Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I've always heard good things about https://www.epicedge.com/.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Thoht posted:

I've always heard good things about https://www.epicedge.com/.

They are one and the same with Blade Gallery

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Thank you, that’s what I was looking for and just not finding with apple maps searches for some reason

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My Victorinox 8" chef's knife is 12-13 years old and while I honed it regularly, it has definitely lost its sharpness.

I don't do a lot of cooking, but should I just get another Victorinox for $50 or upgrade to a Wustoff for $100 or Global for $70?

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

You could get a whetstone and learn to sharpen it?

It's not too hard, I watched a few YouTube videos and picked it up pretty easy. Used a little wedge guide to get a feel for the angle at first. (Maybe something about humans doing this kinda poo poo for millennias) I'm not amazing or anything but can get it back to fighting shape hitting it for a few minutes every couple months or so.

I just use one stone.
https://a.co/d/3aogE5J

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Yeah, honing is not sharpening. The cheapest thing to do is get it sharpened, either by learning to do it or finding someone local who can sharpen it for you (which is often like $5-20).

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

New Sukenari ZDP-189 and rotating knife block

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Post that block

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

There’s three different sizes. This is the smallest.

https://www.amazon.com/360KB-Black-...yY2hfYXRm&psc=1

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
very sick

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Scythe posted:

very sick

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Lovely.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rakeris posted:

You could get a whetstone and learn to sharpen it?

It's not too hard, I watched a few YouTube videos and picked it up pretty easy. Used a little wedge guide to get a feel for the angle at first. (Maybe something about humans doing this kinda poo poo for millennias) I'm not amazing or anything but can get it back to fighting shape hitting it for a few minutes every couple months or so.

I just use one stone.
https://a.co/d/3aogE5J

Scythe posted:

Yeah, honing is not sharpening. The cheapest thing to do is get it sharpened, either by learning to do it or finding someone local who can sharpen it for you (which is often like $5-20).
Right, I'm aware that honing is just for maintenance and all knives will dull over time and need to be resharpened.

I guess I was asking about whether my Victorinox is lovely enough to justify buying a new knife but it sounds like sharpening is the way to go. At the very least, a whetstone kit would allow me to sharpen my other knives as they dull.

Any recs on that front?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
There are a lot of options and they are all mostly fine. Don't buy a pull-through sharpener. If you want a traditional whetstone, Japanese waterstones are popular in this thread. Shapton makes really nice ones but you can get a double-sided King or whatever and it will be perfectly good. You can also get a diamond stone like a DuoSharp which sharpens (i.e., eats metal) faster, which can be good and bad.

There are also a whole bunch of guided systems as well. You can read back a couple pages and we've discussed some of them. I still haven't pulled the trigger on any of them.

I have found the folks at Sharpening Supplies very helpful and responsive if you have questions or need some guidance.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ordered a 270mm saya (since it’s too tall for either of my knife blocks) and copped this little number to get free shipping

Suisuki Nami AUS10 80 mm

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Some nice fancy knives in here recently, thought I would show off my $12 AliExpress special. (Thanks to this thread) Been liking it so far, too bad I don't have anywhere to store it due to it's girth.

Rakeris fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 7, 2023

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Rakeris posted:

too bad I don't have anywhere to store it due to it's girth.

New thread title?

Also never an issue I've had :(

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
One day the Knife thread title will not be a dick joke but that day is not today.

e: fixed the greengrocer's apostrophe I ain't having that on me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Picks up a stick and starts whacking the hornet’s nest:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7276103510733671722

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Kramers are trash I wipe my rear end with kramers.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I didn’t like the overly aggressive angle of the handle but before I returned it I stacked it on my Henckels Pro and noticed that it has the exact same blade profile, which made me feel a little better about my trash knife

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Living in Yasugi for a month has some perks. Ginsan No 3 steel. $65

Also the Wakou museum is a nice walk through. They even let you hold a piece of steel and a pretty cool sword and take pics, and also use a traditional bellows!

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 18, 2023

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Yoooo I was just there in July! I went to the Wakou museum too. I have a metallurgy background so it was really interesting to see some of the stuff they had there and the explanations they had were also quite good, though very lacking when it came to the small items. Definitely worth checking out. Actually, I should have bought my knife there, though I didn't really end up having time...

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Rakeris posted:

Some nice fancy knives in here recently, thought I would show off my $12 AliExpress special. (Thanks to this thread) Been liking it so far, too bad I don't have anywhere to store it due to it's girth.

I just broke in this exact knife last night and I gotta say: a huge knife rules and everyone should have one

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

totalnewbie posted:

Yoooo I was just there in July! I went to the Wakou museum too. I have a metallurgy background so it was really interesting to see some of the stuff they had there and the explanations they had were also quite good, though very lacking when it came to the small items. Definitely worth checking out. Actually, I should have bought my knife there, though I didn't really end up having time...

Yea we shopped for about 30 minutes and the woman working the counter was very informative. The carbon was tempting but I wanted something more easy care.

I wish they had smaller items too. I wanted a nice smaller knife.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Steve Yun posted:

Picks up a stick and starts whacking the hornet’s nest:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7276103510733671722
Not worth watching the whole thing, but lmao real early they say they spend 2-6 hours a day in the kitchen

Which, I guess, if they're kitchen influencers or whatever, but that still seems crazy when all they're cutting up is gourds and green onions.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Decided on getting some Wusthofs for my wife for Christmas. Chefs knife, serrated bread knife, utility and paring knives. Keeping in mind I'm in Canada, are there usually any black Friday sales or anything I oughta hold out for before ordering? I signed up for their spam to get 10% off, any chance of getting more of a discount than that?

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

codo27 posted:

Decided on getting some Wusthofs for my wife for Christmas. Chefs knife, serrated bread knife, utility and paring knives. Keeping in mind I'm in Canada, are there usually any black Friday sales or anything I oughta hold out for before ordering? I signed up for their spam to get 10% off, any chance of getting more of a discount than that?

Any reason it has to be Wusthofs? Since you're in Canada, I'd go to a knifewear store if you're near a big city and have the employees recommend something.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm getting them in purple yam, purple is her favorite color. Even the nearest "city" to me doesn't have anything like that

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Wusthof makes good stuff outside of the cheapo ranges anyway, there's no reason to push for a change to something else if they want Wusthof. I don't really know about sales but it's worth waiting to see if you don't need them before then, Wusthof is one of the brands that large chains like Williams-Sonoma and Crate & Barrel and Sur La Table sell, and those kinds of major retailers are also the kinds that tend to run sales like that.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Those sales will probably not be on purple

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Maybe not, but if you have another month after that before you need them, why not find out? The worst that happens is you pay normal price, right?

Development
Jun 2, 2016

oh rly posted:

Any reason it has to be Wusthofs? Since you're in Canada, I'd go to a knifewear store if you're near a big city and have the employees recommend something.

+1 to recommending Knifewear. I was in vancouver over the weekend and just popped in to kill time before dinner. really nice store and knowledgeable people. not so much a collector's heaven (like Ai and Om or Tosho) but still great selection.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Development posted:

+1 to recommending Knifewear. I was in vancouver over the weekend and just popped in to kill time before dinner. really nice store and knowledgeable people. not so much a collector's heaven (like Ai and Om or Tosho) but still great selection.

I grabbed a knife from Knifewear some years ago when I decided I wanted a nice cutting tool for the first time, and was really happy with them. I wasn't sure what I wanted so the person at the counter asked me some questions and brought out a selection of knifes for me to check out the heft of as he described their features and such, narrowing my selection down by bringing out a couple more and it was a very pleasant experience. I ended up with a blade with some heft to it that I've been using since. May actually have to bring it in, now that I think about it, as I accidentally put a sizeable (a few mm wide) nick into it.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Hopefully you guys can help with this:

My girlfriend uses this crappy Outback steak knife looking thing as a chef's knife and after suggesting it, she's super pumped at the prospect of me getting her a fancy chef's knife for Christmas.

The problem is the only experience I have with them is a cooking class I took about a million years ago in highschool, so I have no idea what's actually good.

Any recommendations on a Chef's knife (and possibly a paring knife) that's high quality but also looks really flashy? Budget is about 150.

I don't know if this will help, but she's always cooking a bunch of international food, but gravitates to a ton of Asian dishes.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Hopefully you guys can help with this:

My girlfriend uses this crappy Outback steak knife looking thing as a chef's knife and after suggesting it, she's super pumped at the prospect of me getting her a fancy chef's knife for Christmas.

The problem is the only experience I have with them is a cooking class I took about a million years ago in highschool, so I have no idea what's actually good.

Any recommendations on a Chef's knife (and possibly a paring knife) that's high quality but also looks really flashy? Budget is about 150.

I don't know if this will help, but she's always cooking a bunch of international food, but gravitates to a ton of Asian dishes.

If you want to do a chef’s knife and paring knife, it’s hard to go wrong with the Tojiro DP line
Tojiro DP 2-piece Chef's Knife Set https://a.co/d/gQO95Co

And if you can push your budget, they’ve got a Damascus version that looks flashy, though the visuals are the only difference.
TOJIRO DP Damascus 2 Piece Knife Set - 8.25" Chef's Knife with 4" Paring Knife https://a.co/d/08hieoI

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I absolutely love this Mac Pro santoku, my favorite knife ever, but because it is a hollow grind, if you want to maintain the grind you will likely have to have it sharpened by Mac (by mail) unless you have someone local that you trust capable of doing so. (You do not actually have to maintain the hollow grind, Sharpening Supplies recommends just sharpening hollow-ground knives like any other knife. But I love it more than any other knife I own, and I dunno how much of that is due to the grind.) I am seeing sales on this one to make it cheaper (it's already in your budget from Mac), but I don't know many online knife sellers well.

Shun Classics are always popular but are a little over-budget at around $170 via retailers like Crate & Barrel (they're more expensive on Shun's site). People say they are overpriced and they are probably right, but I have one of their nakiris and it feels great in my hand.

I have never used a Tojiro, everyone in this thread says they are good knives. But they also excuse fit and finish issues that they acknowledge the knives sometimes have; I would rather give one of these as a gift.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

guppy posted:

I have never used a Tojiro, everyone in this thread says they are good knives. But they also excuse fit and finish issues that they acknowledge the knives sometimes have; I would rather give one of these as a gift.

I’ve seen enough choil photographs that show legendarily bad grinds, stuff that would be shameful on gas station knives.

If I could handle the knife before purchase and the price were right, that would be one thing, but I wouldn’t order online.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

New knife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde
https://www.knivesfromjapan.co.uk/knives-c1/knife-sets-c13/tojiro-senkou-dp-flash-4-piece-kitchen-set-p413

Does this look like a good deal?

Looking to replace some very old Wusthof Classics and this set came up in a search. It's one more knife (utility) than I am bothered about but the price seems good when comparing to other sites.
Can't get to the shop to hold in person but if they arrive and are not comfortabel I can always return.