Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
First DVD I bought was the 1998 Anchor Bay release of Hellraiser. The next week, I bought Silence of the Lambs, my first Criterion. There wasn't much of a price difference then, since most DVDs were 30+ bucks at the time.

The first DVD that blew me away, transfer wise, was the limited Anchor Bay THX remaster of Halloween, supervised by Dean Cundey in 1999. I had the THX vhs release and did a simultaneous comparison between them, switching back and forth with my remote, and couldn't believe the quality difference. That was the moment DVD really hooked me. It's a testament to its quality that it's still available as the standard Halloween DVD release now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Aesthetically, a row of snapcases look better on the shelf than standard cases. The only problem is that you can't take them off the drat shelf.

Also, I my first DVD player was some hulking RCA machine with zero options of course. It was slow as hell, slower than my first gen blu ray player. Pretty sure I paid in excess of $300 for it, one of the first high dollar purchases I ever made. It's still in a closet, somewhere. :corsair:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
All this color correction talk reminded me of the original TT release of NOTLD '90. Man, what a fuckup.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Egbert Souse posted:

lol Disney owns Freddie Got Fingered now

Can't wait for the FGF expanded universe.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I just dug out my vhs for House on Tombstone Hill last week. That restoration almost looks too good.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Timby posted:

Their CEO (not the one they fired a few months ago, the guy he replaced) pretty much bet the company's future on Nook tablets and nerd toys. A friend of mine has worked for them part-time for fifteen years, and he says morale at his store is worse than it's ever been and it's like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

This is extremely true. I used to work there when I was in school, and have a few friends who are still there. They laid off thousands of their most reliable workers a few months ago and cut hours to skeleton crews, while making higher demands on the people left, so anybody still working there is overworked and miserable. Also, that most recent CEO was canned a few weeks ago with no parachute for reasons undisclosed, and everybody thinks it's a metoo moment.

It's a company still being steered by a dude in his 70s who has no idea what to do except try to sell more toys and their lovely member cards, which has as much long term value as getting a Blockbuster membership in 2010.

I give it another year, tops.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

ruddiger posted:

Didn't they literally just fire like more than half of their employees?

Def not half, just the ones who had been there the longest and had the most responsibilities. In other words, the most expensive.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
gently caress that, bring back rca videodisc

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Spatulater bro! posted:

Shout! Factory announcement:

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/the-mangler?product_id=6925

Has anyone seen this? The credits pique my interest, but I'm hearing pretty bad things about it.

The Mangler is awful, even from a perspective that's very forgiving when it comes to trash horror. It's a weaker King story already, and as a movie it's one of Hooper's worst, which is saying something with poo poo like Night Terrors and the pilot to Freddy's Nightmares under his belt. The only saving graces are the gore and Robert Englund hamming it up big time. He was the only guy who seemed to know what this was.

I never saw the two sequels.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah, the new 4K release of Halloween is the same source transfer they used for the 35th Anniversary blu ray from a few years ago, and the colors are noticeably muted and cool compared to the previous standard blu ray, and especially compared to the old THX DVD transfer that Cundey supervised for Anchor Bay, which had super saturated orange and blue.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Egbert Souse posted:

Summer of Sam this Spring.

I just passingly glanced at this and got super excited because I thought it was Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring. :(

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
ravager was hot garbage. I love the rest, tho.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Renny Harlin sucks rear end, but I'll be damned if NOES 4 and yes Ford Fairlane aren't both highly entertaining movies.

Also, I want to say that Tuesday Knight revealed in a not so subtle way in Never Sleep Again that she got her part by banging Harlin, so there's that.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

ultraviolence123 posted:

Nothing tops the guy at the blu-ray.com forums that was posting about the supposed black crush on some of the recent Sony discs, so he tracked down the phone number for cinematographer of one of the movies and called him to complain.

I hope it was the dp for Me Myself and Irene or some other mundane poo poo

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

For anyone who still has money leftover from the Barnes & Noble Criterion sale, Arrow Video just announced that their 50% off Barnes & Noble sale has begun and runs through 1/6/2019.

Jesus, now all I need is a half off Shout sale and kiss all my paychecks goodbye.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
What Hammer films are owned by Canal?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Ugh I just want a US blu of Curse of Frankenstein dammit.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

if I'm remembering correctly, this isn't quite an accurate summation of what happened. iirc Anchor Bay commissioned it for a theatrical release, and then hosed him on actually releasing it or paying him for it, because by the time it was done the 3D fad had basically died (I remember they were planning a similar thing for Battle Royale that also fell through, though in that case the conversion was never actually made). this left him way in the hole financially, hence the current Dawn rights situation.

I've heard it was the other way around, with Rubenstein being the prime mover for the conversion. I find it hard to believe that a seasoned producer like him would use his own cash to convert a film solely at the behest of another company without a written agreement for compensation.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
It's a gorgeous movie, but man it turned to ridiculous schlock in that last leg.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
That guy has been trying to sell his collection for years. He has a video of his collection on youtube and it's the saddest thing because he obviously buys out of compulsion. He regularly updates the listing with new purchases, it's bizarre.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
And the owning multiple copies of the same thing factor isn't because of double dipping when the upgrades come out. On day one, he bought BR2049 on DVD, Blu-ray, Blu-Ray Steelbook, Blu-ray3D, and 4K. He's the blu-ray.com forums incarnate.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
A film can be entertaining even if it's reprehensibly immoral garbage. A benefit of being a rational animal is that we can think both of these things at the same time, and thinking it's the former is in no way necessarily denying the latter.

That being said, I've never seen Birth of a Nation. But I do own a copy of Triumph of the Will and can appreciate it as an example of documentary and fascist propaganda while at the same time thinking it's morally bankrupt at best and wishing it had never existed.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Wait, what happened in Bill & Ted?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
We're pretty much at the end stage of transfer quality improvement. Good thing for the studios that streaming and the death of physical media came along, so in the future they'll be able to charge people for access to their libraries in perpetuity.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Hmm I've been a subscriber since the beginning and don't see an email.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I used to organize my movies by the mood they put me in, so I can't really judge.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
That extended cut of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly was a colossal waste of time and the only version widely available for a decade. Ditto with The Exorcist: The Version You've Never Seen and Apocalypse Now: Redux. The early-mid 2000s were full of this bullshit thanks to the success of DVD. Hell, you still can't get the right cut of Once Upon a Time in the West.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The Halloween 6 producers cut ain't essential to anything.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

CPL593H posted:

This seems pointless to me because it seems like people who still care about physical media and especially those buying from the boutique labels would be buying blu-rays only.

You would think so, but Criterion's attempt to go fully dual-format a few years ago ended up costing them, because they underestimated how many DVD-only customers would just stop buying.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
A Kitano box of 10 or so movies is one of my dream releases, but the US rights are all over the place.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Does watching a movie in vr feel like you're looking up at a giant screen, or just holding your phone up to your face?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Almost Blue posted:

Shout Factory just announced a Bela Lugosi/Boris Karloff box set:

https://twitter.com/Scream_Factory/status/1083418614462439424

No special features announced yet.

Sweet, I've been meaning to watch the Lugosi/Karloff Raven for a long time.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

FancyMike posted:

This is good, I like the commitment to efficiency. It's probably worth it though to give up just a little more space for how much more convenient it is to page through a nice binder.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I went to a video store in Austin a couple of days ago and they had an entire section for vhs releases from Something Weird video, tons of which never got an official DVD release. There's a very select niche of people that treasure something like a tape of 'Love Goddesses from Blood Island' or '3 on a Waterbed', and are the guardians of a certain kind of sleaze that would totally disappear to time without them, and I salute them for it.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

CPL593H posted:

Are there really people paying 100 dollars for loving Airheads?

Comcast used to have a Something Weird section in their VOD service and it ruled. They got rid of it several years ago. VOD was much weirder about ten years ago, I guess maybe the fragmenting of streaming sites is a thing that effects that platform too.

Yeah, Something Weird stuff is available on the Full Moon streaming service now.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
There's Shaw Bros movies on Netflix???

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
That's not dynamic contrast. I don't know what that is. It looks like a bad filter, like the color dropped to 256 while sharpness turned up 300%.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Opera might be the most visually stunning movie Argento ever made. I don't remember a drat thing about the plot, but I sure do remember the camerawork.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Egbert Souse posted:

Lost Highway (with commentary by Tim Lucas, one-long interview with David Lynch, booklet essay, and the trailer)

Yeah, about those extras...

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1118936745746292737

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The best use of the alternate angles feature I ever saw was Matthew Barney's Cremaster 3 DVD. It isn't the whole movie, which is something like 3 hours, but a 45 minute or so scene that was shot in the Guggenheim. You can use the angle switch at any time to visit the different floors of the museum to see the poo poo that's going on at the same time, so if you're watching Barney prance around in a goat costume on level 2 and want to see what's happening on level 4 you can change the angle and now you're there, watching a weird battle of the bands between Agnostic Front and Murphy's Law.