Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Not quite, he just did a stretch of the edit for MM in Adelaide... And intervened during a knife attack in a 7-11 lol

e: to clarify, the particulars of the attack itself weren't exactly "lol" - more so the absurdity of the situation

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Holding out for a deep fake Bill Paxton ascending into the tornado on a home made weather machine in the opening scene.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Lol kiimo y'all gave them a trailer with zero monkey imagery and just the title drop. I mean, I'm sure it's got people talking.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

kiimo posted:

The domestic team created in two days when an opportunity arose to place it in the Super Bowl

Oh, I'm not knocking it! Bet someone signed off on that idea not expecting to actually have to pay for it (assuming you only pay if it airs, i don't know how it works)

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

BonoMan posted:

Man that really REALLY looks dumb. Even for most monster movies.

Skull Island continues to be the only good western Kong movie (although PJ's holds a special place in my heart even though not being great).

And I think John C Reilly accounts for about 40% of the quality of that movie.

Agreed

Turns out paying a bit more than lip service to the human plot makes for a better movie.

King of the Monsters was one of the worst cinema experiences I've had and I checked out from this series after that.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Still think we were robbed of a Dennis Hopper biopic of Trump.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
It definitely looks like the Fallout 4 movie and not the Fallout 1, 2 or New Vegas movie I'd hope for, but... I'm a sucker for Goggins

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

kiimo posted:

Nice Guys is the best.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Ehud posted:

Monkey Man looks awesome

but man, I can't stand that Phil Collins song

I dunno man, the lyrics fit. It's a jam.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 21, 2024

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Rageaholic posted:

Teaser for Fede Alvarez's new Alien: Romulus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTNMt84KT0k

Looks like it's taking place on a spaceship just like the first Alien

e: According to Wiki, this takes place between Alien and Aliens

I'm more looking forward to Noah Hawley's Alien adjacent series, but if this can deliver on horror I'll be happy to see it in theatres.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

CapnAndy posted:

...and the minor detail where Gladiator 1 took place in 180 AD was going to be explained how exactly?

You saying he didn't fight a war in that one?
He just doesn't go around telling people, it's a bit embarrassing you know.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

CapnAndy posted:

I am saying that that plot plays out a skosh differently if he's immortal and has known about it for a century and a half, yes.

He just needs a lie down at the end.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

GrandpaPants posted:

That second monkey man trailer felt like it spoiled too many moments and set pieces. Even if there's still probably cool poo poo, it feels like one of those whole movie in a trailer trailers. It did the opposite of hype me up and I wish I didn't see it, even though I'm still looking forward to it.

It does show a bit of everything, but they're still cutting around the violence and there's plenty left.

That said if a film already has you interested, I find it's better not to watch any more trailers after that (sorry kiimo). I get marketing is to build hype, but people do work hard to make a film surprising and have payoffs while the trailer people sometimes feel like the aunt giving a kid the whole bowl of frosting.

I remember watching 2049 in Tokyo and they got it months late and it was a mission to avoid the late game trailers.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 22, 2024

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
A quiet place was... fine, wasn't it? Only saw it the once and it didn't seem like the kind of film to generate strong opinions on (unless the director's gone off the rails or something and it's that "it was always bad" revisionism).

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Northman was absolutely a miss for me, but I'm looking forward to this one.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I like vibe movies just fine, but Northman was pretty plotty and it could only function if every character was a complete idiot. Some truly painful dialogue as well.

It's like it didn't know what it wanted to be, an epic poem or grounded, and not doing a great job of either.

The knattleikr game is the only time the film feels like it knows what it's doing.

But he's earned enough goodwill that I'll still go see Nosferatu blind.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 16, 2024

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I want to resent this film for inevitably being the shot of adrenaline that'll restart the heart of super hero movies for another decade plus. Feels like they've been on life support for so long and we were this close to being able to move on. I thought for sure that Guardians 3 sucking poo poo would have been the death knell.

Ah well, it'll probably be fun. But gently caress you, Jackman, you could have said no.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
It's gonna do gang busters, and there'll be a sweep of announcements of new films following it. Bet on it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Sure, is that still a thing?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

mycot posted:

Yeah that is a weird one to single out. Not Quantumania? The Flash?

CelticPredator posted:

The Marvels, Aquaman 2, Shazam 2 lmao

Black Adam…just a string of misfires

Didn't watch any of those.

I singled out Guardians cause that series was "the good one" and I actually saw it. The drop in quality from even something like Endgame (the last MCU film I saw before that) was pretty drastic. Like cool, let's make a weirdly sadistic film "about" the raccoon and have him unconscious the whole time while everyone else does boring fetch quests. Then a bunch of cgi puppets can stiffly dance to Florence and the Machine like they're at gunpoint.

E: actually that's not true, i saw the spider man with the three spider lads as well but completely forgot about it.

Snooze Cruise posted:

i dunno, maybe, it should be a thing if it isn't just for this post, toxx urself B)

Consider it toxxed then.

Now that they've primed audiences to accept this anything-goes multiverse business, expect nothing but big high profile stunt event films for a good while. Plus the X-Men, Fantastic Dorks and the Canadian Avengers or something, I'd give specifics but I don't actually know any of these properties.

Oh I'd also put money on Sony trying a live action version of their Spider man cartoon.

Jedit posted:

I expect the conversation went something like this:

Exec: Mr Jackman, we'd like you to play Wolverine again in the new Deadpool movie. We will give you a dump truck full of money.

Jackman: No, I'm done.

Exec: You can also swear as much as you like.

Jackman: Ya fuckin' beauty. Where do I sign?

I mean, every man has his price :australia:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

MikeJF posted:

Well, to each their own, but if we're talking about overall superhero movie reception for the purposes of the topic, be aware yours was a very minority opinion.

While there's lots who prefer one of the others, in general the overall reaction to 3 was quite positive.

Lol I know, and i never said it wasn't successful. But even the folks who loved it must have felt like it was a postscript to the preceding era, and certainly doing nothing to stave off the entropy of the MCU's second decade.

Who knows what the hell Warner are doing either.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's so stupid cuz word to the Apes series, Hollywood can make a cgi monkey emote and be compelling but I guess Disney can't make a "live action" lion king that doesn't look like AI made it.

The Apes movies are Disney, bro.

Feels like Disney the parent company hasn't known what it is doing since the mid 90s, they've made some big purchases which brought audiences but their general mismanagement seems to inevitably creep in (quicker in some cases than in others). I think Pixar is their only brand that's maintained its prestige somewhat.

It's funny to see people convinced they're on the verge of bankruptcy "because of woke" though. In the very unlikely event Disney ever goes down it'll be because of a series of terrible bets on unprofitable tech and/or the general collapse of living standards, not whatever the mush-brained gently caress nuts on YouTube are obsessed with.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 29, 2024

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
jizz in he pant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Fury Road earned a blind watch for the next one from me, so I'm avoiding all Furiosa trailers like the plague.

Three Thousand Years of Longing had a certain stylised cgi look to it that was consistent enough that it wasn't distracting, but I'm hoping that was just for that film and Miller isn't convinced it looked photorealistic.

Broad daylight is still the hardest lighting to pull off for this stuff, but it can be done, Top Gun looked drat near perfect in parts - but they were at least replacing real stand-in jets so their visual references were as good as you could get.