Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Kinda out of left field, but I’m reasonably sure that Gavlan and his Gyrm friends were originally supposed to be half your size.

If you look at the pants on their model they fit perfectly, but when you wear them they only come down to your knees, even though you’re about the same height as them. You can also see evidence of the change in Gavlan’s stein. It’s So Big.

I only wonder why they changed it. Maybe it was an issue with the hitboxes...

Anyway, I cosplayed a gyrm for my first playthrough. The anvil hammer is very effective, but strangely I got more pvp kills with the big stone shield jump attack. Nobody expects it!

I wish the bonewheel shield made it into this game. I’d powerstance ‘em and wheel/deal through the whole continent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

BattleCattle posted:

Kinda out of left field, but I’m reasonably sure that Gavlan and his Gyrm friends were originally supposed to be half your size.

If you look at the pants on their model they fit perfectly, but when you wear them they only come down to your knees, even though you’re about the same height as them. You can also see evidence of the change in Gavlan’s stein. It’s So Big.

I only wonder why they changed it. Maybe it was an issue with the hitboxes...

Anyway, I cosplayed a gyrm for my first playthrough. The anvil hammer is very effective, but strangely I got more pvp kills with the big stone shield jump attack. Nobody expects it!

I wish the bonewheel shield made it into this game. I’d powerstance ‘em and wheel/deal through the whole continent.

Gavlan drinks loads so the big Stein makes sense. Just from the perspective of the mannikins, you can get their armor and they're definitely smaller than the player. I can also think of a few armor pieces (bosses specifically) that the PC can wear which are scaled waaaaay down.

gibb3h
Jul 15, 2014

I made a thing!

not figured out how to get chartjs to display animated gifs yet but i'll keep it updated :byoscience:

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I may be wrong, in fact it’s likely I’m making this up, but you cannot take tiny Gavlan from my beautiful dreams.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

BattleCattle posted:

I may be wrong, in fact it’s likely I’m making this up, but you cannot take tiny Gavlan from my beautiful dreams.

Ds2 in particular has no one really sure what's going on. Everything is a little off and weird. Go tiny gavlan go.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I was really confused for a second why pate didn't have more to say, and then I remembered dark souls 2's npc gimmick and I'm annoyed again.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

Ds2 in particular has no one really sure what's going on. Everything is a little off and weird. Go tiny gavlan go.

Even the structure of the first act builds up on this. You are just wondering around with just the vague instructions of going out and killing four mega bosses.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dark Souls 1 had an Arthurian mythic vibe, while 2 went more towards fairy tales but also combined it with treating 1 with still that forgotten mythic quality. So you have things like Belfry Luna's backstory with princes and dwarves while also being an explicit reference to the Chosen Undead's quest, new gods with Gwyn's pantheon being long forgotten (check who the warriors of the sun covenant are championing now!), Drangleic being ancient and gone in memory before entering the Things Betwixt while the kingdoms it was built on and parts of Drangleic itself still remain, space and time distorting. DS2 is doing a lot at once.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 15, 2018

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

double nine posted:

I was really confused for a second why pate didn't have more to say, and then I remembered dark souls 2's npc gimmick and I'm annoyed again.
You mean the "If you're not Lucatiel, you may as well not have bothered to open your mouth" or the "few lines" gimmick?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

no, the thing with being 'penalized' if you solo the bosses

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

double nine posted:

I actually went through there last night and when I talked to him he had the extra dialogue. For a minute I was like, "Huh, why didn't Geop get...ohhhhh."

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

double nine posted:

His line is a weird hint. Pate essentially expects the player to investigate the treasure on the other side of the door. He has more to say if you manage to do it, but Geop didn't go for it (or didn't catch the message that the co-comment crew was hinting at).

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Geop missed a lot of stuff (not that I blame him, Earthen Peak is a pain in the rear end and probably my least favorite level in the game.) I expect the co-commentators will prod him into getting the rest of it eventually.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, I'm fine with them going thru it quickly. Iron keep's going to be a hoot, though. It's a real gauntlet of bullshit.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gimbal lock posted:

Yeah, I'm fine with them going thru it quickly. Iron keep's going to be a hoot, though. It's a real gauntlet of bullshit.

Don't ring my bell

Don't cross my bridge

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Demon's great hammer is very fun to use. You should try it, Geop.

(you can always try the Large Club first, very similar moveset)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Don't ring my bell

Don't cross my bridge

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Power stance Gyrm Axes for lyfe.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Power stanced Demon's Great Hammers. :getin:

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Almost all great hammers are amazing to powerstance. I took a break from my caestus guy to powerstance large clubs because I was farming several dozen of a certain quest item in a very lategame area. Being able to pancake the waves of enemies was extremely handy.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I powerstanced Great + Large Club for a chunk of game since that brought me just past the one-shot threshold for a few enemies, notably the lion warrior dudes. You can ignore shields because your stagger damage is astronomical, if your attack isn't one of the shield-ignoring pancaking ones to begin with. Plus, it looks awesome!

However, your swing times with two great weapons are huge and stamina costs match which makes it pretty niche at the best of times, and a direct liability against bosses and other things you can't one-shot. On the whole powerstancing just isn't that good with most of the great weapons and you're better off just two handing. Unfortunately. Faster weapons tend to have better powerstances.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Powerstance greatswords are a lot of fun! Just hugely impractical. Dual rapiers on the other hand are goddamned easy mode but still hilariously fun because of it.

I'll still always summon dual greatsword boys over anyone though because they Get It(tm).

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Tempest_56 posted:

Power stanced Demon's Great Hammers. :getin:
Did it, was fun even though I was horrid at it.

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

Playing with no armor and powerstanced great weapons is seriously delightful, it's the main reason I love DS2 the most.

Swork
Sep 5, 2011

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
to be funny
Y'all acting like if Geop was going to powerstance it would be anything but dual claws.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Swork posted:

Y'all acting like if Geop was going to powerstance it would be anything but dual claws.

I don't think anything will ever lure him away from his shield for more than a session.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Obligatum VII posted:

I don't think anything will ever lure him away from his shield for more than a session.

Two-handing a greatshield does surprising damage!

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
You can powerstance shields, right? Or am I mistaken?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

My Cuck Dad posted:

You can powerstance shields, right? Or am I mistaken?
You absolutely can. The other NPC he summoned for the Sinner fight was doing it.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
You can powerstance any weapons including shields or catalysts as long as you have the 1.5x stats for them, but as Kuvo mentioned in the video, there’s a huge spreadsheet of weapons you can powerstance together. The weapons don’t have to be exact same, just ”similar”.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Laputanmachine posted:

You can powerstance any weapons including shields or catalysts as long as you have the 1.5x stats for them.

I don't believe that's true. There's only a specific pair of shields that have a powerstance move set, although you can certainly wield a shield in each hand much earlier if you want. Catalysts, chimes and flames do not have a powerstance under any circumstances unless I'm completely misremembering.

For weapons there are restrictions but it's not strictly by category.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

double nine posted:

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.

This made me realize that there exists most definitely at least one Dark Souls AMV set to 'Light my Fire', and I'm not sure whether I should like or hate that thought.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Been getting caught up on the lp and loving it. Here's a good cat.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/988180994749620226

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes

my buddy Superfly posted:

Been getting caught up on the lp and loving it. Here's a good cat.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/988180994749620226

Not gonna lie, that is a good cat.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Slight delay on this session btw. The recording crash led to an mp4 recovery nightmare, so I'm in the process of stitching audio/video desync stuff together.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Geop posted:

Slight delay on this session btw. The recording crash led to an mp4 recovery nightmare, so I'm in the process of stitching audio/video desync stuff together.

Pretty sure that's what happened with the game. They were programming everything in real time, got through the windmill, everything crashed, so they had to cobble together "giant volcano lair" in the aftermath.

Take your time, it'll be worth it.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Hi I got caught up on the lp and then made more art!

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/993335258622971904

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I just finished all of geop's Dark Souls 1 LP videos to be ready for DS2. Now I'm excited to dive right in!

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
It's a Dark Souls miracle!

• Locked thread