Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

fez_machine posted:

A Journey of Black and Red

One thing about this: the early chapters are way darker than the rest of the work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Tagichatn posted:

Speaking of isekai weebs, Warby Picus of Slumrat Rising fame has a new web serial called Weeaboo's Unfortunate Isekai: The Necromancer's Gacha. It's a fun break from Slumrat and is exactly what it sounds like: a weeaboo gets isekai'd into a game except it's an idler gacha and they don't get to spend any real money. Supposedly it's more lighthearted than Slumrat but that's a low bar to clear.

I gave it a read. Yep, that's certainly a story about a colossal weeb and his gacha girls, lol. I followed it, for now.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

If you don't mind me asking, how'd you get this one onto your kindle? I've never found a good way to do that with the stories on their own website (I think it's wordpress?).

Anyways, I hope you report back with your thoughts as you read stuff; there's stuff I loved and stuff I dropped on your list. Though you've got TWI, so it might be years before you finish.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Bremen posted:

If you don't mind me asking, how'd you get this one onto your kindle? I've never found a good way to do that with the stories on their own website (I think it's wordpress?).

Same method I used for Hitherby Dragons.

I hand customised the web to epub browser extension. For most major webnovels with a wordpress page you don't have to put any effort as they're already in the database (except maybe making sure that they don't pick up fan art images) but IntoThe Mire is obscure.

You have to start at the table of contents url, rename all the false and empty fields, and if the table of contents points to any 404ed pages (like Into The Mire does for Chapters 46 and 47) change the url to right address under the Edit Chapter URL button. It's important to note that web to epub will still generate an epub if it hits a 404 but terminates at the error (sometimes it generates an error message sometimes it doesn't) and the Edit URL tool is kind of finicky and janky so always double check.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 1, 2024

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
SupSup 144 Knights truly don't gently caress around.

So Zebridee can cast spells but she'd possibly get in trouble if she did? And it would be rude to call her a wizard. I wonder if she's someone further along on the path Joe and Kibby s dad wanted for Kibby. She has the potential to be a wizard but she would have been at the bottom of heap. So instead she's at the top of the non-wizard class.

I'm very interested in what fragilities of Earth are worrying the knight. My gut is that it's the political situation. Matadaro, as far as we know, was never in any danger whatsoever. But one terrorist attack threatened to kill most/all of the avowed due to the super apartheid.

Then again, maybe it's something else. We still don't know what the gently caress is up with the weird Sway who did the attack. Wonder if he survived the aftermath.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Wittgen posted:

SupSup 144 Knights truly don't gently caress around.

So Zebridee can cast spells but she'd possibly get in trouble if she did? And it would be rude to call her a wizard. I wonder if she's someone further along on the path Joe and Kibby s dad wanted for Kibby. She has the potential to be a wizard but she would have been at the bottom of heap. So instead she's at the top of the non-wizard class.

I'm very interested in what fragilities of Earth are worrying the knight. My gut is that it's the political situation. Matadaro, as far as we know, was never in any danger whatsoever. But one terrorist attack threatened to kill most/all of the avowed due to the super apartheid.

Then again, maybe it's something else. We still don't know what the gently caress is up with the weird Sway who did the attack. Wonder if he survived the aftermath.

(SupSup 144) A popular theory on the Discord is that Zeridee is an aspiring knight candidate who dropped out and/or the child of a knight. Mostly because of how she talked about Alden being important because of his relationships with knights and the knight's comments that "it would be rude to (call her a wizard)" and that she was the relative of a friend.

I assumed at the time that the comment about fragilities were because Earth's system panicked about a chaos attack and basically stuck its head in the sand, but your comment about how it might make the Artonans unhappy with the Anesidora situation would be interesting too. We've been getting comments about how people feel about having all the avowed exiled to their tiny island that read a lot like foreshadowing.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 1, 2024

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Bremen posted:

(SupSup 144) A popular theory on the Discord is that Zeridee is an aspiring knight candidate who dropped out and/or the child of a knight. Mostly because of how she talked about Alden being important because of his relationships with knights and the knight's comments that "it would be rude to (call her a wizard)" and that she was the relative of a friend.

Supsup 144

Yeah, her being a knight or wizard drop out. She could have terrible authority control like Kibby so can't be a real wizard and isn't willing to undergo the "binding" of a knighthood. Either that or it's just that non-wizards aren't supposed to do magic, so her doing any would be... problematic and Esh-erdi was just going to pretend it didn't happen if she had to use something to survive.

Non-wizard Artonans are also lower in the social hierarchy than avowed. So Zeridee killing some avowed in self-defense may have been problematic for other reasons too. Though Alden's presence there and defense of her probably solves that issue.

Bremen posted:

I assumed at the time that the comment about fragilities were because Earth's system panicked about a chaos attack and basically stuck its head in the sand, but your comment about how it might make the Artonans unhappy with the Anesidora situation would be interesting too. We've been getting comments about how people feel about having all the avowed exiled to their tiny island that read a lot like foreshadowing.

I agree Esh-erdi was probably talking about the Earth System's underwhelming performance in this crisis. He was saying that in response to a question about whether the Earth System in danger of failing. And at least two Artonans (the ambassador and Zeridee) have expressed exasperation at how poorly the System has been communicating.

It does actually sound like it was Zeridee's authority cry for help that drew them to the area, and not Alden's. Which kind of surprises me.

I really like Esh-erdi. He's been a devious little prankster every time he's showed up so far.

quote:

“Let’s send a message to all of the unbound here on Earth and demand that the person sending out random hellos confess,” he suggested. “The mystery will be solved in moments.”

quote:

“Are you going to <<bully>> a human child with the names of every living art’h, Zeridee-und’h?

quote:

“That’s boring,” said the knight in a disappointed tone. “When I tell her about your mistake, I will say you thought she’d seen the end of her first century.”

quote:

“You did enjoy your swim, didn’t you?”

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 1, 2024

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Just as a warning you cut the spoiler tagging out of one of my quotes in your post.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Nitrousoxide, you missed a spoiler tag in one of your quoted sections.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
SS patreon yeah the earth contract is going to cause incredible turmoil in anesidora with how many avowed it basically told "go find a hole to die in" like with emilija

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Bremen posted:

Just as a warning you cut the spoiler tagging out of one of my quotes in your post.

Wittgen posted:

Nitrousoxide, you missed a spoiler tag in one of your quoted sections.

ah, thanks for the heads up.

TheMaskedReader
Aug 14, 2022

fez_machine posted:

Lord of Mysteries (I thought I should read at least one mega long Chinese web novel)
If you would like another mega long chinese web novel(with a clunky translation), try My House of Horrors. I enjoyed it, maybe you would, too.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
If you're interested in the history of English-language web serials, you really do have to read at least one super-long Chinese one, yeah. A lot of the later generation of English works is very much influenced by and in conversation with those Chinese xianxia and xuanhuan series.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Reverend Insanity is surely quite a large influence if you want Chinese xianxia and all of its trappings and foibles. Note: this is not me saying I think Reverend Insanity is good.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 1, 2024

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

TheMaskedReader posted:

If you would like another mega long chinese web novel(with a clunky translation), try My House of Horrors. I enjoyed it, maybe you would, too.

I did enjoy that one. The translation was very questionable, though. I thought China came down hard on anything with supernatural elements in it halfway through writing.

Is it still around somewhere?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Katelepsis 22.3

quote:

We wanted to hiss, to screech, to unfold and unfurl until we were large enough to pull reality down upon the human mind, until we might see my parents as nothing but ugly lumps of living meat twisted into glugging chemical factories, and force them to look upon the shameless and incandescent truth.

But we didn’t.

Because then we would have been there all night.

Holy moley Healther! You really need to take a few steps back from the edge there!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

A big flaming stink posted:

SS patreon yeah the earth contract is going to cause incredible turmoil in anesidora with how many avowed it basically told "go find a hole to die in" like with emilija

More soup Patreon:
We don't know how many people actually died, so it's possible that besides the messaging the evacuation was actually pretty good... except of the known innocent victims in town (murder-happy looters getting throatpunched don't count) 1 out of 2 was a regular person visiting; that's going to raise some ugly questions about priorities. And, as you all said, people like Emilija, if she is fine, are going to wonder why they are even there, making it harder to get people to move... while the home countries become even more interested in keeping the magic mess as far away from them as possible.... though also if you're, say, the President of the US, you also have to wonder what would happen if the attack was on, say, the Statue of Liberty and not Matadero.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer
SS patreon 'frailties' thoughts: Obviously there's going to be some kind of political shakeup, if only from the fallout of the device being let loose/lost track of by the Velras. I just wonder how bad it's going to get. This many people dying and getting injured in and around their only set of wizard schools, and not due to an unpreventable accident (e.g. unexpected chaos outbreak)? I feel like this might be about the time when the entire colonial government structure gets booted out, and their replacements heavily supervised by disapproving Artonans.

Also feel like I need to reread the chapters where the sinker sender got triggered because I feel vague on exactly what happened. I can't remember if it was all 'horrible accident' or 'horrible accident started off by sabotage'.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Holy poo poo

https://www.reddit.com/r/bookbinding/comments/1btrk58/super_supportive_quarter_bind_with_recessed_cloth/

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wittgen posted:

SupSup 144
I'm very interested in what fragilities of Earth are worrying the knight. My gut is that it's the political situation.

This was also my read on things. Most comments were guessing something related to Matadero or Earth's System, but that doesn't seem to make any sense. The specific cause of this whole event was political. And I trust the Earth System and Artonans to have a decent grasp of the magical stuff, while I obviously do not expect them to have a good understanding of Earth politics (and we've already been told that human Avowed-related social dynamics are unique and generally considered strange by the Artonans, so it makes sense that they would have underestimated the potential harm from inter-Avowed conflict on Earth).

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Related to SupSup 144 discussion but not direct spoilers.

I think part of it is that humans are unusual in already being a global industrialised society before the Artonians uplifted them.

We know that Earth is seen as a "paradise" posting but St`uart and that the Grevecks were still in their hunter-gatherer stage when the Artonians uplifted them. Given we know the climate of Mother III is more tropical and humid than you get on earth and Anesidora is cold, wet, and miserable, it's not the climate that makes it a cushy posting. I'd argue that its because it's got alot of the trappings of civilisation Artonians expect instead.

This familiarity leads to Artonian blindness in other ways, especially early on when Earth's system was first constructed.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Related to SupSup 144 discussion but not direct spoilers.

I think part of it is that humans are unusual in already being a global industrialised society before the Artonians uplifted them.

We know that Earth is seen as a "paradise" posting but St`uart and that the Grevecks were still in their hunter-gatherer stage when the Artonians uplifted them. Given we know the climate of Mother III is more tropical and humid than you get on earth and Anesidora is cold, wet, and miserable, it's not the climate that makes it a cushy posting. I'd argue that its because it's got alot of the trappings of civilisation Artonians expect instead.

This familiarity leads to Artonian blindness in other ways, especially early on when Earth's system was first constructed.

I don't think that's right. We have had Artonans comment on how it's odd humans don't even have automated vehicles, so I don't think it's a matter of amenities.

I think it's a matter of chaos vs stability. There's a lot pointing to Earth being low chaos. Gorgon refers to it as a vacation world and also says what happened on Thegund was a light chaos breeze. Artona 1 has demonic incursions on the regular, while Earth has one controlled incursion a year. The knight observing the demon fight said the thing was drawn by the richness of Earth's reality.

My read from all this is Earth is appealing because it's been barely any time at all since the Artonans showed up and started making GBS threads it up with the negative externalities of magic use.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Given that I prefer to only read finished works -- what's the deal with Into the Mire? It looks like it just kind of stops halfway through book 2; is it worth reading book 1 on its own, with the understanding that it'll never get a completed sequel?

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

when Book 1 ended I honestly thought that was the end of the story, for a while. It's got one weighty conclusion, as far as web serials go

it wasn't until Book 2 started that I realized it wasn't meant to be so finite. I'm still confused by the decision, but you can treat it as an epilogue I guess. it's just table-setting for the next arc, some worldbuilding

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Yeah Book one is a perfectly reasonable end to the story. Book 2 certainly doesn't end in a satisfying place, but the first book is a complete story in itself.

TheMaskedReader
Aug 14, 2022

LLSix posted:

I did enjoy that one. The translation was very questionable, though. I thought China came down hard on anything with supernatural elements in it halfway through writing.

Is it still around somewhere?
You can find translations online pretty easily, and the author has another, similar (? - Haven’t read much of it) but different story currently being translated, called My Iyashikei Game.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
does rr have an ads page? I use the awful app these days, but I assume sa still has that page showing you all the currently-running banner ads.

ads get a lot more interesting the moment I swipe to close the tab and it'd be nice to be able to track down the one I saw that caught my eye and immediately left my conscious memory

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

SupSup RR: So the flashlight not working on machine-made mass produced parts is a statement that mass produced things are literally soulless, isn't it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Well I've caught up with Katalepsis's RR chapters.

Some overall thoughts about the last quarter of the story or so.

Edward getting dragged off to be digested for all eternity as he was at the precipice of his immortality is a fitting end for him. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

I really enjoy Jan and her whole awareness that she's the protagonist of her own story that she's refusing to engage in. Her metatextual awareness of Heather falling into fiction tropes gets a chuckle out of me each time. Plus Seven's sister going googoogaga over her as soon as she sees the doomed hero was a great gag.

I do hope we continue to see her once Heather's sister is saved or confirmed to be unsalvageable. She's probably my second favorite supporting character after Praem. Though I don't really see any hooks for further story beyond Heather's sister's resolution, so maybe it'll end then.

I had hoped that I'd timed my read to finish up with the conclusion of the eye, but looks like not! I've enjoyed the different personalities of the main cast in Cygnet to spice things up. I was pretty stoked for Night Praem to become something more than a running gag.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
soupsupp pat ch 145 is a great example of Sleyca's signature style. Funny and quietly churning with anxiety. Just the mc wandering through an entire pre-rendered backgrounds era adventure game's worth of empty hallways.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Well I've caught up with Katalepsis's RR chapters.

Some overall thoughts about the last quarter of the story or so.

Edward getting dragged off to be digested for all eternity as he was at the precipice of his immortality is a fitting end for him. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

I really enjoy Jan and her whole awareness that she's the protagonist of her own story that she's refusing to engage in. Her metatextual awareness of Heather falling into fiction tropes gets a chuckle out of me each time. Plus Seven's sister going googoogaga over her as soon as she sees the doomed hero was a great gag.

I do hope we continue to see her once Heather's sister is saved or confirmed to be unsalvageable. She's probably my second favorite supporting character after Praem. Though I don't really see any hooks for further story beyond Heather's sister's resolution, so maybe it'll end then.

I had hoped that I'd timed my read to finish up with the conclusion of the eye, but looks like not! I've enjoyed the different personalities of the main cast in Cygnet to spice things up. I was pretty stoked for Night Praem to become something more than a running gag.

Hey, thanks, really glad you've been enjoying the story.

Jan is very likely one of the several POV characters I have lined up a for full story of her own in Book Two.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Awesome! I forget if i got around to it but i meant to post that i want a story where we're riding along with Jan.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Hungry posted:

Hey, thanks, really glad you've been enjoying the story.

Jan is very likely one of the several POV characters I have lined up a for full story of her own in Book Two.

Ah! Glad to hear it!. I really enjoy your work, so I'm looking forward to whatever you have planned when book 1 is finished.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I've been rereading the web serial (comic) Order of the Stick. Anyone got suggestions for similarly lighthearted fun stories?

Can you believe the first page was posted way back in 2003?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

LLSix posted:

I've been rereading the web serial (comic) Order of the Stick. Anyone got suggestions for similarly lighthearted fun stories?

(instantly crumbles into dust)

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

LLSix posted:

This Quest is Broken! has similar vibes. Lady gets a quest to get bread from the bakery, universe conspires to stop her.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Sibling of TB posted:

Awesome! I forget if i got around to it but i meant to post that i want a story where we're riding along with Jan.

Jan as a protagonist is gonna be real weird because she really does not want to be involved in any of this.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Ah! Glad to hear it!. I really enjoy your work, so I'm looking forward to whatever you have planned when book 1 is finished.

Thank you! I also write Necroepilogos as well, though that's quite different in tone.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Haystack posted:

This Quest is Broken! has similar vibes. Lady gets a quest to get bread from the bakery, universe conspires to stop her.

Oh, they changed the title? :allears: (The previous title was "This Quest is Bullshit", which I admit caught my attention more than the current title would)

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

atrus50 posted:

soupsupp pat ch 145 is a great example of Sleyca's signature style. Funny and quietly churning with anxiety. Just the mc wandering through an entire pre-rendered backgrounds era adventure game's worth of empty hallways.

(SupSup 145) Usually I enjoy the story's pace, but honestly, this chapter could have and should have been a couple of paragraphs at the top of an actual chapter. What's the takeaway, that Matadero is almost empty and Alden is in a bad mental place? This chapter was just... hollow. Not much there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Argue posted:

Oh, they changed the title? :allears: (The previous title was "This Quest is Bullshit", which I admit caught my attention more than the current title would)

It's still Bullshit on RR, they just changed the name for the Amazon release.