Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
Netflix is pulling the show tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mem
Sep 1, 2005
If you are a Carpenter fan I just watched Christine on a 4k oled and that movie looked amazing to me. Halloween was pretty good, too.

Next release I'm looking forward to is 2001 later this month.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
Even the female gang is lesbians. The boys constantly complain about the Rosario Dawson look alike, the only hetero female, coming with them too.

Love that movie. Watched it not too long ago with my son, he also enjoyed it.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
The Wizard of Oz remaster looks crazy good. I can't believe this movie is 80 years old.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
If you are a Fulci fan, the recent The House by the Cemetery remaster by Blue Underground looks superb. Pretty good extras, watched the special effects one and they go through all the gore scenes talking about how they did them and the guy even shows some of the devices they used.

If you are not, it's a pretty wtf nonsensical plot, although I found it interesting enough.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
Revenge of the Sith is by far the best looking uhd of the first six movies, and I thought it looked terrific in general. I thought it was as impressive as I thought The Phantom Menace looked terrible (and boy does it, seemed like vaseline was smeared on the camera at points).

I recently watched the uhd box set of all nine films so they are pretty fresh in my mind.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Why would you do this to yourself?

Lol, I hadn't seen them in quite some time. The prequels I hadn't seen since the theatre, the originals probably from before that, and I hadn't seen episode 9 yet.

Empire looked the worst of the original trilogy. The new ones all looked superb. And yeah I can get someone not liking the look of RotS but it's transfer to uhd was excellent.

I guess I hadn't seen the originals since Lucas shitted em up, some of that was jarring.

And The Phantom Menace is easily the worst uhd I've seen (and I have T2).

I guess I've just been bored during quarintine, I also watched the Fast and Furious box set recently. I hadn't seen any of those prior.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
You might be right, it's been a couple weekends since I watched the original trilogy, maybe I was just more disappointed since I like Empire more. It just had some really uneven DNR, but there was some of that going on in RotJ and aNH as well for sure. All three of these are in the same ballpark at least.

Edit:. I've never watched the blurays for comparison.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

RichterIX posted:

Is the Gamera box set region free or do I need to buy it from someplace specific if I'm in the US?

It's not region free, good luck finding it though. Amazon has the region 2 version, but they are sold out of region 1 (along with everyone else it seems).

Edit:. Sounds like both the US and UK versions are the same except for the UK rating on the discs (so both are region A/B). Several folks on Blu-ray forums have said this.

mem fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 22, 2020

mem
Sep 1, 2005
Isn't streaming's popularity going to slow down 8k adoption? 4k streaming is already pushing it where I live (small town America).

I did watch The Sword and The Sorcerer on dvd the other day on a 65 inch oled with my ub820 and I thought it looked pretty darn good. It never got a Blu Ray release.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
I love Starship Troopers, but I couldn't tell you a thing about how the 4k looked other than you could see the dudes taint when he mooned the camera when Rico was recording a clip for his girl. 10/10

When I get home gonna marathon the first four Friday the 13th movies, looks like the box set shipped a week early.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
The 4k masters on the Friday the 13th look really good, I'm on VI now. Friday the 13th 3D looked pretty soft, and that one had some film damage as well.

Forgot about Crispin Glover's dancing on Final Chapter, has to be the height of the series.

The poster shout factory included was really nice, not sure what I'm gonna do with it though.

mem fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 10, 2020

mem
Sep 1, 2005
You fuckers think just cause a guy reads comics he can't start some poo poo?

I'm not really a Kevin Smith fan but I love Mallrats (Clerk's is alright too). My cousin got me Brodie's shirt for Christmas a few years back. We used to quote the poo poo out of that movie in high school.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
I have Panasonic's UB820 and I love that player. Maybe they will be on sell for black Friday, I'm pretty sure I saw them half off or close to it not too long ago ($500 regular price).

The only problem I've ever had with it is the uhd GiTS (cartoon version) had some weird pulsing in the dolby vision layer. Had to switch that one to hdr 10 and it played fine. Evidently other people with the player had the same issue.

Otherwise it's handles everything like a champ and is even good at upscaling blurays and DVDs.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
If I was trying to impress someone, I would put in Lawrence of Arabia. It really is something.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
VS has been having issues too, but my Beastmaster 4k shipped today. Don't judge me. Swords and sorcery is my favorite genre and oh boy is there a dearth of quality cinema to be found there. Not sure how the black painted tiger is going to hold up under 4k.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

CPL593H posted:

What's this about?

Assuming he's referring to Olivia Jackson, Milla's stunt double on RE The Final Chapter. Had a motorcycle accident that resulted in her arm amputated and was in a coma with brain swelling and such. She had to sue because she received so little money for her medical bills.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
I saw Independence Day on opening weekend with a packed crowd and right when they are attacking the mothership "enjoy a refreshing coke" popped up on the screen but the sound kept playing. Probably took them five or ten minutes to stop playing the film, then they resumed from that point and gave us free vouchers when we were exiting the theatre. People were throwing popcorn and poo poo, never seen anything like it.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
The only 4k discs I've had problems with are both steel cases. The Meg and Wonder Woman (both Warner Bros). The Meg is unplayable (skips and halts starting from very early in the movie), disc doesn't look damaged either. I've tried the disc in both an xbox one and my ub820. Wonder Woman starts skipping bad around the time she trucks the church building, again no noticable damage to the disc.

I normally don't do steel books but I think both of those were Christmas presents or something.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

Cloks posted:

You're not missing out on much.

Yeah those movies aren't great but kind of scary that two newer movies exhibit issues like that. I take care of my things too. It ain't like we have watched those a ton either. I'm hoping WB just had some bad prints or something.

I can't recall any of my dvds or blurays going bad.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
Just watched Tenebrae for the first time. Great film, and an absolute riot of an ending. The 4k transfer looked great.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
E.T. came out around the time I turned 5, and I still eat Reese's Pieces. Haven't seen the movie since 1982 though.

When does Mac and Me get a 4k?

mem fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 16, 2022

mem
Sep 1, 2005

Boywhiz88 posted:

Got an actual update on my Showgirls UHD, deliver is next Wednesday. Ugh :(

It looks great. I hadn't watched it since 95-96. Wife and I still very much enjoyed the movie though, some great lines in there.

I hope they do Flesh and Blood now that they've worked with Verhoeven.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
Ub820 is great but ours started not reading lots of uhds after a couple of years. We would clean the drive and it would go for a month or two and then that stopped working. Not all uhds but easily 1/3 to 1/2 of my collection would just not read.

I just ordered another one on Amazon and swapped the drives and returned it - but the replacement drive is $200 if that's too unscrupulous for you.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
Raising Arizona would be a hell of a lot more fun. No Country is such a bleak movie.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
I'm no professional but I'm watching the Titanic 4k right now and it looks pretty incredible. One of the better of the format I would say.

I just finished the Point Break 4k and it was a lot more fun though.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
You trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curve ball?

mem
Sep 1, 2005
I sub and just got shipping notification on the 26th. I have 30 some odd movies delivering this week lol - not all vinsyn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mem
Sep 1, 2005
Se7en has a 4k on the way, announced with the What's in the Box set.