Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Bracer, Boots, Bracer, Radiance is the only way I know how to play Necro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
the dota2 wiki is moving from fandom to liquipedia which is fantastic news https://liquipedia.net/dota2game/Main_Page

not everything is converted yet but it's a much better home for this project

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh man.

I know it's good, but it's going to take my browser FOREVER to catch on and suggest the wikia instead of recommending... any of the other liquipedia stuff I use.

I never regularly use any Fandom site but the DOTA one, so I can just type in "fan" into my address bar and the first link it autopopulates is of course dota2.fandom.com/wiki/ so then I can just type in the name of the hero/item I'm looking for and it's super convenient.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Sab669 posted:

Oh man.

I know it's good, but it's going to take my browser FOREVER to catch on and suggest the wikia instead of recommending... any of the other liquipedia stuff I use.

I never regularly use any Fandom site but the DOTA one, so I can just type in "fan" into my address bar and the first link it autopopulates is of course dota2.fandom.com/wiki/ so then I can just type in the name of the hero/item I'm looking for and it's super convenient.

I set up keyword search in my browser so "dota <x>" just searches the dota wiki for <x>

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Firefox doesn't seem to allow me to just add some arbitrary site to search;

If I click "Find more search engines", it just gives me a list of browser extensions to install. To which I say, lolno.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Oh, it's in bookmarks not search engines:

e: also there's an easy way to set it up, just right click on the search field on the page you want and there's an option for "Add a keyword for this search" (deets here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-search-from-address-bar?redirectslug=Smart+keywords&redirectlocale=en-US)

Plank Walker fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 15, 2024

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh neat

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Sab669 posted:

Bracer, Boots, Bracer, Radiance is the only way I know how to play Necro

My buddy plays a lot of necro and he rages out on mic when he sees any allied necro go radiance in an even/losing game lol

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Man just had a disappointing game. I did BB offlane, with Ursa safe lane. We were stomping them all game. At the end end, like 40 min, we were just fountain farming them, but no one noticed their Tiny was just backdoor us, and we lost with like 10 HP on their Ancient. I'm super pissed it was like 50-20 and they had no chance but I just didn't notice Tiny throwing us.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Spiking posted:

My buddy plays a lot of necro and he rages out on mic when he sees any allied necro go radiance in an even/losing game lol

I've definitely had a few pubbies voice their opinions about Radiance Bad, and maybe it is outdated, but IDK how you play the hero otherwise. It just makes it so much more efficiently to farm.

But I'm open to the idea that like a more Veil/Shiva's focused build might be a more modern and potentially better way to play him so :shrug:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sab669 posted:

I've definitely had a few pubbies voice their opinions about Radiance Bad, and maybe it is outdated, but IDK how you play the hero otherwise. It just makes it so much more efficiently to farm.

But I'm open to the idea that like a more Veil/Shiva's focused build might be a more modern and potentially better way to play him so :shrug:

idk but I saw a Necro once have 300 HP regen / sec, and he just walked around death pulsing 1v5 and wiped out the entire other team while they just ran in circles around him.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

I think it's pretty matchup dependent now. I think the best necro farm item is shard TBH for the instant wave kill of shard - q.

Still radiance is a good team item against certain matchups

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Spiking posted:

Radiance is a teamfighting item that a lot of pubbies still view as a farming item. The miss chance aura is so absurdly good in teamfights, especially on a hero like necro who usually lands in the middle of the enemy team and starts PLAGUE SPREADING. I had a game on necro the other day where the enemy team did a good job shutting me down mid and my radiance was massively delayed til like 20 minutes- the offlane void spirit (figures) was screaming not to go radiance against SBreaker, magnus, bloodseeker, slark and was extremely wrong about it.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'm beginning to believe that AA is a better Sniper than Sniper.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I'm beginning to believe that AA is a better Sniper than Sniper.

Remember a few patches ago when mid AA was a thing. The guy was a Gatling cannon with his ags

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Man i played a couple tiny games and you really can just level almost anyone with ava toss combo, 2 echo saber hits, and a khanda tree throw in quick succession

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

scott zoloft posted:

Man i played a couple tiny games and you really can just level almost anyone with ava toss combo, 2 echo saber hits, and a khanda tree throw in quick succession

At Herald I hate playing "go in and initiate" heroes. You jump in, and your team ... all goes back to farming. I've gotten three or four hero calls, get them all down to 1hp with a million spins, and then just nothing.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Super-NintendoUser posted:

At Herald I hate playing "go in and initiate" heroes. You jump in, and your team ... all goes back to farming. I've gotten three or four hero calls, get them all down to 1hp with a million spins, and then just nothing.

"go in and initiate" heroes are a trap, you want heroes that can go in and then get out (slark, slardar kinda, cent if he ults out, the spirits), or heroes that can reposition them (venge, pudge, kunkka). tide and axe feel better when they jump in a little bit after the fight has started because then they're pretty much committed to dying or winning the whole fight

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Should also get used to announcing what you're doing or want to do into mic even if you think no one is listening. I find if i consistently narrate goals and needs in a way that's helpful people are more likely to play on your page. Alert for areas to be careful of etc

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Just came out of an awful game where safelane picked silencer but then he went to offlane for the first five minutes. When I asked him to come bot, he started complaining that he didnt' want to lane against Undying, which is fine but you can't just go to the wrong lane and not tell anyone, make your offlane have no farm, and expect a disruptor to solo lane. Then he got mad, fed about ten kills, and then decided to start actually playing but at that point we were so far behind it didn't matter, so then he started flaming. I'd have DCed but I didn't want to eat an abandon.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

scott zoloft posted:

Should also get used to announcing what you're doing or want to do into mic even if you think no one is listening. I find if i consistently narrate goals and needs in a way that's helpful people are more likely to play on your page. Alert for areas to be careful of etc

Yeah no one can read minds. Someone calling shots, even if they’re not even the best calls, is generally really helpful in a pub game.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
I've gotten a lot better about not raging or blaming when trying to direct a game, and my games have been better in every way for it. Simple poo poo like instead of calling not attention to mistakes just rephrase as "let's recollect, regroup, and do it this way next time". If someone on your team is being negative, remaining a consistent positive anchor will also likely attract better coordination. Good dota is largely a game about being consistent in all its little subsystems and positive rallying language is another thing to maximize

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
One thing I've noticed about comms in low rank dota is how important it is not to dwell on past mistakes, whether it being apologizing too much about a bad call of your own or calling out a bad performance in a fight. Best to just call out enemy weaknesses and look to the future and make announcements when you want to make a move. Asking to many questions like "should we go?" can be too distracting by inviting too much discussion and causing doubt and delays.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I played another mid AA game last night. It's so good to have enough right-click range to pick off any supports in a fight no matter where they are.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
teaguv's patch waiting room has started which usually means a major patch is coming out within a day or two https://www.twitch.tv/teaguvnor

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Is there actually a patch coming or has the internet once again tricked itself into thinking that a patch is coming any minute now

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

They delayed the big Crownfall patch from about a month ago to “mid-April” in a blog post for the last patch. It’s past the midpoint of April so people are getting very antsy.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Not only is it real but so is the new hero o_O

Should start cribbing old original hon heroes and porting them in 😈

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
I miss nomad, deadwood, engineer, electrician, and that goofy ranged strength push/pull robot.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Stan Taylor posted:

Is there actually a patch coming or has the internet once again tricked itself into thinking that a patch is coming any minute now

basically teaguv claims to be guessing based on available info, but he's always more or less correct (has never had a waiting room longer than 48 hrs). and since he is a prominent caster who has met valve employees and went to the trouble of cooking up a stardew mod, it kind of defies belief that he would be doing it completely on speculation

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

emdash posted:

basically teaguv claims to be guessing based on available info, but he's always more or less correct (has never had a waiting room longer than 48 hrs). and since he is a prominent caster who has met valve employees and went to the trouble of cooking up a stardew mod, it kind of defies belief that he would be doing it completely on speculation

it's also very possible that a release was pegged for yesterday/today but a major bug, likely with Rubick stealing the new hero abilities, was discovered last minute.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

it's also very possible that a release was pegged for yesterday/today but a major bug, likely with Rubick stealing the new hero abilities, was discovered last minute.

i mean puppetmaster implies he can control other heroes and potentially use their spells so i wonder what happens when a puppetmaster grabs rubick who steals morph from morphling then both of them morph into puppetmasters

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Valve usually patches on tuesdays

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Valve usually patches on tuesdays

7.35 was on a Thursday (12/14/23)
7.34 Was on a SundayTuesday (8/8/23)
7.33 Was on a Thursday (4/20/23 (nice))

I'm not gonna keep looking at old major patches past this but you can if you want to it's just all on liquipedia

e: October is not the 8th month gently caress you Ceasar

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 18, 2024

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Dang it, I had a decent offlane Abba game going, had some lag so I exited DOTES and when I came back I was DCed and 30 min banned.

Ugh.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
well there's a new lore comic, been a while since we had one of those

no clear indication about update release tho https://www.dota2.com/newsentry/7428199535674663482

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Dang it, I had a decent offlane Abba game going, had some lag so I exited DOTES and when I came back I was DCed and 30 min banned.

Ugh.

Lpq summons you champion

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

emdash posted:

well there's a new lore comic, been a while since we had one of those

no clear indication about update release tho https://www.dota2.com/newsentry/7428199535674663482

Skywrath and Venge Arcanas let's loving go

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I don't wanna see skywrath in all my games though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

i do, as long as they're on the enemy team