Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Can mortals watch Godtube?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Covok posted:

This is going to sound odd and I'm not an animator and never animated, but I always thought scenes like that were the hardest (or at least hard) thing to animate. By that I mean scenes where the imaginary camera revolves around a target so you slowly see it from different sides. It just seems that you would need more frames to make that look fluid than any other type of motion.

It is in fact extremely hard to animate, especially if they aren't taking any shortcuts with CGI, I actually find that interesting about Super, the animation budget obviously isn't the highest but, especially recently, they often have shots and scenes where the character movement is very dramatic and gets accompanied with extreme shifts in perspective, that poo poo's like the hardest loving thing to do and they often throw it in for shits and giggles.

In anime there's a lot of tropes they have that are designed to disguise a lack of animation, one of the reasons character mouths often seem so small is so they can have just have their mouth being animated while talking without the rest of the face or body shifting at all, it gets really obvious in some scenes in Z. In the first episode of the Tournament proper there were a lot of clearly reused shots, one particularly notable one was Basil kicking out an energy blast, they used that at least three times, and I think they actually made it for the fight he had with Buu like 20 episodes previously. That kind of thing is common, but in that case it was unusually obvious and there was a bit of blowback as a result. Finally they also have a lot of complex but still dramatic poses which are kept onscreen for quite a long time, usually to emphasis a emotional or action crescendo, a lot like a splash page in a comic actually, the recent fight between Goku and Frieza had a really good example of that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6RQsFNqNxg&t=57s

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
This episode was loving lit, the gently caress are you guys saying 'Oh, I hate this Broly stuff', Broly was bad for reasons that didn't have anything to do with ludicrous fight scenes, and considering this series is all about ludicrous fight scenes I don't understand how grognardy you could be to say Kale is too much for loving Dragonball. They go out of their way to show her losing her poo poo wasn't an ideal situation and she couldn't fight with intelligence and strategy, hence why Jiren smashed her. This was a really good setup episode to show Kales crazy power but massive pitfalls that means she needs to have some change and growth if she want's to be effective and shows how much more well oiled the Pride Troopers are.

Also the tears, the rage, the fury :allears:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

bowmore posted:

Kale/Broly existed purely to show how powerful Jiren is, that's terribly lame.

No, if that was the case she'd just have been knocked out here, she's being kept in and I'd say Caulifla will get knocked out before her going by the next episode. She'll play a significant role in the near future and will probably involve controlling her power and her form into something that was seen in one of the preview images, at which point she'll be a lot more effective.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Saagonsa posted:

Broly's form and fighting are very very very cool, it's everything else about him that sucks. It just so happens those first two things are the only thing they really share.

Seriously, Broly's actual problems were his terrible motivation (Crying infant!) and near total lack of characterization. I won't argue Kale's insecurity and jealousy of people getting between her and Caulifla are high art or anything but its a darn sight more understandable and relatable than anything Broly had, not to mention we've mostly seen Kale in her normal form up to this point and gotten to know her as an actual character.

Her letting loose was honestly pretty spectacular from a fight point of view, but they were clearly trying to hammer home the fact that what she was doing was almost the worst possible thing for that moment and seriously jeopardized herself and her team, so its not like the show or characters are all going 'She's so drat cool!' which was another Broly problem.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Man I hate how SSJ3 looks.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Counterpoint: Kale is cool and good.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Kazy posted:

Is "Sis" some weird pet name then or some weird honorific.

I was in board with Kale having romantic feelings until she started calling her "Sis" which I'm pretty sure she used the word for sister.

In Japan its apparently a normal informal address for close friends, especially in gang culture for superiors.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Pollyanna posted:

I am so loving hype for U6 Saiyans, you have no idea. Caulifla and Kale are my favorite characters in this show by far :kimchi:

No, see, Kale fought toe to toe with Blue Goku so the series is irrevocably ruined forever.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Crosspeice posted:

That's definitely a LSSJ.

Betcha that's Frieza attacking Caulifla in such a way as to exploit her trying to defend a weakened Kale 'cos he's a bastard.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Covok posted:

To be frank, it wouldn't exactly be a new thing for Dragonball, though. Or shonen in general for that matter. I mean, let's look at One Piece. One Piece lives on introducing 1000s of characters every Arc only for them to be forgotten at the end of the arc. Yes, I know that one occasionally returns, they get a shout out in the cover-page-snapshot story from time to time and such, but they are essentially gone. Marketing seems to let One Piece get away with that.

But for Dragonball, the only characters I can think that were really abandoned were some of the minor characters Goku spent time with all the way back in the Tournament and Red Ribbon Army sagas, like Suno, 8, Nam and Upa, and they were written out quite naturally. Since then almost everyone who didn't die ignominiously as a minor villain like Raditz have showed up in some capacity, Korin and Yajirobe still get scenes, Oolong, Puar, even bloody Pilaf.

Its telling that people still obsess over Launch's disappearance so much since its so unusual for Dragonball to completely drop a character like that, I doubt they'll do the same for most of the new characters established in the other Universes.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I think Universe 9 might stay dead.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Covok posted:

She was clearly tired out from the experience. So, it got across why people don't do that -- "you are basically letting yourself get hit 100%" -- while providing a reason -- "Kale is beyond reason" --- and establishing Kale's power -- "It has her winded and likely weary and wounded, but that's it" all while giving Broly fans a shout-out.

Yeah, people say it didn't do anything but she seemed hosed afterward.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Those smears.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Rirse posted:

Isn't the big change is "Pilaf and the Gang Didn't Wish to Be Young" so they probably never go to the birthday party and in-directly make Beerus mad, which caused all these events to start.

Wait, how did the Pilaf gang do that? I can't remember them doing anything to prompt Buu to hog the pudding.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Crabtree posted:

You know, I really hope Goku and Vegeta can visit U6 Saiyan home world. Because I've had a vision of Vegeta mocking the Nobility for not being elite enough while Goku wanders off with Caulifla so she could get him to join her gang. He teaches a bunch of punks how to go super saiyan just for the opportunity to fight like 20+ regular SSes at once and then the punks go out to cause some mayhem with their new form. The King and his elites are forced to intervene and it ends in Goku and Vegeta duking it out as a destructive order versus chaos fight that wrecks the capital of Sadal.

I want to hope for a Ryu Ga Gotoku reference episode while I'm asking for another Learn to Drive episode.

I was actually thinking its like the worst idea to teach someone like Caulifla Super Saiyan. There's a whole planet full of Saiyans in U6, compared to like five people in U7, what's going to stop them from going nuts and conquering the universe and maybe even the other universes when dodgy people like Caulifla can start to reach blue and beyond?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

deadly_pudding posted:

Caulifla is fine. We joke about her probably going Blue later in the tournament, but I'm pretty sure that's only possible because Goku and Vegeta are both ridiculous shonen protagonists who retained the "muscle memory" of Super Saiyan God. She'd have to be a God first, and that requires everybody involved to be pure of heart.

Basically what I'm saying is that if she turns Blue after watching Goku do it, then we can like 70% consider that an Alignment Check.

Didn't Vegeta skip god with just a lot of elbow grease?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Rirse posted:

Didn't Mai accidentally shoot Beerus? Or that only happened in the movie? I remember it made him mad, but I forget if this was before or after the puddling scene.

That was the movie before the Pudding scene and I think it was the bit where Vegeta placated him with the bingo dance, in the show he was accidentally doused by Goten and Trunks for a similar effect.

In both Buu ruins everything by refusing to give over the pudding.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Cease to Hope posted:

calling actual humans in the real world monkeys is pretty insulting, it doesn't need a lot of explanation

She also calls Kale a Chimpanzee and Gorilla, which don't have tails.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Blaze Dragon posted:

U7 and U6 are twin universes, so we can guess that most if not all races in both are the same.

You know they say that, but I was just thinking that none of the other universes seem to show any indication that they're twinned together and share races, like where are all the Magical Girls in the Pride Troopers? (that one chick they have doesn't count)

Though thinking about it, in Krillin's episode him and 18 were fighting two universe 4 fighters who were like wolf men, I wonder if they were meant to be the same race as Bergamo and his bros? They look quite different.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Enourmo posted:

If you think about it, Super Sentai and Magical Girls kinda are twin concepts, at least if you look at team magical girl stuff like Sailor Moon.

True, but like universe 6 and 7 are almost like Star Trek mirror-verses (with 7 being the goatee-verse which I just find brilliant); everything's mostly recognizable with a few tweaks, even their God's of destruction look the same. The other universes have a few thematic connections at best, its not like Gowasu has whole lotta' robot people to recruit.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

seiferguy posted:

This is cute until you think about the body toll Beerus has accumulated. I don't think we've seen Champa kill anyone, but I can't imagine he's much different than Beerus!

Well probably not though considering the fact that universe 6 is apparently way higher rated than 7.

He must be doing something right.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Momomo posted:

Was it supposed to be way higher? I just assumed it was right above universe 7.

Blaze Dragon posted:

It isn't. U6 is literally one position above U7. It's the third-worst universe.

Having good Saiyans and a Freeza that at least tries to look good to the rest of the universe despite still being a monster probably helped a lot.

I thought they mentioned that on the universal goodness scale or whatever Universe 6 scored like twice as high as 7?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Beerus is from a universe where two of his fighters had to be coerced into taking part with threat of death and guarantee of millions of Zeni just to ensure the continued existence of their daughter.

I'd say 18 would have fought anyway, but she'll never pass up an opportunity to extort millions from some stooges if the situation presents itself. Krillin was probably just being melodramatic and trying to make Goku feel bad but Beerus took it too literally. Alternately he probably didn't think he could handle the pressure.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Monaghan posted:

I hope that all the characters get to move to U7 since they're great additions to the cast.

As compared to GT which had..... 0. 0 good characters.

Super has Whis, Beerus, Hit, Caulifla, Jaco, Kale, Black, Zamasu, Cabba, Gowasu, Champa and Vados. Extremely impressive hit rate for new characters so far honestly (yes, I know some of them could be argued to be pre-super based on some of the movies and comics but come on, super basically starts with battle of the Gods).

Go gently caress yourself GT.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Haha, Brianne looks like a frame out of an early 60s/late 50s sci-fi horror movie called the 'Eyes of the Damned', or 'the Body takers' or something.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
If its not a habit yet they'll make it a habit.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Eh, some fun character stuff in that episode, but compared to last week it felt like they were just spinning their wheels and it was overall sort of boring.

Also, its kind of annoying me the way most of the eliminations have come from U7. Obviously they're the main characters but it wouldn't hurt to have some no-name fighters being thrown out by other universes to show they aren't standing doing nothing when the camera isn't on them, also I think that U7 could do with a cull soon since almost all of the other universes are getting pretty pared down in comparison.

I just hope Ribrianne and her gals kick some actual rear end next week and don't just job after one episode, wouldn't mind her throwing out Vegeta just for the laughs personally.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

RBX posted:

Yo this Vegeta hate will stop RIGHT NOW

It makes sense U7 would be doing as well as it is, everyone knows everybody pretty much, especially the way they split. They also have 5 really strong fighters.

Well, presumably the other universes are meant to be in the same boat, they are entire universes to pull tough, experienced fighters from after all, and clearly some like the Pride Troopers or the Kamikaze Fireballs work specifically as a group.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

RBX posted:

Yeah but as we've seen few of them are as strong as even 17 & 18. Vegeta, Frieza, and Goku at full try hard mode are prolly stronger than everybody but Jiren. Unless the next ep shows different.

Well that's kind of the issue for me, with the exception of Jiren, Toppo, Kale and Hit the top half of the Universe 7 fighters seem to be way more powerful than everyone else. Its a bit disappointing when they hyped this up tournament about pulling in the strongest fighters from all across the Multiverse, where Goku's universe is considered second from the bottom I might add, but then when it actually happens it looks like someone like Android 18, middle tier for Universe 7, can easily defeat the vast majority of people there. I kind of wish the other Universes were more of threat.

But maybe things will turn soon and Universe 7's comparatively smooth ride will come to an end. Hopefully.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Covok posted:

Meh. I've come to the realization that all the movie designs try too hard to be 90s superheroes. DBZ is at its best when it goes for simpler, borderline parody designs for its characters.

Cooler's such a loser anyway, he has this big fancy next level transformation, but he manages to put up even less of a fight than his brother did against Super Saiyan Goku.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I'm curious about Hog man, is he meant to be a parallel to Babidi?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Koalas March posted:

I loving love Dragon Ball. I almost named my cat (black/siamese) Beerus.

We had a big derail about DBZ in Negrotown back in the day. It was fun. DBZ was a 90s/00s black kid right of passage.

With all respect, why was that?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Covok posted:

The thing that always gets me with early Dragonball is the Casual sexual jokes. Or just the weird sexual jokes. Like Goku figuring out Bulma doesn't have a penis because, when he tries to lie down on her lap while sleeping, he notices there isn't any bump on her crotch like with his Grandpa. Like that was a thing that happened and you didn't notice it in the United States because it was censored out. Or Bulma accidentally showing her pussy to master roshi. Or Master roshi trying to watch Bulma poop. Like the list goes on and I'm just glad that he stopped with those jokes because they're really weird for a kid's show. Or just in general really.

Someone missed episode 89!

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Its a warm up, we are apparently only 10 minutes in after all.

I swear to god if Universe 2 gets erased... :bahgawd:

17 has gotten a lot of spotlight recently so I'll guess he'll be next to go down, probably courtesy of Ribrianne.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

ImpAtom posted:

my bet on the next out is Piccolo to help motivate Gohan next episode.

The way I think Dragonball works, the more someone who isn't Goku gets good screentime and cool fights, the harder they go down in a short time frame to try and ratchet up tension and big up the next opponent or transformation. Piccolo manhandles second form Frieza and then gets put down by his third form after about minute, Vegeta fights semi-perfect Cell and kicks his rear end but Perfect Cell backhands him, Gotenks and Gohan kick Buu's rear end for a while but both ultimately don't have enough to beat him, Vegeta defeats Frost, Magetta and Cabba and then gets downed by Hit practically immediately, Krillin takes down two fighters in short succession, so of course he slapped off the ring by Frost, heck even Basil got a bunch of work in during the first episode of this arc and lo and behold him and the rest of the Trio get obliterated one episode later.

In other words, 17 has kicked tons of rear end in the last two episodes so alarm horns are wailing at the moment. Its also why I think they'll have Piccolo hang around for a bit longer, he still needs to do something cool and at least meet his Universe 6 bros.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea I feel like universe 10 should be tien or roshi's big moment, not gohan's

Could be both, 10's on death's door, I wonder if they really will be erased.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

lezard_valeth posted:

Why do you take time off your day to make such bad comments!?!?

I know right?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Its really interesting watching the Dub since there's a fair bit of light cursing and innuendo which means its rated TV-14, so its edgier than DBZ was when most people watched it on cartoonnetwork, even though when the show is aired in Japan its meant to be for young kids and its actually more heavily constrained than Z was there wrt things like blood and violence which itself was often censored in the west.

Its funny to me how the two series's got flipped in opposite directions when they left Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I hope this leads to like 4 concurrent Dragon Ball series, focusing on the wacky adventures of different universes, before a giant crossover event.

Like The Marvel Cinematic Universe, but with Dragon Ball.

I've heard a lot of people talk about how they want to see spin off series set in the other universes.

Are spin offs much of a thing in Japan and anime? Not direct sequels I mean a Better Call Saul or Frasier-esque expansion of some secondary character or element that was popular in the original series into its own thing.