Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blaze Dragon posted:

Honestly using x20 against Vegeta would've just killed Goku. Even x3 was more than he should've done, x4 left him so badly hurt internally that a small congratulatory slap from Yajirobe was extremely painful. Even Goku himself pointed out that x5 afterwards would've done far more bad than good, x20 would be insta-death.

Hell it took until very late Super for Goku to actually pull a x20 without consequences. With Blue, sure, but that number in Z was used once and it was something Goku knew fully well he should not do but also he was out of options. It also, of course, did not work, but that's another issue entirely.

Let's all forget Goku once pushed that thing to x100. Lord Slug was a very interesting movie.

They should just increase production of Senzu beans and wear a beer hat filled with Senzu bean juice that goes through a tube into their mouth. Then he can do as much Kaiokens as he wants while healing the damage with the bean juice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lunatic Sledge posted:

The spirit bomb pissed Freeza off enough to explode Krillin, so when you think about it the spirit bomb killed Krillin

Goku sacrificed Krillin so he could gain power, when you think about it

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I purchased Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot in honor of Toriyama's passing, and it's good. Amazing fan-service game with a ton of content.

It also confirms that Vegeta murdered at least 4 Namekian children in that one village, 3 of whom were together in a little group. Not cool!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yesterday I read the short "reincarnated as Yamcha" manga. It was actually surprisingly reasonable. Yamcha goes to get his power unlocked by the Namek elder guy before Vegeta/Nappa arrive, which (combined with training) gets him to a 10,000 power level and enables him to defeat the Saibamen + Nappa, and him + Goku are enough to beat Vegeta. But then he gives up because it's impossible for a human to keep up with the bullshit from later in the series.

shame on an IGA posted:

Krillin rules and my only disappointment in him is that he doesn't constantly remind Vegeta that he had his rear end and is only alive because Goku begged him to put down the sword

One "Krillin saves the day" situation I was recently reminded of in the DBZ Kakarot game is the time he saves himself and Gohan (and maybe Dende, forget) from Dodoria with a Solar Flare.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Goku becoming Super Saiyan in Kakarot owned. I was worried it'd suffer from the issue some other cool scenes did where the gameplay is still slow/hard even for fights where you're supposed to be owning someone (like Goku vs Jeice/Burter, or loving Vegeta vs Dodoria lmao), but it's easy to kick Frieza's rear end when transformed, even on Hard.

Looking forward to getting the transformation on other characters, plus just getting to add characters like Trunks to my roster. That'll also be a good time to do the Trunks DLC.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

mmkay posted:

Unfortunately the Freeza saga is the last one with good cutscenes, it's almost all still pictures afterwards (unless they added some in an update).

According to the encyclopedia thing, I've only seen roughly 1/4 of the game's movies, though maybe the later ones are lamer.

The DLC seem cool from the one I've played (the world tournament one).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blaze Dragon posted:

Kakarot has no interest in the Androids/Cell Saga. The game returns to actually cataloguing the series properly in Buu but Cell feels like they wanted to skip it but couldn't. It's the saga where Goku is least important so I get it to some extent in a game called Kakarot but it sucks.

That's a huge bummer. I'm about to start the android stuff (I'm in the post-Frieza intermission) and was looking forward to things like that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how in Kakarot you can resurrect characters like Raditz and Nappa with the dragon balls. Gohan asks Nappa to be his training partner, and tells resurrected Dodoria to be a good guy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kakarot screwed up the scene where Tien keeps Cell pinned down. This just showed him hitting Cell with it a few times, while IIRC Cell originally kept getting slammed down and got really mad and frustrated.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just noticed that all Namekians are men

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm doing the Bardock DLC in Kakarot, and it's wild how the story tells you Bardock is a good/honorable guy while he's Literally Super Hitler

You could say the same thing about Vegeta, but IIRC Vegeta is never directly shown doing the whole "exterminating everyone on a planet" stuff in the original manga (and he's also considered a bad guy at the time when he's doing that stuff, so there's never the weird juxtaposition of "him doing genocides" and "him being praised").

Re: Frieza's voice, his original dub voice is actually pretty accurate to the Japanese voice

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

To be fair, having the Superman origin story doesn't necessitate him being a hero of justice.

He's the least evil a Saiyan had ever been (until Gohan), but he was still selfish enough to let Piccolo and Vegeta walk away so he could fight them again.

Tbf, IIRC reincarnated Piccolo hadn't actually done any murders (and was kind of obviously very different from his King Piccolo persona)

Edit: doesn't Goku give Cell a senzu before Gohan fights him or something? The Cell/Gohan situation is probably one of the worst "Goku being an rear end in a top hat" situations

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

goku thought gohan was like him and just liked fighting only to learn far too late that gohan doesnt enjoy fighting for the sake of fighting

Of course Gohan's real father Piccolo already knew this lol

edit: to be clear I think it's actually good story-wise that Goku has these obvious character flaws

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think Roshi got scaled strength, Roshi just was always a top-tier human until space aliens started to come into play. It's worth noting that Roshi is still arguably the strongest human being on Earth who isn't either an alien, descended from aliens, was given a powerup by an alien, or is a cyborg. Dude was an absolute fuckin' beast for humans.

I'm pretty sure both Krillin and Tien were stronger than Roshi prior to Krillin getting his power unlocked on Namek, though.

But power level stuff even early into Z makes no sense, because early Z tells us that Kami could have trained everyone up to at least Raditz levels in (IIRC) less than a year if he wanted to.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zonekeeper posted:

It's hilarious that Toriyama paid lip service early in Z to trying to get everyone caught up to Goku's previous major fight's power level (having them train with Kami/King Kai/etc) before proceeding to do absolutely nothing with them. The Vegeta/Nappa showdown is basically the last time the bulk of the cast actually participates in a major way aside from one-off moments like Tenshinhan putting Semi-Perfect Cell in a hole.

Krillin at least did some stuff on Namek, like saving him/Gohan/Dende from Dodoria with a Solar Flare.

Speaking of Solar Flare, it's definitely one of the best abilities in the series. I think it almost always works, regardless of how powerful the target is.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain France posted:

I have to assume his power up came from a combination of the unspoken "seeing a higher power level makes it way easier to reach it" rule, and being inspired by his students hitting what seemed like a ceiling and smashing through it over and over.

Krillin in particular is a normal human who is more powerful than Roshi would have considered possible at his previous peak, and that probably taught Roshi that he had higher to go too.

He learned from his students. :3:

I want a "what if" story where Krillin (and his right-hand-man Yamcha) leaves Earth and becomes a warlord reigning over hundreds of worlds, destroying uncooperative planets

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

As someone who didn't follow Super at all until very recently, learning of the existence of "Orange Piccolo" was extremely funny to me, and even more funny after looking up what he looks like. And then learning that he's really big!

IMO they should have done something with his antennae. Like had them become spiky or grow new ones.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

P-Mack posted:

Being really big isn't related to Orange, it's something Piccolo was already able to do but just forgot that he could for 400 episodes

Yeah I realized it wasn't part of the transformation after that post (though he hasn't really used the "grow big" since his first fight with Goku I don't think - since it kinda sucks against smaller opponents).

ImpAtom posted:

Dead Zone and World's Strongest also benefitted from having the closest to original villains prior to BoG. Like, yeah, Garlic Jr was kiiiiiinda treading on King Piccolo territory but he was different enough it didn't feel that way (especially compared to goddamn Slug) and Professor Wheelo, aside from 'mad scientist who makes robots', wasn't really close to anything and predates the Android saga anyway.

I always confuse Garlic Jr and Pilaf

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like the Future Trunks DLC in Kakarot. That whole setting is kind of interesting, with the relationship between Trunks and adult Gohan. Gohan in that setting seems really tragic to me. Just suddenly forced to take all the responsibility, despite being the Z-fighter who hates fighting.

Larryb posted:

Maybe they’re members of the same race or something

I think Pilaf is a human. I feel like it was mentioned in the Kakarot game I'm playing somewhere.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

No Dignity posted:

People project so hard onto Vegeta it's weird

Just like Vegeta blew up those planets, maybe I did some bad things in the past. But now I'm a good guy (even if I'm a bit "rough around the edges" and a little "politically incorrect") so you can't judge me for that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

Krillin's got a hot Cyborg wife, an adorable daughter and has a One Piece ringtone.

Krillin is definitely the most successful of the DBZ humans. Poor Tien keeps training, fighting a hopeless battle to remain competitive with the Saiyans. Yamcha...well, he actually made a decent life for himself, but I think he still doesn't have a steady wife/girlfriend?

Krillin manages to balance doing some martial arts with also having a fulfilling life.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I used to laugh at Krillin, because he's way weaker than Goku & Vegeta and during the entire Namek/Frieza Saga he got slapped around a lot, before ultimately being explodinated by Frieza. When you're a kid, that's funny.

Then I recognised that he's actually a loving badass who refuses to back down no matter the odds, and has various shining moments. I stopped laughing. Dude also overcame his shy/meek nature to marry #18 and gets by on a regular job as a hoverbike cop, despite being a planet-buster who'd make a mint on doing effortless demolition work (though that would be something of a busman's holiday, maybe?).

Krillin's a fuckin' champ.

He's actually important/necessary pretty frequently. On Namek, he saves Gohan/Dende (and himself) by using Solar Flare on Dodoria. And he's the one who throws Goku's spirit bomb to hit Vegeta (which is then reflected by Gohan).

And he has moments of high relevance even later, like when he spares 18 soon before Cell absorbs her (which is sort of like the good parallel to Vegeta's actions - Krillin contributes to Perfect Cell by leaving 18 alive, as opposed to Vegeta deliberately just letting Imperfect Cell live).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Last Celebration posted:

I mean, I agree overall that Krillin is rad, but paralleling Vegeta in any way before the very end of Z is not a good look. Even when Vegeta did something not dicky like lashing out at Perfect Cell after he came back and killed Trunks he still managed to be a pain in the rear end.

I mean, there's a kind of giant difference between "letting this villain become stronger because you want to fight him" and "refusing to murder someone to prevent the villain from becoming stronger."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Freeza is just the Saiyans forever rivals now. They will fight each other to increasingly colorful transformations until they die from old age and continue to do so in the afterlife.

In the end the ultimate form will just be a glowing orb, shedding the weaknesses of the flesh

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Krillin should just suddenly have a very late-life growth spurt and show up 6'2" tall in Super

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

holefoods posted:

hell why not give krillin some kind of transformation it’s fiction let humans have a cool thing

It's actually kind of funny how DB (at least from Z onward) specifically excludes humans from having special talents, while I think most other prominent alien races have some sort of special power thing going on (Saiyans, Namekians, Frieza-race, even stuff like the Granolah's race with the eyes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zore posted:

They also have the smartest people in existence in that they produced someone who built a time machine that duplicated god and created the indisputable champion of a battle royale for the multiverse.

That's true, the Androids can be chalked up to humans. But it's still funny how pervasive "species bonuses" are across the other humanoid species.

Even Melone, Frieza's cook, is greatly empowered by eating some Namekian fruit (this is canon)