Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Plus she fought to make Gohan a productive member of society, therefore she is the greatest hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol if you think any Dragonball arc is flawless storytelling.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Zamasu is more interesting a villain than anything in Z and original.

Because they are all rather boring.

As DB and Z are a mess when it comes to storytelling.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Blue Star posted:

Obviously this is all up to opinion but i dont see whats so unique or cool about Zamasu. Oh another genocidal maniac, how original. The idea of a god that thinks no mortal is worthy can be interesting but not inherently more so than an alien warlord that thought he was unbeatable or a bio-engineered dude that is obsessed with being perfect and testing his strength. All of these can be boring as poo poo. But frankly Zamasu was ruined once he stole Goku's body and became another Tullece. Another evil Goku? Come the gently caress on. But Im ultimately whining about a punchman cartoon/comic book so jokes on me, I guess.

As for storytelling, DB and Z are far less of a mess than DBS has turned out to be. I still maintain that the progression from Raditz to Freeza is great. Cell Arc is a little more meandery, Boo Arc is just one fight after another. Original DB is probably better than all of Z.

Yes having an actual clear motivation is genuinely impressive for DB.

Most have either the insanely generic rule everything or ?????

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Cells motivation is insanely inferred and I mentioned Frieza and his boring rear end motivation

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Blue Star posted:

Okay. You obviously love Zamasu and thats okay :)

I don't actually love him, he is just clearing a fairly low bar.

I love the goofy poo poo he does tho.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Listing it out like that man DB is dumb.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Honestly they just shouldn't have brought Frieza back to begin with and let Frost do what Frieza is gonna do.

It's not like you would be missing much.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Andrast posted:

Yeah it's great

It is but that is kind of the opposite of what that post is trying to accomplish.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I assume defending your idea that DB is near flawless storytelling instead of a big dumb cartoon.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Blue Star posted:

Well I'm sorry it went over your head but I dont feel like spelling it all out. Sorry.

I literally just posted why you did it why would I need you to spell it out.

I know you have moved the goalposts a bit but I don't think you have fundamentally changed the game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

If you are radically and arbitrarily redefining high art then sure.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Blue Star posted:

I feel bad for you, friend.

I feel bad for you to, needing to twist yourself to convince yourself that a story must have good storytelling to enjoy it, sad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Also Cui! You can't forget Cui!

Cui is high art

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Blue Star posted:

Dragon Ball and Z is good storytelling. DB Super is not. DB SUper is bad and almost every new character introduced in Super has been bad. Sorry dude.

Lol no

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Wait outside of spirit bombs (and I think only the last one) when have people given energy?

That doesn't happen in DB outside SS Goku V Frieza

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Broly? Nah it basically is the perfect example of why the movies tend to be bad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Cell struggles because he starts out with a goal but once he reached it he has nothing else to do.

So they slap a generic goal on him and shrug.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Blue Star posted:

Cell is bad but no worse than Zamasu. :)

Anyway, Broly is bad and so are all of the movies. DBGT is bad. DB Super is...not great. Original DB and first half of DBZ are great. :)

This is just sad now

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Plus the hand motions being different is a pretty big deal for a fighting manga that likes to pretend it has some basis in martial arts.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Kild posted:

Maybe the early parts of Naruto but by the end you had poo poo like Madara and Zetsu and Eyehax vs Eyehax and literal immortal zombies.

To be fair only the Madara fight in those examples involved no selling.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Having characters no sell weaker characters just makes them feel like pointless time wasters.

Which perfectly describes half the Broly movie

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Kild posted:

You think sacrificing eyes to literally go 'nuh-uh' isn't no selling?

No? Why would it be.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Only the very last spirit bomb required cooperation, he can just suck the surrounding planets dry.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

That's directly brought up in the chapter

also if you actually read the whole thing it's clear Beerus is mainly winning through tricks. The only GoD he actually takes out is the robot.

I did read the manga.

That um, doesn't happen, he wins through A weird bullshit skill that they all should have.

That hell loving Goku should have.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

He doesn't even win. The fight's still going on.

He wins the part were everyone rushes him, until the clown decides to be an rear end in a top hat and gank one of the others turning it into a proper battle royale.

Which has no tension considering Beerus took on them all with rather little effort.

It's insanely dumb.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Rudoku posted:

A twin brother that looks enough like him to get hit in the heat of battle?

Nah, he can sense and react to attacks he can't see instinctively.

Yes this is a skill only Beerus has apparently

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

it's the skill Whis has been telling Goku and Vegeta about so no, it's not.

No they make a point about it, the other Gods apparently can't do it or there is no reason for Whis to bring it up as something special.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

RBX posted:

Calling everything but the final battles filler is a dumb, reductive way of thinking. Its not the animes fault you hate fun.

To be fair you have to win to matter is a problem most fans of DBZ have

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah they kind of pulled back hard once the tourney began.

Which is a shame as it's a lot less interesting.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

tbp posted:

its consistent

Just not from scene to scene

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

tbp posted:

nothing shown contradicts the idea that zeno was going to delete the universes and goku proposing the ToP saved 1 universe and billions of lives

In that one scene were they say it sure, which is why it's consistent, on a scene by scene basis.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

tbp posted:

its consistent throughout all of super

As long as you judge scenes individually sure

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

tbp posted:

i dont follow what you mean. like its a consistent storyline w/o plot holes. u keep saying individually the collective is consistent too

If you judge it individually sure

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Nah that is what happened they attacked him and he rather effortlessly beat them.

He didn't eliminate them but it doesn't matter.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Also his energy ball was not no sold, one of the gods got a barrier up and the others mentioned how if he hadn't they would have been crushed.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

cell ranks really low in those shonen jump character popularity polls

He was asking for the reason why, not why do you think that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

They are doing Buu, they talk about who they have cast as teen Gohan all the time.

They are just willing to put it on the back burner because they have legit turned teamfourstar into a company with an office and poo poo somehow and want to expand quickly.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Man I can't think of a way in which 21 isn't either boring or really stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

I mean if you're being pessimistic what's a better way to keep your patreon dollars flowing, implying you have content laid out for years and years or admitting you're not sure? Admitting you're going to do like, what's their next project?

I have to admit patreon in my experience rarely seems to make artists put out more material so maybe I'm just being sour. Like I said before though, I don't really care, Super fills the wacky DB hole in my heart just fine.

Their patron money seems heavily focused around their gaming poo poo.

Plus after Buu they are done so there is no reason not to finish.