Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Or maybe, just maybe, the children look like their mothers and fathers so we can tell they're related. Just... Maybe...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Testekill posted:

I don't get why people have such fond memories of the Ocean dub, I found it hokey growing up and found the funimation dub way better.

The Funimation dub for a long time was just bad imitations of the Ocean dub, especially Piccolo and Vegeta. Brian Drummond and Scott McNeil for life yo

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm so glad they brought back 17, he's totally owning it.

I love Super. Super is the best. Absolute best.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Can someone link those videos?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Here's something you may or may not find interesting!

Since I'm loving what DBS has done and since I saw it in a shop, I impulse-bought and then spend 4 goddamn hours making this Figure Rise Standard kit today.

Yes, even has the bomb inside

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I guess cos he's not wearing that awesome MIR shirt. I'll get him next time though!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Yamcha comic owns. Wish it was longer.

I'm really surprised we haven't seen Freeza do more. What the hell is he up to? He should be clowning everyone. My complaint so far.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Haha, it's a cafe. A strange and wondrous cafe

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I wish people would use spoiler bars in the goddamn thread. Rules still apply don't they?

If anyone has ever painted one of these Figure Rise things please give me tips. There's nothing online that I can see which is so weird.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Hit is awesome. Great episode.

Two questions:
1) has anyone played the DBS card game? If so tell me what you think.

2) if anyone has made the Figure Arise Standard DBZ models, did you paint them? If so tell me about it. There is literally zero information about it online and I find it unbelievable

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Ah yes, that "good writing"

Edit: The "spirit" of the original is to have Vegeta say "babe"?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I can't ever imagine you'd watch the original DBS dub and think Vegeta would ever say "babe". Talk about about a fundamental misunderstanding of the character.

*sub note: fundamental means you done goofed son*

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

CharlestonJew posted:

Vegeta has gone through a lot of character development and is now able to sarcastically call his wife "babe", whats the problem here

Vegeta is a Saiyan prince and would never adopt English slang to refer to his wife.

Unless it's a bad English dub unless sure why not it's pretty funny lol

Please show me the character development that makes Vegeta more "human".

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

... The... part where he went from being a selfish prideful rear end in a top hat to the guy who was willing repeatedly to swallow his pride in order to protect his family?

Yes but none of that makes him more "human" and more likely to adopt words such as " babe" and "mondo" and "tubular." It just makes him more likely to give his life for that of those he loves!

*Vegeta explodes to protect Bulma"
"This one's for you babe! This is good writing gurl! Ahhhhh..."

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

CharlestonJew posted:

He literally said "babe" once in the dub, when he was being dismissive of Bulma. Why are you going crazy over this one instance?

Because I've never watched the dub and it sounds absolutely ridiculous and dumb to me. Vegeta would never say that. It's fine if you like the dub and all but Vegeta would never say that. Ever.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Okay, but the parts where Vegeta goes from being dismissive to referring to characters in familiar or loving ways is a literal actual part of his development to. "That's My Bulma" for example. He still treats Goku that way because that is their relationship but even then you have the ending of the Buu arc.

Vegeta's style of speech does actually change as the franchise goes on. He continues being Price of All Saiyans Man but he lets it slip around Bulma and Trunks and occasionally around others. This is a thing even in the Japanese version. You can argue about how to best convey it but properly showing that Vegeta's chilled out among his family is a good thing.

I agree with all of this, but I think calling people "babe" and telling them to "chill K-Dawg*" is not the best way to represent his change of character. For example, "that's my Bulma!" is totally fine. "That's my sweetie!" is not. It's a small distinction but an important one.

*this might not have happened

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

Just frame this post and put it in a museum

Why? Because caring how a character in a stupid anime is translated is dumb? I don't even watch it dubbed because Christ why would I but you have people arguing that Vegeta would totally say "babe" and drat have I been owned?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Babe! Babe! Babe. Babe? Babe.

Babe! BABE

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm rewatching Kai to re-jog the ol' memory and King Cold is way stronger than Freeza, so if he had trained a lil bit he's be way stronger than Golden Freeza. Maybe? He was only in his second form too! He must have been waaay strong.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Well Freeza is stronger after being rebuilt than when he died. When he and his dad land on Earth the heroes are freaking out because they sense Freeza's ki and someone else's ki who is "even stronger" (his dad.) So that's why I think King Cold is stronger than Freeza. It's all about the ki, 'bout the ki, 'bout the ki...

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Jedah posted:

Interesting, I'll have to go back and watch this. I thought they were talking about Future Trunks for some reason, but then I remember the scene where Trunks had intentionally hid his power, just to mock Freeza and his henchmen.

Yeah, this is before Trunks even shows up!

Burkion posted:

The thing is, how many of them really got to see Freeza at 100% of his true power?

I never once bought that Cyber Freeza was stronger than regular one because how could he be?

Umm, because now he's half robot? Hello!

sassassin posted:

When during the show is the sensed ki or "power level" an objective indicator of a character's combat power?

It is explicitly misleading more often than not.

Like, literally every time a new villain shows up, and everyone starts quaking in fear of their HUGE KI. Like, every time.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

havenwaters posted:

Oh my loving god the dub continues to be incredible.

https://twitter.com/MsDBZbabe/status/901646500924723201

Vegeta's voice... oh my god. Christ. It still sounds like a bad Brian Drummond impersonation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDJHs-Q6SwA

Piccolo isn't bad though.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Saagonsa posted:

A threat of rape isn't exactly the same as an attempt at seduction, and it's okay for people to kinda not be cool with the former.

I must have missed when Roshi threatened to rape anyone this episode? Or any episode?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I was tempted get Xeno2 for the Switch next week but it's £55 so gently caress that

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Come on, the only really "interesting" they can do if have Goku be eliminated next or after. But that ain't happening ever

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

What I'd really love is if Goku was eliminated and now Vegeta has to step up, learning to actually work with people, being supremely stressed because he actually cares about his wife and 2 kids, and pushes through and unlocks a new form and wins the tournament while Goku has to watch from sidelines, as Vegeta is the best and a good family man.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Lol why would anyone spoil DBS, the amazing punchy show. "I can't take the suspense! I must know who is punched before I see it!"

Cue reams of spoiler bars before people start just blatantly mentioning them

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

This is your one chance to watch Dragon Ball without knowing how everything happens! Don't throw it away!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

CharlestonJew posted:

drat this guy's a badass

Goddamn if watching a show without needing to know spoilers makes me a badass then I shall bare this burden

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

seiferguy posted:

I listened to a Q&A of the voice actors of Mr. Satan and Buu, and the guys are funny as hell. A few random things I remember:

- they don't keep up with subbed DBS,
- Both of them hate the Japanese voice of Buu.

What is this garbage

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

good taste in buu voices is what

How do you sleep at night

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I love this show, I love Kefla and I hope Vegeta/17/18 beat up lots of peeps

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

HGH posted:

Being second fiddle hurts :(

Yes quote a spoiler and then directly reference the spoiler so we all can infer what it's about. Great job!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The spoiler that Vegeta or Toppo will feature in an upcoming episode and do a thing.

Really? That response indicates that Vegeta will just "feature" in an upcoming episode?

If you want to chat about spoilers just spoiler it, simple!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That episode was loving amazing and I love this arc so much

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Holy poo poo I need to see that

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Holy gently caress Brian Drummond still sounds better than whatever garbage voice they got for Vegeta. Love dat Ocean Dub

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I love Vegeta and I love this episode and I love Super

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Freeza is absolutely stronger than 17 and Gohan and Dyspo and Toppo. Come on now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Stronger than Gohan and 17 yeah.

Dyspo and Toopo lol no.

If you don't mind I'll quote this post after next episode (or possibly the episode after that) with a loving LOL or something.