an awesome VA. I wonder if Vegeta is too high/raspy to do comfortably because he naturally has a really deep voice, like Piccolo's range (which would make sense because his Piccolo is perfect). The TFS guy's voice is not as deep so he can probably do the Vegeta thing more comfortably.

Much respect to all Vegeta actors, though. Try talking in a high pitched (for your range) raspy voice for an extended amount of time. Try screaming in it. Imagine having to do that for hours, through multiple takes. I think 80s metal bands still touring have less stress on their vocal cords than that.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Firstborn posted:

Just realized Roshi got a new VA because the original one passed away. Tien, too.
:smith:

E: Also when they showed Krillin and Goku behind Roshi during his speech... they didn't show Yamcha. I know he isn't there, but he was a student. Hahaha Yamcha.

Wanna add to that sad?

Frieza's voice actor Chris Ayres has end stage emphysema and COPD :( he's probably not gonna ever be able to return to work as a VA, but honestly I hope the poor guy makes it in general.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

I'm pretty sure the U6 Saiyan squad are supposed to be teens/preteens. Their design makes perfect sense and is well done for that age range - a bit lanky and awkward with still semi-childlike proportions.

Compare that to the U7 Saiyans where every single one not named Gohan just randomly explodes from young child to fully-grown somewhere in their teens. The real out-of-universe explanation is they were never given proper teen designs but in universe, Saiyan puberty must be terrifying to go through.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Wow :( That sucks, RIP. I wonder if Toei sent them a serious C&D or something because shortly before this they had their final "Two Saiyans" LP too (a LP where they played "in character" as dbz characters with their voices). They seem to be moving away from Dragonball content in general.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

They are also expanding rapidly into other things which probably has eaten up a lot of time

They have a bunch of crap going on but DBZA is their bread and butter and the thing most people know/care about. I have a feeling the reason isn't "personal" but who knows? If they end up wrapping the whole thing up I hope they at least finish the Cell saga first.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

If Trunks getting hit on by his mom in DBZA didn't make you laugh then I don't know what to say :shrug:

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

DBZA Frieza is great, Littlekuriboh really nails the psycho aspect of the character well. I tried to watch the (unreleated to DBZA) Frieza LP Youtube and that other guy does an incredible Frieza voice but the meme spouting and catchphrases and uuuuUUUUUGH

Momomo posted:

Trunks left knowing he failed to save his world and would essentially be an outsider to someone else's. Seeing Gohan made him feel a little better, but it definitely wasn't as simple as "There's a timeline that's just like his, everything is fine".

I still have no idea why they thought Trunks' universe getting destroyed as a good ending. Is there a person alive that actually enjoyed the way that arc ended?

I did because it was kind of dark and not a Disney happy ending. Future Trunks exists to be relentlessly poo poo on. So it is, and so it shall be.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

They are really hammering home Goku's amoral aspect in Super, which is ok and more interesting than Japanese Superman. Dude is kind of a dick even if he's a good person at heart and cares for his friends.

I still find the entire ToP leadup uncomfortable because Goku has been too busy jacking off his fightboner to care about the sake of the other universes. One could argue that the ToP's entire mood so far has been disturbingly light, what with countless lives already being Oblivioned out of even having an afterlife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

No one is mentioning the real best part of the episode: the hilarious high-pitched OOOOOOO~ Frieza let out when he first stepped in between Gohan and the Yardrat.

I hope the new American Frieza guy can replicate that somehow even if he has to punch himself in the balls during voice takes