Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Digging back into the thread a bit, but...

A Fancy Hat posted:

I'm reading the manga now and it's especially weird because they apparently did the Dragonball Z chapters before they went back and did Dragonball (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

So Piccolo talks normally when he fights Goku at the Budokai, then it's 5 years later and he's talking like he's performing Shakespeare. But he stops doing it by the time he's training Gohan. So it reads like he went through a theater kid stage and quickly gave up on it once he made a friend.
The way it happened was, Viz originally released their versions of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z simultaneously. So by the time they got to Demon King Piccolo in DB, they'd long since dropped his elevated speech in Z.

They also started the manga a few months before Toonami started running the anime and people could actually watch it at a reasonable time, so I'm betting a lot of localization aspects had yet to be set in stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

The very first thing anyone does when Raditz lands on earth is shoot at him.

It doesn't work out.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

they probably only knew about frieza's first form and concluded that he was an old lady because he always sits in his chair and is small like granny

Hey, if Goku can be played by an old lady...