Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I was pointing out a bunch of people discovered corpus analysis software what was snarky about it

That's... actually funny now that you explained it. Carry on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
im gay

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What does that have to do with anything?

Was going by this definition, haven't heard it used for comparative software but I guess I'm out of the loop :shrug:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

After an indeterminate amount of time on small talk and business conversations, Zade settles in for a nap in one of the theatre seats. She's quickly shaken awake by Cam.

quote:

“It looked like you met everyone that works here today. The line to say hello to you after your performance resembled an autograph signing by a boy band. I don’t really know what the latest one is, but Backstreet, Five Directions, One Second of Winter, 98 Celsius, O-city, NSYNC Boys or Old Kids on a Curb or something like that.”

I laughed hard at his combo of wrong boy band names and his clear indication that he knew all the boy bands; he purposely had made the small wrong switches in their names. What perhaps made it funnier was the fact that he was pretty enough to be in any of those bands. “It feels like I met enough people to fill a concert for all those bands put together. It’ll take a bit for me to learn everyone’s names, though.”

“Of course,” Cam nodded. “They all just met one person. You just met two hundred people. No one’s expecting you to know all their names yet. You just have to know the important ones, like mine.” Cam smiled and flashed his full set of pearly whites.

“Uh . . . who are you?” Cam frowned and pretended to look hurt. I laughed again before proving that I did remember his name at least. “Your name I remember. How could I forget, Cam? Is it short for Cameron?”

He nodded. “Yeah, it is. Most of us get our names shortened or get nicknames around here. See? You’re good, then. Well, maybe you should know Charles’s name too. Then you’re definitely good.” Cam shrugged a little and nudged my arm.

“Yep, I’ll just start calling everyone else ‘darlin’,’ like any good southern girl would.”

Why thank you, Zade, for taking the time to carefully explain how Cam is making a joke and not actually a complete dingbat. Their pointless dialogue is interrupted by Mac, who still looks a bit pissed at Zade for her unplanned stunt. After sending Cam on his way, he tells Zade that he wants to schedule a crew call with her after the contract is signed, so everyone can go over her trick (Zade claims that calling it a "trick" instead of an "illusion" is meant as an insult) and its safety features to make sure it can be properly incorporated in the show. You know, like any normal people would.

After bragging about how her towering height of 5'9 lets her look him in the eye, Zade pointedly tells Mac that she has no intention of revealing her secrets to anyone. Mac reacts with an incredibly reasonable and realistic "It's my responsibility if you get hurt so stop being a bitch", but Zade gets back in her nearly-punching mood like she was with her mom.

quote:

“I understand this is your job and all, but I don’t think you’re listening to me,” I hissed. I tapped his chest with my finger and he jolted a bit at my touch. He looked at me like I was speaking some kind of foreign language. “I’m not listening? Lady, you need your ears cleaned,” he snarled back. He turned around to walk away, as if that was the end of our conversation. If he was trying to piss me off more, it was working.

I grabbed him by the shoulder, stopping him in his tracks and swinging him around to face me. My face had flushed and I’d raised my voice to a full yell. “And you need to get some manners. I’m not showing you how it’s done, okay? If we have a problem I can go to another show where the technical director doesn’t have a God complex. I’m not a girl who needs a knight in shining armor.” I was practically snarling at him.

Zade continues to be the absolute worst person at any given time. Mac has Riley call Charles (who apparently goes by CS as his nickname here) for backup, and Zade gets even more pissed.

quote:

I was back in his face, stern and loud. “Look. It was part of my deal, end of story. I didn’t know Joffrey Baratheon worked here now.” I wondered if Mac even watched Game of Thrones, but hoped he would get my reference to the child king from the first two seasons who acted like, well, a child given power he didn’t deserve or know how to handle.

Again, Zade/Lani is convinced that the audience for her novels is just as stupid as she is.

Before she can stomp off, Charles Spellman returns. Amazingly, he actually defends Zade keeping her trick a secret and brushes off Mac and Zeb's concerns about OSHA regulations. Charles comes up with a compromise: Zade will tell him and only him how she does the trick. I'm really hoping this ends with a reveal that Spellman is really a spellcaster himself who's in on the secret, because otherwise this whole charade somehow becomes less plausible.

Just for good measure as he walks away, Charles offhandedly mentions they're cutting the Dance Illusion (Sofia's main act) to fit in Zade, which rightfully pisses her off to no end despite his assurances that they'll come up with something new for her. Zade and Charles enter his office alone, and he asks how she performs her trick.

We don't even get a description of his office, let alone an explanation for what's going on, before the next chapter abruptly cuts in a week later. Human Resources has finished processing Zade's paperwork, with Zade being allowed to stay at the Wynn until she gets an apartment. Zade is getting fitted for her costume in the wardrobe department by Lillianne, who goes by Lil. Yes, another three-letter name!

quote:

She talked a lot, and fast, while smacking her gum. She continued on about how she only thought her great aunt called her by her full name because her name was Anne and thought that somehow she was kind of named after her. I quickly learned more about Lil than I know about most people I’ve known for my half my life. She looked like the stereotypical Goth: black hair, black nails, and more than her fair share of tattoos. I’m pretty sure that if you saw her on the street the last thing you would think is that she made clothes for a living.

Nice to see Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way has returned from Lani's prior work for a cameo! Also, I'm pretty sure a hell of a lot of people would predict that the goth girl covered in tattoos makes clothes for a living; just about every tattooed goth girl I've met has done hair, clothes, makeup, and/or tattoos.

Lil takes measurements of every part of Zade's body to put on file so they can make all the costumes she wants without needing constant fitting sessions. The ensuing dialogue is incredibly boring. A sample:

quote:

“I love your hair by the way! All the colors look super fab! Do you go to a salon?” Lil grabbed chunks of my hair, looking at the different colors before I had a chance to respond.

“Oh no, I just go to Sally Beauty Supply and get the colors and do it myself. In the little town I’m from we have one hair salon, and they aren’t exactly willing to do anything—in their words—‘crazy.’ So I had to start coloring it myself plus it’s so much cheaper.” I put up air quotes as I stressed “crazy.”

“Wow, it’s so fun; I’ll have to have you do my hair some time!” Lil tossed her hair around playfully.

“I’d be happy to do your hair anytime. Sometime we should go to Sally and pick out some colors for you.”

Zade continues making small talk, like pointing out one of Lil's dresses (a black getup with multicolored ruffled tulle underskirts and a tall angular collar, which sounds frankly hideous) to compliment it. Suddenly, the text is broken up by what looks like a huge border resembling the phases of the moon and the text switches to italics.

What's going on? You see, Lani is really obvious about her desire to just make a screenplay in novel form. But how do you show anything that's not from the protagonist's point of view? I mean, it's a first person novel that's written as if Zade herself is writing the book for you. The answer Lani comes up with is to just break every rule she needs to! The borders and italics mark a shift into third person narration, describing things Zade isn't actually experiencing.

quote:

Mac slowly walked up to the door of the fitting room. He could hear Lil chattering away—mostly gossip, as usual. He raised his hand to knock on the door, but as he clutched his fingers together and balled up his hand to make a fist the door opened just a crack. It hadn’t been closed all the way. Mac could see Zade standing in nothing but her lace underwear and bra as Lil pulled a measuring tape around her narrow waist. Both pieces were black and nude with lace trim and the panties, which were a high-waisted cut, framed Zade’s body nicely and showed off her curves and small waist. Lil made a note in her pad of the measurement and moved down to Zade’s hips. Under the bright lights, Zade’s skin looked porcelain white. She was beautiful. She wasn’t supermodel hot but there was something about her that just made her stand out. Mac couldn’t quite put his finger on it but there was something there.

He tried to push the thoughts out of his head; he didn’t want to like her. He couldn’t like her. Zade was the enemy. He tried to repeat that to himself. He took a deep breath and kept telling himself he should just turn and walk away. He had forgotten why he was even standing in front of the wardrobe door. It had something to do with Zade and her first day, but he couldn’t remember anything beyond that now. Mac was not the kind of guy to just forget things and it made him frustrated that looking at her seemed to do that to him. Despite his frustration with himself he still stood there staring for quite a while, the whole time thinking he should just look away, but he couldn’t seem to actually take his eyes off of her.

Mac's perving is suddenly interrupted by Tad sneaking up on him. Mortified at being caught, they sneak away from the door to talk in private. Tad tries to joke about it, but Mac is embarrassed and threatens to murder both of them if he doesn't keep quiet. I'm really hoping our second love interest is a decent guy, because right now it's the story of two assholes yelling at each other.

We shift back to first person as Zade finishes up.

quote:

I’m pretty sure every inch of me had been measured—and I knew Lil’s entire life story. I could practically tell you anything about her, including what she had eaten for breakfast—and, no, I’m not even joking about that one. (She had had scrambled eggs with cheese, turkey bacon, whole-grain toast, and some homemade mango jelly. She had gotten all the ingredients fresh from a local farmer’s market—which she recommended I go and try.)

With my mind on other things and still excited about my first day, I waltzed out of wardrobe not paying any attention to where I was walking. I still had my head turned, saying goodbye to Lil, when I collided into what one would most certainly call tall, dark, and handsome. He was exactly my type, if I ever had one. I had crashed into him so hard that I started to tumble to the ground. Luckily, he apparently had catlike reflexes and caught me in his arms. He held me there for a moment, just long enough for me to look into his deep, sparkling eyes. I’m pretty sure I turned every shade of red imaginable, as I was already embarrassed by my clumsiness—and then just in awe of his handsome radiance. He pulled me up slowly and gingerly even slightly tighter into him before he placed me upright and back on solid ground.

Found the second love interest. This is Jackson Milsap, the show's bandleader! He has perfectly tousled dark chestnut hair, dimples, and a guitar slung on his back. The two immediately start flirting as Zade mentions she also plays guitar, which Jackson says is "hot for sure". Jackson offers to jam with her sometime since he's got his own band outside of the show, and he offers to loan her his acoustic guitar from his dressing room.

Jackson is here because he volunteered to give the new girl the tour of the Wynn.

quote:

He put out his arm like guys do on dates sometimes when they want to be sweet. It’s a weakness for me when a guy does it; it makes me feel special somehow. Maybe because it’s always done to princesses and debutantes in old movies, and it just feels so romantic. “Shall we?” he cooed.

I was just about to link my arm with his when I realized that I had forgotten my phone in the wardrobe room. I was about to ruin what was a perfect moment. “Oh, hang on. I need to run back into wardrobe. I left my phone. Let me grab it and then we can start the magical tour.” I was embarrassed that I had forgotten it and I tried to sound cute by calling what we were about to do “the magical tour.” I wasn’t sure if I came off cute or silly for it.

He didn’t seem annoyed at all and shrugged as he responded, “Sure. I’ll be right here . . . waiting for you.” He emphasized the words “right here” and “waiting for you.” I giggled like a schoolgirl. At least I got his reference and joke. Gotta be cool points for that. I made sure to say, “Thanks, Richard Marx,” before darting back into wardrobe.

Unfortunately, that meant that I had that song stuck in my head and it made me wonder if that comment meant he was actually a fan of Richard Marx. I grabbed my cell phone off the counter. Luckily, Lil was preoccupied with someone else, talking their ear off. I picked it up and waved, showing her I had just come back to retrieve my left cell phone. She nodded before apologizing that she hadn’t even realized it was there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUhLt1NchOU

I hate this book.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Kinda surprised you passed over the fact that people are talking about boy bands 15 years too late because the author managed them

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Kinda surprised you passed over the fact that people are talking about boy bands 15 years too late because the author managed them

I was wondering what bands Lani has managed, so I did some more Googling and found her LinkedIn. She actually lists her job as "Girl Wonder & Swiss Army Knife" in terms of management for UD Factory in Las Vegas, but I can't find any specific mention of bands she managed beyond Blues Traveler, 100 Monkeys, and Plain White T's. I'm not sure if she ever managed a band for longer than about 2 years.

She also lists the film adaptation of Handbook for Mortals as having a funding of $15 million. For comparison, the first Twilight film had a budget of $37 million and didn't exactly have any elaborate teleportation stunts with the amount of CGI she clearly wants in Zade's magic. $15 million is on the budgetary level of Slumdog Millionaire, and is an even lower budget than The Conjuring.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

She's insane.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

iospace posted:

She's insane.

Like I said, she reminds me a lot of that woman I tried to do theatre with this year. Both of them are utterly divorced from reality, have little idea of the costs involved in doing business (Lani thinks $15 million will get her a big budget summer blockbuster with a ton of CGI, crazy New Orleans lady thought it would be a breeze to get a warehouse with a big set within a year and set up a show without a script), and dismiss any kind of criticism or attempts to stop their poor business practices as just trying to trip up their success out of jealousy.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
There is something inspiring about the combination of ambition and incompetence

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

iospace posted:

She's insane.

Please don't insult people with mental illness by lumping them in with her.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Here's my highly controversial opinion:

This book is really bad

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

she managed beyond Blues Traveler, 100 Monkeys, and Plain White T's.

Plain White T's. drat, those dudes are from my area. Two of the guys used to come out to a local bar I hang in. Not promising anything since I haven't them in years, but if either of them come in I'll definitely see if I can get them to dish on Lani.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Proteus Jones posted:

Plain White T's. drat, those dudes are from my area. Two of the guys used to come out to a local bar I hang in. Not promising anything since I haven't them in years, but if either of them come in I'll definitely see if I can get them to dish on Lani.

I just realized that you have the perfect avatar for this thread.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

You know, I just reflected on how absurd it is that the setting of a YA novel is a las vegas magic show

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You know, I just reflected on how absurd it is that the setting of a YA novel is a las vegas magic show

Lani's from Vegas, so write what you know?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think it's more "Vegas Magic Shows" are more adult oriented than not.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Really it was more "What teenage girl fantasizes about being in a magic show?"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Really it was more "What teenage girl fantasizes about being in a magic show?"

Zade is a 33 year old teenager. Because magic.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Zade is a 33 year old teenager. Because magic.

I meant the audience of the book/movie

why would a teenage girl want to spend her time reading/watching about a las vegas magic show

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not sure if intentional, but you actually linked a different Richard Marx song there. They're both godawful, though.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I meant the audience of the book/movie

why would a teenage girl want to spend her time reading/watching about a las vegas magic show

this thing has a target audience of 1, and she's for sure not a teenager :v:

tasukiscool
Feb 15, 2003

Voted most likely to be tied to train tracks 2007 - 2008
Slippery Tilde

chitoryu12 posted:

Like I said, she reminds me a lot of that woman I tried to do theatre with this year. Both of them are utterly divorced from reality, have little idea of the costs involved in doing business (Lani thinks $15 million will get her a big budget summer blockbuster with a ton of CGI, crazy New Orleans lady thought it would be a breeze to get a warehouse with a big set within a year and set up a show without a script), and dismiss any kind of criticism or attempts to stop their poor business practices as just trying to trip up their success out of jealousy.

I hadn't even considered that the movie would take a huge amount of CGI, but that makes her quote that the movie will "debut in 2018" even dumber.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

chitoryu12 posted:

(Zade claims that calling it a "trick" instead of an "illusion" is meant as an insult)

Well, yeah. Tricks are what a whore does for money.

Or candy.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Besesoth posted:

Well, yeah. Tricks are what a whore does for money.

Why those don't sound like they are for kids at all!

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

quote:

She was beautiful. She wasn’t supermodel hot but there was something about her that just made her stand out.

lol

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

"NO! DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND I'M BEAUTIFUL! THAT'S WHY ALL THESE MEN ARE TRYING TO HAVE SEX WITH ME, I MEAN ZADE, IN THIS BOOK THAT I WROTE!"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

Not sure if intentional, but you actually linked a different Richard Marx song there. They're both godawful, though.

I had no idea which song she intended because I don't listen to Richard Marx, so I just Googled the phrase.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
On the one hand, Vegas stage shows to tend to try to be a little bit sexy.

On the other hand, that's irrelevant because no teenager in existence cares about Vegas stage shows and especially Vegas magic shows.

On the other other hand, as someone has already pointed out, there isn't a target audience for this book because nobody was actually supposed to buy or read it except the publisher and whoever makes the movie.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Nakar posted:

On the one hand, Vegas stage shows to tend to try to be a little bit sexy.

On the other hand, that's irrelevant because no teenager in existence cares about Vegas stage shows and especially Vegas magic shows.

On the other other hand, as someone has already pointed out, there actually isn't a target audience for this book because nobody was actually supposed to buy or read it except the publisher and whoever makes the movie.

Yeah but I feel like if your goal is to make a movie to be famous you would make a story capable of being famous

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
On but who's the target audience of the movie?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ride The Gravitron posted:

Nakar posted:

the publisher and whoever makes the movie.
Plus the author and scriptwriter who also plays the lead character and probably provides the catering.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah but I feel like if your goal is to make a movie to be famous you would make a story capable of being famous

Unless you are Uwe Boll and you are just trying to utilize a (now closed) German tax loophole.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

It's kind of a fascinating misunderstanding of cause and effect. She seemed to think "popular movies are made from bestselling books" and assumed as long as the book was best selling the movie would be popular. She never apparently connected that the book is best selling because it is in some way interesting, which in turn makes the movie interesting

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Everything posted reads like first draft/only draft and it never saw an editor.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
It's cool the way she overexplains every joke and reference, it really makes me feel like I'm part of this magical world of popular music and TV programs.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
I've never read a book with so much brand-name-dropping. Is that normal for YA books, these days? Or any days? (I basically skipped all the kids/YA books and went from Dr Seuss to Tarzan in one jump, but I did go back and read some Nancy Drew and Bunnicula.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

I've never read a book with so much brand-name-dropping. Is that normal for YA books, these days?

It's not really YA (though it's not far off), but Ready Player One was thick with that sort of thing.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

Plus the author and scriptwriter who also plays the lead character and probably provides the catering.

I kind of hope Lani ends up doing the film as a zero-budget production with some friends and family, as did Gloria Tesch:
http://conjugalfelicity.com/maradonia-the-shadow-empire/
It'd be hilarious.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

I've never read a book with so much brand-name-dropping. Is that normal for YA books, these days? Or any days? (I basically skipped all the kids/YA books and went from Dr Seuss to Tarzan in one jump, but I did go back and read some Nancy Drew and Bunnicula.)

50 Shades, which is adult fanfic of a YA series, LOVES brand-name dropping. Then again, so did Twilight when it came to cars. I think it's far less a YA thing and more a consumer porn thing. I think it's extremely telling when an author focuses on what their characters own as a way to communicate how "sophisticated" they're meant to be, because if it's expensive it MUST be better, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ride The Gravitron posted:

Herself.

Lani Sarem began from the position of "I want to be the star of a blockbuster film adaptation like Twilight or The Hunger Games" and operated from that point. Her IMDB page shows repeated attempts to get into film and TV but never rising above a minor appearance in a B-movie.

If she wanted the book to be popular, she wouldn't have tried to fake a bestseller list position. With her incredible ability to delude herself, she thought she had a foolproof plot to fake a bestselling young adult novel and create her dream role.

The movie could bomb and make back $2,000 and she'd still consider it a success for her career.

• Locked thread