Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

mistermojo posted:

This is complete nonsense dude. not a single part of of it sounds plausible

I mean if I break it down into its component parts it's

1) Software dev estimate is wrong
2) Reddit stupid and whiny
3) Not the end of the world

so it'd be interesting to know why none of those sound plausible to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

wait no it wouldn't

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
In defence of volvo....

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

All I'm saying is, it's a really bad look to announce a new hero and not release it for more than half a year while putting out an update that does nothing but include more ways for you to give Valve money.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

NtotheTC posted:

I mean if I break it down into its component parts it's

1) Software dev estimate is wrong
2) Reddit stupid and whiny
3) Not the end of the world

so it'd be interesting to know why none of those sound plausible to you

Valve isnt going to listen to reddit but more importantly this was clearly a planned update, they didnt scramble at the last minute to change it. Just the website takes weeks of work and planning

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Sab669 posted:

All I'm saying is, it's a really bad look to announce a new hero and not release it for more than half a year while putting out an update that does nothing but include more ways for you to give Valve money.

It looks like everything can be obtained without paying or playing slots this time though. Or am i wrong on that

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

mistermojo posted:

Valve isnt going to listen to reddit but more importantly this was clearly a planned update, they didnt scramble at the last minute to change it. Just the website takes weeks of work and planning

I wasn't suggesting they threw together a patch just for clown day, I'm saying that they planned for a mid april release, reddit decided that day was clown day (it wasnt clown day) and the full gameplay + crownfall wasn't ready so they just released the crownfall part

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

People would be disappointed but a lot more understanding if Valve had said "We know it's a year since the last large content update for DotA 2, but the gameplay and content changes of Crownfall we were aiming to release now simply aren't ready yet. *amusing bug anecdote here* The community has been asking for new cosmetics so we've decided to release the first portion of our cosmetic update, while we work to get you the content update as fast as we can."

Or, if this was planned from the start, it should've had some expectation setting in advance.

Valve is shockingly bad at communication so instead they (possibly accidentally) hyped the community for the update and then left us upset and unsure if Crownfall is supposed to include a major gameplay update. They've somehow managed expectations much worse than simply saying "soon™".

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 19, 2024

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Valve doesn't communicate a ton but it does feel like the last several blog posts for updates, going back to the frostivus one, have all said "sorry no arcanas with this one, those are coming later" so it doesn't feel completely out of left field for the arcanas to show up later, out of sync with the real updates.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

People would be disappointed but a lot more understanding if Valve had said "We know it's a year since the last large content update for DotA 2, but the gameplay and content changes of Crownfall we were aiming to release now simply aren't ready yet. *amusing bug anecdote here* The community has been asking for new cosmetics so we've decided to release the first portion of our cosmetic update, while we work to get you the content update as fast as we can."

Or, if this was planned from the start, it should've had some expectation setting in advance.

Valve is shockingly bad at communication so instead they (possibly accidentally) hyped the community for the update and then left us upset and unsure if Crownfall is supposed to include a major gameplay update. They've somehow managed expectations much worse than simply saying "soon™".

Yea, it's really just a communication & expectations issue.

If people ever knew what to expect from Valve, they wouldn't be disappointed.

scott zoloft posted:

It looks like everything can be obtained without paying or playing slots this time though. Or am i wrong on that

Well you're definitely not getting free Arcanas, which is fine, but even if all of it WAS able to be gotten for free my issue isn't the dollar amount my issue is the "It's literally just a Hats Only update". It seems absolutely nuts to me to go on about ~CROWNFALL~ and giving your patch a name and all that poo poo, and then there's literally no gameplay tweaks whatsoever.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

if you complete the 4 chapters it looks like you'll be able to get the 2 arcanas for $14 (unless the discount can only be applied once? it's a little vague, it would be $40 for both if so)

compare that to a battlepass where an arcana is what, $100 realistically with battle levels

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 19, 2024

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

you can also get arcanas from the candy roulette system

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
I thought i read every 10 coins you earn from the boardgame gets you like 7.99 in credit and most poo poo costs 7.99 or increments of 7.99. Can you only use one 7.99 credit at a time or something? I plan on just stacking coins til the thing is over and see what i can redeem toward the end

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
I was divine 1 for a day and then lost all games with the double downs lol

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The event would be better if the Crownfall coins were crypto obviously.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://store.steampowered.com/app/683730/CrownFall/ drat what an update

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh if double downs are back in I might have to start playing ranked again, those always get people riled up when you announce it

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Ranked is crazy right now. It's like 50/50 you get a smurf on your team or someone that hasn't played the game in 2 years.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Crownfall seems to have gotten quite a number of players back.

Including me. Ah, Dota.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

only the return of old techies could get me back in at this point

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Peak players highest since Oct 2022. People love events like this 🤷🏻‍♂️

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

The tremendous playercount spike compared to how much wailing and gnashing of teeth there was on update night is truly a sight to behold

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

My games are way, way less predictable now with the returning players and people picking stuff for map tokens. Enemy team picks pos 5 QOP and you assume it'll be a disaster and instead the pos 5 QOP does better than anyone on your team.

I think my favorite thing that happened in a game since the patch was when the enemy PA, who only had like 5 kills up until that point, roshed around min 40 and then bought a rapier and caught us completely off guard and won the game with it.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
start picking very wide range player skill matches for the most fun :getin:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

did you know that if you kill someone with your vendetta strike it doesn't count for the "get x kills from invisibility" quest

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

This event owns I got a monkey king Arcana out of the candy shop I've won 18/20 games life is good.

You can use the coins to make the Royal bundle thing free and buy it multiple times, I've gotten 10 coins out of rerolling now twice as an option and that gives you 30 more candies and 10 more rerolls

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
My turbos have been real bad. The classic case of my team having no coordination or afk junglers and the other team being navy seals.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Uncle Spriggly posted:

My turbos have been real bad. The classic case of my team having no coordination or afk junglers and the other team being navy seals.

I've been requeueing any time dota plus tells me the skill range isn't moderate or better and brother it's been the best $4 a month of my life

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

8000 behavior score very wide skill range turbs have been sick just smashing the best carry /offlane/mid hero for the tokens I need

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

flashman posted:

This event owns I got a monkey king Arcana out of the candy shop I've won 18/20 games life is good.

You can use the coins to make the Royal bundle thing free and buy it multiple times, I've gotten 10 coins out of rerolling now twice as an option and that gives you 30 more candies and 10 more rerolls

can you get the discount coins out of the caravan? that's crazy I need to unlock it already

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Zeruel posted:

can you get the discount coins out of the caravan? that's crazy I need to unlock it already

Yeah I got 10 discount counts each time, twice so far.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I think I love monkey King

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I have a hard time succeeding as monkey king seems like lane is super good and I sort of peter out maybe because of my items or I'm team fighting poorly.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
A couple highlights:

• Had a game with a last pick Safelane Witch Doctor. We all flamed him, but he just kept saying "trust me". I was his p5 Abba. All game the other side was all chating flaming my laning since they figured I was carry. It was a very hard lane, and WD kept pushing the creeps. His build was Shard -> Aghs -> Glimmer Game -> SnY. After about 20 minutes he just went ham and killed everyone over and over. I went holy locket, greeves, and aghs, so I was a healing machine and kept him safe whenever Huskar would go on him. WD Carry is a weird counter to armet Huskar, since Maledict punshes huskar for using his health. It was a wild game
  • next game with Safe Lane Enigma. He said to us "This is how the pros play" and then muted us all and promptly went off to jungle. I was P5 WW, because he Jungled I was able to get quite a bit of farm, since WW is decent at lane with splinter blast. The game was a one sided stomp, we were losing hard. In the first 30 minutes engima did only one blackhole that he stacked with a four man curse, wasting both ults. It was terrible. However since we had a snuper and WW we held HG for a while. Eventually Enigma came out of Jungle with blink, refresher, and BKB and since the other team was so cocky we got two huge black holes, wiped them and then won.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

flashman posted:

I have a hard time succeeding as monkey king seems like lane is super good and I sort of peter out maybe because of my items or I'm team fighting poorly.

I really liked him at first because Jingu encourages you to trade in lane and my higher mmr friend told me I played lanes too passively but it's really the mobility from primal spring that I love

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

They did such a good job with Abaddon’s talents, each tier feels like a tough choice and you can really lean into a build or pivot as needed. We’ve come so far from the days of +8str vs +10agi talents, which were still interesting choices but definitely not exciting ones.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Geight posted:

They did such a good job with Abaddon’s talents, each tier feels like a tough choice and you can really lean into a build or pivot as needed. We’ve come so far from the days of +8str vs +10agi talents, which were still interesting choices but definitely not exciting ones.

Abba is my go to in all positions, except Mid (which I never queue for). He's super boring but always reliable. In low monkey business mmr brackets, people just run at you, and he's one of the best stall out and absorb while your team realizes they have buttons to click heroes.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I need to earn 2 Ranged tokens and so I have been attempting to play Drow and I am coming to the unfortunate realisation that I cannot play Drow.

I mean I can't play Dota in general but I especially cannot play Drow. I don't get it. You stand there and shoot things and somehow it doesn't work and the enemies just smack my face and kill me anyway

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Drow’s multi-shot and silence are huge team fight abilities. Maybe wait to join a fight until you can get a 3 man silence into multi-shot and ruin their day rather than plink away with frost arrows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I like when my team understands the assignment after getting run over by a bristleback for the first half of the game.

I'm the 4th player there and spent teamfights making the enemy luna and/or lina cry as Razor

(Yes, this is turbo)

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 24, 2024