Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Petr
Oct 3, 2000

VikingofRock posted:

With all the insanity about North Korea I actually missed this other insane tweet from earlier today:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/948174033882927104

What is he even talking about? I understood the stuff about imprisoning his political enemies, but there's also something about submarines or something?

Some sailors got arrested for showing pictures of classified subs or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

VikingofRock posted:

With all the insanity about North Korea I actually missed this other insane tweet from earlier today:

What is he even talking about? I understood the stuff about imprisoning his political enemies, but there's also something about submarines or something?

If you've ever thought "who's typing those chyrons during every live news program? I have no idea what they're trying to say or condense", this is the livetweeting of someone who can't even read the chyrons.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I can't believe Trump Thread II lasted an entire year.

Let's hope we make it to Trump Thread IV: A New Hope

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
What's the deal with the drawing the clock thing idgi

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think there's a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes that we aren't seeing with Trump, too. There's a reason Kelly has such extreme power -- literally controlling everyone who meets with the President, etc.

Reagan just seems worse because we're looking at Reagan with the eye of history and Trump through the haze of the present.

Trump has a worse temperament.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

sit on my Facebook posted:

https://www.verywell.com/the-clock-drawing-test-98619

quote:

How the Clock-Drawing Test Is Administered

The clinician (often a doctor, psychologist, or social worker) gives the person being tested a piece of paper with a pre-drawn circle on it and asks him to draw the numbers on the clock.

She then tells him to draw the hands to show a specific time. There are several different times that people who administer this test may use, but many choose 10 minutes after 11.

Additional research identified six features in this test that were important in successfully identifying problems in cognition. These were described as critical clock-drawing errors and included the wrong time, no hands, missing numbers, number substitutions, repetition, and refusal. These researchers concluded that these six errors were predictive in identifying dementia based on the clock-drawing test. Notice that simply refusing to complete the test can be indicative of a problem.

please add to the op for the inevitable 8 million questions we'll get this year

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

I think there's a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes that we aren't seeing with Trump, too. There's a reason Kelly has such extreme power -- literally controlling everyone who meets with the President, etc.

Reagan just seems worse because we're looking at Reagan with the eye of history and Trump through the haze of the present.

you're delusional dude. you're way way the gently caress off the deep end.
kelly has pretty standard chief of staff responsibilities. here is a list of primary responsibilities of the white house chief of staff

PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE WHITE HOUSE CHIEF OF STAFF
The duties of the White House Chief of Staff vary greatly in each administration, according to the needs and desires of each president. The position typically plays both a managerial and advisory role that encompasses several important functions:

Select and supervise key White House staff

Control access to the Oval Office and the president

Manage communications and information flow

that information is copied and pasted from dummies.com which is what you are

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Obviously, we can only imagine what might be happening behind closed doors. But I really don't think Reagan could have drafted a tweet, even an unhinged and barely-coherent one, for a lot of the back half of his presidency.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

sit on my Facebook posted:

Asking patients to draw a clock is a clinical test for Alzheimer's.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

VikingofRock posted:

When pondering the craziness of the tweet, don't forget that he hired a foreign agent as National Security Advisor.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

awesmoe posted:

that information is copied and pasted from dummies.com which is what you are

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

awesmoe posted:

you're delusional dude. you're way way the gently caress off the deep end.

Kelly is managing Trump the way a nanny manages a toddler, not the way any other white house chief of staff has ever operated.

See, e.g.,

quote:

If Mr. Kelly knows he cannot always control access, he is intent on at least knowing who is peddling what to his boss. He reserves the right to listen to calls coming to the president through the White House switchboard. To some callers, Mr. Kelly politely promises to forward messages. On calls he cannot monitor personally, Mr. Kelly or a deputy will usually double-back to debrief the caller on any promises the president may have made in unguarded moments.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/09/us/politics/donald-trump-president.html

Most nine year olds have more freedom than Kelly is allowing Trump.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 3, 2018

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

:nws: https://twitter.com/Emp0werYourself/status/948400978620903425 :nws:

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
I'm glad we got a new thread title because I have no idea what the last one was supposed to mean, nor why it remained the thread title for so long.

As for the thread itself, I mean it has its moments. It gives all the poo poo posters a place to argue about rockets or whatever I guess.

TURN IT OFF!
Dec 26, 2012

Kilroy posted:

I'm glad we got a new thread title because I have no idea what the last one was supposed to mean, nor why it remained the thread title for so long.

As for the thread itself, I mean it has its moments. It gives all the poo poo posters a place to argue about rockets or whatever I guess.

Don't mention the war sandwiches.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Xae posted:

A LINK THAT I DON'T WANNA QUOTE

There is no way Lil Don's drapes match the curtains.

Edit: gently caress, last time I quoted something gross that wasn't even directly linked in-line, I got probated for a week, so I guess those are the rules now?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

axeil posted:

Let's hope we make it to Trump Thread IV: A New Hope

Pence Thread I: (Actually Trump Thread IV, But Don’t Tell Anyone!)

Senator Sprinkles
Aug 16, 2008

Petr posted:

Some sailors got arrested for showing pictures of classified subs or something.

A subwoofer! :newlol:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

axeil posted:

Let's hope we make it to Trump Thread IV: A New Horse

ftfy

because pence will have been sworn in

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Sup goons, nice new thread

It's been a true honor typing along side all of you, it's surely going to be sad when we are all incinerated. Thing is, I don't even think it'd be a nuke from NK doing it. Donny would press the button but he'd accidentally hit it on the P2 controller instead of P1 and everyone knows NK is P2 which means, gently caress, we get nuked

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Assuming America survives the Trump Presidency, what laws can be implemented to prevent this situation occurring again?

Also, the 25th Amendment seems to rely upon the President sending a letter that he cant discharge his duties - which I cant see Trump ever doing. He would never admit that. Is that reading correct, or can someone else write the letter for him.

My button is bigger than yours... I mean, Jesus, America. You really lived down to the stereotype.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
To all the goons who are like "why is life even worth living if you could just have it end 30 minutes from now?" about our new situation, I have some bad news for you.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

VanSandman posted:

I am genuinely surprised more people haven’t been perma’d for threatening the President.

He is a threat to everyone on earth.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Moreau posted:

Assuming America survives the Trump Presidency, what laws can be implemented to prevent this situation occurring again?

Also, the 25th Amendment seems to rely upon the President sending a letter that he cant discharge his duties - which I cant see Trump ever doing. He would never admit that. Is that reading correct, or can someone else write the letter for him.

My button is bigger than yours... I mean, Jesus, America. You really lived down to the stereotype.

Keep reading, the relevant section in the 25th amendment is section 4. The VP and a majority of the cabinet can strip him of power. If the president appeals, then congress votes.

As for how to keep this from happening again, assuming we can't be trusted to not elect an insane maniac again, it would require a constitutional amendment. The office of the president is vastly powerful due to the constitution, so laws wont help. Up to this point, we presumed we would never elect an insane sociopath with Alzheimer's.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Unormal posted:

To all the goons who are like "why is life even worth living if you could just have it end 30 minutes from now?" about our new situation, I have some bad news for you.

Shh...

I've learned to enjoy watching people experience their first bit of true nihilism.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Moreau posted:

Apart from various voting reforms, the main thing is we need to remove the ability of the President to fire senate-confirmed appointees to the department of Justice, such as Comey; they need to be ten year appointments only revocable via two-thirds congressional impeachment.

We've twice now had this crisis where the president does something criminal and then tries to interfere with the investigation.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Moreau posted:

There are 2 paths to end a presidency under the 25th- the voluntary one, and the Cabinet informing Congress that they feel the President should be removed without his consent.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

berserker posted:

Sup goons, nice new thread

It's been a true honor typing along side all of you, it's surely going to be sad when we are all incinerated.

Will it really?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Moreau posted:

We're gonna have to get rid of the conservatives for everyone's sake.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/948355557022420992

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Moreau posted:

Remember, we could destroy you if it makes for good TV.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
:lol: if you think Trump is gonna get 25th Amendment’d. Not by this VP, this cabinet, and this congress. The death cult will lock arms and sing joyfully as the ground rushes upward to meet them in their freefall.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

VanSandman posted:

I am genuinely surprised more people haven’t been perma’d for threatening the President.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmiKenqLVAU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

nine-gear crow posted:

:lol: if you think Trump is gonna get 25th Amendment’d. Not by this VP, this cabinet, and this congress. The death cult will lock arms and sing joyfully as the ground rushes upward to meet them in their freefall.

dunno I could see it happening if he is actually factually incapable of even rubber-stamping executive orders

also, strictly speaking, they don't need Congress

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Apart from various voting reforms, the main thing is we need to remove the ability of the President to fire senate-confirmed appointees to the department of Justice, such as Comey; they need to be ten year appointments only revocable via two-thirds congressional impeachment.

We've twice now had this crisis where the president does something criminal and then tries to interfere with the investigation.

Tries?

They have actually interfered with the investigations.

Nixon was ultimately unable to save his hide, but he did interfere.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

John Titor turns 20 this year, just in time to lead the resistance after Washington falls

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Congress already tried this, and it's what got Andrew Johnson impeached. (Turns out it's unconstitutional)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

nine-gear crow posted:

They think they can control him and get things they want like the tax bill, but it is not loving worth it.

It’s like racing a train.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The remedy is to impeach the president for the actual crimes that he is obstructing the investigations of, but R.I.P. functional American institutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Blitz7x posted:

John Titor turns 20 this year, just in time to lead the resistance after Washington falls

I volunteer to go back in time and bang his mother in order to secure the future for all mankind

• Locked thread