Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

RIP to the great one. Dragonball has never really been the same since he was solely in control of it (basically the end of the Z manga), so I don't expect the current material to change much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

The more interesting saiyan topic would be, once they grow the beard does it statically stay the same shape and length like their hair? How often do they have to shave to keep from having one? Or do they have to like wish for it to happen otherwise it won't? So much hair mystery to be unravelled.

Tackle this Super/Daima

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

The pain of the pioneer releases ending right when Goku confronts Jace and Burter is a painful childhood memory. FIND OUT NEXT TIME ON DRAGONBALL Z or not, for years.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

That og DBZ run led me to getting the US Viz weekly/monthly reprints of Dragonball for the early arcs and those were so cool at the time. US comic size and design so bigger pages and images, but small cheap sets of like 3 chapters at a time.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Petiso posted:

To no one's surprise, she also voiced Turles.

Of those first three i got in a VHS movie box set, Worlds Strongest or Tree of Might is a hard debate about the best early DBZ film.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Just throw together another tournament of power I guess.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Alan_Shore posted:

Man Super Hero was a great time.

I wish it was animated properly instead of the video game cgi they used, but it's a small nitpick

Yup. Seeing fan posts of WHAT IF THEY ANIMATED LIKE DBZ AT ITS BEST does make me a bit sad. Everyone seems less imposing in Super compared to Z.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

It simply lacks some of the sharp detail that the hand animation offers, it doesn't look bad or anything, its just different and kinda softer feeling to me.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Goku is dense, a consistent character trait. Dude does not understand others particularly well if they aren't fight/strength obsessed folks and even then he mostly misses what they actually think.

He forever thinks Vegeta is just as happy ignoring his family as him, thinks freeza is just one spar away from not wanting to conquer the galaxy, and that cell would have been a great bro if only he'd chill. All of these are things that will never happen but he will never see it. He forgot who Chi-Chi was! His innocent charm I guess?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Larryb posted:

Doesn’t Goku basically have brain damage from hitting his head during his time with Grandpa Gohan or as that been retconned (I seem to recall him acting a lot more aggressive prior to that)?

Thats the macguffin that changes his personality from a true saiyan and leaves him with his nice personality. He was just gonna wild out and become an Ape to conquer earth if he hadn't gotten the big bonk.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

Considering Saiyan biology I doubt it had any permanent effects

Had to have been good for a zenkai boost after honestly

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

yamcha would probably be stronger than everyone in the frieza force that isnt frieza at this point lol

Resurrection F showed that the core Z crew can handle just about anyone in the universe minus the big bads. They were clowning on the entirety of Freeza's army including Master Roshi (who seems to have been granted some scaled strength in Super).

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Hunt11 posted:

Was there ever an explanation about how it came back?

Dragonballs at some point I'm p sure. Which is honestly a safe assumption for any inconsistency over time for stuff like that in the series.

e: it was Kami, but i'd stand by this general sentiment.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 3, 2024

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

So logically if you were doing Trunks, you'd have Future Trunks (Sword), Future Trunks (No Sword), Future Trunks (Super), Kid Trunks, Superhero Teen Trunks, and GT Trunks?

That's a lot of Trunks.

Just getting in line with the other core characters. Honestly Goten is probably the dude who gets the short end of this stick not really having any dedicated story to themselves. He's always just Trunk's pal and Gohan's talented but undefined younger brother. You'd get what 2 versions? Kid Goten and Teen Goten and neither has anything particularly unique about them might as well just be Goku skins.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

Just like Vegeta blew up those planets, maybe I did some bad things in the past. But now I'm a good guy (even if I'm a bit "rough around the edges" and a little "politically incorrect") so you can't judge me for that.

Yeah Vegeta is never confused, even when he really buys into being a "good guy" with Goku etc he knows he's a villain who will go to hell. He's totally okay with being judged as a bad dude by anyone, he kinda revels in it.

Lightly complicated by him being resurrected at the end of the Buu saga so one of the dragons clearly puts him in team gets to chill in the afterlife.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Hell is part of the afterlife.

Yeah but only good dudes keep their bods everyone else turns into a floaty spirit to be reborn.

I also should have only referred to it by its canon NA name the Home for Infinite Losers

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Super really is just a dragonball sandbox playground, they just got weird and wacky with it, throw some ideas at the wall whatever lets just have fun I guess.

The multiverse, so hot right now, gotta lean into that.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

So rereading Z and some of Super I feel like the Chamber of Time and Space got quietly adjusted and that was just ignored?

In Dragonball and Z there is a distinct time limit to how long you can spend training there. The physical and mental taxation is largely resolved by time you get to the Cell saga (they've done a lot of gravity training by then, SSJ transformations, and they don't go in solo), but its really up front that you can only use it for 48 hours of your real life to get 2 years of training in or the door is gone and you're stuck. Goku between his kid time and training with Gohan likely had very little time left before he was out of it and would be trapped forever. They try and use that trick on Buu, basically lets just stay stuck here (didn't work cause LOL he's loud).

Yet when you get into Super, Freeza spends 10 years in a chamber of time and space to achieve his Black transformation (sure that one could have different rules), but Vegeta/Goku straight up use it for 3 days/3 years of training which should be impossible based on their prior use of it, and the established rules about how long you can be in the one at Kami's lookout. I guess we can chock it up to "hey dragon we made a wish off screen", but it seems to me to be an unaddressed topic that was given a throwaway page in the manga. Maybe he just didn't think about it and said cool "they'll be stronger cause of this and its my easiest explanation for an empty increase in strength".

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Monaghan posted:

Frieza learning the value of training and self improvement while still being a horrible bastard was just... the best.

Like, Vegeta was already warning goku back in the broly movie that "Frieza caught up to our 15 years of training in four months, we are hosed if he start's training again." Then during the granola arc, Frieza is like an afterthought because obviously Granolah Vegeta and Goku could beat Frieza's rear end now. But nope, Frieza trained for the equivalent of fifteen years because he found a place like the hyperbolic time chamber. Now he clearly the strongest guy around and easily destroys everyone. It wasn't an out of nowhere or out of character power up at all.

Man with getting Gohan back up to par, Broly being cool and developing more and Black Frieza there was so much cool poo poo to work with. Now we'll likely never know how it was gonna end.

Freeza is just the Saiyans forever rivals now. They will fight each other to increasingly colorful transformations until they die from old age and continue to do so in the afterlife.

In accepting training is good, he has also learned that the fun in life is being Goku and Vegeta looking for that next punch fight high. Conquering worlds is just a day job (and kind of a boring one now too given we know universe 7 is low on planets of value and powerful folks outside of the crew). He straight up just lets them off the hook cause "i didnt' come here to try and kill you today, some other time, but be impressed with my mighty power).

I think Toyotaro will be back at it eventually and we can get Super Sayian Rainbow Sparkle God Super Saiyan or something down the line. I agree the setup that we were left with is way better and more interesting than the last 2 or so arcs of super prior to the Superhero retelling.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 22, 2024

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Kurui Reiten posted:

After the entrance was destroyed by Piccolo, Dende repaired it and improved the chamber. Presumably, like the Dragon Balls, the Chamber was originally meant to be a sort of legendary reward. When it turned out Goku and co. were just going to abuse it anyway, it made more sense to make it more practical.

Vegeta still blows it up like an rear end in a top hat every once in a while, though.

I can buy this. Vegeta would get pissy and blow it up every now and again then be mad at Goku they have to yell real loud to get out. Bulma is mad after this when his voice is all scratchy and Bra doesn't like it.

GateOfD posted:

Only thing left is for Frieza to taste earth food.
I like he isn't hellbent on killing them, probably figures even if he does succeed, it be more of a pain after they somehow come back to life. He's also probably tsundere in that he's actually kind of grateful for them to get him to get this strong, he would actually enjoy their company if they hung out for a bit

Yeah all of this tracks, they got along enough in the ToP. I bet if he'd just be over the whole galactic army thing he'd enjoy the hell out of training with Beerus, eating great food (he's always hiring chefs), and getting to punch those filthy sayians as much as he can. Sadly Frieza has a business to run and with his dad dead no one to pawn it off on. Capitalism strikes again!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Your son truly understands what Dragon Ball is all about, far more than a big part of the fan base does.

100% this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I like that the facial animations there are closer to the Z style than the Super style.