Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Jaime Reyes is such a cool character, he could easily be one of the pillars you build the DCU on. I want this to be good so badly.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the movie cares what I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
There's a lot of very poor decisions to be dazzled by in Cats, but one that's always gotten to me is that Hooper seemed to completely miss the joke that's underlying the entire premise of the play, which is that... they're cats. None of them are lying, but... they're cats. They are puffed up with self-importance and think the entire world revolves around them, because they are cats. The housecat isn't lazy, it's training the roaches and mice (which wouldn't be there at all if it was doing its job) to be productive members of society. At night, when you're asleep! That's why you don't notice. The magic cat is magic because every time you go looking for it, you can't find it. It disappeared with its marvelous magic! The railway cat isn't napping in the sun next to the window, it is counting all the trains that go by; a valuable service, one that without it would cripple the railyard. The crime cat pushes a glass off a table and walks away, a Moriarty in its own mind. That's the loving joke. The really, really obvious joke.

And Hooper was like "hmmm no I'm pretty sure they're telling the literal truth, let's play everything deadly straight".

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

kiimo posted:

I have never understood the fascination with the original musical, which I've never seen, before this post.

I'm rethinking everything
There's no plot whatsoever. Sum total of the story is that the Jellicle tribe of cats (never explained) are getting together to decide who goes to the Heaviside Layer (never explained, seems to be something they want), so everyone who wants to go takes a turn getting up and singing a song about how awesome they are. At the end, the sad cat is chosen. That's it. Apart from crime cat kidnapping the boss cat (which in the play he does for no apparent reason other than to be a dick and, mostly, as setup so the magic cat can bring him back as his big magic trick), all the plot in the movie is stuff Hooper grafted on because, again, there is no plot in the musical. Because there's no plot and no story, you don't need to follow anything, there's no chance you're going to be offended or confused, you can just sit back and watch an unending parade of musical numbers. It's pure spectacle. Whole families can enjoy it together. gently caress, even if you don't speak English, you're not actually gonna miss all that much.

The cats interact with the audience somewhat. They're aware that they're being watched, they address the crowd, sometimes they move out into it. This was groundbreaking stuff in the 80s.

But mostly it's that the songs are catchy and the coreography is great, and there's a massive difference between watching a CGI puppet and an actual human body in motion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GopStZ8_Xo

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 12, 2023

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

happyhippy posted:

I wonder if they beat the soviets.
I must admit that the trailers, at least, attempting to wring some suspense from "will they light the entire atmosphere on fire and kill all living beings on Earth" amuses the poo poo out of me. (Yes, I know it was something they genuinely worried about.)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Has there been any word or a leaked synopsis or anything that explains where the Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis' ghosts have gotten off to? They were the main characters god drat it :mad:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If you're wondering why Maximus was fighting in every war, it's because IIRC he was cursed/fated to do it, because he's the Roman soldier in the Bible that killed Christ.

It really is a bonkers, extremely out-of-the-box script.
...and the minor detail where Gladiator 1 took place in 180 AD was going to be explained how exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Lizard Combatant posted:

You saying he didn't fight a war in that one?
He just doesn't go around telling people, it's a bit embarrassing you know.
I am saying that that plot plays out a skosh differently if he's immortal and has known about it for a century and a half, yes.