Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Megasabin posted:

The zombies in that trailer gave me Ghosts of Mars vibes.

I had the exact same thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

why would that be pronounced like fax and not like effects

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Roth posted:

What is this based on? I know less about Spielberg, but I know for Lucas he did oversee the editing of A New Hope so it seems a bit silly to perpetuate the idea that Marcia Lucas somehow salvaged his movie without his knowledge.

who said it was without his knowledge?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shageletic posted:

I've heard good things about the 2015 Macbeth, need to watch it.

This is horrible to admit, but I didn't mind the Mel Gibson one. Wonder if I could stomach it now.

I think I thought the Ethan Hawke modern one was stupid as hell? Can't remember

the 2015 Macbeth is eeeeeeeeeehhhhh.

the Mel Gibson and Ethan Hawke ones you're thinking of were both actually Hamlet.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Otoh if you like to get worked up about movies by problematic people, the Polanski Macbeth is incredible

it's good but Throne of Blood is still the best screen Macbeth imo. I still haven't seen the Welles one.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

PeterCat posted:

So they're doing a 4 year time skip from Halloween 18 and Halloween Kills to Halloween Ends?

I'm hoping they bring back Josh Hartnett and Paul Rudd for the finale.

they offered Paul Rudd the role and he turned it down to do that awful looking new Ghostbusters movie.

yes, I'm mad about it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Does that movie hold up? Only seen it the once

It's worth at least one rewatch, I think it's pretty fun. It's like a thousand times better an adaptation of a trashy potboiler than Fincher's Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

even allowing that you don't like his alien movies, you think all of matchstick men, american gangster, black hawk down, kingdom of heaven, the martian, AND the last duel are bad movies? no accounting for taste i suppose, but what a spectrum to dismiss

i'm not the person being asked, but: yes. well, I haven't seen The Last Duel.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

People who post action movies that happen to take place at Christmas (Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, Long Kiss Goodnight) in an effort to be different always strike me as silly. Like, I think you know what everyone is talking about, and you're impressing no one.

I don't think it's an effort to be different, I think it's just that those movies are good and most "Christmas Movies" suck

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I still need to see the Hammer Rasputin movie with Christopher Lee, been on my watchlist forever

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lobok posted:

Moon Knight's costume is maybe the most extreme version of how colouring and shading in comics can produce a radically different costume visually compared to what it's "supposed" to look like. He'll be wearing a costume that is clearly all white but then you'll see something in dialogue or the narration about how his costume has lots of black. And then there designs that actually are definitely black. Or parts that should be white, like his mask, but are so often in shadow they are effectively black.

So really you can do all kinds of variations of white and black (and can't forget silver) for a live action costume and they could arguably be equally comic-accurate, even from the same era and artist.

Yeah it's a costume that can look loving awesome in the comic book medium but is very hard to make work in live action. Another reason comics are a superior medium.

Still, this is the rare contemporary Marvel Studios project that actually interests me, I love the character, I love Oscar Isaac and Ethan Hawke, and I love Benson & Moorhead who are directing a couple episodes (I know directors on Marvel projects rarely get to do anything interesting but who knows). I have no idea who told Oscar to do the goofy British accent though. I hope it was his own idea.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

For some reason every time I read Alex Garland I think Andrew Niccol. It means that the way my brain processes any news of a new Garland project is: I get excited because it's something from the creator of Gattaca, disappointed because I remember what his careers was like after Gattaca, then excited again because I remember who the news is actually about.

I liked Lord of War

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ad Astra could've been quite good if not for the god awful studio imposed voiceover narration

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Luis Guzman is a great pick for Gomez but they have to let him do his "I am the ultimate Latin Lover" speech from Boogie Nights.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

confused posted:

Man... I'm getting old. I can't believe Crystal Skull came out 14 years ago. I never saw it. I'm actually surprised to see that the last Spielberg movie I've seen was Catch Me If You Can. I've seen all of his movies up until that one, but none of them since then. Any that I really should watch?

Minority Report came out the same year as Catch Me If You Can and it rocks, Munich is very good, Lincoln is okay.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The visual aesthetic is way ahead of its time, but the plot devices are absolute fluff, it's simply not weird enough for PKD and leans hard on cliche.

I actually kinda like the way PKD's cynical weirdness butts up against Spielberg's populism. It's similar to the clashing tones in AI, but it works better in Minority Report IMO.

I do wish they had kept the originally scripted title card at the end about the murder rate shooting back up once they stopped using the precogs

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

I love all the shots that are clearly Panos Cosmatos' episode and then everything else looks like underlit Mike Flannagan-y Netflix horror.

the David Prior episode is gonna be the highlight, bet on it

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

yeah for a Coen Brothers/Spielberg team up, Bridge of Spies was very dull

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

precision posted:

hits different after Crimes of the Future seemed like Cronenberg unsubtly criticizing his son

everybody seems to think ear guy from Crimes was unsubtly criticizing something different. i think it's kind of a rorschach test for whatever middlebrow pretentious art the viewer doesn't like.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

4x3 is cool but The Whale looks goddamn embarrassing

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I don’t think Aronofsky has done anything even passable really since The Fountain and even that one i’m iffy on so i’m fine with this killing his career

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ruddiger posted:

I’m coming off the top rope like the Wrestler for this post.

The Wrestler was the exact same kind of schmaltzy oscarbait that The Whale looks to be but it was worth it for Rowdy Roddy Piper’s character on Always Sunny

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Every post just proves you have some guttertrash taste in movies. Lol

look i know better than to argue with someone who is both a Snyder Sicko and the president of the Brendan Fraser fanclub.

I liked The Mummy (1999)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

Awesome. I've only seen Meek's Cutoff, Certain Women, and First Cow, and loved all of them. Are here other movies all equally good?

Old Joy is good

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

I think the series should have been called Evil Read, because they read a book

true story: the original was almost called Book of the Dead but they changed it because they didn't want to scare young people away by having "book" in the title

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

precision posted:

The first film in the "nic cage owns" Renaissance was Bad Lieutenant, not Mandy

absolutely.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BonoMan posted:

I mean it will never get better than Raising Arizona so absolutely start (or end) there.

it sucks that he never worked with the Coens again although how could he top H.I. McDonagh

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

Early contender for trailer of the year imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuiWDn976Ek

I kind of think this trailer makes it look like a colossal misfire, but in a way that makes me very curious, as opposed to, say, the Babylon trailer, which made it look like a colossal misfire in a way that I knew to stay away from.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the real crime of Scream 5 was CGI Skeet Ulrich

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

checkplease posted:

I’m kind of surprised the Soviet film industry never detonated one for a movie to show up Hollywood.

if they did the US absolutely would've nuked them lol

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i think they should make more money, personally

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mortal Kombat >>>>> Street Fighter > Super Mario Bros. > Double Dragon

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

I’m sure this is a fine movie but it just made me want to watch First Reformed again because that movie is a masterpiece

if you slept on The Card Counter that was really good too

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Oh I’m sure I’m in the minority on mr wes

he peaked over twenty years ago and i never really need to see another movie from him again

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Royal Tenenbaums also has easily the best performance Anderson got out of anybody in Gene Hackman

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jedit posted:

I parsed that as "the best performance anybody got out of Gene Hackman" and wondered what the hell you'd been smoking.

nonononono

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

never saw Isle of Dogs but wasn't it kind of unanimously agreed to be his worst movie and also kind of racist

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Really? I thought he was a Batman satire.

Actually asking, I don't know a ton about Watchmen, and know nothing about Blue Beetle.

technically he's based on the previous Blue Beetle who was just a gadget guy with a beetle shaped jet.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Batman might be the most boring superhero movie I've ever seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Thaddius the Large posted:

So we’ve already had Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla, what’re the other classic big bads they’ve got to fight?

Gigan, Hedorah, Megalon.

i'm pretty burnt on the Legendary series though, i just want that Shin Ultraman blu ray to drop

edit: i forgot Mechani-Kong, Mechani-Kong could get me back in