Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Real life grown people spent time and money on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Sadly I feel like they are going to make far more money off it being terrible than if it were simply mediocre.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Pharohman777 posted:

The idea that this disaster of a film will somehow fight trump is the funniest thing about it.

http://freebeacon.com/politics/actor-insists-emoji-movie-fight-trump-young-people-adopt-progressive-values/

it's possible that TJ Miller, stand-up comedian, was not being entirely sincere when he said these things.

In fact, I don't think I've seen TJ Miller say anything sincerely in the entire time he's been famous.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

DC Murderverse posted:

it's possible that TJ Miller, stand-up comedian, was not being entirely sincere when he said these things.

In fact, I don't think I've seen TJ Miller say anything sincerely in the entire time he's been famous.

Also Mike Judge is an Alex Jones dude so I imagine no longer having to work under him would feel really good.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Inescapable Duck posted:

This movie is going to make an embarrassing amount of money.

What remains to be seen is who is embarrassed by it.

Anything over 0 would be embarrassing

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Pharohman777 posted:

The idea that this disaster of a film will somehow fight trump is the funniest thing about it.

http://freebeacon.com/politics/actor-insists-emoji-movie-fight-trump-young-people-adopt-progressive-values/

This would be better if the movie was being sincerely pushed as a counter-Trump movie, instead of a conservative rag blowing up some platitudes that Miller said in an interview with someone else.

Now I'm imagining the Emoji movie being promoted as being part of #TheResistance and I think that might come close to having justified its existence.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I dunno, it seems to me if I poo poo in my hand and say it's because I'm fighting Trump, it kinda devalues my cause.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think what's basically Twitter: The Movie isn't exactly anti-Trump in theme, given the guy basically Tweeted his way to the White House with aggressive nonsense that beat boring nonsense.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Das Boo posted:

I dunno, it seems to me if I poo poo in my hand and say it's because I'm fighting Trump, it kinda devalues my cause.
I agree; poo poo in your hand proudly and without justification.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Martman posted:

I agree; poo poo in your hand proudly and without justification.

drat straight! :patriot:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Das Boo posted:

Yeah so a multi million dollar corporate enterprise doing that would rule extremely hard.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Inescapable Duck posted:

I think what's basically Twitter: The Movie isn't exactly anti-Trump in theme, given the guy basically Tweeted his way to the White House with aggressive nonsense that beat boring nonsense.

BUT!, Trump has never issued a tweet using an emoji.

The film The Emoji Movie is crafted around a core juxtaposition between communication modes: the president's text-only composition v. the neopictograph emoji, also known as emoticon, also known as smilie, also known as smilie face.

On the surface this celebration (and, as a work of animation Occidental in origin, necessarily an infantilization) of a simpler and more primitive visual mode of idea conveyance could easily seem an appeal to both tradition and authority.

One who considers the film within that particular succession of interpretation would surely judge The Emoji Movie politically and culturally conservative.

But a viewer of The Emoji Movie armed with an understanding of emoji history and evolution's roots in the anti-authoritarian and youth dominated middle-early period of Internet Culture will know the film is actually (though not merely) liberal, and it is radical and revolutionary.

The Emoji Movie is clearly intended to serve as a proud, clear and defiant blasting bugle of muster sounded in these grim and uncertain hours of the Trumpian dawn.

This brave and bold film was fashioned in recruitment of a new army, an army of those unafraid to stand resolute, to march forward unceasing, to gather in its advance a greater and greater power, and eventually to stand before the gates of Trump's White House.

They will rattle the bars and tear at the stones and challenge any within that house come face them on the field.

And embroidered bright and high upon their battle standards and banners, a smiling turd

Rando fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 29, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I feel like that post killed more of my brain cells than any amount of alcohol could.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Definitely the correct reading!

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I thought it was important someone correct the record and respond to any who doubt the work's purpose and effectiveness as a powerful example of art's role in political commentary and cultural criticism

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
The extent of The Emoji Movie's feminism is the girl Emoji complaining that in the original set of Emoji, the only female Emoji was the princess Emoji.

The protagonist Emoji then says it's ok to be whatever Emoji you are.

That ends the subplot.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
no war but the class war, sorry emoji princess.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I wonder if the fact that emoji are Unicode characters and therefore everyone is free to use them is why this was made. If you're going to make a soulless mid-budget animated movie based on whatever is popular why not choose a source that won't actually cost anything?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Hey yeah if I buy a generic poop emoji pillow is some rear end in a top hat at Sony getting paid extra

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Guy Mann posted:

I wonder if the fact that emoji are Unicode characters and therefore everyone is free to use them is why this was made. If you're going to make a soulless mid-budget animated movie based on whatever is popular why not choose a source that won't actually cost anything?

🤔 ...
😲 !
💩 = 💲!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Always remember Picard is the British equivalent of a hillbilly.

Please explain this poo poo.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is it safe to say that this is worse than Foodfight? Foodfight was at least fascinating in its awfulness while this had no redeeming qualities at all.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

Guy Mann posted:

Initial reports back from when the idea was being pitched (and eventually sold for $1m+) was that because emojis aren't trademarked and are widely available, studios wouldn't have to shell out any $$ for the rights, making the concept more directly viable for studios.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is it safe to say that this is worse than Foodfight? Foodfight was at least fascinating in its awfulness while this had no redeeming qualities at all.

As The Emoji Movie Watcher, this is exactly how I feel about the respective films.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Calaveron posted:

Hey yeah if I buy a generic poop emoji pillow is some rear end in a top hat at Sony getting paid extra

You can copyright specific illustrations of emojis (which is why every operating system and device has its own set) but the emojis themselves aren't owned by anyone and are free to use. Which is precisely why so much crap just has it slapped on it now, it's a popular set of designs with zero licensing cost.

So if you buy a beanbag chair of a coiled piece of poop with googly eyes and a smilie face then Sony doesn't make a dime unless it officially licensed and based off of their particular version of the poop.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

So, apparently, The Emoji Movie was made instead of Genndy Tartakovsky's Popeye movie over at Sony Animation.

Methinks someone made a poor judgement call.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Those were basically my thoughts when I saw a clip of the first 2 or 3 minutes of the film. At some point I literally said to myself "This is Foodfight, they made a big budget Foodfight.". The horror, the horror.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Egbert Souse posted:

So, apparently, The Emoji Movie was made instead of Genndy Tartakovsky's Popeye movie over at Sony Animation.

Methinks someone made a poor judgement call.

Tartakovsky left the project due to creative differences with Sony, had they gone through with Popeye we still would have gotten a terrible movie only it would be based on something that probably hasn't even been broadcast on TV in this millennium.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Steve2911 posted:

He's from the North, and likes dune buggies and dirty jokes.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

He's from Yorkshire which is basically the British equivalent of West Virginia.

or maybe it's the other way around.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
There's plenty of TNG behind-the-scenes stories about Stewart wanting stuff that was the opposite of stoic Picard.

Late edit: I have no interest in seeing this, but man, it warrants its humor-based existence by how mad people get about it, and I can't fathom why.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 30, 2017

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
:nexus:

quote:

SATURDAY AM UPDATE: With an estimated $10 million on Friday, Sony's The Emoji Movie is going to be in a tight race with WB's Dunkirk for #1 at the weekend box office. Dunkirk landed an estimated $8 million on its second Friday in release and both films are looking to gross over $27 million for the weekend. It will largely come down to how Emoji plays over the weekend as opening day audiences gave the film a "B" CinemaScore, though kids under the age of 18 gave it an "A-".

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

He's from around Yorkshire, much like Brian Blessed. They've both got the same fantastic, cultivated, gravitas filled British actor accents, and both of them love dick jokes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

All British people like dick jokes.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Guy Mann posted:

Also Mike Judge is an Alex Jones dude so I imagine no longer having to work under him would feel really good.

what the gently caress. this is worse than Beck being a Scientologist

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Actually, despite what his British accent might erroneously lead you to believe, captain Picard is in actuality French. In the second episode ("Families) of the fourth season of Star Trek: The Next Generation he visits his family's vineyard in La Barre, France, which is also revealed to be the captain's place of birth. The captain also speaks fluent French in the fifteenth episode "11001001" of the first season.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

itsnice2bnice posted:

Actually, despite what his British accent might erroneously lead you to believe, captain Picard is in actuality French. In the second episode ("Families) of the fourth season of Star Trek: The Next Generation he visits his family's vineyard in La Barre, France, which is also revealed to be the captain's place of birth. The captain also speaks fluent French in the fifteenth episode "11001001" of the first season.

He's also called Jean-Luc.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Agreed, I think that conclusively settles the matter.

With regards to the subject of this thread's topic, I was quite dissapointed in this movie's distinct lack of the “Raised Hand With Part Between Middle and Ring Fingers” emoji.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

WeAreTheRomans posted:

what the gently caress. this is worse than Beck being a Scientologist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR8QIi4xTWg

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

thats just an austin thing, dont read too much into it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc