Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I received the Mel Brooks blu ray collection as a Christmas gift. The hardback book that came with it is pretty nice. And I realized that outside of Spaceballs, Blazing Saddles, and Robinhood, Mel Brooks has quite a few movies I haven't seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Is there a best version of Citizen Kane on bluray? I see there is both a 70th and 75th anniversary editions at least.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
This thread is becoming too advanced for me. I looked at the kino lorber sale and recognized maybe 5 of the movies. I dont know where to start with most of these, though I do try a lot of films on criterion channel/sales.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Thanks for the recommendations all. Hope I didn't come off as complaining or anything. I am legit impressed by the film knowledge in this thread, and will definitely look into some of these films.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Are those new steel books supposed to have different content? The current 4k of Vertigo in the set is already quite nice and has some solid extras. Definitely the way to watch older films.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Anyone seen the 4K uhd of Ran? I saw it in theaters a few years ago during its re-release and have been waiting to pick it up. But Amazon has some mixed reviews on the 4K visuals.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Cemetry Gator posted:

I have it. The rough thing about Amazon is that they link all the different versions together, like the UHD streaming version.

But it seems like critics agree with me, it's a good disc.

https://hd-report.com/reviews/ran-1985-4k-blu-ray-review/

Thanks. Good to hear it turned out nicely. I will definitely be picking this up then

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Steen71 posted:

Uhm... what? I have seen no evidence of this quality control. The LOTR DVDs were fine, the Theatrical BDs were an embarrassment, the Extended Editions were better except Fellowship was ridiculously green, and the UHDs of both LOTR and Hobbit are filtered and sharpened almost as bad as old Universal BDs. Also, have you seen what he did to The Beatles?

I watched all of Get Back and thought it looked pretty good overall. There’s some stuff with too much DNR at times perhaps, but most of it looked fine to me. I feel like maybe more of the issues were in first episode where they had poorer lighting in warehouse? I dunno also like 6-7 hours of this so kind of adapt after a while.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
For some reason I felt like watching crouching tiger, hidden dragon again and picked up the 4K. Looks really good, a very nice upgrade from last time I saw it. Also just generally a great film.

The dialogue comes in a bit quiet though compared to the action scenes, but not sure why.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Escape from New York was already on the 4K Carpenter pack. Is this new release a different scan or something? Or more features?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Egbert Souse posted:

Worth noting that StudioCanal owns four Carpenter films worldwide except for the North American rights, so Shout is just licensing the master from them while the film itself from MGM. That just leaves The Fog to be released. Worth noting They Live and Prince of Darkness were also StudioCanal masters, but the North American rights are with Universal instead (SC owns them via Carolco since they were coproductions).

Looks like I can safely sell off my Carpenter steelbooks except for Big Trouble in Little China.

Ah ok, looks like I got the studio canal 4K 4 pack last year. But picked it up from Amazon so didn’t realize their were various distributors.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I have still not watched Lost Highway, so perfect.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Oh are the extras new for this version of millers crossing? I am all about extras with physical media.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I dunno, other post was right. Hausu is probably crazier than malignant. Or at least at same level. There’s probably some other equally wild films in the collection I’m not thinking of.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I am surprised Malignant doesn’t have a 4K physical release yet. Backwards men need to be shown in maximum clarity.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
This sale made me realize I haven’t received my touch of evil preorder yet. Have those gone out?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Ah good to know. Thanks. Wasn’t sure if it was FedEx having issues.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Nicer cover than the one I got with the Neo pose. This a different version than the 4K release from March?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Is the final cut of apocalypse now the best cut? Or simply what’s available now? I actually have yet to sit down and watch all of apocalypse now, so haven’t kept up with the various versions.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Franchescanado posted:

That is a 6 disc set, and it has the Final Cut, Original 1979 Cut, and Redux cut all on 4k UHD. Plus a blu-ray of special features, a blu-ray of Hearts of Darkness documentary, and two blu-rays with all three cuts of the movie.

So you can watch all three and decide which you like yourself! It's a great set at a great price.

From what I remember and have read:

I like the theatrical version most.

The Final Cut is new to the 4k UHD, and is shorter than Redux by about 20 minutes, but includes stuff that was in Redux.

Redux is almost an hour longer than the original, and is mostly known for including a long sub-plot about a French plantation and a sub-plot about Playboy Playmates.

I would say you should watch the theatrical version first, and then Final Cut on a rewatch, and then Redux if you want to see even more on a later rewatch.

Thanks! Great info, and will def check it out now.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Just watched the Touch of Evil 4K. Great looking and solid film. So many interesting shots and camera uses. And Lol at all the marijuana scare in it.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Dang, was hoping it was coming sooner. Been waiting to watch this one finally.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Chris James 2 posted:

I'm hopeful we get Lost Highway sooner, but wouldn't be surprised if Inland Empire is timed to be beside that

https://twitter.com/underthefan119/status/1535559811504517121

I also need to watch Lost Highway still and was holding out for 4K there also. May just have to give on that one.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Definitely never seen the same movie in a theater 8 times.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
There’s always just too many films I want to watch in theaters. Now at home I’ve definitely watched the same movie more than 8 times.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I have two Barnes within 40 minutes that sell movies. The closer one used to have a big movie section with knowledgable staff. I remember one of the guys talked me into getting Chimes at Midnight also while I was picking something else up. Now most of that movie section is replaced by board games.

Luckily the farther store still has a solid section with multiple shelves of criterion’s and an expanding Arrow section. But I miss the knowledgable staff.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Anyone know how the Fury Road 4K compares to the Blu-ray (which I already own)?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Thanks. Maybe I’ll hold off on the Fury Road UHD for now.

So far I’ve picked up the Back to the future set and the big Lebowski uhd as it’s one of my favorite films but somehow I’ve never owned it.

Trying to see what other uhds might be in that $10 range.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
The Martian and Last Duel are both solid. I kind of remember body of lies being interesting but don’t remember too much about it. I saw the Getty one in theaters and it was fine but it very memorable.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I live 20 minutes away from their CT store, so I've gone pretty regularly. Very cool place and it's nice to have a store that actually sells a lot of physical media near me.

Oh didn’t know they had a store in Ct. good to know with so many stores dropping most blu rays already.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Happy Hippo posted:

Heat in 4K is $8 on Amazon rn

Thanks for the heads up!

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Anyone know if there is a Solaris (Soderbergh 2002 one) blu ray? Also a search yields some 2018 articles talking about a 4K release but not seeing anything. There seems to be a German blu ray on Amazon at least.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

zer0spunk posted:

A24 put up the store page for the collectors edition of EEAAO, out in august.

oct criterion titles announced too, I'm in for videodrome for sure..probably grab The Others, though that doesn't really feel criterion ish, but it was still a decent lil ghost flick.

Good to know collectors edition of EEAAO. I’ll have to buy it again I suppose. Don’t care about the legal papers but booklet and packaging looks cool. And love more commentaries.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Picked up park Chan-wooks Vengeance Trilogy Arrow set for I think region B. Glad I got the region free player last year, but why are none of these films available in America.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Awesome, excited for a 4K Conan the Barbarian. Destroyer is fine also I guess.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

dorium posted:

https://x.com/jordanmaison/status/1724805227021480390?s=46
Start saving your pennies. Box art is…. Fine

Yeah I don’t get the choice for this box art. It’s just boring.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah I like the art a lot and more extras is always welcome.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Same, that’s a lot of Conan in that set. Tons of extras

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
“Archive commentary for Conan the Barbarian by John Milius and Arnold Schwarzenegger”

First Conan is a classic and has one of the best musical scores. Second film is less good, though I haven’t watched Destroyer in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Awesome, really enjoyed watching it in theaters this year so will pick up.