Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
So the main direction of Ward is that powers really mess you up and all capes are broken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I think I need to reread the Glow-Worm section again now that I have some context from Ward.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

I don't get it at all

I just thought everyone was referring to the fact that it was 02-02-2020 but i didn't get the joke.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I really feel like Wildbow shouldn't have written a story about trauma and recovery if he thinks that "Just kill yourself, everyone will be better off without you." is a good note to end on.

I was going to ask which story you are talking about, then i realized both pact and worm and possibly twig end like that.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

I lost my place in thread 2 and the format (being posts in a megathread) is pretty horrendous that I don't want to go back and figure out where I was. Is there a repost anywhere or an ebook or osmehting?

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I've reached a stage of my life where I feel like starting to read the wandering inn. So thanks for the link, hope i can catch up in 20 or so years.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Tagichatn posted:

Welp, got caught up with all my web serials. Time to start the wandering inn, wish me luck.

The advice i got when i started in March and i say to you is there will be plotholes, don't worry about them too much.

(Things like a character says something, then early in the next chapter the same character reacts with surprise to that same bit of information.)

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Twi: I want to read more about Luan the giant and the microprocessor revolution, and Kevin with the goblins.

Sibling of TB fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 27, 2021

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

One thing that bugs me when it shows up in writing is when someone says "I nervously bit my lip until it bled." I don't know if my lips are just made differently than other people's, but lips are very sensitive and it hurts like hell to actually bite them (much less hard enough to bleed). It's not like biting a piece of beef jerky or something.

I think your lips are different from mine at least. I have often done that.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Caught up to katalepsis. Sad that I'm out of words to eat. But just to be clear, Heather's doing the thing she's doing now because she wants a glass of water and something to eat?

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Any isekai thing where the normal earthling ends up in a high technology cyperpunk world instead of a fantasy trope world, and can't get by with their outsider knowledge of "I come from a world with 8 billion humans and nuclear weapons and here is the knowledge of gunpowder" and instead uses knowledge of things like nature or ethics or whatever to break the system?

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Thanks for the recommendations! Yeah Outcast definitely has that feel to it where the earthling isn't actually able to do the whole Yankee in King Arthur's Court thing, earth knowledge is interesting but uselss but that may be because they've been in 100% survival and crisis mode the whole story so far. I didn't even think of things like Empress of Forever. On that vein the bobiverse series would count.

quote:

Bob Johansson has just sold his software company and is looking forward to a life of leisure. There are places to go, books to read, and movies to watch. So it's a little unfair when he gets himself killed crossing the street.

Bob wakes up a century later to find that corpsicles have been declared to be without rights, and he is now the property of the state. He has been uploaded into computer hardware and is slated to be the controlling AI in an interstellar probe looking for habitable planets. The stakes are high: no less than the first claim to entire worlds. If he declines the honor, he'll be switched off, and they'll try again with someone else. If he accepts, he becomes a prime target. There are at least three other countries trying to get their own probes launched first, and they play dirty.

The safest place for Bob is in space, heading away from Earth at top speed. Or so he thinks. Because the universe is full of nasties, and trespassers make them mad - very mad. (less)

Hotshot software developer reincarnates as a von Neuman probe and is tasked with saving the human race. Was fun but kept hinting at then not exploring several interesting narrative directions and kind of wasted the potential.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

catgirlgenius posted:

I AM misrepresenting it just a tad. It is only about 5% earnest horror per pound, give or take. The author is as good at horror as they are at portraying the close emotional bonds that are part and parcel of writing what is basically "the Fellowship of the Ring traveling through Qud".

But horror is punchier.

dangit I forgot the link. this concludes my lovesick advertisement

I wish you would write a few sentences instead of quoting pages and pages.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I stopped in early 2021 when it came back from break because the chapters are relatively short and the next chapter button doesn't exist at the bottom of the chapter in reader view. Just too much of a pain to read for what it was doing.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I've been reading The Wandering Inn by browser reader mode this whole time so I've been missing skill colors. Always wondered what the characters were talking about when they mentioned them.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

I just read the entirety of Worm in 3 days and i think i may have burned out my retinas in the process. It's just so long.

And yet the first real thought I have about it is that some parts of it could have used some fleshing out or more time to breathe.

Yikes! I read it over a couple of weeks while alone over a winter break, basically 13 hours a day. You read faster than i did.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Just got to say. I'm a 33 year old father of 3 and my biggest concern for awhile was whether Heather we doing right by Zheng.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Wait. Is wandering inn ending book 8 or is it ending period?

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
The first few cradle books really emphasized for me how utterly lovely and like an endless prison gang war that cultivator worlds are.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Every chapter has everyone going "Wow this is really nice" which I honestly kind of want to keep going and not be a setup for dramatic irony later.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Peachfart posted:

I'm not trying to be rude here... But what is the attraction of that to a reader? 'Everything is miserable and is getting worse' sounds exhausting to read imo.

Haha it was. I kept wanting them to have a break and explorer their available powers and abilities, but it is not the progression fantasy i apparently want everything to be.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Oh, that's outcast patrion, very spoiler.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Oh, TWI latest public chapter finally dropped.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I've gotten into a nice thing where I'm following enough series that I don't really notice too much when one stops updating for awhile, I'll get a notification when the next one pops up and unless its been a year it shouldn't be too hard to jump back in.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Up to arkendarthist 39 and am getting Commonweal mighty and power vibes. Digging the story, Definitely took me like 15 before I actually got into it for its own thing.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
So is Elaine 20 something, or 40 something, or 24,000 something years old?

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
BTDEM public chapter 384 question. Are we the reader supposed to know who Flora is from ancient Remus at this point? I'm blanking on the details if this was a character we saw in that part of the story or not. I mean, if not then we'll find out later I suppose.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Hey, PoorWeather, you write The Flower That Bloomed Nowhere, right? I finally got around to reading it and it rules!

I'd put it off for years, because I'd taken it into my head, based on the title and the cover art and maybe some things that got posted in here, that it was going to be some sort of floraverse type thing that I'd enjoy but need a lot of emotional and/or mental bandwidth to process. So I kept seeing it around and being like, yeah I'll read that... later.

But it's actually, like, Gideon the Ninth by way of Ra, and eminently readable.

Well gently caress! Into the active queue it goes.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Sounds like they're working on patching the existing ebook with the new version.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
It's there any way to read gravesong yet that's not yonder? Was totally prepared to pay Amazon prices then yonder.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I like reading things but I usually don't have much to discuss about them.

I mean, now I'm going through the Flower that Bloomed Nowhere and it's a really slow grind but it's starting to kick in with the really deep cosmic horror vibe so I'm sticking with it.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I guess my thing with The Wandering Inn is I'm a very non critical reader and I'm pretty satisfied with whatever plot or characters get the chapter. Was totally fine with endless Beach chapters also though.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Oh man. At 82 of the flower that bloomed nowhere and have so many questions. So does everyone have memories of the before times (because everyone is a temporal copy of the 10,000 real humans that survived the collapse in stasis) or is it only arcanists (because they have a grafted soul from one of the trillions of pre collapse humans that were collected by the iron workers at the end of reality)? How many generations ago did the ironworkers start making new people from old people? It's like the collapse and the start of this reality is still in living memory but how much of that is direct firsthand experience and how much of that is bleed through from all this body and soul sharing going on? I'm really digging how everyone is living a really messed up existence but nobody really thinks that because people are concerned with their direct situation like people are. Yeah it's coming together and becoming something very chewy at this point.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Difference between reading to get a story and reading to inhabit a world?

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Finally finished First Contact and oh no, the story continues in dark ages. More reading.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Seven brides for seven heathers.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I have Katalepsis and The Flower That Bloomed Nowhere on temporary hold while I read Exordia.

Beneath the Dragon Eye Moons, Beware of Chicken, and Ar'Kendrithyst are my "stop and read this today" ones. TWI when it starts back up definitely that too.

I have Memoirs of your local Small-time Villainess, TOOU, and Outcast In Another World open in inactive tabs that I intend on coming back to someday (unless outcast book 6 goes to KU before I start it)

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Man web serials ruined me for books. Finished Exordia and I'm like "yeah i want what's next!" But the book was finished in 2017 and not actually published until last week, the speed and economics of actual book publishing means it's going to be between a decade and forever to read more of the story.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I mean, yeah I'll be disappointed to only get 1 day a week instead of 2 because it's a highlight for me. But this is definitely a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Supsup public chapters includes notes about a whole series of cliffhangers coming but like is it really a cliffhanger if I don't care about the subplot having the cliffhanger?

"Oh these characters I don't know are in trouble? That's nice dear."