Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Jubs posted:

Um...it came out that Paige was the abuser in this situation.

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Dave taking the most time to say "I don't know when/if they'll be back" is a very Dave thing.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

watch out better wear your oven mitts these scoops are hot hot hot !!

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Oh loving hell, are we really doing this here?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I normally don't have a problem with Filthy on shows, but holy poo poo Tom, stop ranting like a sports talk caller about how that one dude blew it at the end of the Saints/Vikings game. Lord.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Low Desert Punk posted:

you wanna hear 30 minutes of Jim screaming

I'll pass.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Oh my god, The Velveetan Dream

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

exploded mummy posted:

They didn't have a Tits, Whips, and Buff match

Tits, Whips, and Buff match.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Just reminding everyone that Wrestlesplania remains a good, depraved listen, and their latest episode with Stokely Hathaway is cool and fun. They're the yin to Meltzer's verbose yang.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Go RV! posted:

Agreeing.

I'm really happy that non-traditional wrestlefans are starting podcasts and getting popular. Wrestlesplania, the Nobodies, I think maximum fun has one too? It's a good time for wrestlefans.

Are there any theater nerd podcasts who dissect wrestling matches/angles in academic terms, because I feel like that is an untapped market. Actually talking and critiquing wrestling as an art form.

I tried listening to MaxFun's and didn't manage to get through an episode... Should I go back and give it another shot?

Also, I don't know if it's necessarily appropriate here, but in terms of dissecting wrestling as an art form, there's always Showbuckle's awesome videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx_pZWrHCng

e: Also, I should mention that channel and RealNeatPuro are great resources for new-ish wrestling fans to get acquainted with NJPW. I dunno how many new-ish fans frequent this thread, but can't hurt to mention.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

And I mean, I'm not convinced Rachel doesn't own a fish costume, so...

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

EdsTeioh posted:

Man, after hearing a lot of positive word of mouth about Something to Wrestle With for a while, I finally decided to give it a listen today. I am...uh...yeah, I can't even finish this. How are these guys so highly regarded? Am I missing something?
That was my take after listening to it, as well. I managed to get through the episode, but I really just... didn't enjoy listening to Pritchard speak.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

It's a good podcast.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

algebra testes posted:

They didn't even get costs, which blows my mind, except us courts are dumb and stupid so it doesn't really.

Being forced to pay costs if I lost a case would stop me from going to court in the first place even if I felt I had a good chance, so I’m not sure it’s actually as stupid as it sounds.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

CascadeBeta posted:

The problem is that would hurt someone like WWE way less than you think and hurt people with valid complaints far more.
Yeah, that’s basically what I was trying to say. But also I’m not a lawyer of any sort and I don’t wanna derail too far down a rabbit hole I don’t know poo poo about.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Meltzer please for the love of God don't defend a doctor screwing one of their patients :cripes:

He doubled down on it today, too, saying it happens frequently. I don't know what about the situation doesn't seem to click in his mind.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

He's not wrong, it's just a lovely, defeatist attitude that a bunch of people in places/positions of privilege have about a vast range of topics.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

illcendiary posted:

But I guess my point is this. When you do something lovely, it’s not wrong for someone to call you out, and when you apologize and the apology kinda sucks, it’s not wrong to get called out on that either. Doesn’t have to be a referendum on the totality of the person.

So, I'll try to avoid being incendiary, but Dave absolutely did address that his initial apology on Twitter was poorly worded and that he wasn't thinking enough about it. To be fair, it was like... 27 minutes into the apology, so I don't blame someone for not remembering that. He's also been active on Twitter and doubly so on this morning's WOR saying pretty plainly that he appreciates people who stuck up for him, but he absolutely did gently caress up and needed to apologize.
Like, I'm someone who I think understood what he'd attempted to say originally, still thought it was really not cool, and that his initial apology wasn't very good either. What he said on WOR went a long way to rectifying that, and I do think there's some merit to the people piling on being disingenuous in their criticism.

EugeneJ posted:

Also wanted to avoid a HIPAA violation lawsuit, I'd guess.

But then trying to goad him into stating her medical situation/reveal his source is an rear end in a top hat move since they know he can't.
This, however, is such a poo poo hot banger of a post I can't not quote it again.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

triplexpac posted:

I've been listening to Bischoff's podcast out of morbid curiosity. It's so weird how he spends the show bashing Meltzer, while at the same time using the Observer as a source for every talking point. Sometimes he disputes what's reported, sometimes he says it's correct.
IIRC, that's the case on Bruce Pritchard's podcast as well.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

that's an incredibly low bar to clear, though.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Your Parents posted:

Dude the sinister minister tricked Allie into giving up her soul and becoming trapped in the Undead Realm and then Rosemary and Su Yung shot undertaker lightning at each other. It was incredible.

and then you got some incredibly russo-esque booking in the main event, so. win some, lose some.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Lid posted:

HE GOT COUNTED OUT FROM NOWHERE

I HAVE A VERY LARGE BRAIN IM GOOD AT MATH IM TOO SMART FOR THIS poo poo

I think this might be my favorite B&V moment of the year to this point?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

except tony was very much involved in the business. i'm willing to give the podcast by new fans and the podcast for new fans quite a bit of leeway when it comes to historical accuracy.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

What has Tony Hinchcliffe done in the wrestling industry? As far as I know he considered writing for WWE but turned it down and that’s it

ahaha gently caress i read that as schiavone. disregard me.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

is that seriously the cause of Nia and his normal flood of haters posting poo poo like this cause that's not even remotely offensive

People not understanding HIPAA is frustrating as hell.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

coach arguing back and forth with cole that being in a bear hug is actually a good thing because you get to rest is one of my favorite wwe clips ever.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Big Bidness posted:

The Lapsed Fan might be the podcast I've unsubscribed and re-subscribed to the most. Their deep dives cover so much interesting poo poo, but they think they're the funniest people on the planet and it gets to a point where I just can't take it anymore. I end up like Homer Simpson watching Garrison Keillor

I haven't listened in a long time, so I think I'm ready for the World Class series. I'm sure after I'm done with it, I'll unsubscribe for another year.

it might be the only time where i've actually wanted the people involved in a show to turn it into a dry historical account rather than attempting to liven things up by telling jokes.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

How far have they gotten with uploading old observers? I was thinking about subbing for a month to grab a bunch

i believe it's complete from 1991-2001, then spotty in the mid 00s, and complete from like, mid '08 onward?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

dave's been on fire the last few WORs, tbh. that whole cruise bit from today was hilarious.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

a year or so of listening to dave murder the english language on a near-daily basis may shield me from how his words appear to others, but the uproar after that always struck me as people purposefully being as disingenuous as they could possibly be in their interpretation of what was actually said. taking potshots at the least charitable interpretation of someone's words to score points with their employer.

e: iirc he ended up saying she was "lighter" in nxt, which a bunch of people interpreted as either shaming her for getting implants or saying she got fat (neither of which are valid interpretations, imo). he said he found their act more interesting in nxt, and that her makeover and the act on the main roster do nothing for him.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 10, 2019

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

mkay0 posted:

It was actually Dave speaking in his dumbass code-speak to avoid saying ‘she wrestled much better before she got fake tits, and looked better too’. Honestly, a correct take, but not really an analysis I think is worth paying for.

Only those of us who listen to him constantly know what he meant, because he constantly talks in that guarded way. Normies were critical of him talking about her weight, because he literally spoke in terms about her weight.

I’m not some ‘woke’ performance artist - I cancelled because I wasn’t listening often because I don’t really follow wwe or ufc as much, and didn’t see the need to pay $12/month for titty talk and then lived without it for a few months.

I’m honestly sorry I brought this poo poo up, sorry for loving up the thread.

None of the discussion has been aimed at you, so I’m not really sure why you’re seemingly feeling put upon.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

that's 100% the best part of lance.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i just read that vcrwrestling dude's twitter thread where he just posts like, 6 minutes of observer radio after having listened to the wor itself, and i have zero clue where the controversy is supposed to be. not to bring the conversation back to it again, but this isn't even remotely close to being as controversial as his comments about peyton royce.
the only thing that i think could be interpreted as a negative is when he talks about how when bad things happen, sometimes that ends up taking your career to a better place and used the example of how nia being sloppy with becky ended up giving her the biggest push of her career.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

got a lot of bix's on this forum these days, my god.

one was already one too many! :hehe:

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

ICHIBAHN posted:

Anyone listened to the Lapsed Fan court transcript all the way? Does it ever get funny?

much like everything else about the lapsed fan, no.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Holy poo poo this granny segment is amazing I’m dying

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

as much as i love bryan sending dave headlong into a tangent with every topic, i do like garrett shows as a change of pace, they're a bit more conversational.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i'm a bit surprised vinny and bryan were as high on the show as they were. i thought absolutely nothing stood out aside from how bad the iiconics match was and how good the brock/rollins match was (despite being largely the same thing as four months ago).

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

this q and a has some prime dave. there was no bryan there to keep him in check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I don't know who these people are and I'm sure they're fun or whatever but this clip made me never want to watch anything they do

Blown out audio with yelling

wrestlesplania is a good podcast, but everything they do that isn't the podcast has almost universally hosed audio and i don't know why.