Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Hollismason posted:

Yeah the new Road House is good but there are no throat rips

ah so no reason to watch it, good to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
I am 2:33 in and am having a hard time processing this CGI Post Malone fight. This is so weird.

So it's not bad, but I really dislike the use of CG in fistfights between human beings and they do it a lot here. Something just gets lost.
It is funnier than I thought it would be, but somehow kinda charmless?

Majkol fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 22, 2024

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Also Connor McGregor voice is some loving looney tunes character voice

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah you're not kidding, this movie sure looks like a movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_B9K-sUuts

lol

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Also watched the new Road House, I don't remember the first one being this funny? They should have just gone full action comedy, it's 90% of the way there already. I was surprised, I lol'd a bunch of times.

Yeah I'm roughly 20 minutes in and the ride to the hospital is the hardest I've laughed in a while.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I watched Bad City last night and then skipped around a bit on amazon today to see the CGI fighting in Road House. Frankly I didn't think it was that bad or noticeable. The problem was that, well, I watched Bad City last night! and 60 year old Ozawa (Kuze from yakuza 0) was putting on a hell of a lot more, albeit more slowly, than McGregor/Gyllenhaal. Jake G's one of my favorite actors so I'll give the full movie a shot but man, he needed more to work with.

And if you want to see an action comedy I'm going to scream for years about how great Hundreds of Beavers is. Plus, Baby Assassins 2 Babies should be out soon...

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Most important question about the new Road House.

In it, does pain hurt?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

garycoleisgod posted:

Most important question about the new Road House.

In it, does pain hurt?

No, no it does not.

No wait, I think it's still unresolved, I got my quotes mixed up. But Gyllenhaal has exactly the right amount of charm to pull the line off.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah I'm roughly 20 minutes in and the ride to the hospital is the hardest I've laughed in a while.

Bump!

Moe is hilarious, probably, my favorite part of the whole thing

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Bump!

Moe is hilarious, probably, my favorite part of the whole thing

How's Daniela Melchior in it?

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

How's Daniela Melchior in it?

She was fine, i don’t think she was terrible or anything. I watched the original over the weekend and liked her more than the nurse in the first.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
my god McGregor is going to have a heart attack before he's 50.

Huojis
Sep 2, 2011
Tried to watch Verhoeven's Flesh + Blood. Emphasis on tried. I had to switch it off halfway through. Graphic, extended rape scenes, or any rape scenes at all, really, aren't my thing. I mean, Death Wish II had a horrible rape scene (which I had to fast forward through), but at least it's followed by the main character of the film spending the rest of the movie hunting the perpetrators down. Here, the main character of the movie IS the rapist, and the scene in question is followed by the victim falling in love with her abuser, and the rapist being portrayed as this lovable swashbuckling adventurer type. Probably Verhoeven was trying to make a commentary about the medieval times or something, and it's not like I think that he thinks that rape is cool. I also know he likes to be shocking and controversial, but man, I find it pretty much impossible to justify anything like THAT in any movie. Maybe it got better in the second half, but I'm not even interested in finding out. Shame, because obviously Robocop, Total Recall and Starship Troopers are among the best action movies ever made. This one felt like it was made by a completely different guy.

So anyway, I also watched the Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974). Yeah, I know it's not really an action movie per se, but I just want to mention it here because I enjoyed it so much. Loved the soundtrack and the performances, as well as the gentle silliness of Walter Matthau's character. It also takes the cake for the best final shot of any movie I've ever seen.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Flesh + Blood is good but it's definitely extremely confrontational, extremely graphic, not for everyone, and not really an action movie. It's much closer to Benedetta than anything else he's made I think.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I watched Flesh + Blood once and haven't watched it again, whereas I watch Robocop/Total Recall/Starship Troopers almost every year. Flesh + Blood is a very well made film like all of Verhoeven's stuff is, it's just not nearly as fun.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I gotta watch showgirls again. That movie is fun as hell.

Huojis
Sep 2, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Flesh + Blood is good but it's definitely extremely confrontational, extremely graphic, not for everyone, and not really an action movie. It's much closer to Benedetta than anything else he's made I think.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'd be interested in hearing what you think Verhoeven was trying to say with it.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

I gotta watch showgirls again. That movie is fun as hell.

I haven’t seen it, are the fights good?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I haven’t seen it, are the fights good?

Better than Dune 2.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Huojis posted:

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'd be interested in hearing what you think Verhoeven was trying to say with it.

It feels like it's a direct challenge to noble knights and Arthurian chivalry and all that stuff.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It feels like it's a direct challenge to noble knights and Arthurian chivalry and all that stuff.

Yeah it’s been a while since I watched it (and like others here, I haven’t been in a hurry to rewatch it due to its pretty horrifying content*), but that’s basically my take as well. It’s a gross, grimy portrayal of what knights were actually like set against the apocalyptic backdrop of the black death. In the sense that some movies are revisionist westerns or revisionist samurai movies, it’s a revisionist knight film.

*though I will say, not uniquely horrifying for Verhoeven. Spetters, Hollow Man, Elle, Basic Instinct, Benedetta, and even Showgirls feature graphic scenes of rape and/or sexual torture. Showgirls is the one that I think arguably harms the movie the most, being that it’s otherwise a campy good time before an extremely violent and brutal rape comes out of nowhere, but I also think that was in part deliberate.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Makes it sound like its basically a European equivalent of Sword of Doom, the classic samurai film that starts with the hero murdering an old man for no reason and then gets worse from there.

I need to check it out.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Flesh and Blood was made partially as a reaction to the Wild Bunch. Not a negative one, it's just that Verhoeven was sad that the conflict and chase between Deke and Pike wasn't the focus, so he wrote a movie where it was.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Although Flesh+Blood is set over a century before the 30 Years War, it's one of the few movies that kinda captures the senseless violence and apocalyptic lunacy of that era.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

Makes it sound like its basically a European equivalent of Sword of Doom, the classic samurai film that starts with the hero murdering an old man for no reason and then gets worse from there.

I need to check it out.

I love the ending to Sword of Doom. I feel like it kinda implies that this is basically Nakadai's character's own personal hell, so it freeze-frames right as he's going for a final attack, as if to say that he'll be mindlessly swinging his sword at ghosts for eternity in the afterlife. He won't ever have peace, even in death.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

I love the ending to Sword of Doom. I feel like it kinda implies that this is basically Nakadai's character's own personal hell, so it freeze-frames right as he's going for a final attack, as if to say that he'll be mindlessly swinging his sword at ghosts for eternity in the afterlife. He won't ever have peace, even in death.

It was supposed to be a sequel hook (the novel its based on either doesn't end there or has a couple of sequels) but it's an absolutely perfect ending in its own right. One of those happy accidents.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I rewatched Nemesis and you guys were right. Nemesis 2 is charmingly crazy, but not a lot happens in it compared to the first one. The pacing of Nemesis is insane. The acting is delightfully awful and not 3 minutes goes by without somebody aiming a gun at someone. It is, as they say, a thrill ride.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

My read on this was always that the entire final confrontation, or at least most of it, is in his head.

This is a truly great and haunting samurai flick, for anyone that hasn’t seen it.

A bit difficult to watch, but a great film.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I always think of it with films like Onibaba and Twilight Samurai

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I enjoyed the action in Monkey Man but there definitely needed to be more of it. Also some of the characters felt very underdeveloped. All in all though it was a strong showing from Patel and I'm interested in seeing what he can do with more of a budget. One complaint I would have is that the image of Dev Patel wearing the white monkey mask with a suit is pretty cool and then he just throws it away after like half a scene.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The action in Monkey Man looked like poo poo aside from the last action sequence. The combination of extreme close ups, shallow focus, and shaky cam was really disorienting and unpleasant.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I enjoyed it but think the pacing seemed a little off. Great individual scenes and ideas that seemed clumsily strung together. When that style of action works, it works and feels really visceral but after a while it felt a bit samey. If he makes more of these I can see them getting better and better though.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
I really enjoyed Monkey Man. I like how Dev Patel is offered the gun that John Wick uses and chooses something smaller instead. He even starts taking care of a puppy, who I was glad to see make it out of the story unharmed. The weapon Patel seems to rely on more than a gun is his teeth which is fitting. Just biting people's noses off :stare:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I got the sense that the extreme shallow focus was a deliberate choice. It's mostly present in the fight scenes in the first half of the film, when he's fighting primarily out of a selfish desire for revenge. In the second half, after he's found community and explored his roots, the framing opens up.

Tbh the only part that I found difficult to follow was some of the cuts to first person during the chase sequence, I thought it was pretty well handled all over.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Re: Monkey Man it feels like an inbetween style comparing Wick-alike clear action choreography and Jason Bourne style shaky cam. I didn't mind it! I thought for the most part everything was clear. Other than being a bit overlong (theres a really tight 1:30 in there that'd probably just straight bang) it was really cool. I loved the dream like presentation through most of the movie. Dev has a really strong visual presentation going for him already so I will look forward to any future directorial projects from him!

Honestly my favorite part of the movie is just how good Dev looks that lanky motherfucker.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I'm following up from my post about Extreme Ops in the 'post after first seeing a movie' thread, because it's an action movie where they did pretty much everything wrong and it's weirdly fascinating.

So we have a movie with no actual protagonist, but instead several people who parcel out activities between them. Most of them are unlikeable douchebags, especially Producer Guy and Extreme Everything Guy. Wannabe Extreme Skier Lady and Quietly Professional German Guy are the only ones who come across as pleasant to be around, and only the former has any kind of emotional arc. Which is: "I want to be something more than just a gold medal-winning downhill skier" --> "I have gained the respect of the EXTREME people by risking my life for no reason! Woo!"

It's billed as an action thriller, but the plot - team making a commercial in the Alps accidentally find the hideout of a Serbian war criminal and hijinks ensue - doesn't kick in until the halfway point, and the action itself is held back until the last half-hour of a movie that's less than 90 minutes long. It's as if Die Hard followed McClane around the party for a full hour before Hans and co even arrive. What you get to make up for it are long sequences of people skiing and snowboarding to early 2000s techno. There's some nice mountain scenery, I'll admit, but as it goes on and on it feels like watching someone else play SSX. (There's a bit towards the end where after they jump from a cable car, we get almost a full minute of the main characters skiing. No danger, no stunts, just swooshing downhill until they reach the next setpiece.)

They have an interesting central location, a huge mountaintop hotel under construction... and barely use it. Some cat-and-mouse with the bad guys before getting back out onto the slopes? No, just have Extreme Singer Lady drop onto a goon and call it a day. (I realized while writing this that it's meant to be a callback to her intro when she tried to crowdsurf and ended up faceplanting, so I guess that was her entire arc.)

The bad guys are boring as hell, a bunch of bald Central European guys with lousy aim. The one vaguely interesting and openly threatening guy amongst then, the head villain's psycho son, isn't taken out by the main cast, but is shot by one of his own side in a Mexican standoff that happens for Some Reason. After falling, he gets a seemingly important closeup that makes you wonder if he's going to come back later like Karl in Die Hard, but no, he's just dead.

Remember how in Cliffhanger, it was fairly obvious when a scene switched from being shot on location to a studio because the lighting changed? And that was a mega-budget movie, while this wasn't, so a large part of the climax takes place in what looks like the cave set from Star Trek TNG.

Like I said above, the main cast have actions parcelled out between them. So Extreme Everything Guy beans someone in a helicopter with his snowboard. Devon Sawa Guy (for it is he) saves Extreme Singer Lady from falling, which somehow involves him pulling off her trousers to reveal her panties. Extreme Singer Lady fires a rocket, which you think is going to be Chekhov's Rocket because it was established earlier that they can be detonated remotely, but... is kinda forgotten about. And ultimately it's Quietly Professional German Guy, who has done the least to this point, who gets to blow up the chopper and kill all the bad guys.

The big irony is that the crew went to the Alps because they wanted to film someone outrunning an avalanche without using greenscreens and CGI. So of course the climax is someone outrunning an avalanche with very obvious greenscreens and CGI. And if there was only one camera being used to shoot the scene, how was Wannabe Extreme Skier Lady holding a camera in the final ad?

It's one of those films when you wonder "why was this made?" Then you look it up and find it was financed through a whole collection of international tax shelters, so it was basically a way to let some rich people pay less tax, and the claimed $40m budget was probably nowhere near that. Anyway, I've said far too much about a dumb third-rate xXx knockoff from 2003, but I had to get it off my chest.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
That's a shame because "extreme sports documentary stumbles across a Bond villain's remote lair" is a great concept for a movie.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

That's a shame because "extreme sports documentary stumbles across a Bond villain's remote lair" is a great concept for a movie.
It is, but I guess it's proof that "and the story writes itself!" is wishful thinking.

Edit: thanks to IMDb comments, I discovered this bit of lollery:

One year apart, and no, they're not the same movie. The X Team (aka The Extreme Team) also marked the screen debut of Chris Pratt!

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Apr 11, 2024

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

XXX ruled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/JustinCChang/status/1778365404999827775

Hyped for Twilight of the Warriors: Walled In. We got the director of SPL 2 (among many other things), Louis Koo, one of Johnnie To's frequent talented cinematographers, and of course Sammo.