Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I enjoy that pointing out that WWE literally doing a special show for Saudi princes is about the same level as Dave awkwardly saying something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

illcendiary posted:

I never equated the two, I only said that two things can be bad simultaneously and that criticizing one doesn’t mean endorsing or ignoring the other. It’s a pretty disingenuous way to approach a disagreement. Let me guess, I can’t rail against late-stage capitalism from an iPhone either, can I?

You can criticize but Meltzer has apologized numerous times at this point, and wwe took the money from Saudi Arabia. They also didn't change the moolah battle royale until snickers got upset, and the million other lovely things wwe does.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

MassRafTer posted:

I'm not making a joke here but his natural speech pattern is a 30 minute parade of tangents.

Yeah I said it earlier. Dave is a weird dude he says things in weird ways. He's not a bad guy just a weirdo.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

illcendiary posted:

The thirty minute tangents things is part of what makes the shows so entertaining. It was funny to listen to him get derailed almost immediately into the Neidhart retrospective.

But I guess my point is this. When you do something lovely, it’s not wrong for someone to call you out, and when you apologize and the apology kinda sucks, it’s not wrong to get called out on that either. Doesn’t have to be a referendum on the totality of the person.

If someone is making a genuine attempt it's more than ok to go look I know what you're trying to say. Let's move on. But you already said you don't think he is being genuine.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Gumball Gumption posted:

At this point I'm just annoyed at both sides. I feel like it was obvious Dave was trying to comment on her surgery and is too much of a weirdo to not just say it and instead said something way worse. I also feel like a lot of the outcry is genuine or at least missing the real point. Most of what I've seen is people saying that you can't call Peyton unattractive because actually she's very attractive and look at these photos of how attractive she is. It's kind of missing the point that "attractiveness" just shouldn't be a part of the equation.

Also forget Saudi Arabia, remember all the times WWE has called Mickie James fat and old in her current run?

The outcry on those tweets didn't seem genuine at all. They didn't even read like he people who were supposed to be writing them. I really think wwe wants to discredit Dave so they can control the full wrestling narrative.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

CVagts posted:

Dave's apology is like one of those old Ring of Honor main events where they just keep going 10-15 minutes longer than they should and kick out of way too many finishers.

So, good?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

RealFoxy posted:

I don't know how long it's been since anyone's mentioned RBR but they had a really great discussion on how WWE is "Eating their babies" and signing up everyone that has a name so the people who end up being the top of the indies should be midcarders in the indies at best, and there's never going to be another CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, or even Roddy Strong because everyone's getting signed up too soon and floundering in NXT. Nobody can become emotionally invested and there's no long term rivalries to be had anymore because now everyone's end-term is being signed up by the WWE. Guys like Apollo Crews, Dijak, TMDK are becoming lost in the shuffle because there's too many people and not enough time for them anymore in NXT, and they didn't have the time to have a full career in the indies like AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, etc.

WWE is killing the indies and the talent they're scooping up are becoming part of a very bloated roster where none of them are special

I mean that's what they did to the UK scene too. They signed up all the draws and then decided to not do too much with them. They're def making a ploy to kill non wwe wrestling right now.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Cavauro posted:

has anyone listened to tights and fights? i like mike eagle as a dude but i don't listen to any wrestling poo poo.

I tried listening to it when it first started but man they don't seem to really know poo poo about wrestling.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Go RV! posted:

That's part of my point, though. I don't watch it. I've heard of it, I don't know much about it, I'd definitely consider it watching, but I haven't been pushed to make that leap yet.

If someone with a big platform would go out and say "hey, this show is really good and this promotion is really good, they've got a show on this date, and they've got a streaming service here, check it out everyone" then that could kickstart conversations about that promotion and give them some attention that indies need so loving much.

Instead I get to hear about the latest WWE death march twice. We've already got WON for that. Use the loose format show to try something new and fun and not just feed the cycle of bad wrestling despair

Lol can you seriously not make a decision to watch something on your own? You really need someone to dictate what you watch?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

MassRafTer posted:

I mean theoretically the idea behind reviewing things is to tell you if they are worth seeing.

I suppose but we live in an era now where you just have to press a couple buttons and to can watch something super easily. Not to mention these companies throw free matches up on on YouTube constantly and you can decide then and there if it's for you.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Its bad but being puzzled as to why she isn't coming out in makeup that makes her more attractive is dumb too.

She should be having them do full face mask paint like Finn or Golddust if she wants to do intimidating makeup.

Well if she's trying to look intimidating it isn't working and if she's trying to look more attractive it isn't working. So she needs to figure something out.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Baron Corbin posted:

maybe she can just wear it for herself? you sexist creep?

When she is a performer she is trying to convey something with her attire and aesthetic. What exactly is she trying to convey?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I never forgive and I never forget.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I'm confused because bluegrass is unironically good. Who is ironically liking it?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Dave on chapo talking about wwe in Saudi Arabia would be my favorite thing in the world. Felix and Dave could compare biceps.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Just let Dijak and Kieth Lee wrestle each other on tv and they will get over.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

GoutPatrol posted:

There is truly no one on Earth like Dave.

He is legit my favorite person in the world. He's wrestlings Huell Howser.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

DangerDummy! posted:

Is Whiplash a good movie?

Yes extremely good.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Jerusalem posted:

He said on a recent show that Roman took an oral chemotherapy pill to treat his leukemia. It then came out that Roman took a different kind of pill that isn't chemotherapy. Dave then said that he was wrong and stood corrected.

Goddamn that's a deep cut.

Truly one of the true monsters of our time.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Demtor posted:

Like, duuunchoo think that they... could like, shaar thoughts that have imporatiance?

Bella twins go on red scare.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Jerusalem posted:

As bad as WWE has become, nothing touches how unbelievably lovely and wasteful WCW was. Now that it's a done deal it is tempting to look back on it fondly (and to be fair, there was a lot of neat stuff that happened inbetween the awful) because everything has a context/resolution now, but WCW was complete and utter dogshit.

I could buy the argument ten years ago, but at this point wwe has been horrible for over a decade. Wcw got bad sure but it was over pretty quick. WWE has been awful forever now and there are no signs of it getting better.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Super No Vacancy posted:

wcw's badness was much more surreal and immediate and therefore better

Yeah exactly. Wwe is bad in the worst way possible which is just being boring.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Low Desert Punk posted:

isn't the idea that it's just a mediocre steakhouse, but it was pretty cheap and steak was rare in Japan so all the gaijins would go to eat and drink

I think portion sizes are usually smaller in Japan too so Brody was looking for big steaks.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Meltzer is the Huell Howser of pro wrestling.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
The thing about cornette too is his criticisms are usually pretty on the nose and he really does have a lot of great ideas about wrestling, it's just sometimes he works a little too hard and doesn't know how to read the room or turn it down a little.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah it was good, though I disagree with his take about not wanting to see that the wrestlers are normal people. He makes a good point about larger than life characters being incredibly compelling, but I think it's a bit of an old school mentality and a lot of people actually prefer knowing that the people they see on television/on shows are just regular, ordinary people. It humanizes them and makes it easier to get behind them.

I mean the problem is that people think there's a science to it. You can never really guess who's going to get over and why. You can approximate what might work but it's never a guarantee. Sometimes people just connect with people

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Anyone who pays wwe money to have a bullshit job at wwe is the definition of a mark and doesn't deserve any respect.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

VJeff posted:

Isn't that the other schlub?

I think it's for anyone who isn't officially with wwe but wants to be part of the pre ppv shows and all that.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

MassRafTer posted:

I am sure everyone involved wanted to do the Roundtable and enjoyed it.

Imagine how much you would want to die if your dad had your girlfriend on his podcast to talk about something she doesn't like. I just keep thinking about Bryan of Street Fight Radio. His daughter is so mortified that she doesn't want her Bryan even telling people he's a podcast.

Every episode Gwen is on is the best too.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Like a mainstay of wrestling should be having midcard gatekeepers but WWE doesn't even have that because everyone is just hovering in this similar area.

We’ve talked about this before. It’s about the BRAND!!

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

coconono posted:

good booking should be able to explained to a casual viewer in one sentence or less. "He's mad because his girlfriend left him" "coffee incident backstage" "white economic anxiety" "he's really really really gay"

That’s because the storytelling is really supposed to be done in the ring. The reason they’re fighting should always be simple, and the match should be where the actual storytelling comes into play. Wwe makes everything overly complicated where it shouldn’t be. They also like to try and subvert things no one wants are asked to be subverted. So all that happens is that people get confused because you’re doing something weird to something that should be pretty easy.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Big Huski Boi posted:

And they can't tell stories in the ring because every match has to be wrestled the same way

Yeah that really is a big thing. The lack of different styles of wrestling really does lend everything to feel exactly the same, but even with the wwe style you can still tell a compelling story line in the ring. I also think wwe just has way too much tv time. Doing a three hour and a two hour show every week plus a 4 hour ppv every month just makes everything feel like a waste.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

CombineThresher posted:

Which is weird, because good comedy wrestlers are guys who use character interaction and personality to get over and don't do crazy moves/take crazy bumps that much, so it means more when they do. Guys like Cassidy (and Colt Cabana, to use another example) have an old school work ethic in that way, and they'd slot into midcard/upper midcard roles very comfortably because they're good workers in the traditional sense. I also think Cody and co. have a better sense of how to book comedy guys than, say, Vince does.

I also think to be a good comedy guy you have to have a super good understanding of what goes into a wrestling match. Because you have to know what goes into a match to be able to subvert it and make it funny.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Yeah Drew in PWG sold me so hard on him that I have to agree with Dave. Not to mention that most of Lance Archers career has been a joke about his tramp stamp. He’s stepped it up a lot recently though. Drew is the complete package.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

He's talking about how good the Bret documentary is, then just drops in something like "even University Of Toronto professor Jordan Peterson says it's the best documentary about anything ever", apropos of nothing.

Sounds like he was just looking for a cheap appeal to authority.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Low Desert Punk posted:

i feel like people are putting a draw on the same level as a DQ or ref stoppage as far as being a gently caress finish and it really isn't. these are guys that might take over 30 minutes to beat another elite talent, it's perfectly reasonable that they wouldn't be able to finish each other off within the TV time remaining.

It's a really good storytelling device and I think people will agree once it's more established as a legitimate finish

Tv is when you’re supposed to do the gently caress finishes and the count out endings. You’re building to the big PPV match. Wwe is stupid because they did the stupid ending for a PPV match.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Defiance Industries posted:

I listened to their first couple episodes and am surprised they managed to get worse. At first their gimmick was "we recap Raw like on every other show but one of us is A LADY!!!! WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THAT???" I didn't think they could dig down.

That was me when I tried listening to the first couple eps too. They all sounded like they got into wrestling a month ago.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Does anyone have the video from the interview where Moxley is talking about the skill saw spot from one of the tournaments of death?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Dave has the strongest posters spirit I’ve ever seen. All that man does is post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

I don’t get why this is the hill he wants to die on. He’s already moved his goalposts too. First he was saying it’s too violent and now he’s saying well it just wasn’t very good. Even though you know it’s the only match anyone has talked about in the last few days.