Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What a strange little minigame. It doesn't seem like there's a lot of risk to it. Was anything even targeting you on the overworld map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Glazius posted:

What a strange little minigame. It doesn't seem like there's a lot of risk to it. Was anything even targeting you on the overworld map?

if you attack enemy forces, they will shoot you back, and as far as I know, it's impossible to dodge. if you aren't close enough in level, they hit like a truck. the formula will change ever so slightly with the bonus objectives in some later ones

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So hey, it's been a little while, sorry about the delay there. A little bit of work, a little bit of Tokyo Xanadu, and then I had to go turn in all the souls I collected along the way to the mechanical necronomicon I have in my apartment. You know, normal, everyday stuff.

:siren: Part 5: Altocrystarium :siren:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
And you people thought the “Big Book of War Crimes” was just us being rhetorical :devil:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I don't think I ever bothered with magic since I used one of Trey/King/Cater/Ace everytime.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'd be honored if my soul was used to make Fire Bolt deal 3 more damage but take another half a second to cast.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Question for the people who played this game. What did you like about it to keep playing after the first hour or so?

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I was legitimately intrigued by the story. I wanted to see where they took this war where each fallen soldier basically stops existing.

Also, the general RPG satisfaction of making numbers bigger.

In regards to the magic buffing, you didn't even mention the extra special and annoyingly rare White Phantomas. The ones that let you get a MASSIVE boost to a parameter with no penalty in another.

I spent way more time than I really should have farming for those in order to maximize all my spells. Far too much. It's a major part of why I burnt out on NG+

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Dance Officer posted:

Question for the people who played this game. What did you like about it to keep playing after the first hour or so?

I liked the story it was telling and I genuinely enjoyed the battle system because I could just choose the people I liked and use them all the time.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
That red script scrolling by in the big book of war crimes looks a little, uh

Marker-y.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The spell tweaking mechanic seems kinda dumb - you're not only spending resources but eating penalties to other attributes.

Aside from the soul eating thing.

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

I enjoyed the battle system a lot, compared to FF15 i actually finished type-0 and stopped playing 15 just because i didnt like the battle system that much

The major story didn't grab me that much, but a lot of minor plot points got me really invested: Things such as this games lcies, the forgetting memories, and a few more that delve into spoiler territory.

give head or get dead fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 25, 2018

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
G'day Remmo

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Dance Officer posted:

The battle system was fun, and I was intrigued by the 'forgetting the dead' concept. I wasn't a fan of this game overall, though. And I say this as someone who loves FFVIII, XIII and XV, so I don't think it's a case of having overly high standards.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

The spell tweaking mechanic seems kinda dumb - you're not only spending resources but eating penalties to other attributes.

Aside from the soul eating thing.

Yeah, that would be a huge turnoff for me. It looks like it's pretty consistently more of a penalty than a bonus, too? So you're actively making your spells overall worse by tweaking them, at the cost of resources, with a pointless randomization element to boot! Fun.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Yeah, it looks like a pretty bad mechanic. I could take the min/maxing but it has an actual cost, so you're constantly losing in one or another area by using it and you have to pay with a limited resource too. It'd make me not want to use it at all.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It makes thematic sense for the Altocrystarium to be a negative-sum game that will eventually grind you down to nothing, but it's just not enough. "You're child soldiers making a deal with the devil to win the war at any cost, by using the souls of your fallen enemies to power your magic. Mechanically, this is conveyed as a series of tiny incremental sidegrades to your spells."

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 6: A Casual Disregard for Life :siren:

I'm willing to cop to probably making this harder than it needed to be, but I still stand by this mission being an unnecessary difficulty spike.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Rem is indeed peak Mage. She has the highest magic stats of all of 'em.

Some characters MIGHT match/slightly-surpass her in a single magic category, but she has very high stats in all four of them.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
It should be illegal to have two stupid and yet similar-sounding names on two sides of a conflict. We already have Cater in our party, do we really need an enemy commander named Qator?

Also I will admit that the only reason I'm interested in this game was because I played Theatrhythm and thought "wow this boss music is pretty awesome".

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So is Rem permadead from that summon, or is it the Final Fantasy dead where you rest it off in an inn?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

So is Rem permadead from that summon, or is it the Final Fantasy dead where you rest it off in an inn?

I will have an incredible amount of respect for this game if we see Valkyria Chronicles 1 levels of permadeath (which they got rid of in VC2, unfortunately)

It would be awesome to see your roster being filled with assistant producers and map programmers because they need to fill the character roster... and why not use characters you used before?

In VC1, when your teammates died (supposedly, because I never let mine die), nothing would happen initially since you generally had a sizeable reserve. But as that depletes, you get generic characters that do not get any special abilities that are not innate to their class, and their death messages are absolutely heartbreaking

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

As hilarious as it would be to just permanently kill off one of your main characters that early, Rem is just Final Fantasy Dead™.

For now. :commissar:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

el dorito posted:

I will have an incredible amount of respect for this game if we see Valkyria Chronicles 1 levels of permadeath (which they got rid of in VC2, unfortunately)

It would be awesome to see your roster being filled with assistant producers and map programmers because they need to fill the character roster... and why not use characters you used before?

In VC1, when your teammates died (supposedly, because I never let mine die), nothing would happen initially since you generally had a sizeable reserve. But as that depletes, you get generic characters that do not get any special abilities that are not innate to their class, and their death messages are absolutely heartbreaking
That only worked because VC1 didn't have individual character levels, or really any meaningful character-specific abilities. The system where you promote individual characters using finite resources is why it's not in VC2. This game seems to have even more of a traditional RPG character progression, so you'd have to flatten the power curve a lot and do like a Firaxis XCOM thing where a fresh recruit can still get a lot done with the right equipment.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Didn't someone say that white phantoma levels up spells without reducing any stats? It seemed like you were getting a lot of it in the video.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Hello, yes.

White Phantoma are indeed how you level up spells with no detriment. Specifically the Ivory variant.

They are just really REALLY rare. Single digit drop rate rare, and only from 'strong' enemies. Grunts/mooks will never give you your precious Ivory souls. Gotta kill officer level enemies.

Weeble fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 3, 2018

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Rem is indeed one of the better melee characters because she's the Thief archetype of Speed attacks. Her melee moves are very good at keeping her safe, her only problem is that she's a Normal person aka not a real Class 0.

If you don't care about having high mission ranks like Artix, Eidolons are basically easy I-Win buttons because you just cast Life before summoning for infinite power.

Defense in this game is hard until you unlock everyone's infinite dodge. Cater is a good example of this, because she's kinda middling until she gets infinite dodge when she can safely charge her gun then.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, the gently caress is up with Eidolons? Swapping our your zippy character for a huge Captain Slow who eats all the incidental fire and folds like a cheap suit?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Well, Ifrit in that mission is a tutorial summon. You get much, much better summons and upgraded versions.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

You really don't want l'cie to be fighting l'cie huh.

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
L'cie are effectively strategic weapons, ie, nukes. Note how the fortress that everyone fought and died over is now a smoking hole in the ground, making all that death and bloodshed for absolutely nothing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

There's a difference between ranks in L'Cie. What you just saw was the SSS versions.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
this is a good rear end thread and a good rear end LP. Keep it up

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 7: This Setting is So hosed Up :siren:

In honor of Memorial Day, this episode is dedicated to all the brave soldiers who gave their lives to protect this proud nation of Rubrum.

Just kidding, we don't know any soldiers who have died in battle.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
who's the ported atelier protagonist, i didn't catch any ornate headgear at all so far in this game

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
The polite word for Cinque is 'airhead'.

Also: In this world every tomb is the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Weeble posted:

The polite word for Cinque is 'airhead'.

Also: In this world every tomb is the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

True, on its head. It's just that the writing and voice acting for her lend to some very obvious and very unfortunate connotations about her character that probably shouldn't be there.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

The story has some interesting ideas. I'd intrigued enough to want to see how things go.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 8: My Boyfriend Turned Into a Frog??!? :siren:

In which we tackle an actual sidequest, and set people on fire for mother. Like all good children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wait, so you found a person that's been turned into a frog and that's it? What happens inside the cave has no connection whatsoever to him? That's so weird.

• Locked thread