Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Violator
May 15, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

I'm honestly not sure where you inferred that I "decided I was too strong for scary movies" or that was the point of the post. It's supposed to be a fun thread for people who have watched too much horror and your trying to project intent on to it that I never had, and I think it's weird as hell that you took it as bragging.

What is your avatar from? That's growdy!!!

I think the last time I got scared from a movie was from, as silly as it sounds, the first Paranormal Activity. After seeing it in theater I went home and got on my treadmill in a dimly lit room in the middle of the night with a big mirror behind me and I was creeped out. That rarely happens any more.

But what does creep me out pretty often is listening to podcasts about spooky stuff. Maybe because I have to imagine it, but listening to supposedly real (hah!) stories about werewolf encounters, bigfoot attacks, ghosts, UFO abductions, etc. actually does creep me out. And that I go on walks late at night around my neighborhood and around the woods listening to that stuff really makes it hit. Every time I get back to my house at night I assume I'm going to look over at my neighbor's deck and see a dogman standing there and staring at me.

I don't think fantastical horror or slashers scare me, but if you take something scary and put it in an any-man situation it would work better. Like The Edge is probably scarier than The Wolfman for me at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
mother! scared my entire brain, mostly because it was an almost exact copy of all of my anxiety dreams.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

To be fair, you came out swinging right away with a pretty offensive autism comment, so you set the tone there. Luckily we're in a separate thread so it can't infect the actual horror thread, which should be protected from this kind of crap.

You are right that was a bullshit comment and I apologize. It just seemed the most appropriate thing that sprung to mind reading owlofcreamcheeses posts .He’s just missing the point in this way I’m not even sure how to respond to. Like, I'm just gonna stop responding to him, but calling him Autistic isn't cool.

Violator posted:

What is your avatar from? That's growdy!!!

A game called Mother Russia Bleeds.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 15, 2018

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

For me, the thing about horror is that it's way, way more blatant about copy-cat productions than most other genres.

You get one paranormal activity, already a mediocre movie but what it did was sorta novel and it did well, so naturally you have all of its sequels plus a fuckton of other movies more or less aping the concept until everyone hates it.

The ring did the same poo poo.

the only horror movie that actually affected me in a freaked out/spooky kind of way was V/H/S. V/H/S 2 kind of maintains the quality but is suffering by the third installment. Some of the shorts are just typical horror but there were a couple that really threw me and made me start seriously looking for good horror movies to experience again.

so to me, the business of making horror movies, which is wait for an indie film to be a moderate success and then run that poo poo into the ground, is the reason we're so desensitized. There are very few people trying to do new things in the genre, even compared to other genres of film, and a whole lot of copycats. some are good at being copycats, so whatever, but that's the problem as i see it.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
Candyman and the original Inside are still scary, and depending on how far you're willing to stretch the definition, Come and See and 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days would also work.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

All that is going to happen is people are going to list movies generally seen as scary them you tell us your penis is huge because you were so brave while watching a movie

No, people are going to list movies, and when others ask what was scary about them they will say "It was real gross when his head got squashed" or describe some vaguely creepy scene that might be scary if you are 9 and have never seen a movie before.

Fake edit, I replied then went back and read the thread.
Yep, the comments are "this is creepy" and "this movie from years ago was scary"

504 fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 16, 2018

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

you're next is probably the last movie that really twisted my insides. but i haven't seen a lot of the new canon, like babadook and vvitch

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

R. Guyovich posted:

you're next is probably the last movie that really twisted my insides. but i haven't seen a lot of the new canon, like babadook and vvitch

I really responded to the VVitch, but it's definitely divisive. If you like quiet, slooooow burn dread punctuated by occasional scenes of terrible violence, I recommend!

I loved the Babadook too

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There's barely any violence in The VVitch. It's all in the slow burn.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

504 posted:

No, people are going to list movies, and when others ask what was scary about them they will say "It was real gross when his head got squashed" or describe some vaguely creepy scene that might be scary if you are 9 and have never seen a movie before.

Yep, the comments are "this is creepy" and "this movie from years ago was scary"

Why don't you tell us some old horror movies that you thought were scary and explain why you thought they were scary?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There's barely any violence in The VVitch. It's all in the slow burn.

I mean, what's there is pretty nasty, though. The pulped baby, the son's death and Black Phillip loving the dad up were all more brutal than I feel like I usually see in that kind of horror.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

married but discreet posted:

Why don't you tell us some old horror movies that you thought were scary and explain why you thought they were scary?

For that you should go to the horror thread.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

504 posted:

You're working off some super specific idea of what "scary" means and to me it's a pointless distinction.

A famous horror director, I think Carpenter but I can't find the exact quote right now, said that good horror is really about distrust in the director. You want the audience sitting there thinking "I don't trust this guy because it feels like he might show me something I don't want to see". Whether that's accomplished through slow-building atmospheric dread, or well-done gore effects, or other means, I think it's still successful "scary" horror.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

R. Guyovich posted:

You're Next is one of my favorite flicks of the last decade.

It's very rare that a horror or slasher pic sticks with you in this day and age. They really are so samey, and it's a genre that seriously lacks innovation (there have been some in recent years, I just wish there was more).

Answering the thread title, yeah I'm completely desensitized to any amount of gore or jump scares at this point. I don't know what the industry could show me. The challenge is incorporating a good story and good acting, good cinematography along with the spooks. That's what's missing right now.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, what's there is pretty nasty, though. The pulped baby, the son's death and Black Phillip loving the dad up were all more brutal than I feel like I usually see in that kind of horror.

The thing with the son is super disturbing but I honestly don't even recall it being brutal. Oh well, guess I gotta give one of my favorite horror movies of the past decade another watch!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

For that you should go to the horror thread.

Duh, but horror conoisseur 504 doesn't post there and I want to benefit from his wisdom and undoubtedly excellent taste.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The thing with the son is super disturbing but I honestly don't even recall it being brutal. Oh well, guess I gotta give one of my favorite horror movies of the past decade another watch!

The way you hear his jaw just crunching apart as the apple comes out of his mouth in particular made me cringe like gently caress when I saw it in the theater.

e: like, honestly, I think sound design does more for me in horror than visual gore.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: like, honestly, I think sound design does more for me in horror than visual gore.

A recent one that comes to my mind immediately is Evil Dead, the scene where the girl is cutting her face off. The sound was definitely what made me look away from the screen, not the actual gore.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the bit with the crow definitely gets a strong cringe reaction out of me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I left this open for a little bit but unsurprisingly it's gone exactly how I thought it would.

If you want to talk about Horror head on over to the excellent Horror thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3030395

• Locked thread