Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

CapnAndy posted:

Has there been any word or a leaked synopsis or anything that explains where the Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis' ghosts have gotten off to? They were the main characters god drat it :mad:

I would be absolutely shocked if they didn't have a cameo or something in it. Hollywood can't do this type of movie without getting everyone possible back, unless they bring serious baggage (see: Jeffrey Jones)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Shooting Blanks posted:

I would be absolutely shocked if they didn't have a cameo or something in it. Hollywood can't do this type of movie without getting everyone possible back, unless they bring serious baggage (see: Jeffrey Jones)

I know they aged Beetlejuice up a bit, but he still mostly looks like himself. Alec Baldwin looks nothing like he did in the first one, so that would be a bit of an ask for the audience, unless you explained it away.

De-aging CGI can only do so much.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Alec Baldwin also has some baggage

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

lol this is a deep cut

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

whydirt posted:

Alec Baldwin also has some baggage

lol I was gonna say he's pretty busy going to trial for killing someone

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
I know it's just a teaser, and it's not for us but for the mainstream, but holy poo poo that thing sucks

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Between Beetlejuice Beetlejuice and Gladiator 2, this is a big year for sequels that didn't use their wilder original script ideas.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

live with fruit posted:

Between Beetlejuice Beetlejuice and Gladiator 2, this is a big year for sequels that didn't use their wild original script ideas.

Never put it together before but now I want Gladiator Goes Hawaiian.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

live with fruit posted:

Between Beetlejuice Beetlejuice and Gladiator 2, this is a big year for sequels that didn't use their wilder original script ideas.

What were the wilder original script ideas?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Jerkface posted:

What were the wilder original script ideas?

Beetlejuice Goes Hawaiian and Maximus is eternal and fights in every war ever.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

No Hawaii, no sale. This is the hill I choose to die on.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

The funeral of....

The father from the first movie. Charles Deetz. You can make out his face on the tombstone. For reasons we are all aware of there was no way they were going to bring him back.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 21, 2024

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

live with fruit posted:

Maximus is eternal and fights in every war ever.

Rebooting Gladiator and Highlander in one go seems ambitious.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
If you're wondering why Maximus was fighting in every war, it's because IIRC he was cursed/fated to do it, because he's the Roman soldier in the Bible that killed Christ.

It really is a bonkers, extremely out-of-the-box script.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If you're wondering why Maximus was fighting in every war, it's because IIRC he was cursed/fated to do it, because he's the Roman soldier in the Bible that killed Christ.

Nick Cave, right? If I have that correct, yeah it’s crazy but sounds about right.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

...and the minor detail where Gladiator 1 took place in 180 AD was going to be explained how exactly?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

CapnAndy posted:

...and the minor detail where Gladiator 1 took place in 180 AD was going to be explained how exactly?

You saying he didn't fight a war in that one?
He just doesn't go around telling people, it's a bit embarrassing you know.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

how do you think he rose to the rank of general he can't die!!

GLADIATOR$

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Lizard Combatant posted:

You saying he didn't fight a war in that one?
He just doesn't go around telling people, it's a bit embarrassing you know.
I am saying that that plot plays out a skosh differently if he's immortal and has known about it for a century and a half, yes.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Wasn’t it the other way around? The Roman gods cursed him to walk the earth forever because he wouldn’t kill Christ for them?

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

I thought I recongnized that plot. Its Casca!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819409&pagenumber=1

I'd pay so much money to see Russell Crowe in all the different hats.

Fatty fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 22, 2024

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I can't decide if the slow cover of Day-O is a funny joke or a terrible choice.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

CapnAndy posted:

I am saying that that plot plays out a skosh differently if he's immortal and has known about it for a century and a half, yes.

He just needs a lie down at the end.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

I kind of groaned tbh

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

kiimo posted:

I kind of groaned tbh

Especially since the trailer makes it seem diegetic. "When I die, play the music that a ghost made us sing when he possessed our bodies before killing our friends."

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

MonsieurChoc posted:

Watching some folks online flip out as if it was the worse thing of all time certainly is eye roll worthy.

Not you OP, but the way some are responding to it screams those types are a lot of fun to be around.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Monkey Man looks hype. Some solid action films coming out in the next few months

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

sure but if we’re being honest this is just business in america. most people have seen, in their own careers, the equivalent of ari emanuel’s nephew’s roommate getting a juicy acting role over a julliard grad. at least we know dev patel is talented and has spent a lot of time on set working with good, skilled directors. if i were an indie director struggling to get something greenlit id be a lot more pissed off about john krasinski getting directing jobs

A Quiet Place was very well directed, wtf are you talking about. Number 2 as well.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CelestialScribe posted:

A Quiet Place was very well directed, wtf are you talking about. Number 2 as well.

its entirely bc of his politics not his talent fyi lol. honestly i don't give a crap jim makes movies. i wont see imagine or whatever bc it looks lame but id see another horror by him.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
nah a quiet place isn't that good its not just all politics lol

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
The Alien one looks entertaining enough to me. Groundbreaking? No, but I always prefer a creature feature to run-of-the-mill slasher crap.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

That second monkey man trailer felt like it spoiled too many moments and set pieces. Even if there's still probably cool poo poo, it feels like one of those whole movie in a trailer trailers. It did the opposite of hype me up and I wish I didn't see it, even though I'm still looking forward to it.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 22, 2024

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

GrandpaPants posted:

That second monkey man trailer felt like it spoiled too many moments and set pieces. Even if there's still probably cool poo poo, it feels like one of those whole movie in a trailer trailers. It did the opposite of hype me up and I wish I didn't see it, even though I'm still looking forward to it.

It does show a bit of everything, but they're still cutting around the violence and there's plenty left.

That said if a film already has you interested, I find it's better not to watch any more trailers after that (sorry kiimo). I get marketing is to build hype, but people do work hard to make a film surprising and have payoffs while the trailer people sometimes feel like the aunt giving a kid the whole bowl of frosting.

I remember watching 2049 in Tokyo and they got it months late and it was a mission to avoid the late game trailers.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 22, 2024

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Lizard Combatant posted:

That said if a film already has you interested, I find it's better not to watch any more trailers after that (sorry kiimo). I get marketing is to build hype, but people do work hard to make a film surprising and have payoffs while the trailer people sometimes feel like the aunt giving a kid the whole bowl of frosting.

Yeah, it was entirely self inflicted, but I assumed I'd be seeing that trailer like every week at the theater. I did not know the film comes out in like two weeks, so that's a pleasant surprise.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wizchine posted:

The Alien one looks entertaining enough to me. Groundbreaking? No, but I always prefer a creature feature to run-of-the-mill slasher crap.

Fede saying they wanted to basically do an Alien movie like a concert where they play all the hits and some new songs is very apt and 100% what I want from this franchise. It sounds maybe a little cynical but I enjoy seeing this monster run around when it gets a chance and it’s just great to see.

Prey was the same way. It was very much a man vs monster movie in the same vein as the others, but the unique setting and main character really elevated it to a new height imo.

But I’ll still always lament we’ll never get a proper finale to Prometheus/Covenant, but I’m happy enough for a solid back to the basics entry over a weepy nostalgia piece where Weaver comes back or whatever

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

scary ghost dog posted:

if i were an indie director struggling to get something greenlit id be a lot more pissed off about john krasinski getting directing jobs

I went and saw Ghostbusters 4 yesterday and this trailer played before it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss2KvK-w6w8

Written, produced, directed and co-starred by Krasinski, he's taking all the jobs!

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I’m kind of the same. Sort of in the same way that I’d always show up to see John Wick kill more table assassins ad infinitum.

I do think he’s put quite a lot of thought into returning to those worlds in a fairly novel way and has the potential for interesting themes. The background of the characters makes them sympathetic and has a nice real world relatability in a manner similar to space truckers too.

But even if that wasn’t the case, I’m kinda always glad to see that world and those vibes show up with good production values.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The IMDB cast list has a few surprises, they've got Willem Dafoe in an undisclosed role and Monica Bellucci listed as "Beetlejuice's Wife"

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

CelestialScribe posted:

the point of comprison was dev patel who was in the green knight which is one of the best movies ever and hes making monkey man which is obviously a thousand times better than either quiet place movie. and thats not even getting into how those movies are terrible to begin with. you buffoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
A quiet place was... fine, wasn't it? Only saw it the once and it didn't seem like the kind of film to generate strong opinions on (unless the director's gone off the rails or something and it's that "it was always bad" revisionism).