Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Keep stuff out of sight if you can. Leaving stuff on your lawn, open shed doors, easy access windows are just show casing for addicts who wander around looking for stuff to steal when it gets dark.

99% of defense is prevention, as this thread shows. Those finger print quick-safes for guns that preppers have are basically just ticking time bombs counting down to when they shoot their wife or kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Have anyone tried the Home Alone method of staging it to look like there's constantly a party at your home?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

OP if this is a long term issue consider moving, possibly into an apartment.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Get a gun you liberal pussy

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Fill your home with microwave radiation like that one part of that MGS game.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Dogguns coming along nicely. Mounts currently fit the main dogs well, but the ammo breeding program is slow and costly. Will keep you posted.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I need to protect my punkins. Any advice?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Bum the Sad posted:

I need to protect my punkins. Any advice?

I’m now selling doggun setups. Entry level (1 Shih Tzu, doggun + harness, 10 rounds of ammo) is $12,000. All ammo dogs are bred for violence and will stop an intruder. That’s the DoggunTM guarantee

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

FrozenVent posted:

Disagree with "get a dog" being bad advice because dogs are awesome, get a dog OP.

Ours is so nice she'll lick a burglar until he reconsiders his life and decide to get an honest job.

My dog's a 35lb absurdly lean little jumpy cutie. Half yellow lab and half whippet. She never barks. She bays like a hound and points when something's amiss.

If someone is acting weird outside at any hour of the night. I'll be told about it. Plus the burglar will get nice kisses. Like you said, they'll just be forced to sit down and scratch her belly. Lest they be jumped upon for hours.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
I can't imagine what kind of person would not want to own a gun to defend themselves but are ready to brain a burglar with a bat or gut them with a knife.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

NihilismNow posted:

I can't imagine what kind of person would not want to own a gun to defend themselves but are ready to brain a burglar with a bat or gut them with a knife.

Maybe the kind that can’t touch guns without getting in some kind of trouble?

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

areyoucontagious posted:

Maybe the kind that can’t touch guns without getting in some kind of trouble?

That is a good reason. Does that include all firearms or are there loopholes? Could you arm yourself with a blackpowder revolver or a brace of pistols? How about crossbows?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

NihilismNow posted:

That is a good reason. Does that include all firearms or are there loopholes? Could you arm yourself with a blackpowder revolver or a brace of pistols? How about crossbows?

I used to know a convicted felon that would hunt bear with a black powder rifle, so I think you used to be able to use them like 15 years ago. No idea if that has changed.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

NihilismNow posted:

Uh uh. I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire one shot or only none?" Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 flintlock, the most powerful handgun in the world and would blow your head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
You really only have 2 options, a gun/alarm system/elaborate assortment of weapons that you'll literally never use unless it's your dog or wife scaring you in the middle of the night so now they don't have a head, OR, not living in fear.

Maybe you get a good lock on your door, but then you just chill the hell out. You're not gonna get robbed; if I'm wrong, you're dead, but there's a 99% chance that I'm right, so just spend the money on something else that'll make you happy, not feed an insecurity.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Quad posted:

Maybe you get a good lock on your door, but then you just chill the hell out. You're not gonna get robbed; if I'm wrong, you're dead, but there's a 99% chance that I'm right, so just spend the money on something else that'll make you happy, not feed an insecurity.

Like a dog.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

NihilismNow posted:

a lot harder to kill yourself or accidently kill someone else with a bat

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Grognan posted:

a lot harder to kill yourself or accidently kill someone else with a bat

Kill yourself, true, but kill someone else accidentally? No, that's pretty easy. More to the point if you're going to use deadly force (in the US), you should be ready to kill them because if you simply maim them you can be sued in some jurisdictions, or at least have a witness against you as to why you shouldn't have used force.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Shooting Blanks posted:

Kill yourself, true, but kill someone else accidentally? No, that's pretty easy. More to the point if you're going to use deadly force (in the US), you should be ready to kill them because if you simply maim them you can be sued in some jurisdictions, or at least have a witness against you as to why you shouldn't have used force.

Not "accidentally" kill someone rather than hurt or scare them, accidentally killing someone you didn't want to hurt at all.

If you're trying to attack someone with a bat it's going to become very obvious very quickly who it is, vs the shadowy figure you've shot at the other end of the yard or pitch black bottom of the stairs who is actually your husband.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Get a baseball bat and some acorn nuts and make a redneck kanabo. Or get a wooden fish bat if you want to dual wield them.

Caufman posted:

Have anyone tried the Home Alone method of staging it to look like there's constantly a party at your home?

While robbers are definitely anti-social they are not always ASOCIAL so that will only deter the gooniest of evildoers.

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 24, 2017

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Scudworth posted:

If you're trying to attack someone with a bat it's going to become very obvious very quickly who it is, vs the shadowy figure you've shot at the other end of the yard or pitch black bottom of the stairs who is actually your husband.

Or you could not shoot at someone if you can't tell who it is?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I keep a gallon of stage blood on hand so I can throw it all over the place and act like I’ve already been murdered. Burglars don’t want that on their hands so I’m pretty confident they’ll haul rear end out of there as long as they aren’t necrophiliacs.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Buy a machete and walk around your lawn holding it, you will build a rep as the "crazy machete guy" and no one will gently caress with you except possibly the cops

(who will shoot you for brandishing a machete)

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Or you could not shoot at someone if you can't tell who it is?

Yes that's a nice sentiment, but hundreds of people a year forget that advice and accidentally kill someone, usually a family member, which brings us back to the point of this conversation which was why someone would choose a bat vs owning a gun.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Scudworth posted:

Yes that's a nice sentiment, but hundreds of people a year forget that advice and accidentally kill someone, usually a family member, which brings us back to the point of this conversation which was why someone would choose a bat vs owning a gun.

The vast majority of those deaths are due to negligent discharges because the person holding the gun was violating one of the 4 cardinal rules of gun safety, not because they mistook someone for an intruder. Don't get me wrong, it certainly happens, but it is a vanishingly small number and typically makes national news when it happens.

And it also gets thoroughly investigated as a murder because people HAVE used it as a cover up for exactly that. See: Oscar Pistorius (sp?)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Scudworth posted:

So apparently “don’t be a dumbass” is no longer valid advice? I mean, gently caress if I’m getting into a gun control debate on the internet after being on the internet for this long, but some people being stupid in your position doesn’t seem like a good reason to choose a bat.

Fake edit: I misunderstood, you’re saying why this particular guy doesn’t want a gun? From his posts I assumed it’s because he’s a prohibited possessor (probably a felon). In that case, there are several models of sort of pepper spray guns. Laser sight, 2 or 4 shot, reloadable, good to 20 feet or so which is more than enough for almost any house. Not a firearm, non-lethal, I think there are some cartridges that come in the type that doesn’t blow back in your face (gel maybe?)

That seems like a much better option, particularly for people who aren’t very physically strong or are disabled. It doesn’t sound like the OP is one of those people, but it’s worth mentioning.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Invite chuck norris to live with u

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Mr. Clark2 posted:

No way you'd be getting 24/7 cucked in your own house.

Invite someone who is rich but also a huge pussy. Like who is gonna bother robbing you with Larry David standing right there.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Dolph Lundgren would be better, isn't a fundy christian, and has a proven track record of terrifying intruders.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Rent-A-Cop posted:

No way you'd be getting 24/7 cucked in your own house.

Invite someone who is rich but also a huge pussy. Like who is gonna bother robbing you with Larry David standing right there.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Dolph Lundgren would be better, isn't a fundy christian, and has a proven track record of terrifying intruders.

Sounds like Macaulay Culkin is your best bet.

1) Established home defense expert
2) Too weird and strung out to cuck you
3) Can probably hook you up with whatever drugs you want

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Dolph can beat black dude in fist fight if rocky 4 is to be believed

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Milo and POTUS posted:

hmmmm def gotta go with Dolph then op

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Caufman posted:

For even more psychological warfare, go to sleep wearing only a balaclava.

edited for clarity

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

isnt the whole point of rocky anyone can beat black people if they work hard enough

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

NihilismNow posted:

accidental injuries or deaths from a bat, knife, or halberd are somewhat less common

edit gently caress thoroughly beaten, but at least I got to bring halberdchat to the table

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...h-Lundgren.html

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

areyoucontagious posted:

My reason for this doesn’t matter.

I think the reason for your paranoia is very relevant.

Hire a bouncer.

Get a tiger.

Throw caltrops all over your front yard.

Who the gently caress knows

Caufman
May 7, 2007

NihilismNow posted:

I want them to see the face of their killer, just as I want to see mine.

osirisisdead posted:

edited for clarity

Doing this now

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

If you get a machete make sure to watch some youtubes so that you don't accidentally hack yourself in the legs the first time you swing for the fences, it's like the badass version of avocado palm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

yeah if dogs are out i think this is the next best option, maybe three tigers though??

• Locked thread