Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kale is extremely gay for Caulifla though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Also Jesus Christ Jiren have you heard of teamwork? Way to let half your team get murked dude what the gently caress

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Burkion posted:

Japan is falling a bit more in step, sort of, with America as far as kids media goes.

You can see this clearly with DB Super and its violence. Dragon Ball Z could be quite gory and brutal, owing to it being mostly an 80s series. Even Dragon Ball wasn't super adverse to it despite being sillier. Dude got shot in the head.

Super has tamed the violence way down. Almost no one bleeds anymore, even for a gag- the most we got was an ultra cartoonish blood bubble from Roshi that quickly went away. People getting cut in half is now more safe and doesn't have the same kind of impact and detail that it used to.

And sexual humor is MOSTLY kept to just talking about it and implying stuff. You won't see any bare asses or Bulma's tits in Super like you did in Dragon Ball.

idk Zamasu getting bisected from groin to face was pretty brutal, as well Frieza's killing spree against the Universe 9 goons recently. I'd say the only real difference in violence between Z and Super is the level of blood

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Burkion posted:

The difference in what happened there, and what happened in Z, is pretty stark though and what I meant by undetailed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJjsAtXh2RE

Zammy is all light instead of blood and ZERO detail on where he got cut, just glowing white. It's super clean and safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPYuLCKOquE&t=145s

That is not the case with this one. It's not detailed in excess like the manga, but it's very bloody.

I mean yeah I agree Super definitely had less gore, but I think you're overstating the difference a little, no Dragon Ball villain who's been cut open has ever had a working anatomy and Zamasu and Fireza are no different in that regard.

Also i think you're underselling the violence of Zamasu's death, the dude is screaming in agony and terror as his face is sliced open whilst fully conscious. Even if he doesn't bleed it's still a pretty drat visceral scene. Same goes for the dudes who get their heads blown up by Frieza during his rampage, I'd say if anything despite the lack of gore Super's gotten more creative in its portrayals of violence, it's just learned to skirt around the censors whilst doing it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

lezard_valeth posted:

My only objection to last night's episode is that I really liked Su Roas' base design and wish she would have fought like that for a bit before transforming

...I'm not watching the show the right way

It was pretty funny how the Kamikaze Fireballs had their glamorous high fashion costumes for all of five seconds before turning into complete weirdos.

Great episode all round imo they probably landed the Ginyu Force pastiche better here than they did with the Pride Troopers,hoping at least Ribrianne will make it to the semifinals with Hit, Jiren, Frieza etc, her fighting seems pretty legit and it'd make a nice change from all the brooding ultimate power guys.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

sassassin posted:

I really wanted Frieza to die by the end of Namek and not because he was a bad person.

Hey, it's Sassassin again. Resurrected from the dead like his pal Frieza!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

sassassin posted:

I didn't die I just stopped watching the show when Buu got fat again.

The new arc is really fun, you should catch up if you haven't already.

Also revived Frieza done properly is clearly a better choice than BUUUUUUUUUUU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

SSB is Fire Flower, SSG is Invincibility Star

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

tbh Universe 10 really missed a trick by not bringing back Fused Zamasu like Universe 7 brought back Frieza

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If Goku actually got knocked out for real because he was phoning it in in base form I would laugh forever.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

Please help, this horrible topic just made me seriously consider a Ginyu Force logo on my upper arm.

You've already got 'insane hellgirlfriend' down as your terrible life choice, you can't double dip

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I like the new form is basically a revision of Goku's classic maxed-out Kaio-Ken look from his battles with Vegeta and Frieza which imo is his best look after the classic Super Saiyan debut with the angular dark-gold hair. I'm curious if he's been sitting on it the whole time though or it's a breakthrough at a desperate moment, if it turns out he could have done it the whole time I'm expecting him still to job pretty hard by the end.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Zen-Oh can't count the number of universes he has under his dominion

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I honestly thought Roshi was just saying he was gonna kick her rear end with his newfound nofap powers, very disappointed to see Kawii concede to preserve her maidenhood

I want more The Golden One Roshi and less Roosh Roshi basically

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Pride Troopers have come off as really lovely this tournament. Hit is playing support to keep as many U6 fighters in the game as possible and U7 are constantly bailing each other out. Meanwhile the big three of the Pride Troopers have sent the majority of their team off to be wasted whilst their appalling powerful star player does bugger all. Even if Jiren plans to solo every other high-rise fighter by himself it comes off as really trashy and cowardly. Boo Pride Troopers!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Glagha posted:

Yeah but wasn't that supposed to be like "average power level" for their universe? So isn't it more that Goku and co. are extreme outliers for U7 standards?

Universe 7 was forged in the heat of war. Goku and friends had to become so strong to survive the constant terrors allowed to exist in their cruddily managed universe.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Monaghan posted:

I'm completly fine with 17 being an assist because it allows for a more varied gameplay style for 18. Now by having seventeen be an assist, it allows for cool poo poo like 17 being used as an anti-assist tool. DB fighter z is sort of unique in that character balance and each character playing differently really matters.

I know I've seen some DBZ fans complain that they want such and such character and if there's less than 40 characters the games gonna suck, but there's a lot more considerations that go into a legit fighter than something like budokai 3 where they threw everyone in there.

Yah I'm really onboard with DBFZ being a legit fighter rather than a fan service delivery mechanism and if that means only one of the symetrical android twins is present that's fine with me. of course they could also make 17/18 alternate costumes like Tekken and Smash Bros dos but either way I think it's the right call not to have both as individual characters.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

They should have RECOOME to rep the Ginyu Force too

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's been pretty cool the b-team have been getting their moments in the sun this arc and, imo, this last episode has been the only dud. I am however, ready for the main event to start and it would be nice to see the star players for each team actually fighting for real.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

sassassin posted:

The Android Saga is a masterclass in narrative escalation but it does cause problems down the line.

The problems started right at the beginning of Z when Raditz (and by extensions the saibamen) trivially surpassed the reincarnation of the Great Demon King and the spiritually awakened Goku, who were then also trivially surpassed in turn by a chain of like five different tiers of villains before it loops back round to some robots made in the lab of some guys Goku fought when he was 10. Looping back round from Frieza to some Red Ribbon androids who are literally about five million times stronger than the ones Goku previously fought is just the most glaring example.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Cell thing did not work cause up until Gohan tried they never destroyed his core. (Cell himself admitted he got lucky surviving his self destruct as his Core barely survived.)

Goku was just wrong about beating Buu as he underestimated his durability. And as we mentioned it had less to do with power level and more to do with Cell and Buu having regeneration. If they did not have that they would have died at multiple points. Overcoming the regeneration was more important then overcoming them in power.

I reminded of the time when Gotents and Piccolo blew Buu into tiny bits. Then to prevent his regeneration they started blasting the pieces, but he regenerated from the vapors.

They overcame regeneration in each case with completely overwhelming high power attacks though, not clever trickery

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

My point is in both cases the Z Fighters didn't learn anything or get clever: Gohan destroying Cell with a kamehameha and Goku + Earth destroying Buu with the Spirit Bomb are still both brute force methods based on completely overwhelming power and particularly in Cell's case the solution is literally just for Gohan to become so strong he doesn't have to care about Cell's regeneration.

The Spirit Bomb is a more elegant way of delivering the climatic energy blast but it's still fundamentally about hitting Buu so hard he can't recover at all, the only difference between that and Gotenks and Piccolo attempting to double tap him in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber is magnitude.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

RBX posted:

Say something about it if you disagree or keep posting like the YouTube comments section

'(X female character) is a Mary Sue!' is about as youtube comments section as you can get

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Super's only original supervillain to date is Zamasu, who was a pretty fun and flamboyant character. Hit and Jiren are just tournament rivals closer to Jackie Chun and Tien (lol) back when they were credible opponents, they've not meant to be scenery chewing maniacs.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TenCentFang posted:

At least Team Four Star is an unfailing light in the dark. Man, they understandably take awhile, but every episode is so worth it.

TFS Goku is also a weird, emotionally detached idiot though

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

They should kill Goku and bring him back only when they need him to deal with a world ending threat, like Godzilla

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Whatever do you m-

It's a strange way to introduce Goku's new form but, hell, I like it

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

I am here for Frieza getting a redemption arc teased by helping Gohan instead of doing what everybody, including Whis, thought he was going to do.

I don't think betraying your ally and calling him a worthless bitch qualifies as a redemption arc. If anything they're hinting he's going to try and usurp Beerus as the Universe 7 GoD, which I'm sure he'd enjoy.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Guldo would could clean up against the big leaguers in this tourney, Hit's 0.5 seconds has nothing on 'long enough to just pick you up and drop you off the stage'

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

Guldo lifting anyone is a funny joke.

Frieza with four months training: gains power to rival a GoD, but still falls short compared to Jiren

Guldo with four months training: can now hold his breath for 30 seconds and carry his own body weight, defeats every opponent with a series of DIO-esque time pranks

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't actually mind U7 doing so well as the read that they were forced to become powerful to defend themselves in place of their absentee gods holds up pretty well (and in Fireza's case being one of the terrors the gods should have destroyed).

Some of the smaller things bug me though, like Goku apparently 'struggling' against Ribrianne in, uh, base form. They really could have portrayed the serious contenders from other universes who aren't Jiren a little better.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Calibanibal posted:

tired of this power creep. Why are Nappa and Vegetable so much stronger than Radish when they're all the same species?

Very clever, noticing most of the characters' names are puns

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Augus posted:

Not really?

Force? No. Trick? Kinda?

Goku literally had no idea what the concept of marriage even was and thought he was going for a meal or something, he only married her because he's good to his word and said he would. She basically did take advantage of a very simple man who doesn't even seem to possess the capacity for romantic love and who's defining childhood experience was traumatic brain injury.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Zoro posted:

"Dragonball"

"Serious Setting"

....um,

Dragon Ball is sometimes comedy and sometimes serious. The arc Goku is first married in ends with his arch enemy killing him with a laser through the heart and everyone crying about it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Webbeh posted:

why are we not talking about the extended preview for next week's episode?

https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/commen...it&utm_name=dbz

splooge

Oh my god he does the 'I'm gonna loving kill you' looks he gives to Frieza when he goes SSJ!!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

DBZ exponential power level growth is dead, rejoice!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I really want to know if the one hour special is actually an hour long, or forty-five minutes.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Frieza's deliberately hanging back to let everyone else burn themselves out and soften up Jiren, he's definitely going to make a big play at the end of the arc to get that MVP placement and get the Super Dragonball wish

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's a very cool way to do a new transformation and much more interesting way of conveying power than just no-selling the opponent

Pretty hosed up though that even in his extremely hype new form which had like a one minute use time Goku still barely held the advantage against Jiren

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

In the year 2017 Jiren is going to say 'This isn't even my final form'