Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
They actually got Masashi Ebara and Hochu Otsuka to voice Popuku and Pipimi, holy crap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
The middle-aged men who voiced the first half were the two actors the girls said in the original comic they wanted to have voice them which is pretty much the best way to kick things off.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
I've only known about AC-bu for about a year. I feel bad about missing out for so long but better late than never.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_rU00ACIfs

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"

drrockso20 posted:

So apparently we're getting a real manga for Hoshiiro Girldrop now
If it's the announcement that came out near when the anime started airing, then it's going to be one of those multi-artist comic anthologies, and even odds on it actually being a Pop Team Epic one.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"

ViggyNash posted:

Reading the first-episode reviews of this on ANN is pretty drat amusing because of how much more it says about the reviewers than the show.
I got the exact same impression. I forgot where I saw it, but I remember reading some comment that said the more serious you took anime as a medium, the more likely you were to hate it.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Oh shoot, I completely forgot that came out a few days ago. I'll have to get one next time I go into town.

Second episode is incredible. I'll just say they keep up the same-episode-with-different-VAs gimmick but to even greater effect, and AC-bu is in top form.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
I'm not a huge seiyuu fan or whatever but I could've sworn I recognized Wakamoto's voice in one of the "Poputepiku" intros and I remembered the M. Bison outfit from the first half.

Mind-blowing setup for a meta joke. This is on a whole other level.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Figures I would be in a position where I couldn't easily watch the new episode until much later when they throw in an Initial D gag and an extended EWF parody.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
You actually bothered to finish this crappy anime? Don't take it so seriously.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
This is from back when bkub would make edits to individual panels when tweeting links to the comic page when updates went out.

The original can be seen here https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=46239857 but when bkub linked it, he edited the first panel to say what's in that bubble, which says "Yeah, you! I'm talking 'bout you!" Not sure how that caught on more than the original, but things like the "You got boost power" reference was also first used in one of these official edits.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Replies to that tweet are saying that's not actually on the blu-ray. I wasn't going to buy it until my next paycheck but I admit it's probably too deep a cut for even bkub.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
https://twitter.com/Sydsnap/status/965438227178926080

FWIW, it's a passable imitation.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
AC-bu doing Popuko's music video was everything I wanted and feared.

Fighting game references also on point

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"

Araki posted:

ah, the pani-poni dash 00s shaft experience

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Who knew the mayor of New York had such humble beginnings?

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
The Japanese in the second half was in Okinawan dialect, which is why it sounds familiar but not quite normal. If you listen closely during the bar scene, you can hear young Joseph say "sata andagi."

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
I like how she's eating chocolate gum and drinking pudding while she's slacking off.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
SCIENCE

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
I found the reversed line from the end of the main segment on Twitter. I forgot to save the link but it went something like, "It's nice having friends." "I want to start a baseball team."

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Their take on the katsudon bit is especially inspired.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Sorry, I was thinking about Shouta Aoi.

https://twitter.com/comic_natalie/status/978183662947545088

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
https://twitter.com/top__6525/status/1002711670328778752

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
I'm fairly certain it's an imitation of the meaningless phrases they'll shout during traditional Japanese dances and festivals, so it also doesn't mean anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"

Blattdorf posted:

Most of it seems pretty self-explanatory. In the first segment, Pipimi recommends betting on horse no. 5.
And Popuko is mad at the winner for besmirching her reputation.