Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
When are we getting that new story mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

fridge corn posted:

JP doesn't have it yet either and they are six months ahead of us.

There's nothing indicating it would come out anytime soon either so maybe nine months would be a decent estimate.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

fridge corn posted:

It isn't even out in JP yet so 6+ months.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
drat that sucks. Looks interesting

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Randabis posted:

Nice new OP. Be sure to include a section about record materia since those are really important such as Dr mog and mako might (you might have and I didn't notice).

I have done either 3 or 4 pulls on FFTA and have ended up with 2 Agrias USBs and dupe BSB, Ramza's USB and some SSB dupes, Marche BSB and SSB, and Melladoul BSB.

I'm thinking about one more shot but I only really need Marche USB and Ramza's LMR since I have OG shout already so I should probably just wait for TG Cid's banner.

Is Melladoul BSB any good? It doesn't look like it to me.

It's not very good, no. I mean it's not awful I guess but it's definitely not something to get excited about.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

It's not very good, no. I mean it's not awful I guess but it's definitely not something to get excited about.
Mel burst is 3 stacking attack breaks, which also stacks with Full Break and Pentabreak. It will trivialize any physical-heavy encounter in the same vein as Shelke or Vaan BSB for magic encounters.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

Yeah I could see it being more useful to newer players but my warchest already covers everything it does on better characters. Oh well they'll just stay level 1 longer.

E: Yeah it's stacking attack debuffs which are good for anything besides magicite, but for me I'm already well covered on debuffing so it's not a thing that will be very useful to me. I'll play with it a little some time when I get my egg supply back up.

Randabis fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 3, 2017

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Randabis posted:

Nice new OP. Be sure to include a section about record materia since those are really important such as Dr mog and mako might (you might have and I didn't notice).

I have done either 3 or 4 pulls on FFTA and have ended up with 2 Agrias USBs and dupe BSB, Ramza's USB and some SSB dupes, Marche BSB and SSB, and Melladoul BSB.

I'm thinking about one more shot but I only really need Marche USB and Ramza's LMR since I have OG shout already so I should probably just wait for TG Cid's banner.

Is Melladoul BSB any good? It doesn't look like it to me.

Yeah, I'm considering revamping the end of the OP into a newbie guide and adding in a section about RMs.

As to Meliadoul's BSB, if you look at it from a Support perspective, it's actually really great, albeit specialized. Give Meliadoul Life Siphon, Armor Breakdown and have her perpetually destroying the enemy's ATK, MAG, and Armor.

I'd say it's pretty drat decent, just not for Magicite.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Two pulls at the VI over at JP.

B1, 2/11 Celes USB, Locke LMR
B2, 2/11 Locke CSB, Leo LMR

Never pull only applies to GL.

Celes USB is pretty much what Steiner wanted to have instead of his.. thing. That banner 2 is pretty stacked with ye olde goodies including Terra USB and Relm USB. Relm's is in my opinion the strongest healer SB in game but I'm an instant cast noncharge spreader fanboy.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

ceaselessfuture posted:

Yeah, I'm considering revamping the end of the OP into a newbie guide and adding in a section about RMs.

As to Meliadoul's BSB, if you look at it from a Support perspective, it's actually really great, albeit specialized. Give Meliadoul Life Siphon, Armor Breakdown and have her perpetually destroying the enemy's ATK, MAG, and Armor.

I'd say it's pretty drat decent, just not for Magicite.

Pretty much this, and if you get it with her USB on the next Tactics banner that's another stacking debuff too. And while Magicite is the preeminent content right now it's worth noting Crystal Tower will continue to be a thing, not to mention a new difficulty level fight for events and whatever rolls out with the new Story mode, which will have parts where you can freely construct your parties.

Mostly, if you think Meliadoul is neat then go ahead and pull, she's a neat lady with good things.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Mel also gains a ton of damage as one of the strongest "Heavy Combat" ability school users down the road, thanks to her BSB/USB having the same earth element as the majority of the initial Heavy abilities.

(the Heavies are Garland, Wol, Guy, DK Cecil, Leo, Cloud, Angeal, Ward, Zeid, Gabranth, Gladiolus, Meliadoul, Cinque, Wrieg and Tyro)

Heavy Charge, 4✭ Heavy Combat
1xST physical dmg, self Heavy Charge (up to 2)

Grand Charge, 5✭ Heavy Combat
4xST Earth/Dark physical dmg, self Heavy Charge (up to 2)

Gigant Swing, 5✭ Heavy Combat
3~8xST Earth physical dmg, no of hits scale with Heavy Charge count, removes Heavy Charge

Blast Burn, 5✭ Heavy Combat
1~6xAoE Earth physical dmg, no of hits scale with Heavy Charge count, removes Heavy Charge

Varance fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 3, 2017

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Koobes posted:

I love to pull

Shameful. A shameful goon

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I feel like you get a lot more mileage out of en element than you do out of imperils. Unless that is whoever is bringing the imperil also has a lot of additional utility. Just bringing them for the imperil is not usually enough
If you only have 1 slot left to use, enelement is usually better.

If a boss is neutral to the element you want to use, an imperil is huge: since it creates a weakness, you'll get 50% more SB bar from using that element. This is a bigger deal now with abilities charging your bar faster than they used to.

If you imperil and see a blue face/skull on your first usage, then the boss is already as weak to that element as possible, and your imperil is useless.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I live to pull.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Just soloed jecht 220 mp.

Good God what a fight.

Basically just keeping water imperil on him the whole time, off healing as needed, and whittling him down with Rydia and gogo. Very tight the last half of the fight.

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
Got my first sub 30 this morning =]

Tyro got paralyzed after only one entrust, but Bartz clutched it out with a quadcast and some dualcasts.

Kumog
Dec 28, 2006
Am I your god?

Pander posted:

Just soloed jecht 220 mp.

Good God what a fight.

Basically just keeping water imperil on him the whole time, off healing as needed, and whittling him down with Rydia and gogo. Very tight the last half of the fight.

Any reason why you didn't equip any sub magicite for your team there? That's a lot of bonus passives you were missing out on, especially since you've got at least 6 3*s to choose from to slap in there.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Kumog posted:

Any reason why you didn't equip any sub magicite for your team there? That's a lot of bonus passives you were missing out on, especially since you've got at least 6 3*s to choose from to slap in there.

You don't get Magicites when soloing MPs. I'm not sure why, but you don't.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Fantastic OP!

Don't forget to buy stamina potions and use them on XP days (today and Tuesday)

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Woohoo! I unlocked magicites!

Oh god where do I even begin.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Post you elements and let the thread decide your fate

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Never pull only applies to GL.

In JP, I pulled 2/11 Sabin BSB x2.

And in Global I pulled 3/33 Ramza BSB2 x3.

Never pull anywhere.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The best way to enjoy magicites is to never play magicites.

But yeah, you generally will need to start on whatever element you're strongest in and then go around Megaman style, if possible.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I had posted a list last thread.

Last Thread posted:

Earth:
Maria (BSB)
Dorgann (BSB/SSB, Earth Imperil)
Bartz (BSB2/BSB3)
Ingus (BSB, SSB2)
Ward (BSB)
Tifa (BSB, SSB)

Lightning:
Garnet (BSB1/BSB2/SSB, Lightning Imperil)
Lightning (OSB/SSB2)
Kain (BSB)
Ashe (BSB)

Wind:
Zidane (USB/BSB, Fully Legend Dived, Wind Imperil)
Luneth (BSB)
Fang (BSB1/SSB)
Ricard (BSB)
Cloud (OSB)

Fire:
Locke (BSB/SSB1/SSB2, Imperil Fire)
Steiner (BSB1)
Yda (BSB)
Elena (SSB)
Vincent (SSB, LMR)
Marach (SSB)

Water:
Tidus (BSB1, OSB)
Rikku (BSB, SSB, Imperil Water)
Paine (SSB1, SSB2)
Bartz (BSB2, BSB3)

Ice:
Edea (USB, SSB1, SSB2)
Laguna (SSB2, Imperil Ice)
Squall (OSB)
Josef (Unique/SSB)

Holy:
Edward (BSB/SSB, Imperil Holy)
Agrias (OSB/SSB)
Pencil (BSB2/SSB)
WoL (BSB)
Minfilia (USB/BSB/SSB)
Curilla (BSB/SSB)
CoD (BSB)
Honorable Mention: Angeal (SSB)

Dark:
Sephiroth (USB)
Edea (USB/SSB1/SSB2, Imperil Dark)
Rufus (SSB, Imperil Dark)
Gaffgarion (BSB/SSB)
Gabranth (Unique)

I've been trying a team of this for Hydra but I think I'm just short on raw levels since a bunch of dudes are still sitting at 80.

Maria: Chain Stonega/Faith - BSB - Mako Might
Bartz: Lifesiphon/Whatever - BSB3 - Sword Damage 30%
Lenna: Shellga/Curaja - BSB - Battleforged
Dorgann: Lifesiphon/Whatever - BSB - Ace Striker
Minfilia: Gaia Cross/Curaja - USB - Dr. Mog's

Basically Minfilia leads with her USB (ATK/MAG/RES) and sits in the backrow eating physicals with Gaia Cross and backup healing. Maria buffs herself and spams as much of her BSB as possible. Bartz does the same with his BSB3. Dorgann provides Imperil Earth alongwith an ATK/DEF buff. Lenna heals forever.

YoshiOfYellow fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 4, 2017

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Get rid of Dorgann and replace him with whoever you think is your best entruster, that will free up Maria to use a +damage materia.

If you dont have a good move for Bartz other than life siphon I recommend steal power. That should be enough to get your feet in the door.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Also yes, get your guys to 99

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i hate the dragon i have to kill to get meltdown, since almost all of my relics are physical

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
When that xp bonus hits just right

Mmm.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Clutch fight but I made it through the 300 CM! Dorgann BSB was a clear standout and was capping for 4x9999 on CMD1, after buffs and Imperil. Gladio Pep Talked and closed the show with his BSB AoE entry. Even Galuf's BSB AoE helped out.

Lenna's BSB, however, was very very bad.

I'll take a skin of my teeth victory regardless though!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
This FFTA 180 CM was so free. I'm tempted to go back and do it again and let him slow me.

Marche USB is hilarious.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Congratulations!

The latest JP Report's out!

December 5~

First up, a damage contest against Humbaba; you just try to post your best damage in a certain amount of time and get rewards depending on how well you did. Three difficulties to try.

December 8-18

It's Ignis's debut in a XV COLLECTION event - enemies will drop "ingredients" to be used in the event shop.

December 13~
Boundless Ruins- a chance to rechallenge Boundless Nemesis and Boundless Ozma!

December 15~

It's a I event for the 30th anniversary that debuts a "Classical Red" wardrobe record for Warrior of Light! There'll be numerous Revenge Dungeon fights and a whole Chaos Temple.

December 20~
This month's Crystal Tower features Tiamat Eliminator (XIII), Guardian (III), Dáinsleif (Type-0) & Bahamut (X) - with Bahamut as the "main event".

December 22~

A Christmas Collection event with two log-in accessories; on December 8, there will be a Twitter poll for players to choose what the accessories actually DO.

There will also be a special Multiplayer fight against [Holy Night] Dullahan and Glutturn. It's a gimmick fight that needs a range of elemental abilities to follow Glutturn's requests.

December 31~

The year ends with a IV event debuting Barbariccia, plus TAY wardrobe records for Palom and Porom. It also looks like Fusoya's poised to finally get some new relics; the legend spheres coming with the event are for Barbariccia, Palom, Porom, and Fusoya! The event itself is themed around Cecil, both Dark Knight and Paladin, so expect some new toys for both of him as well.

There's also a Series Happy Relic Draw happening (13th December ~ 10th January)

- From 13th to 27th December, there will be a new relic draw each day
- Each draw costs 5 Mythrils for a triple-pull with guaranteed 5*+
- First day is Type-0/FFT/FFXV, 2nd day is XIV, 3rd is XIII and so on

And a total of 6 bonus mythril this month for anniversary of game releases.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I am so hyped for that series of 3-pull banners, you have no idea. That breaks down to 75 mythril for a guaranteed 15 unique relics, that's unheard of.

I had a real hard time with this week's JS battle due to some bad slows and interrupts, but now that it's done, I finally was able to complete Squall's LD.

And with the next DU activating tomorrow, the half-price realm dungeons should give me the boost I need to finally get completely caught up with all of them, just in time for the Dailies revamp.

... I spend more time scheduling my plans for this game than I do for my projects at work.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I hope we get the 3 pull banners this December in global. Seems like a reasonable chance, though a guaranteed 6* lucky would also be welcome.

This month's CT looks pretty drat tough.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
So, I've been getting the itch to play this game again after a long time. I quit just as OSBs were introduced, so I have no idea what any of this new fangled stuff is. I somehow have over 800 mythril still, so I could at least probably get up to speed with the current gear.

Whats the current meta? Any new must have abilities that I need to whale for? Is there a good catch up guide anywhere?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Lechtansi posted:

So, I've been getting the itch to play this game again after a long time. I quit just as OSBs were introduced, so I have no idea what any of this new fangled stuff is. I somehow have over 800 mythril still, so I could at least probably get up to speed with the current gear.

Whats the current meta? Any new must have abilities that I need to whale for? Is there a good catch up guide anywhere?

Pull 3 times on the FFTA banner that features Marche, Agrias, and Ramza. That's the best banner in a long time.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Hogama posted:

There's also a Series Happy Relic Draw happening (13th December ~ 10th January)

- From 13th to 27th December, there will be a new relic draw each day
- Each draw costs 5 Mythrils for a triple-pull with guaranteed 5*+
- First day is Type-0/FFT/FFXV, 2nd day is XIV, 3rd is XIII and so on

Is this the second time they've offered this series of pulls? They did this in the leadup to the 3rd anniversary in JP too right?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Lechtansi posted:

There's a pretty good catch up guide if you go back 1 page in this very thread. We're probably like 3 weeks from a fest, so do as Elephant says and then probably save some pulls for that. With any amount of luck you'll have most of what you'd need to do decently well in the current game meta.

Anyway, aside from giving you blind advice, I think you should just try to play through the current events and see how far you can get before it gets too hard. From there, you can ask for more specific suggestions on what you may need to do to advance.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Lechtansi posted:

Peruse the new original post, but briefly:

• Magicites (unlocked by beating all the Nightmare dungeons) are the current hardest content and will remain that way for the foreseeable future. Accordingly, they are heavily influencing the "chase-worthy" relics. Magicites heavily resist debuffs (so breaks are falling out of favor), and each has an elemental weakness (so everyone is trying to make a strong team for every element, except poison which gets no magicite).
  • "Legend Dives" are now available to most characters once you fill out their 3* and 4* record dives. These can provide strong stat bonuses and, more importantly, two "legend materia". These operate like record materia, but are unique to the character that unlocks them and can't be shared. They have varying quality, so be careful before legend diving someone. Generally the "chance to dualcast X" are prized.
  • Burst Soul Breaks are falling by the wayside due to the shift to the "ability meta" and Ultra Soul Breaks. USBs tend to offer strong effects, and the DPS ones tend to work very well with one or two specific 5* abilities. 5* abilities almost all got buffed just recently to 4+ hits with high multipliers. So generally the idea is to hone up the 5* abilities to rank 3+ and use those in conjunction with (or instead of!) soul breaks.
  • Speed is also becoming more key to battles. Mostly this translates to spamming 5* abilities instead of building up gauges with lifesiphon and such. However, this also means "wrathbots" or "entrustbots" are becoming more common on teams. These are 5* support units whose job is only (or primarily) to wrath up gauge quickly and entrust to other characters to get SBs up quickly or to spam multiple SBs. The FFVII character Shelke is currently the best in global, and can be worth legend diving even without any relics for this purpose. Her legend materia lets her start with haste and instant cast 3, which means she can get someone a full SB gauge before turn 2, allowing the target to bring a damage-increasing RM instead of a SB gauge-boosting RM.

saltylopez posted:

Is this the second time they've offered this series of pulls? They did this in the leadup to the 3rd anniversary in JP too right?

Yup.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Who needs buffs?

Also it's good to know that HP doesn't get capped.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
If I had Meliadoul BSB, Marche USB and Agrias USB but no source of Imperil Holy, would it be worth doing 1 more roll on the FFTA banner for Agrias's BSB? Still could use her LMR as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Stop now. It's not worth it. Imperil's not bad or anything, but considered far from essential for the difficult content going forward.

• Locked thread