Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

World of Warcraft I've been playing it since the beta so I do everything in it without thinking about, plus I get to talk to people or have music/podcasts on. It just helps me mellow out. Although it can get really boring after a raid has lost its flair.

It's not a game itself but Zombie mode servers in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive they're fun and you never have to pay attention besides run n' shoot.

Thinking about it though I take way too many games seriously, even Stardew Valley I try to meta game the gently caress out of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, man:

Approaching 300 hours played, and that's without any mods or major DLC. There are only five other games where I've broken the 150 hour mark.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Starcraft 2's custom maps are pretty great if I want to half pay attention to something, especially when I'm really high and/or drunk.

Nexus Wars and Desert Strike are both tug-of-war type of games where you can check the game every other minute or so, build a few buildings and let the units fight (the AI controls all the units spawned)

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Steep, its nice just exploring the mountains, or starting at the top and cruising down.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Has anyone tried Subnautica out? It seems pretty relaxing but I'm worried for falling for overwhelmingly positive reviews that are probably all paid for and finding out the game is pretty lame.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Factorio
Sometimes I just ride around on the train, admiring my factory.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Has anyone tried Subnautica out? It seems pretty relaxing but I'm worried for falling for overwhelmingly positive reviews that are probably all paid for and finding out the game is pretty lame.

I haven't, but this reminds me that I have been meaning to go back and replay the first Endless Ocean and finally finish (well, begin again and finish; it's been years since I touched that save file) its sequel, both on the Wii.

Those games are exactly as chill as you want them to be, and you can play with a dolphin, and the soundtrack for the first one was my Peaceful Jam for a good while.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I've got about 650 hours played on Binding of Isaac Rebirth, and about 400 of those have just been spent dicking around with it while listening to podcasts or Let's Plays. Same with games like Diablo 3, Grim Dawn and the like - click the mans, then click the loot and get the happy as the numbers go up.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

For me? First and foremost it's probably Rocksmith because playing music is the main thing that lets me unwind.

If I can't do that, then I chuck on a movie or tv series and run around in Creativerse, Stonehearth or Rimworld. Basically any game where I can just make stuff and just let everyone run around doing their thing while I keep things on track.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
State of Decay. Not sure why exactly, but I find splattering zombies, finding supplies and building up my safehouse before moving on and doing it again to be very relaxing.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It's pretty relaxing if you aren't scared of giant sea monsters and aren't hugely bothered by technical issues like pop-in and sometimes falling through terrain. The game is very atmospheric

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

that are probably all paid for

:rolleyes:

I feel like the survival elements and the giant sea monsters trying to eat you make Subnautica distinctly un-chill. But I think you can also turn a lot of that stuff off entirely?

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

I kickstarted Fossil Hunters a few months ago and been playing the beta, and miraculously it has actually been released. The music is chill, the visuals are chill, the gameplay moves at a nice pace. All around a good way to spend a few minutes or a few hours. I got it on Steam but console versions are coming later, tbh getting it on the Switch might be the definitive chill experience but this is fine. It's even co-op.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/690150/Fossil_Hunters/

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015: Do You Still Shower With Your Dad?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I have no idea how many hours I've put into WoW by this point. I usually just put a TV show or podcast on in the background.

I'm another for the Dark Souls relaxation crew. Dark Souls 1 in particular because I've played it so many times I know where drat near everything is, so I'm never surprised.

Hotline Miami for a same reason as Dark Souls. Everything always in the same place, so you can play it through rote memorization. Just turn your brain off and let muscle memory take over.

Gyro Zeppeli has a new favorite as of 16:40 on Feb 14, 2018

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

All three of these have been mentioned already, but Rimworld is a great game where after the first couple of hours, you can usually kind of let it autopilot itself for decent stretches of time, like a screensaver with a narrative. Rocksmith is great if I want to play guitar for a while but don't want to deal with amps and pedals and backing tracks and poo poo, just plug it in and go. Elite Dangerous is cool as hell because you can play it just driving around and delivering poo poo while looking at cool space stuff, and it's fun makin' money. I play it with a HOTAS that I spent like $35 on and it's made the whole game super immersive and fun.

Quid
Jul 19, 2006
I bought Abzu instead of Subnautica. There's no breathing or enemies to worry about. It's impressive visually/musically plus there's no sea monsters attacking. It's just you exploring ruins and swimming with sea life. You can literally grab on and ride them,

I'm not usually big on racing games but my Xbox says I've spent the most time playing Forza Horizon 3. I like it because it's not just race after race, you can just tool around in a car and kill some time. I have a couple random pinball "tables" that have been free or cheap to download on the various "free" pinball games on Xbox. I'd like to get a couple more but most of the table packs are like $15-20 which seems ridiculous considering I only want to play 5-10 minutes before I put it down. Pool Nation is a billiards sim and Dovetail Euro Fishing is a fishing simulator. Both are easy to pick up and fun for what they are if you like the activity that they recreate,

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
ToME4 us a good roguelike with a graphic tileset that's really fun. It let's you play in a lot of different ways with the various races and classes, but there's not really a huge learning curve. It's free if you go directly to the ToME4 website or you can get it on steam.

Out Of The Park Baseball is also great if you either 1) love baseball or 2) always wanted to play a game that's just spreadsheets and random number generators.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I have no idea how many hours I've put into WoW by this point.

Unless this is :thejoke:, you know you can type /played in chat to be immediately depressed, right?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

State of Decay. Not sure why exactly, but I find splattering zombies, finding supplies and building up my safehouse before moving on and doing it again to be very relaxing.

Yeah I've circled back to this. I have a feeling both State of Decay 2 and Sea of Thieves are gonna be great chill games. At least what I've played of the beta.

Also Enter the Gungeon fuckin owns on Switch.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
If we're including phone apps, Shortyz is a free Android app with a good UI that gets crossword puzzles from a dozen different newspapers. Download the Saturday and Sunday puzzles for the really big ones.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Comptroll The Forums posted:

If we're including phone apps, Shortyz is a free Android app with a good UI that gets crossword puzzles from a dozen different newspapers. Download the Saturday and Sunday puzzles for the really big ones.

Thanks for this!

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Civ2 and just building houses in any of the Sims.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Sims 3

Godawful performance but I still prefer it to 4.

Fhistleb
Dec 31, 2008

Tell me more about your sandwiches.
Homeworld - Fantastic music and requires much brain thought
Homeworld: Cataclysm - the story is incredibly well done and makes me forget about my stressors

Monster Hunter World - Nothing makes me feel better than to kill creatures that were essentially minding their own business
Suikoden 2 - Good music and its not that hard of a game.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Pretty much every single jrpg from the PS2 and earlier. They're fun and relaxing no matter how many times I beat them.

If I had to pick a single favorite game that relaxes me for some reason? SNATCHER. I've beaten it so many times, but it keeps being the best thing.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Stexils posted:

Sims 3

Godawful performance but I still prefer it to 4.

It's weird that the Sims 3 and 4 are so goddamn similar I can't name a difference off the top of my head (I know there are some, but the jump from 2 to 3 was huge and the jump from 3 to 4 was like nothing) and yet something about 4 just kinda sucks in some vague way that makes it not any fun.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

food court bailiff posted:

It's weird that the Sims 3 and 4 are so goddamn similar I can't name a difference off the top of my head (I know there are some, but the jump from 2 to 3 was huge and the jump from 3 to 4 was like nothing) and yet something about 4 just kinda sucks in some vague way that makes it not any fun.

Sims 3 had an open world. Sims 4 went back to Sims 2 system of lots with travel time yet somehow made it worse.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Slay the Spire is a cool rogue like card game that I fire up for an hour or so when I'm at home watching YouTube and relaxing. It's fun to create a strategy around whatever relics you find and deck you manage to build, but it doesn't require an encyclopedic knowledge of different cards or anything so it's easy to get into. And it's hard, even maybe unfair at times, but starting over isn't a big deal and I've never gotten frustrated with it. The art is really neat too. There's some wild looking enemies and concepts, but it's still in early access so it's lacking some polish graphics wise. I recommend it heartily.

Fhistleb
Dec 31, 2008

Tell me more about your sandwiches.

Aramek posted:

Pretty much every single jrpg from the PS2 and earlier. They're fun and relaxing no matter how many times I beat them.

If I had to pick a single favorite game that relaxes me for some reason? SNATCHER. I've beaten it so many times, but it keeps being the best thing.

Snatcher is hilarious for all the special scenes like the floating pizza scene or calling the girly hotlines.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I haven't had my PS2 plugged in in a few years, but it was always Fight Night Round 2 for me. Something about the framerate, speed, and timing of the slow-down when you knocked someone down was so mindless and satisfying, and they didn't recreate it with the sequel(s?).

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Banished

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Used to chill with Fallout: New Vegas and also Oblivion.

Most of the time was spent tinkering with all the mods I installed, after that I'd start a new game with a different concept and play for a couple of hours.

Nowadays it's mostly android solitaire and Shattered Pixel Dungeon with a podcast playing.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The pirate Assassin's Creed was really fun sightseeing. You could roll up on any beach, start looking for treasure while splashing around on the beach, maybe fight some pirates, swim out to the boat and sing sea shanties while sailing to the next island.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Sims 3 had an open world. Sims 4 went back to Sims 2 system of lots with travel time yet somehow made it worse.

Sims 4 went back to Sims 1 style neighborhoods with a set number of fixed-sized lots, you can't place new lots (empty or otherwise) on the map or move lots around like in 2.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Infinifactory, only instead of efficiency I make my assembly lines as convoluted as possible.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Breath of the Wild is a great dicking around and relaxing game once you get far enough into it.

I also like to play Terraria if I just want to zone out.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Skyrim Requiem. The enemies are all unleveled, so you really feel powerful when you go from "mudcrabs are hard" to "I am dragon death incarnate". Also improves the roleplaying elements so I can really get into a character and get immersed.

So that's my chill to sorta stoned game. Rocket League is my very stoned game.

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -
CSGO for me. I'm kind of going in reverse in seriousness in the game. I've played CS since it was a mod for Half-Life, did the whole competitive thing for a few years trying to be super pro, now since GO came out I've logged like 250 hours only playing Dust 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeet posted:

CSGO for me. I'm kind of going in reverse in seriousness in the game. I've played CS since it was a mod for Half-Life, did the whole competitive thing for a few years trying to be super pro, now since GO came out I've logged like 250 hours only playing Dust 2.

I reinstall CSGO every 6 months for this reason.
It's pretty nice to have these quick matches where I feel like the only one not taking it SUPER SERIOUSLY.

I would never throw a match on purpose, I'm not a monster, but maybe all I bought was body armor and smoke grenades. Maybe I'm a ninja.

• Locked thread