Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Taima posted:

gently caress I hope this makes sense sorry lol in effect it's just:

Open Safari and Youtube = sub account with a throw away video history for stuff I don't want tainting my poo poo
Open Chrome and Youtube= my main sub account where I am ok/want videos to affect my algorithm

Just try a few (safe) videos and see if you have two different watch histories?

Xakura fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I tried that but there are weird similarities that make me wonder if there's some kind of blending going on. But my sample size is low, so I am just wondering if someone knows :shrug:

Did you need to snip my entire giant post just to say that tho

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Taima posted:

Did you need to snip my entire giant post just to say that tho

Now you expect me to make an effort? :colbert:

Taima posted:

I tried that but there are weird similarities that make me wonder if there's some kind of blending going on. But my sample size is low, so I am just wondering if someone knows :shrug:

I don't mean "look at your suggestions and guess at watch history", I mean navigate to watch history on your two profiles and see if they are different. I don't have premium so I dunno

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Algorithms are tricky. They could easily blend watch histories. It's your account after all, just under 2 aliases.

Anyways... it's all good... thanks though...

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
YouTube premium has the ability to add a couple more accounts as a “family deal”. I have my wife and daughter under my YouTube premium account and (thank god) their YouTube histories don’t affect mine at all. Maybe that’s just because we pay more for family plan though? Idk

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

When you delete things from your watch history you also need to go into advanced history and delete it from your search history if you searched to get to the video. Otherwise it will keep suggesting things from your past searches

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I was thinking of just doing a complete clean slate and seeing what happens, can I just nuke my YouTube history completely or do I need to just create a new account?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Beve Stuscemi posted:

When you delete things from your watch history you also need to go into advanced history and delete it from your search history if you searched to get to the video. Otherwise it will keep suggesting things from your past searches
I recommend turning off YouTube search history all together. I recently turned it off and am happier for it, though I had to blow away my watch history too to make it actually forget my entire search history. I mainly just wanted it to stop displaying my search history in plain view on the TV when I'm trying to put on a YouTube video through the app, but hey, this works too.

priznat posted:

I was thinking of just doing a complete clean slate and seeing what happens, can I just nuke my YouTube history completely or do I need to just create a new account?
You can nuke the history and it'll start over fresh. It will take a minute before your feed is wiped though so don't panic if it doesn't immediately look like anything changed. The only thing to be wary of is that it will also forget where you are in any videos you're not finished yet. Otherwise, if you have subscriptions it'll repopulate the feed pretty quickly. It didn't take long for mine to be back where I wanted it.

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
You're all missing some hilarious new bodging as LMT try to cool do their server room with some old water coolers.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

wibble posted:

You're all missing some hilarious new bodging as LMT try to cool do their server room with some old water coolers.

The only way to win is not to watch. :D

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

wibble posted:

Predictions:
It's 15 minutes long
Chaotic from the start but things really start to go off the rails halfway through
Jake cowboys a fix to some leaky tubing running directly over the live servers as Linus goes "nooooo" and Jim Halperts into the camera
They abruptly wrap it up at the 12-minute mark having made no meaningful progress and say "check back for part two!!!" which will never actually be produced

Steve busts out the laser scanner to get in-the-weeds on coldplates and heat spreaders
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BMYsMGpyFY

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

You left out the part where Linus drops some $5000 piece of equipment at least twice

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

wibble posted:

No we’re not

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I haven't watched a Linus video since his "apology"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FuturePastNow posted:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

CRD handles the other half of the Niveus story, the mutilated Xbox 360.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjrcB2qMbYU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

njsykora posted:

Did I have a dejavu experience with the heatpipe explanation, or has CRD done that before?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

namlosh posted:

YouTube premium has the ability to add a couple more accounts as a “family deal”. I have my wife and daughter under my YouTube premium account and (thank god) their YouTube histories don’t affect mine at all. Maybe that’s just because we pay more for family plan though? Idk

Family accounts are separate, but so are brand accounts. Your recommendations should be distinct across brand accounts, and brand accounts and "you".

The reason is that YouTube's authentication layer, under the hood, is the remains of Google+. A YouTube channel is basically a Facebook "page", but in G+ speak.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Did I have a dejavu experience with the heatpipe explanation, or has CRD done that before?

Yeah he did a much longer explanation of the exact same thing in the part 1 video… complete with melting ice cube

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ok, I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought my brain was broken.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

njsykora posted:

I'm glad to see he's getting back to more interesting devices, the quick start series was getting pretty repetitive and the NUC series wasn't looking very promising either.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah I think Quick Start stalled out faster than he expected once the story became "and every one of these used the exact same solution" outside a handful of really weird ones. Little Guys I still kinda like just because NUCs are cool and it's explicitly a quick and dirty thing in between bigger videos.

Anyway of course one of his subscribers has the Niveus Ice Vault.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Can't believe Intel stopped making the NUC, my Skull Canyon is still rocking like a champ since 2016. :shrug:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Just Another Lurker posted:

Can't believe Intel stopped making the NUC, my Skull Canyon is still rocking like a champ since 2016. :shrug:
Asus took it over, and given that they make ones that are completely fanless like the PN42, it’s probably not a bad idea.

I use one for my HTPC.
It runs a custom build of FreeBSD, that’s only got enough software to run Kodi using Wayland, inspired by LibreELEC.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 10:31 on May 7, 2024

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Asus took it over, and given that they make ones that are completely fanless like the PN42, it’s probably not a bad idea.

I use one for my HTPC.
It runs a custom build of FreeBSD, that’s only got enough software to run Kodi using Wayland, inspired by LibreELEC.

Oh that's nice, if i had money to burn i'd be grabbing the Scorpion Canyon asap but it will just have to stay in my future dreams. :rubby:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I had never actually heard the name "Skull Canyon" and just throught the NUCs with the skull LED was was some weird aliexpress thing and then someone brought one into my shop and it even had "SKULL CON" on the mainboard PCB for the light connection lmao

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

I had never actually heard the name "Skull Canyon" and just throught the NUCs with the skull LED was was some weird aliexpress thing and then someone brought one into my shop and it even had "SKULL CON" on the mainboard PCB for the light connection lmao

I thought it was bloody weird tbh and happily it had a replacement top (minus the skull motif) to make it look sane if required. :ughh:

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Just Another Lurker posted:

I got a Broadwell i3 unit around 10 years ago and it's still doing great. I assume they stopped because they were always more interested in jump starting the mini-PC segment as a way to sell more CPUs than they were in actually selling mini-PCs. Now that a number of other OEMs are making very similar units, they're happy to drop it.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Eletriarnation posted:

I got a Broadwell i3 unit around 10 years ago and it's still doing great. I assume they stopped because they were always more interested in jump starting the mini-PC segment as a way to sell more CPUs than they were in actually selling mini-PCs. Now that a number of other OEMs are making very similar units, they're happy to drop it.

Ahh i see, they wanted to create the right market conditions. :tipshat:

I got one with the i7-6770HQ... probably too much for a linux machine but i loved my retail therapy back then. :ughh:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah there are a whole number of smaller, mostly Chinese OEMs that make comparable if not better mini-PCs now for pretty cheap. I'm running a Minisforum one for a media server/portable emulation box and it's been working great.

I have to admit the new ASUS ones look intriguing but they have a hell of a price premium by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

FuturePastNow posted: