Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gotta give Lani credit; she's the gift that keeps on giving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
August 2017: Gets caught in an extraordinarily inept and obvious attempt to make her book look like it is the #1 national best seller

February 2018: Gets caught in an extraordinarily inept and obvious attempt to make her book look like it has overall mediocre reviews on Amazon.com

The lowered aim is funny but so is the fact that if she's still manipulating the numbers then she's still clearly dead set on MAKING this MOVIE.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

The lowered aim is funny but so is the fact that if she's still manipulating the numbers then she's still clearly dead set on MAKING this MOVIE.

Is she still set on playing herself the main character?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Can falsified reviews be reported to amazon? Or perhaps Amazon just doesn't care so long as it's not explicit illegal chat, like murdering a president of Buttcoins.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

From February 13th to the 15th, the book suddenly got 49 5-star reviews on Amazon (plus one 4-star review to break up the monotony, I guess) after having no reviews for almost a month. It was enough to bump the book up to 3/5 stars on Amazon, and in fact now takes up nearly half the reviews. Not only do many of these profiles have very few other product reviews, at least one also stopped in to give 1 star to The Hate U Give.

:lol:

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Even better: a reply to the HfM review claims “Lisa Hendricks” is the camera operator for the film. The only other review on Amazon on that account is for a camera tripod. And Zade’s Lani’s headshot is credited to the same name.

afaik you can say “no” if the review wasn’t helpful and generically “report abuse” but there’s no specifics you can add. It’s very clear how fake these “reviews” are, a lot of the same one-word “amazing” and even one that’s just “A.”

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 25, 2018

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Even better: a reply to the HfM review claims “Lisa Hendricks” is the camera operator for the film. The only other review on Amazon on that account is for a camera tripod. And Zade’s Lani’s headshot is credited to the same name.

As lisa hendricks herself might say, for example in a review of "50 Inch Aluminum Camera Tripod For Canon, Nikon, Sony, Samsung, Olympus, Panasonic & Pentax + eCost Microfiber": hard to believe

(I believe it)

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 25, 2018

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
The needle is starting to move on Goodreads too.

Those three users all list Bangladesh as their location in their profiles, and have only rated Handbook.

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 25, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Someone on Jenny Trout's blog suggested she may have used something like Fiverr to hire people for it.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

This whole thing fascinates me because it's all so transparent and ironic.

The book is focused on stage magicians. Sleight of hand, "pay no attention to that man behind the curtain" masters of misdirection, right? And then she takes absolutely nothing from her magician crushes' lessons, and tries a PR scam that a toddler could figure out. She's trying to do a magic trick on her sales, in the clumsiest, most "hey watch how I do this" way possible.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Oh man was I happy when I saw posts on here again

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I was in a goon horror streaming Discord the other night and we watched Clive Barker's Lord of Illusions. I couldn't help but point out similarities to Handbook for Mortals: a big name stage magician is actually using real magic to perform impossible illusions.

I do wish Zade's performance would have ended like Swann's did: faking his death by brutally killing himself in a trick gone wrong and using magic to come back to life, and then when the villain is defeated his magic disappears and his flesh gruesomely breaks off until he's just a skeleton.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Oh man was I happy when I saw posts on here again

Right now, this is my favorite SA thread

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

And of course, this "Lisa Hendricks" isn't on IMDB

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 26, 2018

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
Wow what a great book!!

Again, all Bangladeshi, all have rated only Lani's book. The overall rating has gone from 1.3 (out of 5) yesterday morning to 1.99 today.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
well you see I got all these 1 star reviews from people who haven't read the book so I hired a bunch of people to give it 5 star reviews who havent read the book to balance it out so that its actually fair and accurate - lani, tomorrow

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

well you see I got all these 1 star reviews from people who haven't read the book so I hired a bunch of people to give it 5 star reviews who havent read the book to balance it out so that its actually fair and accurate - lani, tomorrow

Okay but you loving know that will be her actual reasoning when she gets asked.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Okay but you loving know that will be her actual reasoning when she gets asked.

thus why I cited the quote as being from tomorrow

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

@EstherAnnUrFace, one of the most active Twitter users in the Handbook drama, mentioned that she's been following this thread as well as Jenny Trout's stuff and the Handbook Podcast. We might actually be one of the most comprehensive online sources on this book right now.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

chitoryu12 posted:

We might actually be one of the most comprehensive online sources on this book right now.

Well, dang, I was thinking of changing my avatar (though thanks again to whoever bought this, my first one), but now I'm feeling mighty chuffed having it.

(seriously, though, who is this dude in the wifebeater? tineye was no help)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nakar posted:

The only explanation that could possibly salvage this is that Spellman is himself a Real Wizard and he's handwaved all this bullshit because he knows Zade practices Chaos Magick, but that makes him incredibly loving stupid because his crew clearly doesn't know that magic is real and letting a girl no one's ever heard of perform a completely impossible and seemingly deadly trick with no one's knowledge or approval but his own would make Spellman immediately suspicious as well.

I suspect either this very predictable thing will come true, or that Sarem will just forget all about any of this by the next chapter and somehow nobody will obsessively follow up on this.

I'm reading back through the thread and noticed that Nakar came really close to nailing the twist after Chapter 1.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
I think of all the education that I missed
But then my homework was never quite like this
Ow got it bad, got it bad, got it bad,
I'm

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

I think of all the education that I missed
But then my homework was never quite like this
Ow got it bad, got it bad, got it bad,
I'm

A Murloc?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/stampepk/status/968470164189663232

Do your duty, folks.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
For what it's worth, Amazon and Goodreads do both have teams that monitor fraudulent behavior; it's just hard to contact them directly. You can go to their Contact Us pages, though, and submit a complaint, and it'll be routed to the fraud team.

Amazon: select "Prime or something else" at the top, then select "More non-order questions" and "Other non-order question" from the drop-downs, and put "review manipulation/fraud" in the summary.

Goodreads: select "Report spam or abuse" from the drop-down, and again, put "review manipulation/fraud" in the summary.

e: ^^ hah, should have refreshed

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
https://twitter.com/RockanRollGypsy/status/968464250569031682

Oooo she's on the defensive now.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

loving called it!

easiest thing in the world to call

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

lmfao

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Ebony is adulting really hard right now.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/RockanRollGypsy/status/968581340852449280

The dumpster fire only continues to grow.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 27, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/ebonymckenna/status/968619022852923393

Barely lasted a few days.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
For somebody who supposedly worked as an entertainment manager, she is shockingly bad at this.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

For somebody who supposedly worked as an entertainment manager, she is shockingly bad at this.

I disagree, I am entertained as all hell

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Lani clearly lives by the adage "no publicity is bad publicity."

Probably because, without bad publicity, she would have no publicity.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Every 5-star Goodreads review from this month is gone, except one person who just joined today and rated a bunch of other YA books to make it look legit.

Bonus:

edit: :toxx:: A movie about Lani Sarem's attempt to defraud the system into making her lovely book into a movie will be released before a studio production of the Handbook for Mortals movie is.

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 28, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Besesoth posted:

Every 5-star Goodreads review from this month is gone, except one person who just joined today and rated a bunch of other YA books to make it look legit.

Bonus:

No way

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Why the gently caress can an author even review their own work?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I just discovered Fakespot, a website that determines how many book reviews are legit. I just ran the analysis, and it got a D.

quote:

Our engine has analyzed and discovered that 45.7% of the reviews are reliable.

This product had a total of 162 reviews on Feb 28 2018.

Interesting tidbit: the most used word by reviewers is "book".

How are reviewers describing this item?
great, good, down, next and young.

Our engine detects that in general the reviewers have a suspiciously positive sentiment.

Our engine has profiled the reviewer patterns and has determined that there is high deception involved.

Reviews Summary

quote:

I also liked the love triangle between jackson, zade and mac

I liked how zade is protective of her own secrets

What girl doesn’t like a love triangle?!the book was so good, i couldn’t put it down

Things i loved about the book

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

wait I clearly already forgot most of the book

there was a love triangle?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

L, M.A.O.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

When Lani's schemes backfire, they backfire.

• Locked thread