Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

this is like the xkcd comic where the way to defeat strong encryption is to beat a password out of someone. no McDonalds franchise is going to redeem 4 meal vouchers. half of them won’t redeem one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Updating...
New Mortal Sin "Biligfadmy:" now set to 702% more heinous than before, and 9x more heretical than standard venal sins. For balance purposes Lust is downgraded by 13% (87% previous value). Greed is reverted to prior update.
New Virtue: "Kyningtet:" +2% chance of Beatification upon death. Stacks with all other Virtues and Acts, including Miracles.

Please do not let religion know it can do DLC or change the meta with buffs and nerfs until they get their microtransaction situation under control.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Buck Wildman posted:

ai priest terminated for being knowledgeable enough about the bible to cite justification for any act or belief whatsoever

exactly...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Please do not let religion know it can do DLC or change the meta with buffs and nerfs until they get their microtransaction situation under control.

This is how we got Protestants

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

"Russian deputies being shown Skibidi toilet at the St. Petersburg legislative assembly deciding on whether or not to ban it."
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_scvib3QvaK1rqf6td.mp4

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pokémon Go Players Invent Fake Beaches on Real Maps to Catch Rare Wigletts

www.404media.co - Thu, 02 May 2024 posted:

Pokémon Go players are creating a headache for members of the open source map tool OpenStreetMaps by adding fake beaches where they don’t exist in hopes of more easily catching Wigletts, a Pokémon that only spawns on beaches. 

OpenStreetMaps is a free, open source map tool much like Google or Apple maps, but is maintained by a self-governing community of volunteers where anyone is welcome to contribute. An April 27 thread in the OpenStreetMap community forum first spotted the issue, flagging two users in Italy who began marking beaches in all sorts of locations where they don’t actually exist. 

The OpenStreetMap user who noticed the fictitious beaches immediately connected the dots: Pokémon Go, the mega popular mobile game where players catch Pokémon and can engage in different activities depending on their geolocation, introduced different “biomes” like beach, city, forest, and mountains. Each of these have a different look, and critically, some specific Pokémon will only spawn at specific biomes. Wiglett, for example, only spawns at beaches. Some video game sites quickly noticed that Pokémon Go’s beaches were appearing in real world locations like golf courses, sports fields, and other places that are not real beaches. Pokémon Go uses OpenStreetMap for its map data, and is how the game knows players are near certain points of interest.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1787041991391584549

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
WIGLETT used Muddy Water!

Enemy OPENSTREETMAP is hurt by poison!

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Extra sad because Italians were doing it. How far are you ever from a beach in Italy? smdh

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I love online enshittification and AI generated garbage:

quote:

When Jennifer and Julian brought their newborn daughter home, they anticipated sleepless nights and endless diapers, but they didn’t expect their cat, Luna, to throw them for a loop. The once independent feline transformed overnight, fixating on their baby with an intensity that was at once bewildering and concerning.

A Joyous Arrival with an Unexpected Twist

The couple, living a quiet life with Luna, looked forward to welcoming their first child. During Jennifer’s pregnancy, however, she couldn’t shake off a growing concern about how Luna would react to the new family member. But it wasn’t until the baby arrived that the real drama began.

Initially, Luna’s behavior seemed sweet, albeit a bit overprotective. She shadowed the baby’s every move, a furry sentinel never more than a few paces away. But as days turned into weeks, her vigilance didn’t wane—it intensified.

The Cat’s Mysterious Behavior Calls for Action

Concerned, Jennifer and Julian wondered if something was amiss with Luna. A visit to the vet yielded nothing; Luna was the picture of health. Yet, her behavior grew more peculiar. She became agitated whenever separated from the baby, even for a moment.

It reached a point where Jennifer, exhausted and out of options, discussed her worries with her friend, Eve, who had been a constant presence since the baby’s arrival. Eve reassured her, but the strange occurrences didn’t stop.

Unraveling a Feline Mystery

Driven by a mix of desperation and curiosity, Julian installed a camera in the nursery, hoping to understand what was triggering Luna’s protective instincts. What they discovered was nothing short of shocking. The footage revealed not an issue with Luna, but with Eve herself. Eve, whose real name was Elizabeth Holmes, had been meddling with the baby’s environment. Their cat hadn’t been erratic; she had been on high alert, sensing Elizabeth’s ill intentions.

The police were called, and it turned out Elizabeth was more than just a family friend gone wrong; she was an international spy with a faux identity. Thanks to Luna, the authorities were able to apprehend her before any harm could come to the family.

Conclusion: More Than Just a Pet

The incident brought home the mysterious and profound bond that animals can form with their human counterparts. Luna wasn’t just a pet; she was a guardian to their child. In the end, Luna and the baby, Lily, grew up as inseparable friends, proving that sometimes, animals understand more than we give them credit for.

This story is a stark reminder of the instincts of animals and their potential to perceive dangers unseen by us. For those interested in more tales of incredible animal behavior, the world of pet dynamics continues to be rich with stories as fascinating as they are heartwarming.

tl;dr: the cat found an international spy named Elizabeth Holmes who was trying to ????? a newborn baby and alerted her family to the nefarious subterfuge

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Thanks for summarizing the slop article you've read for some reason, you might be happy to learn there are more out there

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Ruffian Price posted:

Thanks for summarizing the slop article you've read for some reason, you might be happy to learn there are more out there

you're welcome mr price

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
My cat can't even find her own butt to lick half the time and this cat is finding spies? This is what I get for going with a rescue.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Nichael posted:

tl;dr: the cat found an international spy named Elizabeth Holmes who was trying to ????? a newborn baby and alerted her family to the nefarious subterfuge

I'm the boomers on Facebook replying to the article with poo poo like "praying for her!"

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

It gets better. The URL and rest of the website are impersonating the actual WECB, which just adds to the enshittification experience.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Nichael posted:

then you'll love this!

https://x.com/RancorEnabler69/status/1787169475223052653

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Nichael posted:

dead internet theory but less sinister conspiracy and more incoherent garbage

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

pro-click

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I love this so much I watched all of it despite being a vegan and thinking it was gross.

zetamind2000 posted:

dead internet theory but less sinister conspiracy and more incoherent garbage

biden internet theory

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

lmao

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Don't know about yall but I yearn for a dead internet

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Milo and POTUS posted:

Don't know about yall but I yearn for a dead internet

we're close

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

internet kessler syndrome

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

weird how social media platforms are being banned for containing uncontrollable thoughts at the same time all search engines have been rendered useless by a sanitized and often incorrect gaggle of learning language models

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

They started off using portals from Ingress, which had so many intentionally misplaced and outright fake locations among the real and accurate ones that the only real value of it would be learning how to handle data poisoning.

Justin Tyme posted:

I'm the boomers on Facebook replying to the article with poo poo like "praying for her!"
Just trying to save face when they recognize bits of the fake stories they mailed to Readers Digest.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

other people posted:

Extra sad because Italians were doing it. How far are you ever from a beach in Italy? smdh

maybe they hate tourists as much as everyone else does?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

GWBBQ posted:

They started off using portals from Ingress, which had so many intentionally misplaced and outright fake locations among the real and accurate ones that the only real value of it would be learning how to handle data poisoning.

Just trying to save face when they recognize bits of the fake stories they mailed to Readers Digest.

Listen buddy we don't make fun of readers digest. I've made... tens of dollars submitting terrible jokes to humor in uniform

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

That's just a narrator having a real-time stroke, OP.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

GWBBQ posted:

ingress is also a CIA op meant to tighten up geoloc vs gamer logins and they went so hard on it they did an ingress anime to try to suck people in

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Al! posted:

internet kessler syndrome

eKessler syndrome

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

In the living room the voice-clock sang, Tick-tock, seven o'clock, time to get up, time to get up, seven o 'clock! as if it were afraid that nobody would. The morning house lay empty. The clock ticked on, repeating and repeating its sounds into the emptiness. Seven-nine, breakfast time,
sev en-nine!
pour milk over beef steaks and be surprised by the results of this combination
deh
fi
eviduh
bleh ba

bibbity

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Rochallor posted:

It would require cameras to automatically go to QR codes when they scan them, which isn't a thing for I assume many reasons besides security (costs 3 cents more per year?)

Phone cameras do and images are often scraped by Google and whoever for things like qr codes

And what you want to put there is the EICAR test string: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/EICAR_test_file

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1786055896323297726

So cheap but why doesn't it mine bitcoin too?! It has four whole apps too!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Al! posted:

weird how social media platforms are being banned for containing uncontrollable thoughts at the same time all search engines have been rendered useless by a sanitized and often incorrect gaggle of learning language models

You're not supposed to think about this

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/variainayurt/status/1787504142568534452

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Good. We need to bully people who made silent mode into "loud, but notifications are off" mode to use the right options

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I used an app to get pregnant and now my baby is half AI

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
sexual_harassment.exe

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Desert Bus posted:

I used an app to get pregnant and now my baby is half AI

Grimes??? I didn't know you had an account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

ingress is also a CIA op meant to tighten up geoloc vs gamer logins and they went so hard on it they did an ingress anime to try to suck people in
we knew Google was doing it, but I had stopped playing by the time I found out the CIA part.