Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Leng posted:

I'm halfway through the Coursera machine learning course on the recommendation of this thread. It's been interesting so far but I didn't expect so much advanced calculus.

My background is business and I'm a casual programmer so the coding part doesn't faze me but geez the stats/maths part is intimidating. I haven't done anything mathematically more complex than discounted cash flow models for about 14 years and while I understand the intuition, I wouldn't be able to derive any of the formulas.

How much of what you'd do day to day in data science roles involves in depth mastery of mathematical theory? Is this just a foundational knowledge piece that you just need to learn and get comfortable with to know how your tools work? I don't mind cleaning up data or working with crappy systems that are crappy at collecting data but if I need to be able to get up and whiteboard advanced calculus at the drop of a hat, I'm not sure this is for me.

Anyone want to weigh in on this? Not having a strong maths background myself I would like to know.

For content: I'm putzing around learning programming on FreeCodeCamp and the free Data Science course MSFT put together on eDX. I don't think I'm going to make a full career transition into either but more doing it as a hobby and to offer some diversity in my work. I've unfortunately(?) progressed pretty far in my career that I would have to take a significant salary drop to transition into these fields. Maybe I could move to a leadership position of these but then I'm just trading the same job type for just another discipline.

That being said, I did a cool project recently using some of the ideas in the Data Science course that has gone much farther in my company than I expected. Backdooring data science in a culture that doesn't respect data may sometimes work for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

My gut tells me the certificate is meaningless compared to a portfolio projects you create with the knowledge.

I started CS50 a few weeks ago and love it. I love that I'm not just learning code but why everything works. Feel like I'm learning to fish compared to just learning to buy the fish (just the syntax).

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

quote="Pryor on Fire" post="491099511"]
It took me way longer to figure this out than it should have: if you're a white dude and have a white dude name on your resume nobody really cares about certs. For everyone else, they can be immensely valuable.
[/quote]

I'm 1/2 on that one. 1.5/2. My first and last name are Greek and most people are ignorant and just see it as foreign.

But youre spot on, hadn't thought about that angle.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

meanolmrcloud posted:

It was Grand Circus in Detroit. Since starting, I’ve been uselessly bombarded with ads from other companies in the area, and looking at them, they all have their pros and cons. I would imagine that very few of them have the networking GC does though.

What's up Detroit buddy?

Willing to share what company you got a job at? I work in the City also, but not in an IT role. I'm at DTE.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I think you can take that course for free from EDX

E: yes, only pay for certificate. I started this and found it pretty good.

https://webview.edx.org/microsoft-professional-program-data-science

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 19, 2019

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

meanolmrcloud posted:

Yea, as someone who just changed careers, this is 100% true. every entry level position is still going to assume you know nothing and the biggest leg up you have is the pipeline of employers and events your bootcamp should feed you. An online program might heavily suggest that you attend meetups or suggest hot companies in your area, but it’s very different than meeting employers face to face weekly in a structured environment.

Entering month 3 of gainful employment, still going good and feeling confident in my choice.

I asked this a few months back and you probably missed it. Always good to find someone else from the D:

meanolmrcloud posted:

It was Grand Circus in Detroit. Since starting, I’ve been uselessly bombarded with ads from other companies in the area, and looking at them, they all have their pros and cons. I would imagine that very few of them have the networking GC does though.

What's up Detroit buddy?

Willing to share what company you got a job at? I work in the City also, but not in an IT role. I'm at DTE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

meanolmrcloud posted:

Hey! Yea, sorry I missed that. I am at one of the bigger mortgage companies in the area. I guess I should also mention something that didn't occur to me in this job transition is that software development, at least at my company, requires a pretty significant understanding of the industry you are developing for, and how your company operates in that space. As opposed to retail, or social work stuff like I was doing before, you could get by with a thin understanding of the business, people skills and building your skill set.

At my new position, the nuts and bolts of how we navigate the loan process is vital to writing functional software, and there are an absolutely huge amount of things to keep in mind. It's pretty drat interesting.

Hoping you're not at the one that rhymes with NagCar and are at the one that rhymes with Stock our Flicken.