Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Chris Knight posted:

no seriously Apple wtf

ios suggested "hell yea" instead of "he'll yea" to me today, which suggests to me that you write ketschups a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
honestly I get the weirdest loving suggestions like that, and the most I'll write other than English is French. so idk where this German(?) is coming from, let alone that precious example of a suggesting a misspelling of a proper word!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
and like you can't turn it off?! like you can't say "only suggest English words" or w/e?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Chris Knight posted:

honestly I get the weirdest loving suggestions like that, and the most I'll write other than English is French. so idk where this German(?) is coming from, let alone that precious example of a suggesting a misspelling of a proper word!

i sometimes get weird suggestions if im on the wrong keyboard like "hej med dig" -> "hen med sit", but nothing like "ketschups". thats in your dictionary i think

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol "precious" = "previous"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Chris Knight posted:

lol "precious" = "previous"

idk what to say

except sometimes i go back and delete the apostrophes when im yosposting cause i dont wanna seem too square

but i t doesnt change words for me. maybe my fingers are just super precise

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oh wait, maybe its this, a trick i internalized idk 5+ years ago

if i write a long word, ill put a random letter at the end and delete it again, cause that triggers some flag "ok this word is edited, dont suggest or autocorrect it" lol. i bet ill be doing that till i die

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
i think that one was just a legit typo i didn't notice because c and v are beside each other on a qwerty keyboard :v:

i did check my dictionary settings and it had both spanish and japanese on, no idea how or why.

looks lile turning off autocorrect is gonna be annoyijg becaude i guess im anbad typer on the mini phone

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i disabled autocorrect and suggestions years ago.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

i love when i force it to accept a non-English word, but then autocorrect breaks and starts underlining all the english words in red because it thinks i want to type in whatever other language the word is from now

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
What I hate is when I am typing in english and it starts recommending words in portuguese like if I was typing in portuguese most of the text would be in that language not just randomly.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Celexi posted:

What I hate is when I am typing in english and it starts recommending words in portuguese like if I was typing in portuguese most of the text would be in that language not just randomly.

like on the same keyboard?

i only get danish recs when im on the danish keyboard and english recs when im on the english

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
yeah on same keyboard

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Celexi posted:

yeah on same keyboard

huh ok i was not aware that you could use the same keyboard for multiple languages but im not sure why i want to, that seems annoying

makes more sense to switch over to whatever language i want to write in

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

infernal machines posted:

i disabled autocorrect and suggestions years ago.

over a decade ago. almost two lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i do have the keyboard suggestions on, but that's different imo

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Carthag Tuek posted:

huh ok i was not aware that you could use the same keyboard for multiple languages but im not sure why i want to, that seems annoying

makes more sense to switch over to whatever language i want to write in

as far I know it's the default, unless you go through the keyboard list when typing to specifically select a language

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Celexi posted:

as far I know it's the default, unless you go through the keyboard list when typing to specifically select a language

i mostly type in english and in danish. they dont have the same alphabets, so i switch keyboards. are you saying theres an option where i can type english on a danish keyboard and it will try to guess which language? what if i type swedish on a french keyboard? it should correct to french, no? but im typing swedish. seems error-prone. id rather just look at my keyboard and know im typing in whatever language

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

probably heresy ITT but I use the SwiftKey keyboard and just mash vaguely at the butans, works well.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Carthag Tuek posted:

i mostly type in english and in danish. they dont have the same alphabets, so i switch keyboards. are you saying theres an option where i can type english on a danish keyboard and it will try to guess which language? what if i type swedish on a french keyboard? it should correct to french, no? but im typing swedish. seems error-prone. id rather just look at my keyboard and know im typing in whatever language

yeah, wouldn't want to make autocorrect *unreliable*

i use swiftkey with multiple languages, simply use the physical layout with the superset of keys, and the autocorrect basically only complains about things that are incorrect for both languages. it's good.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

knox_harrington posted:

probably heresy ITT but I use the SwiftKey keyboard and just mash vaguely at the butans, works well.

how many languages per keyboard tho? im still not sure how it would even work in theory

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, wouldn't want to make autocorrect *unreliable*

i use swiftkey with multiple languages, simply use the physical layout with the superset of keys, and the autocorrect basically only complains about things that are incorrect for both languages. it's good.

so you do use different keyboards? or is it like blank slate blast letters and then the backend just goes "oh this is [language A]" from some stat db and call it machine learning?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I sometimes use swiftkey, i like that I can keep it synced in whatever device or os it is on. but it sometimes gives dumb suggestions that quickly make me go back to the ios or the gboard keyboard on android

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Celexi posted:

I sometimes use swiftkey, i like that I can keep it synced in whatever device or os it is on. but it sometimes gives dumb suggestions that quickly make me go back to the ios or the gboard keyboard on android

when i say "different keyboards" i mean there are different letters. if all the languages i wrote had the same letters idk what i would do, i guess i would hope whatever it is yall do works? machine takes guess and goes oh thats probably this but it wasnt, its just a word that looks like it.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Carthag Tuek posted:

how many languages per keyboard tho? im still not sure how it would even work in theory

I have English, French and German installed, it seems to handle adding words from the other languages assez bien without having to switch keyboard.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Carthag Tuek posted:

so you do use different keyboards? or is it like blank slate blast letters and then the backend just goes "oh this is [language A]" from some stat db and call it machine learning?

i don't think the autocorrect is much more complicated than me having selected two languages it just concatenates the dictionaries and call it a day. so it wouldn't complain if i switched languages every other word.

which is good as more clever is usually worse for this stuff (possibly until a substantial llm makes it on-device)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i don't think the autocorrect is much more complicated than me having selected two languages it just concatenates the dictionaries and call it a day. so it wouldn't complain if i switched languages every other word.

which is good as more clever is usually worse for this stuff (possibly until a substantial llm makes it on-device)

huh

its definitely stritcly one or the other on my phone

maybe its different if theyre the same alphabet vs not?

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

is there any way to get the ios keyboard to be more like the android one? when entering passwords on android, it shows more keys including numbers. entering passwords with numbers on ios is a loving pain because i'm constantly switching between the number keyboard and the letter keyboard

i know the obvious solution is to use a password manager but those don't work all the time

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

simply use the built in keychain, op

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

go play outside Skyler posted:

is there any way to get the ios keyboard to be more like the android one? when entering passwords on android, it shows more keys including numbers. entering passwords with numbers on ios is a loving pain because i'm constantly switching between the number keyboard and the letter keyboard

i know the obvious solution is to use a password manager but those don't work all the time
i use 1password op

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
pro tip: if your app doesn’t nave a correctly marked password field for autofill then you can just switch to your password manager app and copy/paste.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
unless the app doesn't allow pasting! :argh:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i have the korean keyboard enabled along with english and i literally never get korean suggestions. i don't get them in english, either, but still

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

go play outside Skyler posted:

there is a built-in password manager and i suggest you use it, but

do you not have "enable key flicks" turned on? that way you get numbers with, well, a flick down, or a long-press for more options

e.g. while writing that last sentence:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

What is up with Apple having an event so early in the morning? I guess the fact that they're all pre-recorded now means they don't have to worry about presenters having to get up early so they can be stage-ready at 7am, but it still feels kinda weird.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i thin they're just experimenting with event timing to see what works. remember the halloween M3 Mac announcement last october was at what, 5 pm?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It works for SE Asia, I can listen to this instead of a business meeting.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I guess it's too early for a GDT, too. Looking at this opening, I guess they're focused on Apple Pencil/iPad-as-an-illustration-tablet stuff today.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

I guess it's too early for a GDT, too. Looking at this opening, I guess they're focused on Apple Pencil/iPad-as-an-illustration-tablet stuff today.

maybe one day they'll even have the technology to announce one model of apple pencil that works across all their devices

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Okay, Tim is talking up the Apple Vision Pro. Are we gonna get sales numbers?

Nope, I guess we're just getting talk about Porsche's "spatial experience".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

"in february we shipped the apple vision pro, look porsche are using it!"