Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The most baffling thing about this episode is that people are complaining it makes Super Saiyan Blue less impressive. Have these people ever watched this series ever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

You don't understand, Goku was holding back!

As a thought experiment I'm gonna list the reveal of each transformation and where it jobbed:

Goku's Super Sayain: Premiered against Frieza and won, lost against 19 because of the heart disease
Vegeta's Super Sayian: Premiered against 19 and won, lost against 18 (like five minutes later)
Gohan's Super Sayian: Premiered in the time chamber because Gohan thought about it like, really hard. Jobbed against like, Dabura or something?
Trunks' Super Sayian: Premiered against Frieza and won, jobbed to 18 just like dad
Gohan's Super Saiyan 2: Beat Cell, lost to Dabura I guess
Everyone else but Caulifla's Super Saiyan 2: Who even fuckin knows man
Goku's Super Sayian 3: Hahahahahaha
Ultimate Gohan: What a sad, sad display
Goku's Super Sayian God & Blue & Kaioken: Didn't even beat the guy it premiered against
Vegeta's Blue: That whole frieza thing was silly anyway.
Trunks' Super Sayian Rage: This one barely got explained and was kind of a big ?? by the end so I'll give it a win I guess, and he never really jobbed

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Every time someone mentions then teleporting universe 9 somewhere I feel the need to mention that Future Trunks no longer has a universe because of Zeno. I don't think they'd show us that he plays for keeps like that, just to have him pretend to do it later.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

And his first evil act is wishing Goku back into a kid and-

You know, that wish always bothered me. It's not like Pilaf could deal with kid Goku either, so it was a wish that wouldn't have helped him at all anyway.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

He didn't make that wish intentionally, he was just saying that he wanted to give Goku a good old spanking.

Yeah I know, it just struck me as strange he thought that at all. Do you guys think maybe Pilaf is a little... lacking in his quest for world conquest?

As far as the future holds, it seems like the three of them are fine just helping Bulma around the house with stuff. It's kind of a cute end for them since they have all the food they could ever want.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Cauli doesn't really seem as rough as the initially billed her as. She doesn't strike me as someone who would really cause that much trouble for people, she just doesn't let them gently caress with her. I think the Saiyans being better adjusted in general means they wouldn't get drunk on power like Universe 7's.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Professor Wayne posted:

Hey, god I personally know. Don't really believe in ya or your powers. But thanks for turning me into a senzu bean.

This is the most polite thing I've ever seen.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

It looked like Trunks already did that with Super Saiyan Rage. I figure Goku will abandon ki entirely and start using Nen.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

it's goku's strategy. she'll unleash SS3 and immediately tire herself out to the point where tien can knock her out

I don't think Goku would ever want such an unsatisfying end to a fight.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Augus posted:

he wasn't even told that the voice he was doing for Rosé was supposed to be the same character as Goku Black lmao. Nothing in Xenoverse should be taken as an indication for how Funimation will actually handle stuff, not even close

Considering one of his lines is calling himself "Super Saiyan Rose Goku Black" I find it hard to believe he had no idea.

Also, base Zamasu's voice sounded like the guy had absolutely no idea what he was saying, while Fusion Zamasu actually sounds pretty good if he put a bit more work in (a bit old though), so I'm not that worried about him.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

RBX posted:

You guys keep confusing words with sound. Goku Black Dubs voice should be just Goku's va is what i'm saying. Why would he suddenly turn British?

It is his va, his voice is literally just British Goku when he's rose.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

khwarezm posted:

Well probably not though considering the fact that universe 6 is apparently way higher rated than 7.

He must be doing something right.

Was it supposed to be way higher? I just assumed it was right above universe 7.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

He did it so Champa wouldn't bug him by stealing all the delicious Earth food for himself.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The whole ending to that arc felt like Trunks and Mai were retiring to a farm, so I don't think we'll ever be seeing them again.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

They also didn't get three movies like Broly did.

Kale's transformation this week was based on her wanting to not be a burden, it's not really like Vegeta where he just wanted to beat Goku. I'd put this more on the level of something like Cabba's transformation.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Hearing Cooler's Japanese voice has kind of ruined him for me. The TFS summary that essentially called him lamer Frieza seems pretty spot on, at least in Japan.

Though it really seems that way for pretty much every character that shares a voice actor. I like English Frost sounding very similar but not quite the same as Frieza, for instance.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Did it turn into the English dub for a second there? It sounded like Sonny Strait saying "Help me!".

On another note, how do other languages handle Goku's name? One thing that was surprising when I first started watching in Japanese was how often people would use the full Son Goku. Hell, Bulma doesn't even call him Goku at all, she always calls him Son-kun. Considering English dropped the Son part entirely, do other languages do the same?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dragonball is my favorite Magical Girl anime.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I do kinda wish Zamasu was around so we'd get an "I TOLD YOU SO" scene, cause Goku being the cause of this tournament is begging for it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

tbp posted:

goku literally saved billions of lives by having the tournament

Everyone else still blamed Goku, and do you really think he'd shrug and go "that's just how it is" when Goku's team was directly responsible for them losing?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Well if we're looking at Kai, the gap between Super Saiyan 1 and 2 is about 45 episodes. Chapter wise, they had a gap of about two years, so if we take into account Resurrection F it's about the same gap. The difference between the two being there have been multiple other transformation reveals inbetween these two for Goku, but I don't know if that's quite the same as we're probably never seeing Trunks or Zamasu again.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

In that case you'd also need to count the two powered up SSJ forms Vegeta and Trunks used too.

This is very true. The whole thing is kinda why I don't hold a lot of stock in super saiyan being "trivialized" by anyone, considering this Once In A Thousand Years transformation was shown to be done by a second person like fourteen chapters after it was revealed. Then as soon as Vegeta got it (and immediately lost his second fight) he was already talking about going beyond it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Nothing says edgey like losing muscle mass and complete control over one's ki.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

He went from denying Gohan's dislike of fighting to accepting that he's not a fighter in Super. Of course, then Gohan himself became a fighter once more, but that wasn't because of Goku.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Firstborn posted:

Can I skip the first few Super episodes if I saw Battle of the Gods and Revival of F? How's that work?

You should watch the original Super eps that take place before BoG, and inbetween it and RoF though. You're doing a disservice to yourself by not watching Vegeta Family Vacation.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

His "Yeah sure fine babe" line was sarcastic, so it's not like Vegeta would really say something like that normally. It makes it feel more like he actually pays attention to Earth culture enough to use it that way, especially since that ep also showed that Bulma takes him out to a bunch of restaurants.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah, I really get the sense that they're just adapting to the sillier writing. They started with Z, which didn't have nearly as much of this, but now the show has episodes that completely expect you to laugh at it, so it's not like the added lines are that out of place. I mean, one of the later episodes literally makes fun of Yamcha dying to the saibaman.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The most annoying thing was finding out Goku's speech to Vegeta about there being a new Saiyan race (to convince him to fuse) was made up by the dub, because "Even Krillin is dead" doesn't seem like it would do poo poo to convince him.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

That's just because Dr Gero was a ridiculously competent scientist.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dr. Gero saw a kid fight and made robots that outclassed the strongest fighter in the universe.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

To be honest I thought he was saying "No focusing on women has made me really strong and now I can beat the poo poo out of you" as some sort of nofap prodigy, and not that he was gonna sexually assault her, but her reaction tells me that no that really was supposed to be the implication.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Crabtree posted:

But seriously did Goku revive Roshi? Does that count as him accidentally triggering some kind of Creation power or technique to save his dirty old master?

I assumed it was the same thing as when Hit almost killed him in that it was just restarting his heart before he died.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The thing that strikes me the most about Goku is that he didn't show a single bit of concern about 11 other universes being wiped from existence when he first found out about the tournament, he was just excited to fight.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

sassassin posted:

Cabba and the u6 saiyans are the noodle armiest.

You should be comparing them to like, Goten and Trunks, not Goku and Vegeta.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Monaghan posted:

Trunks timeline died but low and behold there was an entirely new timeline waiting for trunks in which they all existed and none of the bad things even happened.

So I don't think it's as dark your making it out to be.

Trunks left knowing he failed to save his world and would essentially be an outsider to someone else's. Seeing Gohan made him feel a little better, but it definitely wasn't as simple as "There's a timeline that's just like his, everything is fine".

I still have no idea why they thought Trunks' universe getting destroyed as a good ending. Is there a person alive that actually enjoyed the way that arc ended?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

I mean you really don't think the Grand Priest would have noticed if Goku had sandbagged there? He's clearly all for the tournament, doing that just sounds like a good way to annoy him, and possibly Zeno as well.

Yeah, and Zeno had already seen Goku's fight with Hit, so he knows what Goku is fully capable of. This part really wasn't Goku's fault.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah he was kind of immediately proven wrong when they went back to the Future. The gods don't know poo poo.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Those trailers could be the only part of Dragonball Heroes that actually exists and it would still be the best DB game in at least a decade.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Beerus and Whis are in almost every ep of Super and were essentially the ambassadors for the series' revitalization at all. Beerus at the very least is definitely getting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Tien did about as well as he can really be expected, I guess. It really seemed about the same as Krillin's ep, though I guess it was a bit less impressive.

I am totally expecting Dr. Rota's ability to have some relevance later though. I'm sure it was amazing.