Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

Anyone using their HomePod mini as a speakerphone?

I'm finding that when I place calls out from my iPhone, people on the other end can hear me clear as day even if I'm walking away from it to the fridge or the window.

Yet, sometimes on incoming calls, people say I sound Charlie Brownified and they say the audio is muffled even if I pick up the goddamn mini and hold it to my mouth like a 1940s radio broadcaster.

I think it's because those people are calling on not-iPhones. Anyone else ever get this behavior with their mini?
Been a while but it's been fine when I have.

Well maybe except yesterday when I used Hey Siri to call, and my phone in my pocket handled the call. The HomePod had the green light and everything going but phone had the audio. Hung up and the HomePod still had the green light for a sec before doing its own hang up sound. Not sure that's something with wifi calling or what there.

(I only mention wifi calling cause I was on the phone with my iPad and was able to make a separate call on my iPhone, so technically had two calls going with my number?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Question - I have a mini on the nightstand that I play real chill ambient stuff to fall asleep to, but it is polluting my apple music recommendations now. From some googling i see there is/was a “Use listening history” option within the home device settings, but I don’t see it.

E: actually found it, they moved it to the user settings in home, update listening history and you can toggle off specific homepods.

Now to get my recommendations back on track!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

priznat posted:

Question - I have a mini on the nightstand that I play real chill ambient stuff to fall asleep to, but it is polluting my apple music recommendations now. From some googling i see there is/was a “Use listening history” option within the home device settings, but I don’t see it.

E: actually found it, they moved it to the user settings in home, update listening history and you can toggle off specific homepods.

Now to get my recommendations back on track!
Oh sweet, never knew about that option and stopped bothering with sleep music cause of that.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

japtor posted:

Oh sweet, never knew about that option and stopped bothering with sleep music cause of that.

Yah it was a case of finding the solution while I was doing the post so though I’d share. I may just reset my recommendations if I can figure that out :haw:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

HomePod Software 15.4.1 is out

Apple posted:

Software version 15.4.1 addresses an issue where some HomeKit-enabled accessories could fail to respond when controlled via Siri.

This update also includes bug fixes for your HomePod.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

“Some”

Lol when I asked it to turn OFF the kitchen lights, it would turn my hallway lights ON. They’re in separate HomeKit rooms.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I recently switched to HomeKit from Google Home and somehow Google would nearly always turn my living room lights off whenever I asked to turn them on. And only those lights. Unless I very obviously enunciated “ON”, it was worse than a coin flip that they’d turn on

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How do I cast Soundcloud to the HomePod? I feel like I used to be able to and now I’ve either forgotten or it’s no longer possible. When I hit the cast button in Soundcloud it only gives me the option to cast to my TV’s soundbar.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Anyone know if the "Enable listening history" toggle for the homepod was moved or just removed in the homepod 16 update? I had it off but I noticed my recommendations have started having stuff similar to the quiet jazz I use to fall asleep to, which I don't really want in my recs. I don't see the selection anymore in the homepod settings in the home app anymore.

Annoying.

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!

priznat posted:

Anyone know if the "Enable listening history" toggle for the homepod was moved or just removed in the homepod 16 update? I had it off but I noticed my recommendations have started having stuff similar to the quiet jazz I use to fall asleep to, which I don't really want in my recs. I don't see the selection anymore in the homepod settings in the home app anymore.

Annoying.

It’s under Home.app->Home Settings->your name

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

MrNonacho posted:

It’s under Home.app->Home Settings->your name

aha! thanks found it!

Oddly it was already off, don't know why my recommendations are getting wobbly again.. ah well

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Bleh, one of my kids has a homepod mini that she is the primary user on but her music listening just started showing up in my apple music history (it's been fine for months).

Anyone else ran into this? I can't see anything obviously wrong but don't have tons of ideas short of just resetting the thing and setting it up as her again (we're all part of a family group, she has her own apple music sub).

EDIT: Tried signing out the "homepod" account and will see what that does I guess

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 9, 2023

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Welp my OG HomePod suddenly died with no warning. Apparently this is an issue for a lot of people. Bummer that Apple wants $280 to repair it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Welp my OG HomePod suddenly died with no warning. Apparently this is an issue for a lot of people. Bummer that Apple wants $280 to repair it.

That sucks.

Give this guy a holler and see what he thinks.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

That sucks.

Give this guy a holler and see what he thinks.

Woah, thanks! I'll email him and see what he suggests!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Maneki Neko posted:

Bleh, one of my kids has a homepod mini that she is the primary user on but her music listening just started showing up in my apple music history (it's been fine for months).

Anyone else ran into this? I can't see anything obviously wrong but don't have tons of ideas short of just resetting the thing and setting it up as her again (we're all part of a family group, she has her own apple music sub).

EDIT: Tried signing out the "homepod" account and will see what that does I guess

My 2022 recap was literally only lullaby music for babies because the setting to not update my listening history and library did not work, and I did not notice. Was a christmas gift for christmas 2021, and I finally fixed the problem a few weeks after the recaps came out.

And yes, the routine and HomePod was configured to use the kid’s account and subscription as a part of a family. I finally figured out that even though the routine was explicitly configured to use the kid’s account, it recognized my voice and overwrote the routines user. Every night. For over a year.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

My 2022 recap was literally only lullaby music for babies because the setting to not update my listening history and library did not work, and I did not notice. Was a christmas gift for christmas 2021, and I finally fixed the problem a few weeks after the recaps came out.

And yes, the routine and HomePod was configured to use the kid’s account and subscription as a part of a family. I finally figured out that even though the routine was explicitly configured to use the kid’s account, it recognized my voice and overwrote the routines user. Every night. For over a year.

Haha my top tracks were ocean waves. We use an ocean wave album as white noise for our toddlers at night. After that I have baby shark and this is Halloween from nightmare before Christmas.

Then like 100 tracks of Dio, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Metallica, and Pantera.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Big homepod is BACK

https://youtu.be/oMf_i1YBuMk

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

It's lost two tweeters and got an Apple Watch series 7 chip, but everything else is the same including the original price they weren't selling at, IDGI.

EDIT: Apparently no stereo pairing with OG Homepods, because why encourage your established fans to buy another one? https://9to5mac.com/2023/01/18/hompod-stereo-pair-different-models/

GoatSeeGuy fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 18, 2023

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Don’t the Apple Watch S6/7/8/Ultra/OG HomePod/HomePod mini all have pretty much the same CPU? And this one has the same one?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Seems like a wet fart to me.. and to release it with Bluetooth 5.0 and WiFi 5 (802.11n!!) when ITYOOL 2023 they just shipped three other products with WiFi 6 and BT 5.3...

Did the OG have temp and humidity sensors?

I just asked Siri on my Mini what the temp was in here and she said sorry I cant do that

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 18, 2023

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Don’t the Apple Watch S6/7/8/Ultra/OG HomePod/HomePod mini all have pretty much the same CPU? And this one has the same one?

OG Homepod has the A8 from the iPhone 6, the new SOC is basically the same from the AW Series 6 onward. Considering Apple was allegedly still selling their launch supply of Homepods when it was cancelled (They even ran a 50% off promo for employees) this still doesn't make any sense to me.

Binary Badger posted:

Did the OG have temp and humidity sensors?

I just asked Siri on my Mini what the temp was in here and she said sorry I cant do that

Just the mini, but it's never been user accessible- maybe next week!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No, the original HomePod has an A8, the Mini has an S5, and this has using an S7, so this is a bit faster (the S6, S7, and S8 all use the same CPU, the S5 is a generation older CPU than those).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I wonder if this is supply chain related ie a big order placed for another product (iphone se?) for some random parts like the bluetooth or whatever. They showed up, and were going were going to go in the iphone se but since it was to be cancelled (all this would have happened months ago) the homepod was dusted off, given a slight refresh and sent back into production.

Or something like that, due to parts inventories somehow.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Keeping it at the same price point the first one wasn’t really selling at is… certainly a choice.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I’ll just pick up another first gen one when I see it cheap.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Sound Recognition is a new one. Looks like there will be a Spring software update to bring that feature in.

I wonder what else they'll be listening for outside of Fire and CO alarms.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

priznat posted:

That is so drat annoying WHY can’t they do that even

https://youtu.be/5unE-H2CIGc

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Thwomp posted:

I wonder what else they'll be listening for outside of Fire and CO alarms.

Union organizing

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The least believable part of that youtube video is Siri responding instantly with out any "on it"s or "just a sec"s and eventually timing out and saying to ask later.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

GoatSeeGuy posted:

It's lost two tweeters and got an Apple Watch series 7 chip, but everything else is the same including the original price they weren't selling at, IDGI.

EDIT: Apparently no stereo pairing with OG Homepods, because why encourage your established fans to buy another one? https://9to5mac.com/2023/01/18/hompod-stereo-pair-different-models/

Well that loving sucks.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
When you cancel a product so you can rework it and make it cheap enough to make sense, you need to make it cheaper.

They still haven’t realised this with the apple tv either. In both categories market share > all, don’t price gouge.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

wooger posted:

When you cancel a product so you can rework it and make it cheap enough to make sense, you need to make it cheaper.

They still haven’t realised this with the apple tv either. In both categories market share > all, don’t price gouge.

That's the part I don't get, they DID drop the price on the Apple TV without gutting it- they're never gonna play in the firestick 30 dollar range, but it was a significant price drop. When the homepod rumors started leaking out I would have bet on $200 bucks or so as a step up from the mini but this is lollerskates. Oh well, maybe V.3 will be better.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Having used the other devices the Apple TV is absolutely worth the price.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The least believable part of that youtube video is Siri responding instantly with out any "on it"s or "just a sec"s and eventually timing out and saying to ask later.

Every review I've watched of a homepod mini, the fucker takes a good 2-5 seconds to answer anything.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Every review I've watched of a homepod mini, the fucker takes a good 2-5 seconds to answer anything.

I've got 6 minis in my house and a few seconds is pretty standard and acceptable, but every once in a while it goes full moron and will say "on it" 20 times in a row. I don't have any OG HomePods though, so I can't compare the processing times.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My original is noticeably slower than my Minis.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I dunno if this is where to put this but like I’ve got a homepod mini in my office pretty much just to airplay stuff from my phone.

But it does home assistant stuff too apparently? I just want a smart plug that I can turn on a heater in the morning. I looked up the ikea stuff but apparently you need a hub and you still need a separate app?

Is there anything that I can just buy that works with apple home stuff that doesn’t need another account or app?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If you just want a on/off outlet the wemo stuff I think works out of the box and sets up entirely on HomeKit without needing their app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If you just want a on/off outlet the wemo stuff I think works out of the box and sets up entirely on HomeKit without needing their app.

Yeah just doing a quick search shows that it can be configured in the home app. Didn’t realise they were a belkin thing as they seem to be fairly close to apple. That’s brilliant thanks