Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Gentlemen

Let us give thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Along with the synopsis of the script, that also gave us this blog post. This appears to be the only post made on the blog back in 2012, so I'm not sure who made it or why, but it's probably the first public glimpse of Lani Sarem. Just in case it gets taken down for whatever reason:

quote:

100 Monkeys are no more.

Surprising, right?

Not really. You see, this almost happened once before, during the 100 Cities tour. The boys were exhausted and playing more dates than they should have in a row and tempers got heated. The band were close to breaking point and good old Marty was running around doing all he could.

It’s safe to say that first and foremost before they were 100 Monkeys, the entertainers, G, J, Uncle, Jackson and Jerad were friends. They stuck together through thick and thin, along with Marty and Scott, things were pretty sweet and peachy. But, once the tour finished and new managers came along, things because stricter, more organized. Some said this was good, some said it was too much for the boys. But, they powered through until someone better came along. Forget Creamer. Forget Tim. This was the era of Lani Sarem.

One thing you should know is that 100 Monkeys did NOT want to be managed by a female, never the less, one who acted like she was their best friend. Lani went above and beyond her job, and in the beginning she was useful. She helped establish the fan club again after the band left it to run into the ground. She out put a new person in charge of the street team (more on her later) and pretty much shook the band back on to an even keel. Things looked good.

However, a few months down the line, Marty quit. Strange, huh? He was gone and who stepped up to take his place? Lani. Now, let’s not forget that Marty had been there since the beginning. He’d stuck by those boys through changes in manager, he’d been pushed aside and called a tour manager in favor of Tim who was less than adequate. And it seemed he’d had enough.

So, alongside Lani is Mary Kallhoff, the person who now bullies and alienates fans by blocking them from the street team Facebook page, after calling it ‘her’ page. I’m sorry, sister, but since when did YOU own the street team or the right to the 100 Monkeys name/brand? I’m guessing never. Mary was left with the bulk of the work after Adrienne, the previous street team director hosed up royally. However, power doesn’t give you the right to treat fans like she has. Clearly, it’s gone to her head. Being in Lani’s back pocket does that to you, I suppose.

The discord set in with the band when Lani became too much. As you can all see, Lani controls pretty much all of their poo poo. Their Facebook, their twitter. NONE of what you saw was Jackson, Jerad, Ben, Ben or Uncle. It was her. The overuse of smiley faces gave that poo poo away.

Here’s the ugly truth: Jackson did not like Lani. After the personal developments in his life, which created animosity between the band, the end was coming. Jackson quit the band after Lani was not fired. Let’s be truthful, y’all. Jackson is the star of that band. He is the one who pulls the crowds in. Jerad is the personality of the band, he gets the fans going with his caring and friendly attitude. Uncle is Uncle. He’s the Gentleman of Jazz.

So, when you are quick to blame Jackson, take a step back and realize this: 100 Monkeys did not break up because Jackson wanted out. They broke up because of poor management and people who did not know their place. They broke up because lines were blurred and people thought they had more power than they really did.

Now what’s left of the shell of 100 Monkeys? Two less than enthusiastic, burnt out friends and two guys from god knows where wrapped up in a pink, pathetic excuse for a band. So the real casualty is this: those five men lost people that were like family. They lost their friendships, their bonds. And they are NOT to blame.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
My favorite revelation from that blog post is that she wrote in several nude scenes for herself

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah though I can't say I'm actually surprised about it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point I want the movie to get made because this sounds Tommy Wiseau as gently caress

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

At this point I want the movie to get made because this sounds Tommy Wiseau as gently caress

I think we can all do without a gratuitous shot of Lani exposing her rear end to the camera while walking to the bathroom.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

My favorite revelation from that blog post is that she wrote in several nude scenes for herself

And that there's characters commentating on her/her character's sexiness to the point of sexual harassment. I know this was written years ago, but it hasn't aged well.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

God, isn't there a project for star wars where fans recreate 60 seconds of a scene and then it's all stitched together? Goon Project: Handbook number four Mortals where we recreate each scene. What a glorious mess that would be!

...I guess barbie dolls can be used for the nude scenes. For everyone's sanity.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What sanity?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

value-brand cereal posted:

...I guess barbie dolls can be used for the nude scenes. For everyone's sanity.

Use Barbie dolls for every scene.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

just a little thread necromancy to point out The Hate U Give has a movie adaptation out next week

let the wonderful cosmic justice of that wash over you

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does Rookie of the Year still promote this?

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

just a little thread necromancy to point out The Hate U Give has a movie adaptation out next week

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_hate_u_give

Sitting pretty at 100%!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/RockanRollGypsy/status/1042881934949531648

They're still trying!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Pretty sure you'll always be able to get a copy before it's turned into a movie since that will never happen

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've seen a lot of Barnes & Noble book signings. I guess there's not a very strict requirement to getting a store to host your book signing.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Which is a serious bummer, because having a national chain like B&N host signings legitimizes her in a way she doesn't deserve.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Hm. Unlike some people, I'm not jealous when an up-and-coming author gets a bit of promotion. Maybe the whiners should try writing a book themselves.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Not really 'up and coming' when you literally engage in a scam to artificially inflate interest in your paper turd.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
You can believe what you want. But at the end of the day, Lani has her novel, and you have...? :rolleyes:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Secure knowledge that I never paid anyone to lie about my theoretical trashpile of a book, or paid a Russian review brigade to leave false positive reviews of it to trick more people into giving me money.
:keke:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
OK, I really didn't expect you to go along with my schtick this far.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I'm an overnight security guard and it's only 2am, I'll take what entertainment I can get.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Secure knowledge that I never paid anyone to lie about my theoretical trashpile of a book, or paid a Russian review brigade to leave false positive reviews of it to trick more people into giving me money.
:keke:
oh so tricking people into giving you money is supposed to be bad now?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Chris Roberts is a bad role model, I'm sorry you had to learn it here first

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Her little tweet got all of nine likes and zero replies, meaning the “haters” don’t even give a poo poo. While blocking her (which I somehow hadn’t done yet) I noticed some of her recent hits include griping about getting milk on a flight and making a showy post about it being Left-Handed people day where she had the audacity to refer to a right-handed world. Also, that particular B&N hasn’t used their own account since June.

She hosed up so thoroughly she’s less of a blip to the general public compared to similar, thoroughly online-based scandals.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

to me, you guys sound a lot more hosed up and weird than the person you're trying to make fun of

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Just saw that the author of "Hate" passed away

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Davros1 posted:

I freaked out a little but it was actually the film's screenwriter, Audrey Wells. Angie Thomas is still alive.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Davros1 posted:

Just for clarification, the screenwriter of the movie passed away, not the author of the original book.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm slowly making my way through this amazing journey and I think the best/worst thing is that I know about 30 people who are identical to Lani and every single one of them thinks they're intensely unique and not at all mainstream

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Davros1 posted:

Does anyone have an alibi for Lani?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

precision posted:

I'm slowly making my way through this amazing journey and I think the best/worst thing is that I know about 30 people who are identical to Lani and every single one of them thinks they're intensely unique and not at all mainstream

Lanis are pretty common, and her work isn't that unique compared to the average unpublished fanfic. The only thing that made her different is that she put a ton of effort and money into trying to cheat into fame, way beyond what the average self-absorbed author is willing to do. She spent a lot of money to permanently ruin her professional reputation.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah. "Check this out, I listen to Dixie Chicks and Dave Matthews" is like the watered down version of "I like Public Enemy and Johnny Cash", and frankly makes the fact that a chapter of Gossip Girl opens with a Pavement quote look good

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If it's all set in Las Vegas the characters should really be bragging about their in-depth appreciation for Wayne Newton and Liberace to show their Vegas cred. :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Talking of which, I just got to the chapter with Wayne Newton and Carrot Top and lmaoooooo

Also, the Plain White T's got a record deal like, what, 10 years ago now? How long had this poo poo been festering in her brain???

Edit: oh my god the tarot part. I've been a tarot reader for 22 years, over half that time I've been doing it professionally, and while I've come to accept that many (if not most) people who read cards are bad at it and believe stupid poo poo, I still almost had to literally stop reading because of how badly she butchered Literally Everything About It

precision fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

precision posted:

Talking of which, I just got to the chapter with Wayne Newton and Carrot Top and lmaoooooo

Also, the Plain White T's got a record deal like, what, 10 years ago now? How long had this poo poo been festering in her brain???

Probably since whenever she stopped being their manager. Jenny Trout's sporking mentioned that when the excuse for Jackson not appearing in the end is because they're going on tour with Imagine Dragons, there was a real tour with 100 Monkeys and Imagine Dragons going on at the time of writing.

• Locked thread