Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Another cool thing to consider about Dune is that a lot of popular scifi writers imagined humanity's future as being free from mysticism and driven by logic. Of course you still had it show up in campy space operas but it was the enemy. Ming of Mongo was an Asiatic tyrant, not a person to sympathize with.

Frank Herbert said gently caress that: Religion will survive, logic won't rule, technology will be subordinate, and we might role backwards in social progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Where did stone burners fit into that?

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

friendbot2000 posted:

Also if they dont make the Harkonnen Duke as grosslooking as Lynch did I am going to be hella pissed

The role will go to Tom Hardy

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Galewolf posted:

Ironically, the Lynch Dune bankrupted the gently caress out of the production company because of his insistance on using trillion extras, pretty baller sets (I think Caladan and Geidi Prime scenes are just great but not so much the ones in Arakkis)

IMO, Lynch got couple of things so right that: Gurney Halleck is forever Patrick Steward, the guild navigator is a huge wrinkled talking penis, Feyd Rautha is Sting in a green space speedo, Baron Harkonnen always makes my stomach lurch etc.

Sadly, due to production/technology limitations the Arakkis scenes, anything involving space travel are atrocious looking and the movie lacks pretty much rest of the fluff made the books interesting (the Landstraat, CHOAM, Emperor Family, Fremen etc.) .

I dunno man, Dune is on such a great scale that we literally need a technology from Dune era to film that book properly.

I really disliked the appearance of the navigator like that. I just couldn't wrap my head around why it looked like a guinea pig with gigantism. Like why would his mouth change?

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Angela Lansburial posted:

I was born to be in the C.H.O.A.M. Gang

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

phasmid posted:

Your av is great. :)

He wrote really good creepy/horror science fiction, too. Hellstrom's Hive is probably my favorite non-Dune book of his, had some great moments and a sense of mounting dread (tempered with dark humor).

How do we set it as a tag?

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Might be possible that it is a little of both: they can fold space only so far and need to make small successive jumps. Might explain the prescience so they don't jump into a star or debris sitting on the other side.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I forgot how the machinery clunks and weezes, and how he(?) almost purrs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGqdE1NdMTg

I did not say thiss.
I am not hearre.

though I never was a huge fan of the human-embryo-turned-huge concept

I actually hate the human embryo thing. It never made sense to me how a person would turn into that and at that scale. I get deformities and mutations but that was a bit much.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Dune is a series of novels that advocates positive eugenics

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
I am gonna move to a backwater planet and breed mediocre children because I am the one person in the universe not obsessed with breeding super humans or measuring my family's lifespans in millenia

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
"My son Paul-Leto wants to study theatre at the Atreides School for the Performing Arts"

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
*works for an ad agency on Gammu*

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
I am most of the way through Heretics and that quality just isn't there

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Double post

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

basic hitler posted:

I stopped in heretics shortly after teg thwarts some plot and discoverd the honored matres. the sex-weirdness was getting to me, even though i enjoy the plot otherwise, there's something deeply unpleasant about how the honored matres are written as well, so between young ghola duncan idaho and mind controlling pussies i'm just not into it.

Yeah it's getting into weird sex tones that sounded understandable from a weird space worm but not as much from 'regular' people. Also lol at Waff being on Rakis literally listening in himself to a secret conversation.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
The original plot turns out to be an inter-spatial time orgy written like a first year philosophy book mated with a world religions textbook

Pure Dune

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
I just got to the word hypnobong

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Now I am reading the gently caress fight and it's kind of dumb

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
I am understanding why I should have stopped at God Emperor

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
"And even were I to complete my rocket and launch it" Mike mused, "the UN would use the Hubble Telescope's V-beam to holoproject a curvature onto my viewing lens. It is precisely what they would want . They would hide the truth that the world is flat and create new propaganda. Wheels within wheels."

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

i think you meant to post this in the mad mike hughes thread, but that's okay, because htis post is great

Murray Mantoinette posted:

I think it was the ‘wheels within wheels’ part.

Bingo. Thought it would fit in with the infowars stuff we were talking about

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Reading Chapterhouse. Nice to know even in the year 20,000 you can still get a decent brisket

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
It is readily apparent that Frank Herbert wrote Heretics of Dune while he was really horny, and Chapterhouse while he was really hungry

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
I'm the page about clam chowder

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
In Chapterhouse there is a scene where Odrade and crew go on trip to find Sheeana. Between the descriptions of the scenery and the literal bus present, Frank probably wrote this part after doing a bus tour of Spain.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
I call mine the sandtrout because it dehydrates planets

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I call mine Ix, for its length.

In centimeters.

Also the sound people make when they see it

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
When I'm drunk I gently caress without rhythm

Edit: page sniped like an Imperial wedding party on a bridge

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Did Frank secretly conceive of the water of life as cum and his homophobia made him cause it to kill any man that drank it? Does that mean Paul’s bi?

He can access both male and female sides

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Doonesbury: Dilbert Planet

Baronbert

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
I finished Chapterhouse and my verdict is the obituary at the back is the best part

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Dune, God Emperor, Messiah, Children, Chapterhouse, Heretics

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
DOONE

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

basic hitler posted:

Good rank. I like children a bit more tha messiah tho

I couldn't get over the baron posessing Alia

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Children of Don

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Spice World, Girl planet.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

phasmid posted:

The unnamed foe (which became LORD CYBERTREX 9k) was an unnamed threat in the last two books. It was a really good buildup, but he died before his big reveal. Judging from those weird cat-humans, I was guessing it might be aliens, or a group of humans that were so far gone they were practically alien. No telling, really.

I think it's Odrade who first deduces that the Matres aren't coming back for pure conquest. They've had to relinquish their own worlds. They are essentially like the Vandals. Everyone thought they were badasses until they figured out the Vandals were running away from something. That something being Attila the Hun.

My figuring was it'd be whatever Marty and Daniel were. A force so powerful they could tamper with the fabric of space and time while weeding

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Shaddak posted:

I'm down with the idea of Marty and Daniel being facedancers. Assuming that's where Frank was going with it, I do wonder about how they were able to contact Duncan. I mean, as others have suggested, maybe they were facedancers that absorbed so many lives they became god-like. I was thinking it may have had something to do with whatever the Tleilaxu had done to this incarnation of Duncan. We still don't what all they crammed into his cells.

My guess is that Duncan has whatever base that those face dancers where he is able to access and synthesize his previous ghola memories. These ones have the expanded set that they can absorb other people as well, which probably puts them in a category of being like a more pastoral version of the Borg. They go from place to place, absorbing skills and memories of different people's and species and keeping the most useful parts, which in this universe gives them stupid amounts of psychic powers. Chances are they probably have gone and created their own axolotl tanks and can simply transfer themselves into better and better bodies until they're mentally projecting teleportation nets or whatever the gently caress Duncan was seeing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

phasmid posted:

Yeah, the fact that they show up right at the end was so out of the blue that it turbofucks any analysis of the story. lol

I kinda thought the "weeding" was like the "net" that Idaho saw in his mentat projections. Some kind of metaphor for something that humans could barely grasp. That's part of what made me think aliens, because the implication was that they were tampering with human beings on a galactic scale.

I imagine they were facedancers because of the description but it would also resolve why the hell Scytale is left as a character in the book. Unless Frank Herbert just kind of didn't give a gently caress and forgot why he was there, Scytale would likely end up playing some sort of key role, or act as a form of exposition.