Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I still have a bunch of DVDs I'll probably never bother upgrading. Don't @ me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

On a scale of 0 to Don't loving Do That, how wrong of me would it be to, say, put my Fight Club Blu-ray with its shameful cover art in that rad special edition DVD packaging?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Wait are we not all just putting the discs in binders and throwing everything else away?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

My kids are gonna be so confused when they're not toddlers anymore and the physical media comes back out of its hiding places.

They'll also be confused about the spines of the Fast and Furious movies and why they're so close to going together yet so far.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 4, 2018

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

IUG posted:

I've been taking all the paper and disks out of the case, and throwing the case away. I get these sleeves from Amazon, and put them in a box (also from Amazon). I finished my DVD collection, and just kept going from there. I've long since run out of room to display all of them.

(Comparison of space saved by doing just the MCU films.)

what the fu

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The Pro doesn't play UHD.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

This is weird, it's like somebody went back in time to the 90's with a GoPro.

Think of how big that camera must have been

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ha, then we’ll have the ‘Disney black diamond tapes are worth a fortune!’ craziness again, when they absolutely weren’t.

E: link for relevance https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/black-diamond-collection-disney/

I wish whoever wrote the clickbait article that made all those moms think that would use their powers for good, like telling them they need to run Windows Update or that the antivirus trial that came with their HP isn't doing anything anymore.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

My first DVD was the non-anamorphic widescreen/fullscreen flipper of True Lies that somehow had anamorphic menus. One special feature: a trailer. I believe it is still the reigning North American home video release.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

First HDDVD was Goodfellas. First BluRay was Bullitt, which is a profoundly boring movie when it's not the car chase.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

CPL593H posted:

If it wasn't for that chase scene no one would give a poo poo about Bullitt. I can't even remember anything else that happens.

The movie spends 5 minutes cutting between men standing motionless in a room and a fax printing a picture line by line.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Divx very impressively got wrong everything that was possible to get wrong.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

The Divx’s lasting legacy will be as a minor Penny Arcade character.

Also the pirate codec of the same name

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

Remember that weird temporary DVD format? I remember there was this alternate DVD rental service that tried to take off where the DVD self deteriorated after being watched once or opened (I can't remember.) What weird times. I don't remember what they were called and I don't even know how I'd parse it in a Google search to find an ancient article about them.

Making disc rot a feature

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Blockbuster once lost the DVD copy of Sneakers that we definitely returned and charged us $39.99 for it. It was at Target for like $12. gently caress Blockbuster.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The "rental price" bit was a VHS thing.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Egbert Souse posted:

What would be the right things to look for in a laserdisc player? I’m thinking of getting one, but I have no idea where to start.

A good CRT to hook it up to, because Laserdisc looks like assssssss on a modern TV

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

xarph posted:

People forget that Laserdisc is literally composite video (the yellow RCA jack). The advantage in picture quality at the time was relative to VHS, which degraded with use. As opposed to laserdisc, which degraded even without use. :v:

I've always been curious about MUSE LD but that's a whole other thing you're not gonna find at a thrift store. I got a Laserdisc player in college (~2005) and used it to be the one guy who checked the Laserdiscs out from Newman Library, but we all had CRTs then and they looked fine. I really don't see any value in first-timing the format now. I'm sure Techmoan has some fun YouTube videos that'll give a prospective buyer all the experience they need.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Timby posted:

They were indeed sourced from the laserdiscs. They're non-anamorphic and they look like swamp rear end.

There's some pretty atrocious interlacing there, if memory serves.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I think Speed belongs on the same pedestal as Die Hard and it really seems like a forgotten blockbuster.

Jan de Bont had so much potential.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Seriously how did Watership Down get made

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Timby posted:

No. Reportedly the rights to Silence reverted to Martha De Laurentiis last August, and Fuller made noise about getting the band back together for a fourth season, but presumably the financing never came together. (Fuller's reputation also really took a major hit over the last two years or so.)

Yea Fuller's really throw a lot of dirt onto his own grave lately

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Almost Blue posted:

Wait, what happened with Fuller? I haven't kept up with TV in the past few years besides Twin Peaks

QuitFired from the Star Trek, not coming back to American Gods - getting a rep for being hard to work with and not super dependable.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Pushing Daisies was overrated

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

drat, the Britposters hit the jackpot today

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

wa27 posted:

I've never heard of that but it looks interesting. I like Desperately Seeking Susan, which was apparently the director's followup to this.

A surprising amount of boobs in that one.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Sir Kodiak posted:

Today I learned that my Blu-ray copy of Take Shelter has tripled in value.

Also, here's some UV codes. Please post if you take one so others know not to bother:

Deadpool 1: 4KJAAVLYU4WFA7D2

The Raid 2: 3R2R 3EV8 NR74 HN15

mother!: 7FRPE79JN6XM

Got The Raid 2. Thanks!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Ego-bot posted:

John Wick 2 TFMNJTXPYH4M
Star Wars Last Jedi LCP4AB98LSQ
Star Trek Beyond ALMRX69XN7XP
Blade Runner 2049 XXTJBWBQWM9V
Alien Covenant 4PVRU9TYD7L9BRE1
Justice League MKTVT9HQ22WX
Dr Strange TB8HZMV79PY
Thor 3 F5JF5N7M8EU
Guardians of the Galaxy 3 2SRK3VKTWLC

Let me know if I screwed up typing any of these.

Are these UV codes or another service?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Liar Lyre posted:

4k set of all the Predator films is coming in August. Hopefully this will be the definitive version of Predator. Not too grainy, not too waxy, just right.

They're gonna put an Instagram filter on it or some poo poo.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Alec Eiffel posted:

Is it worth it to get a 4K player if you don’t have HDR?

No.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Today I found out my wife, with whom I saw Jurassic World, was completely unaware of the existence of The Lost World and Jurassic Park III.

So now I have to sit through JP3 again.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I don't think LW is very good but it's interesting enough as a product of its time and the meta-narrative of getting the series off the ground that I still like watching it. JP3 is just like "well the last one made money and Sam Neill is game."

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

david_a posted:

I can’t hate The Lost World because the ending is the closest we’ll ever get to a live-action Calvin & Hobbes film.

I was certain they we're about to smash to "To Be Continued" when the trex roared into the horizon and the movie kept going.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

I found the first Jurassic Park on Blu for $6 over the weekend, it's a decent enough blu-ray but it's hampered by the usual Universal disc bloat. After not having seen it in 10-15 years, and I think the seams are definitely starting to show. It's not that it doesn't still look good, especially considering how old it is, I can just now detect the CGI more than I did back in the day.

There were a few things I observed in my old man state though. First is it's very much a disaster movie, a lot of the plot that I remember being removed or changed from the book streamlines it as such.

This leads to the second observation, which is exactly how little you actually see of the dinosaurs. Most shots are distant with either a physical model when the actors are interacting, or the few close ups filling in for the limitations of the models.

I watched the Blu on Saturday evening, and turned off the PS4, only to see Jurassic Park; NBC was coincidentally also showing Jurassic Park that evening.

I've noticed NBC spends more prime time air showing movies than any other network. They'll bust some out for Universal corporate synergy (like JP), but sometimes they'll just show, like, Fast Five for no discernable reason.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Kvantum posted:

Fast series is Universal as well.

Well yeah, I more meant that they weren't just doing it to push a new sequel since one wasn't coming out at the time.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The nice thing about getting older is knowing when you're off the train with a franchise. After Furious 7 was fine but tonally weird, and F8 was just bad, I know "my" end to the F&F movies was 6, so if I see a 1-6 boxset I can just jump on it and not give a gently caress.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Sir Kodiak posted:

Justin Lin (who directed 3-6) is back for 9 and 10.

P-Dubs isn't.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'd like to thank HDR for making video as confusing and annoying as audio.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Egbert Souse posted:

Kino Lorber is releasing Cabin Boy on Sept 18

• New Audio Commentary by star Chris Elliott and director Adam Resnick
• New Interview with star Chris Elliott and director Adam Resnick
• Limited Edition booklet essay by film critic Nick Pinkerton (Blu-ray only)
• Archival cast & crew interviews featuring Chris Elliott, Ritch Brinkley, James Gammon, Brian Doyle-Murray, Brion James, Melora Walters, Russ Tamblyn, production designer Steven Legler and writer/director Adam Resnick
• B-Roll Footage
• Edited outtakes
• Newly commissioned art by Jacob Phillips
• 5 TV spots
• Limited Edition O-Card (Blu-ray only)
• Reversible Art
• Theatrical Trailer

See, this is the kind of poo poo I used to live for back in the DVD days. I'm having this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

CPL593H posted:

My brother had a PSP for a short time and I think it came with Spider-Man 2. It was a cool idea but in a world where you can stream video from 800 different devices that fit in your pocket it's kind of silly. The PSP itself was kind of a waste of money too because it was just a "meh" thing that didn't really have a very impressive game library. At least it wasn't the N-Gage.

How dare you