Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

projecthalaxy posted:

I hope they pick even funnier people than Turles and Slug to be the recurring challenge bosses.

Like you're about to fight Jiren as MUI Goku and Wheelo and General Blue show up to stop you

Boss Rabbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Judge Tesla posted:

Hey I remember this episode of Super.

Good god, you're right. It actually was a thing!

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Gas has been Frieza all along.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Garlic Jr for canon entry.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I mean that recent issue sure was a thing.

Still trying to process how abrupt this Heeter arc was in its ending:
-Frieza joined the server-
"Frieza killed Gas with Jab!"
"Frieza killed Elec with Blast!"
-Frieza left the server-

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Things were never the same after Frieza. It was paint-by-numbers after that.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I think some of my favorite Dragonball stuff is early Namek. Partly nostalgia, but also I like the kind of chaotic nature of how you have basically three factions each after the same goal and operating with imperfect knowledge, and the little shifting alliances and dramatic turns that happen.

This. This is why everything after the Namek/Frieza sagas just never reached that same level. It effectively became "Us vs Them" once Frieza was done, and has been ever since.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Woke up to the news.

gently caress.

:smith:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Pureauthor posted:

Gero was pretty good at building robots and mockeries of nature that would try to kill Goku but he really sucks at classifying them. Cyborgs, Androids, blob monsters and whatever you'd call Cell all under the heading of Jinzou Ningen

I'd like to know just what the gently caress in-universe reason there was for Gero to have designed and built #19 looking like that. It's not like he didn't know how to build human-looking androids, since #16 exists. But for #19 he went down the route of "fat pasty uncanny-valley doofus" because..?

(Also lol at Toriyama's previous editor calling him in disbelief, laughing and describing what was supposed to be this great new threat to Goku and co. as "a fatso and an old geezer".)

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Endorph posted:

also devilman explodes the evil in you but kid buu is a creature driven by pure id and instinct. like frieza, demon king piccolo, cell, super buu, they're all cognizant that their actions are evil and take pleasure in that. kid buu has a sadistic element to his personality but it feels more like how a gorilla or monkey might smile at the pain of other primates, it doesnt feel like there's conscious malice.
Kid Buu may only be able to communicate in monkey noises and chest-beating but he absolutely knows what he's doing, and he does it because he's a horrible little shitbag.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

:unsmith:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

rye on white posted:

all i know is its cool as gently caress when the moon came back and gohan turned into the badass gorilla. ape hype running hot

That's right every one of his race canbecomeagiantgorilla!

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

robot roll call posted:

are you really watching dbz if you aren't watching up to the ginyu force and abruptly restarting from the beginning like 5 times

The PS2 Budokai/Budokai Tenkaichi games have a similar effect.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Waffleman_ posted:

It felt like Ocean was like "what fuckin gender is this thing aaaaaah get Linda to do a creepy voice"
Linda Young didn't do Frieza's voice for Ocean, that was Pauline Newstone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-OhIgJAGOE

But yeah the "ehhh do a creepy voice" bit checks out. The fuckin' script though... :catstare:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I agree with the thread that generally, the Abridged folks are, as they themselves admit, not the definitive dub, but honestly it's a real tough pick for me between Ayres and LittleKuriboh when it comes to Frieza. LittleKuriboh really knocked that one out of the park.
Also
"Fighting me by yourself? How gutless."
"...How is that gutless?"
"Suicide is the coward's way."
loving owns.

On the side of Ayres:
"Oh, ha ha. Your threats are as empty as your title; 'hail Vegeta, prince of no one'."

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Hunt11 posted:

Was there ever an explanation about how it came back?

Some sort of Kami magic.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I like how Vegeta has been there to (sometimes literally) kick Goku to the kerb and take over in any given arc's climactic fight, preventing complete catastrophic failure for the team after Goku does Goku things. His character development can also be noted:

vs Ginyu? "I might need you in my fight against Frieza."

vs #19? "I'll kill this fat dumpy clowndroid then you're next."

vs Kid Buu? "You could have finished this already? You're exceptionally stupid. I'll do what I can while you charge that Spirit Bomb, just don't gently caress it up!" (Bonus: Vegeta Redemption Arc!)

vs Golden Frieza: "Wow, you're still as stupid as you were when we first met. I'll take over, good thing Krillin can save you."

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I used to laugh at Krillin, because he's way weaker than Goku & Vegeta and during the entire Namek/Frieza Saga he got slapped around a lot, before ultimately being explodinated by Frieza. When you're a kid, that's funny.

Then I recognised that he's actually a loving badass who refuses to back down no matter the odds, and has various shining moments. I stopped laughing. Dude also overcame his shy/meek nature to marry #18 and gets by on a regular job as a hoverbike cop, despite being a planet-buster who'd make a mint on doing effortless demolition work (though that would be something of a busman's holiday, maybe?).

Krillin's a fuckin' champ.

Fake Edit:
Destructo Disc loving owns, too.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

gently caress it. Krillin is absolutely being a permanent character in my Zero five-man team.

Along with Goku & Vegeta because old habits die hard.

Edit:
To this day I love how instantly-accepted Beerus & Whis were to the canon. We all love cats and can relate to owning needy, moody little bastards*, apparently.

*I'd never have it any other way with any of my cats; past, present or future.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 21, 2024

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Tien used Solar Flare, so Goku stole Roshi's sunglasses.

Tien used Multi-Form, so Goku used Solar Flare.

lmao

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I wonder if Krillin will get a Z and Super differentiation. I know his repertoire didn't change much but to say he didn't change from Namek to ToP is silly. Give him an Ult. with 18 chipping in.

That being said, #17 & #18 would (should) get similar treatment too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Also the ancient art of... baseball.