Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Speaking of Dolph lundgren, the "have we gone through this all before?"speech, at the end of universal soldier regeneration shows that the man has got some pretty decent acting chops. I've really come to appreciate him a lot more, and I'm looking forward to the podcast with Adkins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Adkins' Art of Action with Dolph Lundgren is up, and I can't say it's particularly great.

The one with Cynthia Rothrock was excellent -- she has so much charm and enthusiasm and she's eager to enhance the fight scene commentary with her memory of the events leading up to and following, so you really feel like she's bringing something to the viewing of the movie (plus she hits like a motherfucker in her early Hong Kong days).

With Dolph, though, he's just so detached and laconic and really isn't a good storyteller, so he ends up just kind of repeating what Adkins is saying, with only minor variations. I wanted him to get really excited during some of the viewings, but even during the US:R and US:DOR segments, he's pretty much checked out.

Too bad. I really think Dolph in his movies is a charismatic slab of beef, who's really trying to do something with the role; Dolph in real life seems to be a quiet dude who isn't really good at telling stories. Sad to hear about his abusive Dad, though :(

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

This is either going to be insightful and surprising, or a cringe-fest, with Scott looking increasingly concerned as Seagal goes off the rails.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

dokmo posted:

Someone please watch the Seagal interview by Scott Adkins for me, I don't have the tolerance for cringy stuff anymore.

:emptyquote:

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

It all falls into place if you consider SMG's reading that the Terminators are incredibly shoddy.

I'm going to regret asking this, but do you have a link to that post

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

From the first film onward, Terminators have terrible, monochromatic, low-resolution tunnel-vision. They’re easily confused by excessive motion and ‘glitch out’ when, say, bopped on the head.

Their style of hand-to-hand combat, to the extent that they have one, involves lots of flailing and tossing-away because they get extremely confused when a target gets too close. They’re designed primarily to use guns at medium range, and they’re considerably worse than a human at that. They’re very slow at performing basic human actions like ‘aiming’, or ‘speaking’.

What Terminators are fairly good at is driving cars and synthesizing speech.

Why? Skynet is nothing but efficient -- why not make a better robot? It costs effectively nothing to make a perfect killer, once youve designed it, so why not just make a template and just churn them out?

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Unleashed / Danny the Dog needs to be in there as upper middle-tier Li

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

B-Rock452 posted:

So much better than Donnie Yen's. Although I do have a soft spot for The Replacement Killers which is I think Chow Yun-Fat's first american movie and it rules.

Whatever happened to Chow Yun-Fat? There was a time where he rode his Hong Kong fame into America, but it seemed to have swept him away, just as fast. Did he just give up and head back to HK? Leave showbiz, entirely?

And agreed -- Replacement Killers is pretty stylish for a B-movie. Apparently Mira Sorvino (sp?) was rotten to him, on set

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Narzack posted:

Holy crap, you guys should watch Redline on Netflix. It's wild. I'm not saying it's similar to Fury Road, but it's got that same sort of wide-eyed insanity where you kind of think that maybe a crazy person made this. It's a lot of fun.

Is this the entirely hand animated movie that took 10 years to make? or is this another case of a cool title being overloaded by more than one movie?

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I am disappointed. My boy, how could you do us dirty like this?

gently caress! Truly there are no more heroes.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

VROOM VROOM posted:

who wants to argue about what the cutest dog in an action movie is. John Wick is an obvious contender but I gotta hand it to Equilibrium

Does Sam in I Am Legend count? Not really an action movie (nor does it really know what genre it wants to be in, but :shrug: )

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

he keeps switching between english and hindi seemingly at random.

Somewhat off topic, but I've seen this before, in all places of a cooking video. The dude would just jump between Hindi and English phrases, without any seeming order to it. It. Maybe it's just something that happens with Hindi speakers?

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

B-Rock452 posted:

I have no idea why and I agree with all the criticisms but I love wrath of man and it's one of my favorite movies from the past few years by far. I really don't know why but I just think it rules. Is there something wrong with me?

Maybe? Maybe not? I really enjoyed it, as well, though I would be hard-pressed to say why. Statham is .. well, himself. But the supporting characters (and especially Statham's flunkies who are just so loving tired of killing everyone and anyone that might be tangentially involved) really did it for me.

I went into the movie with zero expectations and enjoyed it. I think we may share the same disease :smith:

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

I cannot get over how fuckin' *hard* they hit, back then. It's all just so tight, and so intense.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

dokmo posted:

Andrew Davis directed Under Siege and Above the Law, which I think are seagal's best performances. Which I guess isn't saying much.

You forgot Out For Limbs and/or Justice (which, admittedly, is held up by all the amazing ancillary performances)

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Mean Guns is terrible, but I can't stop watching it. It's like something I would have imagined when I was 16 and really into GURPS and cyberpunk.

EDIT: Man, even in the late 90s, Christoper Lambert looks *really* good in a trenchcoat, running across tables and shooting guns akimbo.

null_pointer fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 19, 2022

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

B-Rock452 posted:

I am kind of ashamed to admit but Wrath of Man is probably one of my top five movies that have come out in the past few years.

I wish I knew why Wrath of Man was so divisive. I don't think it was objectively great, by any means, but I really found myself engrossed in the world and thought the story and characters were compelling, despite its flaws.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Yo, don't sleep on this. Yeah, it's "exactly the same as the movie" but that's what makes it amazing.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Lily Catts posted:

watching The Prestige (I heard it was generally a good film) soon.

The Prestige was just wild, for me. When I finished it, I recognized that I had just seen an incredibly well made film, but I despised Bale and Jackman's character(s) and never wanted to watch it again.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Need to watch Cyborg cuz I love love Nemesis. Just charming. Could not watch Nemesis 2 though, got about 5 minutes in...

To this day, I refuse to believe that Albert Pyun made Nemesis 2. It's just so bad.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Gareth Edwards (Monsters, Godzilla, Rogue One, The Creator) is on the couch for Corridor Crew's Visual FX Artists React. Haven't watched it, yet, but this is a pretty big score for the guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWjayZ3U4TQ

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

Multiple great moments in this where they state how something was done only for Edwards to correct them because these guys never have a loving clue what they are talking about.

I kind of have the opposite opinion. They're actually really good for professional amateurs. There've been plenty of times on the couch where they've correctly guessed how something was done, and gotten compliments from the stuntman or the VFX artist. They're not batting a thousand, but they're doing a hell of a lot better than I could. Still, I'm sure professional VFX guys could tear them apart at multiple times. Not what I'm there for, though.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

A-Team is dope as gently caress, and 100% true to the essence of the show ...

... Too bad about Quentin Jackson's lack of acting ability. He really fit the part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I fell asleep at some point.

A ringing fuckin' endorsement :patriot:

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Out of the four leads they gave the big dramatic arc to... Quentin Jackson. That was an interesting choice. Lol.

During the scene in the diner, post prison bus escape, Jackson was trying to explain his conversion to non-violence and I could not loving understand 50 percent of what he was trying to say. I remember it as just marble-mouthed incomprehensibility on the level of Nolan's Bane.