Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I would strongly suggest that if you like comboing stuff then you ask your group to at least try a more cooperative style of gameplay for like, maybe 3 scenarios. And if they still don't see the value of cooperation and/or they don't think it's fun then go back to what you were doing

And yeah I really hate to say this but it sounds like your friends are kinda bad. And that's OK because that's what difficulty settings are for! But if they don't see how "move and attack every round" without thinking about anything else is harmful to your success then IDK what advice to give

But I mean as long as they're still having fun then maybe just get rid of the house rule that you have to play what you unlock. Choosing your next class is RAW anyway. That alone will probably be enough to make things more interesting and fun

Also I don't really think bringing in Sun from GH is going to be super broken, unless it has a whole bunch of enhancements. If that's your friend's play style then let it rock. Just don't let anyone play the top tier :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I'd go further and recommend not bringing over enhancements at all. Use the fh costs for new ones.

Definitely use the crossover sheets.

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
Unfortunately I do believe it's full of enhancements. Lots of blesses added to moves I think. Friends hate the new enhancement system and I sorta do too? Mostly because it feels like there's nothing most cards can enhance aside from the odd +1 to an attack or heal or move. Not very exciting. There's gotta be a middleground where you can add curses/blesses/status to more things without breaking the game like, idk make it 200 gold to put a curse on a thing so you can 'earn' the ability to spam curses on one of your cards or something.

I guess that would probably be an easy sell for a house rule like that one guy said but like, I have to imagine there's something better than "every card has disarm and curse" and "you'll take +1 move and be happy about it" for the actual rules.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Ledgem posted:

Unfortunately I do believe it's full of enhancements. Lots of blesses added to moves I think. Friends hate the new enhancement system and I sorta do too? Mostly because it feels like there's nothing most cards can enhance aside from the odd +1 to an attack or heal or move. Not very exciting. There's gotta be a middleground where you can add curses/blesses/status to more things without breaking the game like, idk make it 200 gold to put a curse on a thing so you can 'earn' the ability to spam curses on one of your cards or something.

I guess that would probably be an easy sell for a house rule like that one guy said but like, I have to imagine there's something better than "every card has disarm and curse" and "you'll take +1 move and be happy about it" for the actual rules.
Blesses can't be added to moves in Gloomhaven.

I'm recommending you take them off before using them in Frosthaven. :)

Using money as a gate to allow broken enhancements creates a "win more" loop that sucked the challenge out of late GH. Broken poo poo means higher level which means more gold which means more broken poo poo.

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
oh i meant moves as in abilities, not specifically movement. sorry.

I don't think I'll be able to convince her to take them off. She wants to see if she'll "break the game" with it contrasting against frosthaven... We might be able to get her to stop if it does though.

Would curses on stuff be more viable if there was like, a smaller cap on how many can be in a deck? That was a thing we did enjoy in gloomhaven when we had musical note around. there's always a shout of joy when a miss/curse is flipped.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Having trouble with your human party members not collaborating? Screw those guys, play diamonds, make your own party.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I'm going to echo that it sounds like your friends are kind of bad at the game from a purely mechanical perspective. That being said, if you're all having fun then I'm not going to judge too hard.

My only difficulty when playing Trap is that my play group has someone who goes very aggro all the time, which leads to an extremely high tempo for most scenarios. That could make it difficult to really set up the way you'd ideally want to. It was still fun though, Trap has some extremely good control and support powers. There were at least a couple of scenarios that I effectively trivialized by being able to mess with the monster AI.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Ledgem posted:

oh i meant moves as in abilities, not specifically movement. sorry.

I don't think I'll be able to convince her to take them off. She wants to see if she'll "break the game" with it contrasting against frosthaven... We might be able to get her to stop if it does though.

Would curses on stuff be more viable if there was like, a smaller cap on how many can be in a deck? That was a thing we did enjoy in gloomhaven when we had musical note around. there's always a shout of joy when a miss/curse is flipped.
You can still fill the deck with curses with a few classes. It's just not trivial like it was in GH1e.

Curses can be added to a lot of attacks still - there's a ton of diamonds. You'll pay for it, or put it on a loss, but part of the philosophy of the game moving forward is that monsters generally get turns.

What you won't find is diamonds on low level large nonloss AoEs. Cursenado is not remotely healthy for the game, any more than Music Note was as a whole. Two classes working together can do it much better than just a single class - have two of Boneshaper, Astral 4+, Kelp, or Shackles.

Re: sun - yes she'll break the game. Idk, man. I don't get it. Just play lower difficulty if you want to steamroll poo poo.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ledgem posted:

Also I wanna add, we don't wanna steamroll the game.Or at least I don't.

Ledgem posted:

Yeah i mean like dwarf said she's unfortunately just going to.

Thinking about it more I think just the big point of dissonance between how your group experienced Gloomhaven and how they are seemingly bummed out by Frosthaven comes down to this quote from when you were talking about a locked FH class:

Ledgem posted:

setup _just_ for an attack 5 or whatever. Attack five isn't that fancy! It's boring!

Cause like yeah in FH attack 5 kind of is fancy! Like the class balance is just different, it's not necessarily worse or incompatible with Gloomhaven but stuff has been rebalanced to keep certain obvious degenerate combos from turning the game into a clear one-sided stomp. It might not be your intention to carry this aspect over but if you are subconsciously or consciously comparing every single FH class you unlock to some of the more obviously overtooled GH classes like Sun, Eclipse, etc those are always going to be unfavorable comparisons.

I do totally get that it can be fun to come up with an insane combo that one shots a boss or clears a room in 2 turns and like people have been saying those combos are still possible they are just not as automatic as they are with Eclipse or Music Note, and yeah Sun was not in that highest broken tier but it's strengths were also just pushed in a way that's been cut out of Frosthaven.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Horatius Bonar posted:

Having trouble with your human party members not collaborating? Screw those guys, play diamonds, make your own party.

funny story about that

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah i mean like dwarf said she's unfortunately just going to.

Thinking about it more I think just the big point of dissonance between how your group experienced Gloomhaven and how they are seemingly bummed out by Frosthaven comes down to this quote from when you were talking about a locked FH class:

Cause like yeah in FH attack 5 kind of is fancy! Like the class balance is just different, it's not necessarily worse or incompatible with Gloomhaven but stuff has been rebalanced to keep certain obvious degenerate combos from turning the game into a clear one-sided stomp.

I do totally get that it can be fun to come up with an insane combo that one shots a boss or clears a room in 2 turns and like people have been saying those combos are still possible they are just not as automatic as they are with Eclipse or Music Note

Was the design intention just to make the game breaking combos a little less obvious, or to tone down the power level overall? I feel like you can still do really busted things on several classes, since they decided to put like half a dozen variants of power potion in the game.

Edit: thinking about it more, GH1E was broken in a way where monster turns didn’t matter at all. We played +2/3 near the end of the campaign and it made no difference. Frosthaven +2 still feels challenging even using some of the more powerful combos.

mightygerm fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 4, 2024

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
If you want to do huge attacks and combos with relative ease then just play the class you already mentioned that you have unlocked Meteor

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

mightygerm posted:

Was the design intention just to make the game breaking combos a little less obvious, or to tone down the power level overall? I feel like you can still do really busted things on several classes, since they decided to put like half a dozen variants of power potion in the game.

Edit: thinking about it more, GH1E was broken in a way where monster turns didn’t matter at all. We played +2/3 near the end of the campaign and it made no difference. Frosthaven +2 still feels challenging even using some of the more powerful combos.
Yeah that's the heart of it - GH1e got busted in ways where level doesn't matter - executes, invisible, Stun, disarms, curse... Frosthaven and GH2e don't let you do that.

You've still got powerful characters and strong combos but you can't just skip the actual gameplay.

Also yeah nerf the power pots, like I said a long time ago. The game doesn't need them. But at least those work on an axis where monster stats still matter.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 4, 2024

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

If you want to do huge attacks and combos with relative ease then just play the class you already mentioned that you have unlocked Meteor

I did! I had fun with it. Retired last week. I've gotten lucky and been able to play both it and Coral. I love them both and am just worried my next one, Astral, won't be as fun. But I'm turning around on it the more I think about it. We'll find out on monday.

Like, I complain a bit about wanting cool combos more but like, I've _had_ them in both those classes. It's the other classes Im worried about. I'm the opposite of my friends, I'm not satisfied with one big hit. I wanna play into whatever gimmick lets me feel 'cheaty' like. Being able to have advantage on everything, I'll play into any gimmick for that. Or trying to build around bypassing enemy defenses by doing direct damage without attacking. If there was some combo that let me ignore elements after a few turns of setup I'd love that. I get my gaming high from feeling like i've circumvented the rules in some way. Like sequence breaking.

My friends are the ones who just wanna unga bunga hit with big stick. But the diamonds player, she won't play Meteor because of things I've said. My other friend is having a great time with the drifter cause he's simple enough, and Snowflake was her style too (she started with the blinkblade but said it was too 'big brained' for her and switched to Snowflake without even retiring. She's retiring drifter soon though I dunno who she's gonna play next...).

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Ledgem posted:

I did! I had fun with it. Retired last week. I've gotten lucky and been able to play both it and Coral. I love them both and am just worried my next one, Astral, won't be as fun. But I'm turning around on it the more I think about it. We'll find out on monday.

Like, I complain a bit about wanting cool combos more but like, I've _had_ them in both those classes. It's the other classes Im worried about. I'm the opposite of my friends, I'm not satisfied with one big hit. I wanna play into whatever gimmick lets me feel 'cheaty' like. Being able to have advantage on everything, I'll play into any gimmick for that. Or trying to build around bypassing enemy defenses by doing direct damage without attacking. If there was some combo that let me ignore elements after a few turns of setup I'd love that. I get my gaming high from feeling like i've circumvented the rules in some way. Like sequence breaking.
Have you unlocked Shackles?

Seems like that would be your ideal class, tbh. But Astral definitely has some huge potential for combo-ing off.

Honestly I'm shocked you didn't snap Trap up. You get a sick combination of direct damage, combo potential, huge numbers, and trivialzing certain scenarios.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
You're going to love Astral

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

Ledgem posted:

I'm blinkblade but said it was too 'big brained' for her and switched to Snowflake without even retiring. She's retiring drifter soon though I dunno who she's gonna play next...).

I'm playing Astral currently and I can assure you that you stop having to worry as much about elements as you gain levels. I don't generally need to do more than confirm with people about who is intending to use what elements in a given turn. Your modifier deck eventually starts just vomiting element generation whenever you attack anything. Combine that with your perk that lets you generate a single element during the initiative phase and the potions that let you ignore an element requirement and generate elements. All that together means you pretty much always have a panic button to be able to get off key abilities. And that's assuming nobody else is generating any of the elements you might need.

Mind you, I also have item 216. The tome is obviously great for Astral. It's probably technically better for someone else in the party to have it. It still makes a good panic button for the whole party though, and I just need to be thinking a turn ahead, which Astral needs to be doing anyhow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Ledgem posted:

My friends are the ones who just wanna unga bunga hit with big stick. But the diamonds player, she won't play Meteor because of things I've said. My other friend is having a great time with the drifter cause he's simple enough, and Snowflake was her style too (she started with the blinkblade but said it was too 'big brained' for her and switched to Snowflake without even retiring. She's retiring drifter soon though I dunno who she's gonna play next...).

You probably want to steer your friend towards Fist or Drill once they unlock. Though from the sound of it she probably should be playing a different game. Jaws of the Lion has several characters she might like.