Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Natural 20 posted:

Things I would have enjoyed seeing:

Cell instead of Frieza.

Good god, why? :gonk:

Cell is the most boring dragon ball villain by a WIDE margin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

I'm cool with 17 and 18 ending up as the legacy cast from that saga, they're much better in every way. Extended universe stuff layering a new personality onto cell where there was none is not admissible evidence :colbert:

Having Frieza around as an absolutely untrustworthy ally is a fun final spin on the "enemies into friends" trope. Worth it for the group shot from the intro alone, where he's got his hands on his hips like some kind of street tough. The lineup wouldn't feel like the proper tribute to the history of the series that it is without him, but I really wish there would have been room for Buu.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Alt-universe where Goku just learns to transform increasingly stronger enemies into carrots.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Yeah, god, what will the story do if the new powerup gets outdated, that's unprecedented in dragonball :rolleyes:

Dragonball is like family. You take the good with the bad, because that's just the way it goes. Was this the perfect chapter/storyline? No. Was it total dogshit? No! Some stupid stuff happened, some cool punches happened, magic powers and tricks pulled their weight alongside PURE FIGHT MIGHT, the stakes were raised incrementally, some side characters got cool moments, Vegeta learned some new tricks, Goku mastered his new form and in time it will be outclassed by the new hot thing. My god, if you're this upset about the comic just go do something else.

There was fun stuff and there was some of the yadda-yadda that filled in the blanks in between, the same as it has been for 35 YEARS. That's Dragonball baby! Just have some fun with it, jeez. :shrug:

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Piccolo stays relevant by being the techniques and strategy guy. See DBS Broly shoehorning him in by having him fill the old "fusion dance trainer" role, complete with classic fat and skinny version Gogeta gags. They want him around, but they need to give him a reason to be there.

If he has any role to play in, or connection to, expanded Namekian/Dragon balls lore, including the super dragon balls, the dragon god, god ki, dragon ki the divine realm, the demon realm, destruction moves, universe 6, or advanced babysitting techniques, that allow him to stay relevant as a mentor, tactician, trainer, or other support role, I will be happy!

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Yeah this storyline owns so far. I like that it uses the Moro arc in certain small ways to kick off the action and build on the plot. Feels like Radditz's arrival kicking off events through the end of the Namek saga. And there's stuff for characters who aren't the 2-3 strongest to do!

Goku and Vegeta aren't going to want to work together given their newly reignited passion for becoming the strongest in the universe, pursuing different paths. So it won't be as easy as them just beating Granolah down.

Especially if they find out he's ultimately out to destroy Freeza!

I wonder if Granolah's inevitable face-turn (if you can call it that since he's basically in the right, if powerfully stupid - and that's a cooler arc enemy than another mustache-twirling pure evil being!) at the end of this arc will be him helping to take down the Heeters and sacrifice himself? Or might he stick around for another arc ending in a final confrontation with Freeza?

I don't know what's going to happen, and there's enough set up that it could be really interesting, and it's been really cool so far and I can't wait to see what happens next! I just fukkin love me some dragonball :kiddo: and this is hitting all the right notes and making me geek out like a kid again.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

By any objective real-world measure, Piccolo abused Gohan by beating and starving him as a training method and he gets the rep as Forever Best Dad. Hell, Master Roshi forcing Goku and Krillin to plow fields by hand and get stung by bees while delivering milk would definitely get him arrested.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

New chapter is up: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/dragon-ball-super-chapter-71/chapter/22243?action=read

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

You know what would be funny to wrap up Super, is if when Freeza inevitably tries to use the super dragon balls to become Emperor of the Universe, Pilaf finally reverses Oolong’s wish steal technique and snipes it for himself.

Brings everything full circle. They could call him True Emperor Pilaf and give him the Garlic Jr. style same-head-on-fightman body.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

I thought Granolah's bow and arrow/sniper ki blast was pretty cool!

Also, The no-eyebrows look kinda dumb, but my immediate thought was that the Destruction form requires you to "destroy" part of yourself and that's what Vegeta went with, which I don't think is the intent but is a funny concept to me. I'm sure they'll workshop it to look cooler for the Mastered form or when he stacks it with Super Saiyan or what-have-you.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Is Puar the first one to "beat" Goku by cutting off his tail? And then Jackie Chun is first in a proper fight.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Oh god no... Not more retroactive Bardock adventures :cripes:

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

I look forward to the revelations that Bardock invented fusion (via both dance and the potara earrings) and capsule technology, and also performed some sort of favor in the distant past for the dragon god by collecting some sort of orange orbs and saving the universe, and the dragon god said he would be honored with a tribute that would last for all eternity...

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Bardock beat Gas Jackie Chun-style, by having longer limbs. That's why Gas used his wish to be taller. In the end, Freeza will show up and finish him off for stealing his wish.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Dweebs who don't think Yamcha could destroy a planet refer to Son Goku and Friends as "The Z Fighters" and/or "Earth's Special Forces"

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Dragonball will always have this weird pseudo-continuity grafted onto it in America because of how it was presented and marketed when it blew up to a mainstream audience. It’s mostly the name changes, but it’s also the image of Goku as a superhero backed by his Z Squad Team Force, and the way the more serious aspects of the “Z” era were played up and accentuated with the ‘edgy’ styling. ‘Head cha la’ vs. ‘Rock the Dragon’ kinda says it all.

A lot of 90s-2000s kids thought of it as closer thematically to something like Mortal Kombat, and I think that’s where a lot of the obsession with power levels comes in, as well as confusion over Super’s tone or, blasphemously, complaining about Nozawa’s Goku. Of course this isn’t ALL just Western fandom - original Broly was 100% the embodiment of this butt rock aspect of the series.

Anyway, you just see a lot less of these kind of changes in animes or games these days because shows like Dragonball Z put in the work. They don’t seem to alter characters names as much, nor write completely different theme songs and soundtracks — maybe they’ll dub them with English lyrics. And of course some changes weren’t playing up “edgy’ stuff at all, such as the infamously edited-out tears, “I can see their parachutes,” or stuff like pretending rice balls are “donuts.” But those all those remnants linger in the cultural memory for lots of fans.

feetnotes fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 13, 2021

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Yeah, Goku’s definitely meant to be (at least mostly) a good person in the source material. He’s just not a super hero. He doesn’t spend his spare time thinking about honor and justice and the duty he has toward others — he just gets mad when someone is being ruthless and cruel right in front of him.

He isn’t called into action on the Batphone or alerted to danger by Zordon or whatever. Usually the big fights just kinda fall into his lap, often because someone has a grudge against him, specifically. Admittedly, at this point entities like the galaxy police and various gods do recruit him, but the vibe is usually “oh jeez, oh poo poo, maybe if we unleash that fightman on them it will work, please don’t let him screw this up!”

Also a bunch of characters wearing the same orange gi gave off mild “super team uniform” vibes, which is subtly different than “same martial arts master.”

I realize it’s all kinda splitting hairs, but I do think there’s a subtle distinction.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

I really hope it ain't Cell.

The trailers are definitely avoiding showing fully-powered-up Gohan, while teasing that he'll have "something" to show off. And that big round tank definitely looks like it holds the Super Secret real end fight. If Gohan's final fight form turns out to be "potential unleashed/mystic" and the fight turns out to be Cell, it means we wouldn't be seeing anything in this movie we didn't see way back in Z. That sounds... really boring to me. It also doesn't seem like what Toriyama has been interested in doing with the new stories. He'll bring back old characters or concepts, but use them to explore new ground in some way.

If Cell is brought back to life in Super, only now he has a new power up and has to be put down again, it would just make him seem even more like Freeza-light than he already does. Except what do you do with Cell besides just fight him and that's it? I can't really see him joining the gang as a true ally -- is Cell really going to be one of the top tier heavy hitters in arcs going forward? And if they tried to set him up as some looming threat that's still out there, he's once again doing the same thing as Freeza except with less personality and fewer story connections to bounce off of.

My wild hopes: we've seen Piccolo in this new "potential unleashed" form. There's heavy speculation Gohan will use his "potential unleashed" form. Piccolo has that demon/god legacy, Gohan's "potential unleashed" came from the Elder Kai, and Pan is the continuation of Piccolo and Gohan's whole mentorship/bond/training style. I would love it if all of those elements came together and coalesced into some new form, technique or something that is either god ki-adjacent or at least lets this crew stay in somewhat the same realm as Goku and Vegeta going forward. Maybe Gohan gets the new true form, Piccolo gets this "unleashed" form and Pan is revealed to be able to use the new ki type or whatever when she unleashes too. And then she can also be wearing the Piccolo clothes with the big shoulders at the end and it would be very cute. I know this seems like wishful thinking, but like, they featured these characters with their own movie for a reason, right?

I have no idea what villain would tie into this angle though, especially one that would be involved with the Red Ribbon Army. If it does have to be Cell, hopefully he's just a stepping stone to bigger and better things.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Heck, Freeza knows now that just killing Goku is no good, he’ll simply come back to life again. If Broly somehow managed it, great, but even if Freeza then tried to track down and destroy the dragon balls, the annoying earthlings would just send the little pig guy to collect the backup, backup set. Or Goku’s friends the literal gods and angels would intervene on his behalf. No, his only option is to figure out some way to get stronger than the saiyans, permanently. It’s not enough to eke out one win, he has to be able to put them down every time they pop back up.

I thought they might go the GoD candidate route for that, not sure now that Vegeta is on that path. Maybe something coming out of this Heeters arc will set him up for something.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Hell, I guess I’d rather it be Radditz than Cell. They can give him a super saiyan form/s, get another opening for Son family background/backstory, maybe some amusing banter between Gohan and Goten a la “at least you never actually tried to kill me!” Etc.

I also like the implication that they just left Radditz’s corpse to rot in a field somewhere until the RR turned up to collect

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

What’s even left at this point? They can bust out orange for Super Saiyan Halloween and then it’s getting pretty tapped out. Maybe a redder red than SS God?

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

If anything, the fact that he wished for both sons to thrive says to me that the wish did NOT dictate all the events of Goku's life. We know what happens to Radditz, so if Monaito even did make the wish, it was maybe only enough to save the two of them from the planet Vegeta's destruction and put them in the company/protection of others stronger than them. That gets them to adulthood, beyond that their survival is up to them. And, uh... they both failed that test, to greater and lesser degrees.

Yeah, I don't get how Bardock getting a textbook Saiyan "surpassing your limits" powerup would be enough to bridge this power gap. Like, not even just in terms of numerical fake power levels, it doesn't feel earned thematically. Feels like they want to set it up for Goku to take Bardock's "Victory" speech to heart and have that be "his way" toward mastered Ultra Instinct, as Whis was talking about last chapter. But this just doesn't feel like a satisfying answer to what unlocks UI, which has been built up for so long, nor to Bardock's whole deal this chapter, also lengthily built up.

This arc is dragging now, but I hope there's still one more shoe to drop or something before it wraps up, to tie things together a little tighter. There's been so many new things introduced and loose ends still dangling! What of Granolah and his shortened lifespan? Did they really just drop Vegeta's Ultra Ego only to do nothing with it? (probably lol, just like his 'Royal Blue' transformation.) Why make a point of the oracle fish not recognizing Gas, and Whis acknowledging it? And what's Elec really up to?

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Maybe you HAVE to lose the tail to get the real big power ups. And most Saiyans never figured it out cause they did their best never to lose them and the Oozaru trick with ‘em.

And that’s what powered up Bardock this chapter!

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

They’re worse than 17 and 18, but wayyy cooler than Cell.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Whenever Piccolo's not onscreen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Piccolo?"

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Frankly I don’t care if we never see or hear from Uub again? I kind of think he was just a way to communicate that Son Goku would pass the torch to another freaky strong kid to bring the story of dragonball full circle. There’s nothing else compelling about him to me. I like Mr. Buu as the ‘legacy’ Buu that joined the team, it’s funny that he’s strong but unreliable. And they already have too many ‘next generation’ characters they aren’t using. Give me Pan, Goten, Trunks, Maron, and Dende adventures. Puar can come too.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

I watched Super Hero yesterday, and I have to agree that Orange Piccolo

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Goku and Vegeta spend years training with angels and gods, crossing dimensions and timelines, to tap into and laboriously perfect sources of power hitherto unknown to mortals, almost tearing their bodies apart multiple times in the process.

Piccolo has one (1) situation go raw and uses the dragonballs to catch up over the course of one (1) afternoon.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

I feel like they could edit this arc down into something salvageable. Keep the cool ideas, and just get rid of a huuuuuge chunk of the fight where everyone fights each other twice and obtains the same power-ups twice for no reason. And cut the Bardock stuff down to brief flashbacks.

I can forgive a lot as long as it ends up being cool in the end. This doesn't quite stick the landing, but the ingredients are there.

Big Goku is, ehh, kind-of cool. Gas has been throwing energy weapons at him all fight, then graduating to constructs like the train, before finally just using the constructs as an extension of his body, hands and feet, as he burns himself out. Goku clocks all at once that he can throw it back at him with a big energy construct of the strongest weapon he knows: Goku. It's kinda dumb but kinda works because of it.

You know who really does Big right? Orange Piccolo.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

My main problem with Super Hero is that I don't think either of Piccolo's upgrades or Gohan's new form result in either of them actually doing anything new or original, so it's hard to really give a poo poo about them, especially the dumb-looking ones.

No he’s Orange now.

Seriously though, I do legitimately love that Piccolo got his first power up in what, 20+ years? And his first transformation EVER! He also literally forgot he could grow Big which is hilarious, so remembering that is like another power up.

Namekians and dragonballs are very iconic non-Saiyan elements of the series and i’m happy to see Piccolo repping them on the front fighting lines.

I was confused about something though. Piccolo wanted Dende to unlock his potential like Guru did to Gohan. He ended up using the dragonballs to do it, and then Orange is the “evolved” form of that state. But Gohan’s famed “Ultimate/Potential Unleashed” form is the one he got from Elder Kai’s ritual, not the one from Guru when he was a kid. Then Final/Beast Gohan is his new, evolved version of that form.

It’s only a minor mistake if it is one, Shenlong could easily have known Piccolo’s intent and made the right ‘Unlock’ happen. Just something I noticed.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

You know who really does the "Beefy Boy" powerup right?

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

In another universe, Garlic and Pilaf are both revealed to be apostate kaioshin, then permanently fuse using the potara. Zamasu steals Gohan's body and comes to be known as Gohan Black. When both entities are exiled to the dead zone, they find common ground in their megalomaniacal quests for power. They merge, giving them the ability to punch through the walls of the deadzone and into other universes.

Thus begins the Black Garlic Rice Pilaf saga.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Don't forget, Freeza is also now recruiting his recent enemies (the Heeters) to his team! Total Goku move.

Like, Goku and Vegeta extend the offer to Granolah - "You can stand in the back by Yajirobe!" - but get turned down. So Freeza's jus like "Hmmm guess I'LL be the one growing my Z Squad this time!" and hohohos away.

feetnotes fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 20, 2022

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Somehow you'd just end up with Majin Puu

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

smdh y'all are sleeping on the true Goten and Trunks super hero legacy

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

In Super, Kid Trunks had purple hair while Future Trunks had blue. You'd think they might keep them with separate hair colors to distinguish them, but Super Hero had Teen Trunks with the blue. Apparently he just always ages out of it at some point.

Anyway this rules and I can't wait to read more of it.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

I always wanted Vegeta to go train with Muten Roshi, trying to figure out Goku's secret, but Broly would be great too. It'd be fun to see Roshi come up with equivalent exercises to plowing fields by hand and delivering milk up a mountain, but for a galaxy-level titan. Or maybe he just uses the same routine and Broly tries to control his power enough to do it without wrecking poo poo.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Superman's dad is a farmer.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Well the Mafuba is cheating in the first place, so you can't blame him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Piccolo Daimao hates and fears martial artists because Master Mutaito trapped him in the denshi jar. That’s why he targets Tenkaichi Budokai contestants. He doesn’t seem to train either, his big power boost comes from wishing back his youth.

Piccolo Jr. enters the tournament purely to get to Goku, yeah. He seems to be relying on the same innate-strength style as his dad. BUT when he loses he contracts the fightman disease and that’s when he becomes a martial artist. Starts training and developing new techniques. Then finally Radditz happens and he becomes a good guy too.